Game 7: UCF

• 274 replies
Re: Game 7: UCF
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2017, 01:11:02 AM »
If we can't compete with UCF and beat them, we certainly aren't going very far this season.  We have to be able to get up and spank a middling at best AAC team.   Frankly we shouldn't be quivering about Grand Canyon either.  This loser mentality has been cultivated for a long time, but the truth is that Grand Canyon won't be in the final 64, yet we are writing it up as a loss already.  Something wrong with that IMO.

We slipped up vs Missouri, but we should look to dispatch with all teams except maybe ASU and Duke.  ASU I'd hope to give a game, and Duke we hope we have one of our MSG at home nights... where we get all the right rolls...
Agree with the loser mentality! Agree with everything except give ASU a game. They are an ok team at best. We certainly can beat them

Well if we learned from the Missouri, we won't be in a big hole in the 1st half.
We'll start the game ready to play.

MCNPA

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2017, 01:35:30 AM »
If we can't compete with UCF and beat them, we certainly aren't going very far this season.  We have to be able to get up and spank a middling at best AAC team.   Frankly we shouldn't be quivering about Grand Canyon either.  This loser mentality has been cultivated for a long time, but the truth is that Grand Canyon won't be in the final 64, yet we are writing it up as a loss already.  Something wrong with that IMO.

We slipped up vs Missouri, but we should look to dispatch with all teams except maybe ASU and Duke.  ASU I'd hope to give a game, and Duke we hope we have one of our MSG at home nights... where we get all the right rolls...
Agree with the loser mentality! Agree with everything except give ASU a game. They are an ok team at best. We certainly can beat them

ASU just took apart #15 Xavier by almost 20 and are still undefeated. They will be in the top 25 this week.   Their lowest scorer in their starting 5 averages almost 13 ppg the Lowest!!  Their scoring averages about  100ppg     We can win, but they will be huge favorites,  it's what I meant by "give em a game".  We will be big underdogs.  This is a major problem-team scoring-wise, not size particularly.  As tough as it will be, I still hate the garbage loser mentality..
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 01:42:48 AM by MCNPA »

goredmen

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2017, 02:31:53 AM »

ASU just took apart #15 Xavier by almost 20 and are still undefeated. They will be in the top 25 this week.   Their lowest scorer in their starting 5 averages almost 13 ppg the Lowest!!  Their scoring averages about  100ppg     We can win, but they will be huge favorites,  it's what I meant by "give em a game".  We will be big underdogs.  This is a major problem-team scoring-wise, not size particularly.  As tough as it will be, I still hate the garbage loser mentality..

We will not be more than 3 or 4 point underdogs in that game

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2017, 02:34:42 AM »

The reason why I think we'll lose against Arizona State is due to us not playing aggressively or smartly on defense for an entire 40 minutes.  Any lulls against Arizona State could result in a loss.  I think they are better than "ok" at this point in the season.  They have four guards who are rather quick and can shoot it from deep.  They have a big who can also score when necessary and create problems.

I think we'll beat Grand Canyon and St. Joe's, but ain't feeling beating Arizona State and Duke.  It's not a loser's mentality, at least not on my part.  It's about being familiar with my team and knowing the opposition.  Once again, I'd love to be proven wrong on those two games. 

Poison

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2017, 07:44:59 AM »

We’re the fans. It’s the staff and players who have to work on their mentality. We’ve done our part.

In terms of playing Arizona State, they just destroyed Xavier.

Foad

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2017, 09:26:27 AM »
This is a must win if we are building a resume, can't afford to lose this one.

There are no must win games in November.

TONYD3

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2017, 09:33:25 AM »

Loser mentality. No standards. Can’t expect to play well in the big east in February if we are buried in November.

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2017, 09:54:39 AM »

Only good losses

Foad

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2017, 10:10:46 AM »

Loser mentality. No standards. Can’t expect to play well in the big east in February if we are buried in November.

As you know, I've never been one to overreact to either a big win or a tough loss. Instead, I've tried to focus on the path of incremental progress because that's what ultimately positions a team to do something special come March. I was influenced by some strong teachers who believed in process -- what I learned from the masters of the game was to stay the course of incremental development and taking baby steps. From every win or loss we learn. I'm not as caught up on the timing because at the end of the day if we win it's great timing and if we lose it's bad timing. We'll likely be a team that plays its best basketball between late January and mid-February and will be capable of doing something special in March. We need to stay injury-free and there's always the challenge of building chemistry, but given all the variables, I think we'll be a team that's going to continue to develop to a point where we can put a winning brand of basketball on the floor.

