Sacred Heat Prediction

• 82 replies

Poison

Re: Sacred Heat Prediction
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2017, 11:51:49 PM »
Lovett most likely out for the 2 west coast games according to Zach. Not good

100% the fault of the staff. It’s too bad they can’t be fined for their carelessness.

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2017, 12:42:52 AM »

Hard to find something negative to say after a 35 point win where they shot 55 percent from the floor, held their 6th opponent to under 61 points, were +8 rebounds, had 15 steals, 8 blocks, and forced 25 to's, but you managed it. Kudos.

So just because we beat a team we're 35 points better than by 35 points, I should hold off mentioning that one of our starters won't be playing in neither of the next 2 big games due to an injury nobody had known about prior to today? You're a clown.

You want a parade down Union Turnpike for beating Sacred Heart, one of the 30 or so worst teams in division 1. It's no wonder this program hasn't ascended from mediocrity in decades with standards like this

Debbie downer

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2017, 12:48:55 AM »
I just have to say I never thought I'd ever be at CA for a National Championship banner unveiling but yet here we are, felt amazing. Fantastic day today.

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2017, 08:09:47 AM »

Hard to find something negative to say after a 35 point win where they shot 55 percent from the floor, held their 6th opponent to under 61 points, were +8 rebounds, had 15 steals, 8 blocks, and forced 25 to's, but you managed it. Kudos.

So just because we beat a team we're 35 points better than by 35 points, I should hold off mentioning that one of our starters won't be playing in neither of the next 2 big games due to an injury nobody had known about prior to today? You're a clown.

You want a parade down Union Turnpike for beating Sacred Heart, one of the 30 or so worst teams in division 1. It's no wonder this program hasn't ascended from mediocrity in decades with standards like this

So if they don't win by 35 it's embarrassing this programs struggles or somehow loses a game like this.

If they do win by 35 it's why are you excited about winning and looking like the superior team?

Another good win and team is looking improved.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2017, 08:28:09 AM »

100% the fault of the staff. It’s too bad they can’t be fined for their carelessness.

That's a bold claim

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2017, 08:35:08 AM »
That's not a bold claim. It is an idiotic claim.

Poison

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2017, 08:52:46 AM »
That's not a bold claim. It is an idiotic claim.

Who hands out the ships smart guy? A long time fan should know that. No one told them to begin the season with 9 players. That is 100% on the staff. If you don’t see that you don’t understand how this works.

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2017, 09:06:14 AM »
So, if we had all 13 ships filled and Lovett still played his usual 30 min/game, would it still be coaches fault that he sprained his knee in a way you have no idea how it occurred?

Foad

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2017, 09:30:10 AM »

Personally I don't go in for name calling but I know you're still mourning the loss of Coach Lavs so I'll chalk your intemperate language up to grief.

I don't recall asking for a parade. I recall pointing out that a poster who calls himself "go redmen" posted three comments, all of them negative, during and after what was a pretty convincing win. Seems kind of pathetic to me. Where exactly do you want the redmen to go?

You want standards? Last year the team was 2-5 after seven games. This year they're 7-1 after eight. Last year they were 302nd in scoring defense at nearly 80 points a game. This year they're 24th, at 60 ppg. That's constitutes improvement by any standard.  That a couple of the wins were over just the sort of cupcakes that Lou Carnesecca used to feast upon on his yearly trek to a first round loss - which is about the last time St John's was relevant - well, last year this time they'd lost to Delaware State and Old Dominion. So I'll be happy with this. Because you can only beat the teams you play and you beat them one at a time. It's like what coach Lavs said after won of his signature wins over mighty Fordham: "focus on the path of incremental progress, because that's what ultimately positions a team to do something special come March. Focusing on growth doesn't guarantee success, but it's proved to be the most effective approach to enhance the percentages or probabilities of playing your best basketball in the postseason."

Poison

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2017, 10:42:02 AM »
So, if we had all 13 ships filled and Lovett still played his usual 30 min/game, would it still be coaches fault that he sprained his knee in a way you have no idea how it occurred?

This isn’t complicated. The staff went into the season without enough players. Whether it’s LoVett or another important player that gets hurt isn’t the point. Did you actually think that I’m somehow blaming the staff for an injury?

It probably would have been a challenge to land a grad transfer big and maybe another combo guard, but the staff has the same resinsibility to field a full roster as any other in our conference. Now, we’re going to be asked to play a ranked team with 3 guards.

Like I said earlier, the staff should be fined for their incompetence and laziness.

goredmen

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2017, 10:58:51 AM »

Personally I don't go in for name calling but I know you're still mourning the loss of Coach Lavs so I'll chalk your intemperate language up to grief.

I don't recall asking for a parade. I recall pointing out that a poster who calls himself "go redmen" posted three comments, all of them negative, during and after what was a pretty convincing win. Seems kind of pathetic to me. Where exactly do you want the redmen to go?

You want standards? Last year the team was 2-5 after seven games. This year they're 7-1 after eight. Last year they were 302nd in scoring defense at nearly 80 points a game. This year they're 24th, at 60 ppg. That's constitutes improvement by any standard.  That a couple of the wins were over just the sort of cupcakes that Lou Carnesecca used to feast upon on his yearly trek to a first round loss - which is about the last time St John's was relevant - well, last year this time they'd lost to Delaware State and Old Dominion. So I'll be happy with this. Because you can only beat the teams you play and you beat them one at a time. It's like what coach Lavs said after won of his signature wins over mighty Fordham: "focus on the path of incremental progress, because that's what ultimately positions a team to do something special come March. Focusing on growth doesn't guarantee success, but it's proved to be the most effective approach to enhance the percentages or probabilities of playing your best basketball in the postseason."

I was as anti-Lavin as they come. I get nauseas when I see him on TV.

