The Best Defensive Team in the Big East?

• 40 replies

TONYD3

Re: The Best Defensive Team in the Big East?
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 08:17:16 AM »
That central Florida team isn’t wining 24 games. I know they had injuries. The team we played was not good.

We weren’t good either. Sometimes good teams have bad days.
I thought Johnny Dawkins coached a good game. It was ugly but they almost won. They made an adjustment, went to zone. Their guys competed as best they could.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 09:33:57 AM »
The 65 team steals, 45 blocks and a whopping 137 turnovers forced in 7 games is a telling trend, is this a mirage or is there meat on the bone? Our SOS is currently 98th so this is definitely up in the air. This team exudes a ton of effort and enthusiasm, over the course of the season they're going to get in even better shape. They're also one of the more athletic rosters in recent history, I think the defensive trend will continue if they all stay healthy.
Great post. And realistic . Implying that we are the best defensive team in the conference or even a good defensive team is absurd. This team fouls way to much, far away from the basket, off the ball. This team also goes long stretches forgetting to box out. Maybe I am the only one watching when that happens.
If we played a good offensive team Sunday and played with the same effort. They score 100. Mullin gets atkeast 1 tech and most of the team fouls out. That isn’t whining. Don’t know what you guys are watching.
If we cut down on the fouls (which is a huge IF) we can become a good defensive team. Nebraska ain’t creighton. Central Florida isn’t even close to DePaul

Central Florida is coming off of a 24 win season. Been decades since DePaul won 24 games.

What does the year before have to do with anything? The best player they've had maybe ever was sitting on the bench injured next to their second best player. They played us without four of their five leading scorers last from last year (including their top two). That's like someone playing us without Ponds, Lovett, Simon, and Clark.

I could give a shit about their problems. No one ever cared about ours.

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 10:42:41 AM »
The 65 team steals, 45 blocks and a whopping 137 turnovers forced in 7 games is a telling trend, is this a mirage or is there meat on the bone? Our SOS is currently 98th so this is definitely up in the air. This team exudes a ton of effort and enthusiasm, over the course of the season they're going to get in even better shape. They're also one of the more athletic rosters in recent history, I think the defensive trend will continue if they all stay healthy.
Great post. And realistic . Implying that we are the best defensive team in the conference or even a good defensive team is absurd. This team fouls way to much, far away from the basket, off the ball. This team also goes long stretches forgetting to box out. Maybe I am the only one watching when that happens.
If we played a good offensive team Sunday and played with the same effort. They score 100. Mullin gets atkeast 1 tech and most of the team fouls out. That isn’t whining. Don’t know what you guys are watching.
If we cut down on the fouls (which is a huge IF) we can become a good defensive team. Nebraska ain’t creighton. Central Florida isn’t even close to DePaul

Central Florida is coming off of a 24 win season. Been decades since DePaul won 24 games.

What does the year before have to do with anything? The best player they've had maybe ever was sitting on the bench injured next to their second best player. They played us without four of their five leading scorers last from last year (including their top two). That's like someone playing us without Ponds, Lovett, Simon, and Clark.

I could give a shit about their problems. No one ever cared about ours.
We beat a shell of that 24-win team is the pointz

ras

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2017, 04:27:30 PM »
That central Florida team isn’t wining 24 games. I know they had injuries. The team we played was not good.

We weren’t good either. Sometimes good teams have bad days.
I thought Johnny Dawkins coached a good game. It was ugly but they almost won. They made an adjustment, went to zone. Their guys competed as best they could.
Wierdest game Ive ever seen. I have to chalk it up to fatique. Never seen 2 descent teams play so bad. What an ugly game. Fortunately we played less poorly than UCF.

Foad

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2017, 04:48:59 PM »

Looking forward to the day St John's scores 40 points, shoots 26 percent from the floor, almost wins, and you talk about how hard they played and what a great job Mullin did.

Foad

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2017, 04:49:51 PM »
We beat a shell of that 24-win team is the pointz

Would you rather lose to Incarnate Wordz?

TONYD3

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2017, 04:59:44 PM »

Looking forward to the day St John's scores 40 points, shoots 26 percent from the floor, almost wins, and you talk about how hard they played and what a great job Mullin did.
Foady ( big pus), That game should have been a blowout. If we play a really ugly game vs duke and almost win, I will be sure to sing our coaches praises. If you don’t think Dawkins out coached Mullin: then you didn’t see the game, are lying to yourself, or just a fool with a thesaurus!

