Alan Griffin, SG, Stepinac HS, NY - ILLINOIS

• 33 replies
Alan Griffin, SG, Stepinac HS, NY - ILLINOIS
« on: August 15, 2017, 11:26:31 AM »
“It was all about winning,” said Griffin, who is being recruited by the likes of St. John’s, UMass, Seton Hall and St. Louis, among others. “More coaches come to see you the more you win. They always want to see the people who win. We felt like if we did that, we all would get an opportunity in front of the coaches.”

http://nypost.com/2017/08/14/aau-teams-winning-ways-setting-its-players-apart-in-recruitment/

« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 05:06:26 PM by kjd01067 »

Re: Alan Griffin, SG, Stepinac HS, NY
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 05:56:02 PM »

@NYPost_Brazille

St. John's has offered senior wing Alan Griffin and his brother Adrian Griffin Jr., I'm told. #sjubb

Johnny23

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 06:10:19 PM »
Meh. Not a great handle, slow footed and not a big time athlete. Pass.

Moose

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 06:54:37 PM »

Yea we need more athletes. Let the actual basketball players go elsewhere and continue to beat us every year
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 06:57:44 PM »

Yea we need more athletes. Let the actual basketball players go elsewhere and continue to beat us every year

+1

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 07:09:13 PM »
We need basketball players with high IQ, we have enough athletes.

Johnny23

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 08:35:05 PM »

There are much better actual basketball players than this kid. Mid major.

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 08:45:21 PM »
There's two different recruiting ideologies. Most of the older crowd here wants to poo poo the recruiting rankings. A lot of the younger contingent, like myself, sticks by them religiously. I've never seen one second of game action of this kid but I've also never seen a kid not ranked at all by Jerry Meyer and 247. Another good barometer is to look at the other schools who have offered the kid.  Delaware, fordham, marist, Oregon state,  st Bonaventure, St Louis. I'll pass.

Johnny23

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 08:55:17 PM »
There's two different recruiting ideologies. Most of the older crowd here wants to poo poo the recruiting rankings. A lot of the younger contingent, like myself, sticks by them religiously. I've never seen one second of game action of this kid but I've also never seen a kid not ranked at all by Jerry Meyer and 247. Another good barometer is to look at the other schools who have offered the kid.  Delaware, fordham, marist, Oregon state,  st Bonaventure, St Louis. I'll pass.

Yes two different schools of thought. I get that some fans want players with high bball IQ's. I want that too and my point is we need to look for those kind of players who also have some rankings as well. It is possible to have both and that's who we should be targeting. Also I agree this kid's offer sheet and rankings don't support a BE offer. Neither does his limited game tape that I've just watched.

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 09:08:21 PM »
I don't care at this point if they bring in Kobe Bryant and argue he should get eligibility back.

They are going to need to make a serious jump next year both to justify a 4th year of progress and to clean the smell off of what is turning into a complete disaster of a 3rd season....

If they think AG can help so be it....

goredmen

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 09:53:25 PM »
There's definitely more to this than just offering Griffin. Stepinac is now consistently bringing in some real talent and Matt is trying to form a good relationship with them. "Offering" Griffin is a step in that direction.

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 08:37:03 AM »

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 09:24:46 AM »

+1

+2

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 09:32:35 AM »
A guy like Griffin is valuable for building a program. Not everyone can or should be expected to make an impact in year 1 or even year 2. We need guys who who expects to be here for four years and can be groomed as a leader and valuable player by years 3 and 4. If he fits that mold, sign me up.

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 09:34:59 AM »
A guy like Griffin is valuable for building a program. Not everyone can or should be expected to make an impact in year 1 or even year 2. We need guys who who expects to be here for four years and can be groomed as a leader and valuable player by years 3 and 4. If he fits that mold, sign me up.

Yup. Guys like Ellison

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 09:41:26 AM »

Yup. Guys like Ellison

Yeah. And potentially Trimble.

This is one reason why always playing the transfer game is risky. You end up being short-handed on scholarship players because they sit out games. I'm not sure if Dixon is good enough that he was worth not having Ellison or Mussini this year.

Moose

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 02:00:27 PM »

There are much better actual basketball players than this kid. Mid major.

Yea?  And are those guys beating down our door to come here?  No. 
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 12:40:49 PM »

Sounds like a Creighton or Butler player that kicks our butt very often

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 12:44:39 PM »

Yup. Guys like Ellison

Yeah. And potentially Trimble.

This is one reason why always playing the transfer game is risky. You end up being short-handed on scholarship players because they sit out games. I'm not sure if Dixon is good enough that he was worth not having Ellison or Mussini this year.

I don't think Dixon being on scholarship had anything to do with either. Mussini wanted to return home and earn some cash and Ellison practiced against Simon all last year and had to think that his minutes were going to be cut