Breaking the zone

• 27 replies

cjfish

Re: Breaking the zone
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2017, 07:26:47 PM »
We do miss Mussini against the Zone....His shooting obviously and also his movement which got him or the next guy open looks.  Re Zone, obviously need good play at the foulline, probably Simon, and need to run the baseline in tandem with ball movement to the weak side creating open corner jumpers.

He was also a very reliable ball-handler.

Obviously I agree.  I'm glad someone else recognizes his strengths.  He wasn't a highlight guy but he knew how to play and last year, steals aside, he was a better defensive player than Lovett or Ponds.....which isn't saying much.

...and was terrible on one-on-one D, couldn't rebound and barely created any turnovers.

He shot 43% from three as a soph as a marked shooter and he shot 86% from the FT line with only 18 turnovers all of last year.  When he played starter minutes he averaged 1.2 steals per game and 2.4 rebounds.  His defense was terrible his first year, but he was solid last year.  He didn't commit stupid fouls (1.3 total fouls per game for his career).  Most importantly, he spaced the floor on offense and forced the other team to mark him at all times and face guard him.  That impact is very hard to quantify.

How was Vanleer's defense for Mizzou or Rousey's for Marquette?  Kyron Cartwright can't defend Louie but Providence wouldn't trade him in.

Foad

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2017, 08:29:03 PM »
No idea why, but this staff likes to have two guys in the high post against a 2-3. It makes no sense..all you do is clog the middle and you take away any baseline threat so the zone can move out higher.

We have the perfect personnel to attack it the way Lavs did, with one guy at the foul line.

Yeah, Lavs, what a genyious. He beat Syracuse's 2-3 once in 5 years and that one time only because Phil Greene had an 11 second 9 point career. What's Mullin's record against Syracuse's 2-3 zone?

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 09:52:07 PM »
Was going to say, I wouldn't be too quick to point the blame at the zone attack with two players high at the line.  We decimated one of the best zones in hoops for two years with lesser talent using that scheme.  Perhaps it is kids not knocking down shots or doing what they are supposed to.

Poison

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 08:42:39 AM »
No idea why, but this staff likes to have two guys in the high post against a 2-3. It makes no sense..all you do is clog the middle and you take away any baseline threat so the zone can move out higher.

We have the perfect personnel to attack it the way Lavs did, with one guy at the foul line.

Yeah, Lavs, what a genyious. He beat Syracuse's 2-3 once in 5 years and that one time only because Phil Greene had an 11 second 9 point career. What's Mullin's record against Syracuse's 2-3 zone?

What’s Mullin’s record against everyone else? You wanna call someone out? Call out Norm Roberts. He deserves it and he always will. Lavin made a post season tournament in every season he was on the sidelines. All things considered, for this university, he wasn’t a bad hire, especially at the time.

Foad

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 09:34:48 AM »

What’s Mullin’s record against everyone else? You wanna call someone out? Call out Norm Roberts. He deserves it and he always will. Lavin made a post season tournament in every season he was on the sidelines. All things considered, for this university, he wasn’t a bad hire, especially at the time.

We were discussing Mullin's method of attacking the 2-3 zone versus Lavin's. Making their records against Syracuse quite relevant and Norm Roberts completely irrelevant. I know it's hard but try following along next time. It might be helpful if you read aloud and sound out the big words.

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2017, 12:31:11 PM »
Not to over simplify but I thought Lovett missed a bunch of shots he will make and Ponds was shooting from too far out.

TONYD3

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2017, 02:51:00 PM »

We have the perfect personnel to attack it the way Lavs did, with one guy at the foul line. You have Shamorie, LoVett and Bash on the perimeter, and you run Clark, who can hit that little midrange jumper all day (see: Brownlee, Justin) if the top guys get extended and the bottom guys have to stay home to respect the baseline presence, to the high post. You let Simon, who can jump out of the #$%^ing building, roam the baseline for back cuts or alley oops.

You do it that way, you're spreading the D that much more, creating a ton of open space in the middle and it makes it easier to go inside out. Or inside and to the hole. Or for our guards to penetrate. Why they want to bunch everybody up, I have no idea.
I agree. But to be fair it worked vs Syracuse. I think this is the least of our problems. This is right in the staffs wheel house. I don’t think big east teams will zone us. If they do, I think we will be fine.

Poison

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2017, 03:18:38 PM »

We were discussing Mullin's method of attacking the 2-3 zone versus Lavin's. Making their records against Syracuse quite relevant and Norm Roberts completely irrelevant. I know it's hard but try following along next time. It might be helpful if you read aloud and sound out the big words.

Mullin has yet to prove that he's a better coach than Norm Roberts. Hopefully he will this season. I'll be paying attention skippy.