Foad

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2017, 05:21:06 PM »

Foady ( big pus), That game should have been a blowout. If we play a really ugly game vs duke and almost win, I will be sure to sing our coaches praises. If you don’t think Dawkins out coached Mullin: then you didn’t see the game, are lying to yourself, or just a fool with a thesaurus!

A, St John's opened at - 2.5 and ended -4 on the betting line, which is essentially a push in a three point game. So no one other than ill formed nice persons such as yourself expected a blow out. B, I don't need a thesaurus, but then I'm not a gym teacher.  C, cool it on the exclamation points, it's like laughing at your own joke.

Dan

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2017, 07:55:24 PM »

Agree on most of this but UCF>DePaul

TONYD3

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2017, 09:13:58 PM »

A, St John's opened at - 2.5 and ended -4 on the betting line, which is essentially a push in a three point game. So no one other than ill formed nice persons such as yourself expected a blow out. B, I don't need a thesaurus, but then I'm not a gym teacher.  C, cool it on the exclamation points, it's like laughing at your own joke.
Sir you are a joke . Maybe if I had your dad as a teacher I would have been more successful. I heard he was an amazing educator. Look how good you turned out. U are the foad !!!
West Virginia beat that amazing team by 40. They play Missouri tomorrow. Want to bet Missouri throws them a beat down ?
Missouri is -2. Missouri isn’t good. But that central Florida team hurt. What do you want to bet? Mr. fxck off and die
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:26:30 PM by TONYD3 »

Foad

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2017, 11:41:32 AM »
West Virginia beat that amazing team by 40. They play Missouri tomorrow. Want to bet Missouri throws them a beat down ? Missouri is -2. Missouri isn’t good. But that central Florida team hurt. What do you want to bet? Mr. fxck off and die

62-59 Jimmy the Greek. Don't quit your day job.

TONYD3

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2017, 11:44:51 AM »
West Virginia beat that amazing team by 40. They play Missouri tomorrow. Want to bet Missouri throws them a beat down ? Missouri is -2. Missouri isn’t good. But that central Florida team hurt. What do you want to bet? Mr. fxck off and die

I Noticed you didn’t comment until after the fact. Gutless as usual. Maybe you were busy Wikipedia.

Foad

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2017, 02:50:15 PM »

I Noticed you didn’t comment until after the fact. Gutless as usual. Maybe you were busy Wikipedia.

Apology accepted.

Foad

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2017, 09:26:02 PM »

UCF 65, #24 Alabama 62.

TONYD3

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2017, 09:47:37 PM »

UCF 65, #24 Alabama 62.
Foady- I commented that Johnny Dawkins coached a good game against us. U cried become you felt Coach Mullin was slighted. St. John’s has better players and 3 very good guards and central Florida had their starting back court out. I believed then and still believe we should have played better. Johnny Dawkins seems to be doing a good job. You are still a pathetic loser by the way.

Foad

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2017, 09:57:48 PM »

UCF 65, #24 Alabama 62.
Foady- I commented that Johnny Dawkins coached a good game against us. U cried become you felt Coach Mullin was slighted. St. John’s has better players and 3 very good guards and central Florida had their starting back court out. I believed then and still believe we should have played better. Johnny Dawkins seems to be doing a good job. You are still a pathetic loser by the way.

"Central Florida isn’t even close to DePaul .... The team we played was not good."

TONYD3

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2017, 09:19:22 AM »

UCF 65, #24 Alabama 62.

"Central Florida isn’t even close to DePaul .... The team we played was not good."
You should have commented before the fact. Maybe it would have had some merit. But you are a coward.

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2017, 03:44:04 PM »
defense has gone from ranking 131 last year to 21 this year on https://kenpom.com/   offense is a few spots better than last year, but hasn't changed much.  We've also slowed down the tempo, but I think we could stand to slow down on offense even a bit more and take better shots to improve that efficiency.  basically the rankings of a bubble team right now -- hopefully they can improve the offensive efficiency as the season continues

Marillac

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2018, 04:01:16 PM »
Let's not get carried away. The effort is much improved thus far -- especially Lovett -- but the one decent opponent we've had put up 90 on us!!!! Rebounding will be a problem all year as will lack of beef inside. We foul way too often and many of them are just silly. We also need to stop helping off shooters. Lovett has been the biggest culprit in this area.

Good time to revisit.

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2018, 04:03:10 PM »
Time to put Mullin officially on hot seat. He is in over his head.  Defense bs shit teams is misleading as are most stats except wins and loses. Right now 0-4 is all that should matter.