Foad

Re: Sacred Heat Prediction
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2017, 01:14:20 PM »
Sacred Heart recap: http://www.bigeastboards.com/

Poison

« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2017, 01:20:27 PM »
I get your point now.

Still not sure if it's laziness & incompetence as much as having an explainable crappy record the last two years and making it hard to attract marginal D1 players to fill bottom or roster spots vs. look to go to a school in a weaker conference or without a strong starting 5 and have better likelihood of minutes.

I expected this staff to work significantly harder at recruiting because that as I understand it is one the reasons Lavin was let go. Of course guys are going to get hurt. Every team has guys that get hurt. Lovett was hurt last year, too. In year 3 we shouldn't be dealing with what Georgetown should be dealing with now, and isn't.

They could have looked a lot harder for a 6'7 mid major combo forward who could have given us 10/15 minutes a game as a grad transfer. Kid from LIU for example. Why aren't we after that guy? Or one like him? Maybe there weren't 6/11 studs out there, but we've got Alibegovic and I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a better option available somewhere. They could have found someone to replace Holifield, because we are now an ankle injury away from having 2 guards. Sometimes I hate being right. Now is one of those of times.

That combo forward you're describing sounds an awful lot like Sidney Wilson. Not sure how much blame staff deserves for him leaving in June. I also don't know much about why Darien Williams transferred, but he would have fit your description as well (I'm not a big fan of his, but he'd give us energy and 6-12 minutes per game of ok basketball as a tall guy).

I don't disagree with your larger point though.

The staff recruited and lost two guys that were wrong for our program. For different reasons Brown and Wilson were wrong for this program. The staff should have been elsewhere. Instead they counted on guys that weren’t ready to come here. After Brown was turned away a lot of time passed before they added anyone and when they finally did, it was a guy with his own issues. Again, different ones, but issues. 

I refuse to believe that they couldn’t have found a lunch pail big man who loves to board. So, why didn’t they?

Poison

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2017, 01:29:13 PM »
That said, we should be talking about how well we played in the second half yesterday. Ponds is hot again at the right time.

Some other random things I liked:
-I loved the up and under by Yakwe. Haven’t seen him even try that. It’s very simple he needs to keep working at it and he’ll get it. He really doesn’t have a natural feel for the game, and that means that he still needs to learn it. It seems that he’s improving a little each game. He could put it together soon.

-I like that we are running plays did Owens. We desperately need him to be an offensive threat this season. His defense yesterday in the second half was stellar.

-Alibegovic was ok yesterday. He did some things well that don’t show up in the box score. Like when he tipped the rebound to Ponds. Sure, I’d prefer he catch it, but baby steps. And seriously, stop friggen dribbling from 30 feet out. That hasn’t worked since Mike Hopkins was coaching against you.

-Clark had a solid game. He gives us 14 and 7 and we’re golden.

-
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 01:46:38 PM by Poison »

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2017, 01:38:44 PM »
I get your point now.

Still not sure if it's laziness & incompetence as much as having an explainable crappy record the last two years and making it hard to attract marginal D1 players to fill bottom or roster spots vs. look to go to a school in a weaker conference or without a strong starting 5 and have better likelihood of minutes.

I expected this staff to work significantly harder at recruiting because that as I understand it is one the reasons Lavin was let go. Of course guys are going to get hurt. Every team has guys that get hurt. Lovett was hurt last year, too. In year 3 we shouldn't be dealing with what Georgetown should be dealing with now, and isn't.

They could have looked a lot harder for a 6'7 mid major combo forward who could have given us 10/15 minutes a game as a grad transfer. Kid from LIU for example. Why aren't we after that guy? Or one like him? Maybe there weren't 6/11 studs out there, but we've got Alibegovic and I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a better option available somewhere. They could have found someone to replace Holifield, because we are now an ankle injury away from having 2 guards. Sometimes I hate being right. Now is one of those of times.

That combo forward you're describing sounds an awful lot like Sidney Wilson. Not sure how much blame staff deserves for him leaving in June. I also don't know much about why Darien Williams transferred, but he would have fit your description as well (I'm not a big fan of his, but he'd give us energy and 6-12 minutes per game of ok basketball as a tall guy).

I don't disagree with your larger point though.

The staff recruited and lost two guys that were wrong for our program. For different reasons Brown and Wilson were wrong for this program. The staff should have been elsewhere. Instead they counted on guys that weren’t ready to come here. After Brown was turned away a lot of time passed before they added anyone and when they finally did, it was a guy with his own issues. Again, different ones, but issues. 

I refuse to believe that they couldn’t have found a lunch pail big man who loves to board. So, why didn’t they?

I didn't mention Brown because everyone knew there were obvious red flags about him ever going to college. Staff should not be excused for not having three or four viable backup plans -- especially since he decommitted early in the year.

I'm more lenient on Wilson because when someone signs a LOI and literally starts taking summer classes at your school, you should fairly presume they will suit up and play for that season. That's a fair expectation and shouldn't require a backup plan of any sort -- that situation is irregular. I'd blame the staff more for not retaining Williams. The guy is playing 8 minutes a game at Nevada (played 6 against UC Irvine last night). He would be doing the same, if not more, here. I don't know the particular circumstances or if it was actually preventable, but he's the type of depth guy who's OK as your 8th man.