All I did was provide an update on that status of an injury to one of our best players in this thread and somehow that's negative. We looked good against Sacred Heart, congrats. So would my nephews 5th grade CYO team. This game was a glorified practice and we should have won by 35 and glad that we did. Now, onto the next since we play some real teams coming up

Johnny23

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2017, 11:26:31 AM »

This isn’t complicated. The staff went into the season without enough players. Whether it’s LoVett or another important player that gets hurt isn’t the point. Did you actually think that I’m somehow blaming the staff for an injury?

It probably would have been a challenge to land a grad transfer big and maybe another combo guard, but the staff has the same resinsibility to field a full roster as any other in our conference. Now, we’re going to be asked to play a ranked team with 3 guards.

Like I said earlier, the staff should be fined for their incompetence and laziness.

+1

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2017, 11:41:09 AM »
I get your point now.

Still not sure if it's laziness & incompetence as much as having an explainable crappy record the last two years and making it hard to attract marginal D1 players to fill bottom or roster spots vs. look to go to a school in a weaker conference or without a strong starting 5 and have better likelihood of minutes.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 11:50:09 AM by RedStormNC »

ras

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2017, 12:14:16 PM »
I get your point now.

Still not sure if it's laziness & incompetence as much as having an explainable crappy record the last two years and making it hard to attract marginal D1 players to fill bottom or roster spots vs. look to go to a school in a weaker conference or without a strong starting 5 and have better likelihood of minutes.
I agree. I think they didn’t want to field the roster w mediocre players and would rather get quality  players over time and not waste scholarships. Thankfully we were able to get Trimble last minute. Looks good for a frosh. That said, no excuse for us not being able to recruit 1 big eligible to play this year. WLovett out, we will see Bash getting plenty of time at the 3. Fortunately  Yakwe stepped up his game. Next  year we will add Williams and Dixon as guards. Two pretty good players. Recruiting is tough. Maybe hard to predict who leaves. We lost Mussini and Ellison.  We were lucky Lovett decided to stay.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 12:19:51 PM by ras »

goredmen

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2017, 12:17:58 PM »

So if they don't win by 35 it's embarrassing this programs struggles or somehow loses a game like this.

If they do win by 35 it's why are you excited about winning and looking like the superior team?

This is not a good win and you know that. It's a win. The only thing that can happen from playing a team like Sacred Heart is being embarrassed. I get why these games are scheduled and you beat them and move on.

You also can't tell how your team looks based on a game against a team like Sacred Heart. Yeah we aren't terrible but that's all that can gained from that. Last year we beat Bethune Cookman by 47 then Binghamton by 16. We then went on to lose 5 in a row including one to Delaware State. Following a 28 point win vs Fordham we lost to LIU.

Foad

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2017, 12:23:34 PM »

I was as anti-Lavin as they come. I get nauseas when I see him on TV.

Huh. Maybe I am a clown.

ras

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2017, 12:24:48 PM »

This is not a good win and you know that. It's a win. The only thing that can happen from playing a team like Sacred Heart is being embarrassed. I get why these games are scheduled and you beat them and move on.

You also can't tell how your team looks based on a game against a team like Sacred Heart. Yeah we aren't terrible but that's all that can gained from that. Last year we beat Bethune Cookman by 47 then Binghamton by 16. We then went on to lose 5 in a row including one to Delaware State. Following a 28 point win vs Fordham we lost to LIU.
No one is dancing down Union turnpike after this win. Need some patsies on the schedule , gives us a chance to give our backups some experience and confidence and work on things. . It’s a win . Next week will be challenging, especially wo Lovett. Hoping for a split.

goredmen

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2017, 12:33:33 PM »

No one is dancing down Union turnpike after this win. Need some patsies on the schedule , gives us a chance to give our backups some experience and confidence and work on things. . It’s a win . Next week will be challenging, especially wo Lovett. Hoping for a split.

Wow, how negative of you

Poison

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2017, 12:36:59 PM »
I get your point now.

I expected this staff to work significantly harder at recruiting because that as I understand it is one the reasons Lavin was let go. Of course guys are going to get hurt. Every team has guys that get hurt. Lovett was hurt last year, too. In year 3 we shouldn't be dealing with what Georgetown should be dealing with now, and isn't.

They could have looked a lot harder for a 6'7 mid major combo forward who could have given us 10/15 minutes a game as a grad transfer. Kid from LIU for example. Why aren't we after that guy? Or one like him? Maybe there weren't 6/11 studs out there, but we've got Alibegovic and I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a better option available somewhere. They could have found someone to replace Holifield, because we are now an ankle injury away from having 2 guards. Sometimes I hate being right. Now is one of those of times.

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2017, 12:49:37 PM »
I get your point now.

I expected this staff to work significantly harder at recruiting because that as I understand it is one the reasons Lavin was let go. Of course guys are going to get hurt. Every team has guys that get hurt. Lovett was hurt last year, too. In year 3 we shouldn't be dealing with what Georgetown should be dealing with now, and isn't.

They could have looked a lot harder for a 6'7 mid major combo forward who could have given us 10/15 minutes a game as a grad transfer. Kid from LIU for example. Why aren't we after that guy? Or one like him? Maybe there weren't 6/11 studs out there, but we've got Alibegovic and I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a better option available somewhere. They could have found someone to replace Holifield, because we are now an ankle injury away from having 2 guards. Sometimes I hate being right. Now is one of those of times.

That combo forward you're describing sounds an awful lot like Sidney Wilson. Not sure how much blame staff deserves for him leaving in June. I also don't know much about why Darien Williams transferred, but he would have fit your description as well (I'm not a big fan of his, but he'd give us energy and 6-12 minutes per game of ok basketball as a tall guy).

I don't disagree with your larger point though.