The Best Defensive Team in the Big East?

• 40 replies

QuanMan

The Best Defensive Team in the Big East?
« on: November 27, 2017, 02:47:12 PM »
http://bigeastconf_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/sports/m-baskbl/2017-2018/sju.htm

-The Johnnies have held their opponent to an average of 60.7 ppg early in.

-137 forced turnovers on 65 team steals through 7 games.

-For all the preseason talk off being undersized and out rebounded all season, they're only down 263-267 in that category.

That is a product of team effort, good coaching and the newcomers. Major kudos to the coaching staff for nearly flipping the defensive category in the offseason. As CM has stated, in order for this team to be staying in games late they would have to compete on the glass and create fast break points off turnovers, they've done just that. Not too shabby a defensive November for the team.
Section 3
Section 116

Re: The Best Defensive Team in the Big East?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 03:01:50 PM »
http://bigeastconf_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/sports/m-baskbl/2017-2018/sju.htm

-For all the preseason talk off being undersized and out rebounded all season, they're only down 263-267 in that category.

That is a product of team effort, good coaching and the newcomers. Major kudos to the coaching staff for nearly flipping the defensive category in the offseason. As CM has stated, in order for this team to be staying in games late they would have to compete on the glass and create fast break points off turnovers, they've done just that. Not too shabby a defensive November for the team.
As an accountant my favorite quote regarding statistics comes from former Baruch professor Aaron levenstein "statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive but what they conceal is vital." Yes,  our defensesive stats appear fantastic but I believe others have pointed out that our strength of schedule is one of the worst in the big East so far.  I'm concerned about the amount of gambling lovett and ponds have been doing. The switching man to man we implement seems to lead to many wide open threes.

However,  for as critical as I've been about Mullin and staff in regards to player progression they deserve a tip of the hat when it comes to Lovetts defensive play.  His on ball defense is one hundred times better then last year.

cjfish

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 08:55:37 PM »
D, particularly among the guards, is much improved.  Rebounding spread will be ugly once conference play starts but quickness and TOs should somewhat balance it.

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 09:15:16 PM »

As an accountant my favorite quote regarding statistics comes from former Baruch professor Aaron levenstein "statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive but what they conceal is vital." Yes,  our defensesive stats appear fantastic but I believe others have pointed out that our strength of schedule is one of the worst in the big East so far.  I'm concerned about the amount of gambling lovett and ponds have been doing. The switching man to man we implement seems to lead to many wide open threes.

However,  for as critical as I've been about Mullin and staff in regards to player progression they deserve a tip of the hat when it comes to Lovetts defensive play.  His on ball defense is one hundred times better then last year.
In Cole I trust

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 09:42:48 AM »
Let's not get carried away. The effort is much improved thus far -- especially Lovett -- but the one decent opponent we've had put up 90 on us!!!! Rebounding will be a problem all year as will lack of beef inside. We foul way too often and many of them are just silly. We also need to stop helping off shooters. Lovett has been the biggest culprit in this area.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 10:46:34 AM »
Let's not get carried away. The effort is much improved thus far -- especially Lovett -- but the one decent opponent we've had put up 90 on us!!!! Rebounding will be a problem all year as will lack of beef inside. We foul way too often and many of them are just silly. We also need to stop helping off shooters. Lovett has been the biggest culprit in this area.

Right, but don't you think these are things that they can work on? I'm a pretty impatient a rear of a donkey and you've got me beat this year. Well done. Did you expect the 98-99 team to show up in year 3 and in week 3? 6-1 is 6-1. Had we lost to Nebraska or Oregon State no one would have been stunned. Other programs have bigger problems than we do. The offense is in a funk, (For one game) but we have no reason to think that it won't be fine, because it usually is fine.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 11:38:57 AM »

The 90 points also had a lot to do with fouling at the end, and Mizzou hitting a ridiculously high amount of 3 pointers. I think they hit 8 in a row at one point which isn't a very common occurrence. So I would take that 90 with a grain of salt. This team has the makings of a very good defensive team. I do agree they foul way too often though.

QuanMan

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 12:36:50 PM »
They also held a Top100 UCF team to 43 points, which is the program's lowest since 2006 (St. FrancisBK).
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 01:44:11 PM »
They also held a Top100 UCF team to 43 points, which is the program's lowest since 2006 (St. FrancisBK).