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2017, 10:20:03 AM »
Incremental steps be as they may...UCF is on a par with Missouri.  We tend to overlook some teams.  I see an eight point loss for us.  We're an NBA first round draft pick short of making any noise other than ffffft come March.

TONYD3

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2017, 10:36:44 AM »

As you know, I've never been one to overreact to either a big win or a tough loss. Instead, I've tried to focus on the path of incremental progress because that's what ultimately positions a team to do something special come March. I was influenced by some strong teachers who believed in process -- what I learned from the masters of the game was to stay the course of incremental development and taking baby steps. From every win or loss we learn. I'm not as caught up on the timing because at the end of the day if we win it's great timing and if we lose it's bad timing. We'll likely be a team that plays its best basketball between late January and mid-February and will be capable of doing something special in March. We need to stay injury-free and there's always the challenge of building chemistry, but given all the variables, I think we'll be a team that's going to continue to develop to a point where we can put a winning brand of basketball on the floor.
Shocked that you wrote a considerate post that actually focused on Basketball. Yes this is only November, but it is year 3. It’s great that we finally show effort on defense. You can’t sleep walk through half a game , then play crazy hard, and then fall apart at the end. That is not a process. Are we better then we have been ? Absolutely! That should not be the question.
The question should be is are we as good as we should be? We took so many steps back for whatever reason I will never understand. Their needs to be standards. Their needs to be results. This is not CYO. Defense and effort should have been instilled at the beginning.
We are going to lose games. That is part of sports. But we also need to win some. Our coaches are getting payed plenty. We have highly rated star players. We need to beat central Florida.
We need to set a higher bar.

Foad

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2017, 10:49:20 AM »

Shocked that you wrote a considerate post that actually focused on Basketball. Yes this is only November, but it is year 3. It’s great that we finally show effort on defense. You can’t sleep walk through half a game , then play crazy hard, and then fall apart at the end. That is not a process. Are we better then we have been ? Absolutely! That should not be the question.
The question should be is are we as good as we should be? We took so many steps back for whatever reason I will never understand. Their needs to be standards. Their needs to be results. This is not CYO. Defense and effort should have been instilled at the beginning.
We are going to lose games. That is part of sports. But we also need to win some. Our coaches are getting payed plenty. We have highly rated star players. We need to beat central Florida.

That was a quote from Steve Lavin, in year four of his five year rebuild. Agree with you that he was a loser with no standards and that his play your best ball in February spiel was hokum. And here I was thinking you were a fan of his.

Anyway, all I meant was that one November game here or there is meaningless. Syracuse made the final four Mullin's first year, when Federico Mussini  and Amar Alibegowitch beat them single handedly.

Poison

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2017, 11:10:30 AM »

That was a quote from Steve Lavin, in year four of his five year rebuild. Agree with you that he was a loser with no standards and that his play your best ball in February spiel was hokum. And here I was thinking you were a fan of his.

Anyway, all I meant was that one November game here or there is meaningless. Syracuse made the final four Mullin's first year, when Federico Mussini  and Amar Alibegowitch beat them single handedly.

Except they’re not meaningless. By and large the teams that are ready in November are the ones playing in March. They are exceptions, such as Lavin’s first team or horribly coached players. Outside of that, when we play well early it’s a strong indicator that we will continue to do so.

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2017, 12:05:26 PM »
To think anyone here was afraid of Tacko Fall...

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2017, 12:12:43 PM »
Foul trouble and fatigue is gonna be a concern all season.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2017, 12:16:46 PM »
Nice to see we didn't work on our zone offense during the off day

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2017, 12:19:33 PM »
We're settling.

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2017, 12:19:33 PM »
Gotta say our conversions out of time outs this year is may be the best I've ever seen. I know it's early but positive sign of growth from players and staff
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2017, 12:20:09 PM »
Gotta say our conversions out of time outs this year is may be the best I've ever seen. I know it's early but positive sign of growth from players and staff

Agree.

paultzman

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2017, 12:21:07 PM »
No doubt a steady diet of zones to slow SJU down will be there until we evidence solid results.