Iona STINKS

Probably why they are on the schedule

Re: "Baldi Bowl"
« Reply #162 on: November 27, 2017, 07:01:32 PM »
46 points ? Hahahahhahahahahahhahahahaha

« Reply #163 on: November 27, 2017, 07:37:10 PM »
46 points ? Hahahahhahahahahahhahahahaha
1-4.  Weber St is a signature win, though.

« Reply #164 on: December 11, 2017, 06:13:35 PM »
Here we come. Be afraid

cjfish

« Reply #165 on: December 11, 2017, 07:11:56 PM »
Coming from Saratoga for the only game I'll see before going South and expect it to be a boring blowout.  Good luck Baldi, you'll need it.

« Reply #166 on: December 11, 2017, 08:14:38 PM »
Coming from Saratoga for the only game I'll see before going South and expect it to be a boring blowout.  Good luck Baldi, you'll need it.

No luck needed here. Iona has to win their conference tournament to get in. St. John's loses this game, so do they.

Poison

« Reply #167 on: December 11, 2017, 08:51:25 PM »
I’m always gonna be concerned when St.John’s plays a team that usually wins their conference. And I agree with Baldi, St.John’s absolutely waited until they thought they’d have a significant advantage over Iona before scheduling them.

I like how we match up with Iona this year much more than in recent years. I could see Jordan Washington dropping 25 and 12 on us. I don’t see anyone on Iona who we need to prepare for. They do not have a clear lead scorer. By Sunday, we should have two.

QuanMan

« Reply #168 on: December 11, 2017, 09:17:11 PM »
I think that Much, Casimir, McGill, Crawford, and Zach Lewis can run with our guards. TK Egodi is also a interesting matchup against Marv, very similar skill sets and frames. Iona has a short bench, especially against supreme talent, however so do we. They are undersized, so are we.

They have 5 players averaging double figures in ppg and feature a roster that is a good mix of under and upperclassmen. These kids won't be intimidated, most of them have NCAA Tourney experience. Add in the local psyche to the game alongside how much Iona will come out wanting to upset us and I think that this could be a trap game.

Our players need to be keenly aware of these matchups and impose their will early or this can be a dangerous matchup quickly, LIUBK and Fordham losses in recent years come to mind. Iona has plenty of capable guards. Avoiding early foul trouble will be key, however much like the past 2-3X opponents in the NCAA Tourney under Cluess, its a bad matchup for him. Both teams like to push the ball and break out into transition. They both feast on turnovers. I think that our stars will ultimately outshine theirs. Close game nonetheless:

Gaels 77
Johnnies 88
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #169 on: December 12, 2017, 12:23:50 AM »
I think that Much, Casimir, McGill, Crawford, and Zach Lewis can run with our guards. TK Egodi is also a interesting matchup against Marv, very similar skill sets and frames. Iona has a short bench, especially against supreme talent, however so do we. They are undersized, so are we.

They have 5 players averaging double figures in ppg and feature a roster that is a good mix of under and upperclassmen. These kids won't be intimidated, most of them have NCAA Tourney experience. Add in the local psyche to the game alongside how much Iona will come out wanting to upset us and I think that this could be a trap game.

Our players need to be keenly aware of these matchups and impose their will early or this can be a dangerous matchup quickly, LIUBK and Fordham losses in recent years come to mind. Iona has plenty of capable guards. Avoiding early foul trouble will be key, however much like the past 2-3X opponents in the NCAA Tourney under Cluess, its a bad matchup for him. Both teams like to push the ball and break out into transition. They both feast on turnovers. I think that our stars will ultimately outshine theirs. Close game nonetheless:

Gaels 77
Johnnies 88

Biggest advantage I see for us in this game will be our defense. While i agree that Iona has a lot of capable guards, they don’t have a player we will struggle to guard. However, they don’t have a guard or a forward that plays defense at a BE level, or really at all. I think we should win by 20, but honestly, the way some games have gone over the last couple of years, I’ll be happy with a win featuring any score.

One big detail that we haven’t heard much about is whether or not LoVett will play on Sunday. If he’s out again, the game becomes more interesting, but I still think we’ll win. Johnnies are pissed because they know they could have won on Friday, and Iona is going to feel the brunt of their frustration.

« Reply #170 on: December 12, 2017, 01:20:05 AM »

Gaels 77
Johnnies 88

Biggest advantage I see for us in this game will be our defense. While i agree that Iona has a lot of capable guards, they don’t have a player we will struggle to guard. However, they don’t have a guard or a forward that plays defense at a BE level, or really at all. I think we should win by 20, but honestly, the way some games have gone over the last couple of years, I’ll be happy with a win featuring any score.

I was gonna mention our defense could be the catalyst in this game.  I haven't seen Iona this season, but if they still aren't playing any defense, then they're gonna be in trouble.

« Reply #171 on: December 12, 2017, 01:40:26 AM »
I watched Iona play one entire game earlier this season.

They run this really impressive weave offense. 

It's not like we (and the Globetrotters) used to run where we would weave endlessly with no purpose in sight until there were only a few seconds left on the clock then one guy looks to create his own shot off the dribble or launch a three. They really use it effectively to shift and probe the defense looking to cut the weave short and attack the basket or get an open outside shot anytime the opportunity presents itself. 

goredmen

« Reply #172 on: December 12, 2017, 02:16:18 AM »

Gaels 77
Johnnies 88

I was gonna mention our defense could be the catalyst in this game.  I haven't seen Iona this season, but if they still aren't playing any defense, then they're gonna be in trouble.

They haven't played any defense the past 7 years under Cluess, why would they start now?

« Reply #173 on: December 12, 2017, 08:51:27 PM »
Gaels with a 16 point win over Yale. EJ Crawford and Deyshonee Much getting their swerve back. Iona coming into MSG hot. A name to keep an eye on, freshman CJ Seaforth

« Reply #174 on: December 13, 2017, 12:08:26 PM »
Kenpom has this a 12 point win for johnnies

hnk

« Reply #175 on: December 13, 2017, 12:49:31 PM »
Marco, what is the status of your prediction of Shamorie suspension? Is it still a possibility?

Marillac

« Reply #176 on: December 13, 2017, 02:27:23 PM »
Marco, what is the status of your prediction of Shamorie suspension? Is it still a possibility?

Give it a few years. I'm sure he'll miss a class.

« Reply #177 on: December 13, 2017, 02:32:46 PM »
as he mentioned when i asked "be careful what you wish for junior"

« Reply #178 on: December 13, 2017, 04:48:52 PM »

Would you like me to tell you why I posted this?

« Reply #179 on: December 13, 2017, 04:49:55 PM »

Give it a few years. I'm sure he'll miss a class.

Not in that sweet Jaguar he's driving around