Justin Simon

• 17 replies

paultzman

Justin Simon
« on: November 27, 2017, 03:25:14 PM »
Per Marley Paul
Also Justin Simon, a 6-5 guard, also *leads* the Big East in rebounds AND steals, #4 in assists AND blocks.
Arizona transfer has been an absolute steal for St. John's. #sjubb

Marley Paul
@MarleyPaul22
Justin Simon's defensive rating (73.8) is the third-best in NCAA among players playing 25+ mpg -- behind Texas star Mo Bamba, UNC-Greensboro's James Dickey & Marillac

« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 03:37:42 PM by paultzman »

Re: Justin Simon
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 03:32:20 PM »
Per Marley Paul
Also Justin Simon, a 6-5 guard, also *leads* the Big East in rebounds AND steals, #4 in assists AND blocks.
Arizona transfer has been an absolute steal for St. John's. #sjubb

My current favorite player.  Love those stat stuffing type guys. If he can develop that corner 3 he'll be lethal.

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 03:38:43 PM »
He's been outstanding..

It's only been 5 attempts but surprised that his 3 pt shots have landed at 100% clip since his FT's are sketchy at 42%.  He almost airballed a FT against UCF. It barely hit front rim.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 03:41:14 PM by RedStormNC »

MCNPA

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 03:43:21 PM »
ENter Marillac in 3....2....1...

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 04:03:30 PM »
Never thought my favorite player would be a guy with that ugly of a jump shot. But he is it. Everything we thought Reggie Jesse would be.

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 04:19:40 PM »

Subtract his 9 assists from D-2 Molloy and he has 18 assists to 17 turnovers. I feel like this is Dom Pointer all over again. He does somethings very well, but he is raw. I love the rebounds and the blocks and steals. I love the intensity. I like the passing. I don't like the dribbling. Simple as that.

Subtracting Molloy, Ponds has 33 assists to 12 turnovers.  Ellison had 25 assists to 11 turnovers in his first seven games in Big East play last year and I didn't have to see "point guard" over and over with him, and he had a better handle than Simon.

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 04:21:04 PM »
Never thought my favorite player would be a guy with that ugly of a jump shot. But he is it. Everything we thought Reggie Jesse would be.

How is Ponds not everyone's favorite player? We're a 12-win team without him.

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 04:29:12 PM »

Starting to worry about you. Did you and Ponds have a Taurassi moment? Not judging but not sure why you have to knock other players on the team to make your man crush look better? Ponds and Lovett are are two best scorers. W/O either team can't score. Simon is a really good fun to watch  basketball player  that is basically single handedly  assuaging our biggest concern of rebounding .Those guys being important and good does not take away from how important Ponds is. 37% shooting needs to get better if you want to canonize him though.

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 04:58:39 PM »

Starting to worry about you. Did you and Ponds have a Taurassi moment? Not judging but not sure why you have to knock other players on the team to make your man crush look better? Ponds and Lovett are are two best scorers. W/O either team can't score. Simon is a really good fun to watch  basketball player  that is basically single handedly  assuaging our biggest concern of rebounding .Those guys being important and good does not take away from how important Ponds is. 37% shooting needs to get better if you want to canonize him though.

His shooting would be better if he didn't have to carry the team on his shoulders. BTW, Ponds is averaging 7 boards a game. The takeaway from Ponds and Simon averaging 16 boards is that our front court is deplorable.

Simon can win me over very easily. Take his 2.1 offensive boards per game north of three and quit dribbling the ball more than twice on the half court.

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 05:39:22 PM »

His shooting would be better if he didn't have to carry the team on his shoulders. BTW, Ponds is averaging 7 boards a game. The takeaway from Ponds and Simon averaging 16 boards is that our front court is deplorable.

Simon can win me over very easily. Take his 2.1 offensive boards per game north of three and quit dribbling the ball more than twice on the half court.

Good thing about Ponds not being able to hit the side of a bar from 3, junior year

SJUFAN

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 06:43:40 PM »

Good thing about Ponds not being able to hit the side of a bar from 3, junior year

Thought the same thing.

cjfish

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 07:20:59 PM »
He's been outstanding..

It's only been 5 attempts but surprised that his 3 pt shots have landed at 100% clip since his FT's are sketchy at 42%.  He almost airballed a FT against UCF. It barely hit front rim.

RE FTs, he may need to take a jumper (small hop) from the FT line.....he may be a guy who cant stay put in the traditional manner....I speak from experience, I went from 66-70 to 85-90% using the Hal Greer method.. 

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 08:30:54 PM »

Amen brother. I think about that every game he shoots poorly and we win. That is a double win. If
Coach cuts the sh*t with using Lovett like he's JJ Reddick and gets him back on the ball, it will lower those assists.

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 08:49:39 PM »

Subtract his 9 assists from D-2 Molloy and he has 18 assists to 17 turnovers. I feel like this is Dom Pointer all over again. He does somethings very well, but he is raw. I love the rebounds and the blocks and steals. I love the intensity. I like the passing. I don't like the dribbling. Simple as that.

Subtracting Molloy, Ponds has 33 assists to 12 turnovers.  Ellison had 25 assists to 11 turnovers in his first seven games in Big East play last year and I didn't have to see "point guard" over and over with him, and he had a better handle than Simon.

Seriously, are u really this stupid..lol... Simon has been our BEST all around player this entire season. And sorry nice person u don’t take away stats because they came against a lesser opponent. That’s not how it’s done mr. basketball “genius”.

Bottom line - the kid is the best all around player we have. He can run the point in spurts, play PF at 6’5”” and has been getting better and better shooting the ball. U can’t ask much more from this kid. U sir are an embarrassment to SJU fans everywhere. 

btw - Comparing him to Dom Pointer maybe the dumbest thing ever written on this board.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 09:39:09 PM by Mullin77 »

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 09:47:06 PM »
Dude - your posts today might actually have some fair points but all the  name calling is really tiring.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 09:50:54 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 09:55:08 PM »
Dude grow up.... if u don’t like reading the truth there is always marrilac. Knock yourself out.

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 10:06:31 PM »

Seriously, are u really this stupid..lol... Simon has been our BEST all around player this entire season. And sorry nice person u don’t take away stats because they came against a lesser opponent. That’s not how it’s done mr. basketball “genius”.

Bottom line - the kid is the best all around player we have. He can run the point in spurts, play PF at 6’5”” and has been getting better and better shooting the ball. U can’t ask much more from this kid. U sir are an embarrassment to SJU fans everywhere. 

btw - Comparing him to Dom Pointer maybe the dumbest thing ever written on this board.

Agreed. Totally non sensical.

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 10:07:51 PM »
Dude - your posts today might actually have some fair points but all the  name calling is really tiring.

and to think when I first joined this site I received a PM from the owner admonishing me for using the phrase seeing things through rose colored glasses (it was deemed too belligerent).