They scored 45 two days before and lost by 40! This thread is absurd. We might be okay in defense when all is said and done. Let's revosir the topic in 10 days and I'm sure the tone will be different.

paultzman

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 02:05:47 PM »

They scored 45 two days before and lost by 40! This thread is absurd. We might be okay in defense when all is said and done. Let's revosir the topic in 10 days and I'm sure the tone will be different.

Have to agree. After completing OOC games prior to BE play seems appropriate time to evaluate the team's capability and potential.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 02:50:08 PM »

True, but I think as the season goes on the team will obviously improve. This group has a track record of that already. Who would have thought they would be racking up BE wins vs. Seton Hall, Providence, etc last year after losing OOC games to Delaware St., Old Dominion and LIU Brooklyn? Difference this year is we're obviously a better team and we're 6-1 after 7 games not 2-5. I'm cautiously optimistic going forward.

QuanMan

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 03:44:51 PM »
The 65 team steals, 45 blocks and a whopping 137 turnovers forced in 7 games is a telling trend, is this a mirage or is there meat on the bone? Our SOS is currently 98th so this is definitely up in the air. This team exudes a ton of effort and enthusiasm, over the course of the season they're going to get in even better shape. They're also one of the more athletic rosters in recent history, I think the defensive trend will continue if they all stay healthy.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 03:57:18 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

TONYD3

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 04:05:23 PM »
The 65 team steals, 45 blocks and a whopping 137 turnovers forced in 7 games is a telling trend, is this a mirage or is there meat on the bone? Our SOS is currently 98th so this is definitely up in the air. This team exudes a ton of effort and enthusiasm, over the course of the season they're going to get in even better shape. They're also one of the more athletic rosters in recent history, I think the defensive trend will continue if they all stay healthy.
Great post. And realistic . Implying that we are the best defensive team in the conference or even a good defensive team is absurd. This team fouls way to much, far away from the basket, off the ball. This team also goes long stretches forgetting to box out. Maybe I am the only one watching when that happens.
If we played a good offensive team Sunday and played with the same effort. They score 100. Mullin gets atkeast 1 tech and most of the team fouls out. That isn’t whining. Don’t know what you guys are watching.
If we cut down on the fouls (which is a huge IF) we can become a good defensive team. Nebraska ain’t creighton. Central Florida isn’t even close to DePaul
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 04:08:57 PM by TONYD3 »

Poison

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 04:17:30 PM »
Great post. And realistic . Implying that we are the best defensive team in the conference or even a good defensive team is absurd. This team fouls way to much, far away from the basket, off the ball. This team also goes long stretches forgetting to box out. Maybe I am the only one watching when that happens.
If we played a good offensive team Sunday and played with the same effort. They score 100. Mullin gets atkeast 1 tech and most of the team fouls out. That isn’t whining. Don’t know what you guys are watching.
If we cut down on the fouls (which is a huge IF) we can become a good defensive team. Nebraska ain’t creighton. Central Florida isn’t even close to DePaul

Central Florida is coming off of a 24 win season. Been decades since DePaul won 24 games.

TONYD3

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 05:56:56 PM »
That central Florida team isn’t wining 24 games. I know they had injuries. The team we played was not good.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 07:16:30 PM »
That central Florida team isn’t wining 24 games. I know they had injuries. The team we played was not good.

We weren’t good either. Sometimes good teams have bad days.

cjfish

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 07:53:06 PM »

Central Florida is coming off of a 24 win season. Been decades since DePaul won 24 games.

CF plays no one.....if they play 5 top 100 teams id be surprised

cjfish

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 08:02:51 PM »
whoops, my bad.....checked C Folrida site after my spontaneous eruption and found that their schedule is pretty good, probably 8-10 top hundred teams (no I didn't check the individual teams  because I don't care)  Which seem to mean that perhaps it wasnt a bad win, if there is such a thing.

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 12:33:48 AM »
Just a reminder that it is a well established and widely accepted theory on this board that fouling is a good thing.

Not fouling has been viewed as proof positive that you're not playing defense. Fouling aplenty is seen as a sign of a good defender. 

Marillac

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 02:20:43 AM »

What does the year before have to do with anything? The best player they've had maybe ever was sitting on the bench injured next to their second best player. They played us without four of their five leading scorers last from last year (including their top two). That's like someone playing us without Ponds, Lovett, Simon, and Clark.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 04:18:53 AM by Marillac »