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2017, 01:40:11 PM »
That said, we should be talking about how well we played in the second half yesterday. Ponds is hot again at the right time.

-I loved the up and under by Yakwe. Haven’t seen him even try that. It’s very simple he needs to keep working at and he’ll get it. It seems that he’s improving a little each game. He could put it together.

-I like that we are running plays did Owens. We desperately need him to be an offensive threat this season. His defense yesterday in the second half was stellar.

-Alibegovic was ok yesterday. He did some things well that don’t show up in the box score. Like when he tipped the rebound to Ponds. Sure, I’d prefer he catch it, but baby steps. And seriously, stop friggen dribbling from 30 feet out. That hasn’t worked since Mike Hopkins was coaching against you.

-

I'm impressed that this team generally revamped their whole attitude about defense. To see the effort 40 minutes a game, it's what separates us from last year and keeps us in a game where we struggle in the first half.

Poison

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2017, 01:55:20 PM »

-I loved the up and under by Yakwe. Haven’t seen him even try that. It’s very simple he needs to keep working at and he’ll get it. It seems that he’s improving a little each game. He could put it together.

-

I'm impressed that this team generally revamped their whole attitude about defense. To see the effort 40 minutes a game, it's what separates us from last year and keeps us in a game where we struggle in the first half.

I agree. They are getting after it this year on defense.

I’m sure everyone wondered what Chris Mullin said to his team at half time, but they stopped hitting threes and STJ started to play the cohesive style of basketball that Mullin not unlike the unselfish squads that he played on here.

Now let’s see them do that for 40 minutes against Grand Canyon. Whoever they are.

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2017, 01:57:50 PM »

I didn't mention Brown because everyone knew there were obvious red flags about him ever going to college. Staff should not be excused for not having three or four viable backup plans -- especially since he decommitted early in the year.

I'm more lenient on Wilson because when someone signs a LOI and literally starts taking summer classes at your school, you should fairly presume they will suit up and play for that season. That's a fair expectation and shouldn't require a backup plan of any sort -- that situation is irregular. I'd blame the staff more for not retaining Williams. The guy is playing 8 minutes a game at Nevada (played 6 against UC Irvine last night). He would be doing the same, if not more, here. I don't know the particular circumstances or if it was actually preventable, but he's the type of depth guy who's OK as your 8th man.
[/quote]

Could be wrong but think Williams left because he thought he deserved more PT. Grass is not always greener.

TONYD3

« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2017, 02:03:26 PM »
Grand Canyon who ever they are is right. No excuses. Need the win

Foad

« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2017, 02:32:47 PM »
They are getting after it this year on defense.

I liked the full court pressure. Something we haven't seen.

Now let’s see them do that for 40 minutes against Grand Canyon. Whoever they are.

55 and 16 over two years is pretty good (including four respectable losses to ranked teams), I don't care what league they're in. An 11:30 est start on the road adds two degrees of difficulty and no Lovett adds another. It might be a should win but it's not a gimme.

Poison

« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2017, 02:42:11 PM »

55 and 16 over two years is pretty good (including four respectable losses to ranked teams), I don't care what league they're in. An 11:30 est start on the road adds two degrees of difficulty and no Lovett adds another. It might be a should win but it's not a gimme.

55-16 is obscene. I had no idea they were that dominant. Clearly, it’s no gimme. Still, no road game is a gimme. Most of the guys will have to play well. If Ponds or Ahmed or Simon are off, we’re in big trouble.

ras

« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2017, 03:45:57 PM »
Although I never heard of them, I looked them up last night. They may only have 1 loss, to San Diego State. Playing out west against them wo Lovett is challenging. Hope to get the W , but they are not Sacred Heart.

« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2017, 03:47:27 PM »
Although I never heard of them, I looked them up last night. They may only have 1 loss, to San Diego State. Playing out west against them wo Lovett is challenging. Hope to get the W , but they are not Sacred Heart.

They lost to San Diego.  Not San Diego State.

Foad

« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2017, 04:08:51 PM »

55-16 is obscene. I had no idea they were that dominant. Clearly, it’s no gimme. Still, no road game is a gimme. Most of the guys will have to play well. If Ponds or Ahmed or Simon are off, we’re in big trouble.

And this is close to their Super Bowl, which adds another degree. They play Louisville but no one else. I suspect Dan Majerle will have them up for it, he being a lesser version of Mullin.

« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2017, 07:09:04 PM »

Could be wrong but think Williams left because he thought he deserved more PT. Grass is not always greener.
[/quote]

Wilson committed in late May land at it was a surprise he when he announced he was not going to go to Brewster earlier that month as much as it was a surprise he committed to STJ.  It could be said that the staff should probably have already had other options and a fuller roster for this season before they even knew they had a chance at Wilson.  And yes it's their fault.  But next year the roster will be pretty full so they go that going for them. 

MCNPA

« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2017, 07:57:21 PM »
Grand Canyon has a nice record.  They are new to D1 ball.  We need to beat them... period.  It will certainly be a tough game and if we aren’t ready and come out playing like garbage it won’t help.  Need to give their record and their home respect, but gotta go in looking to winand nothing else.  No surprises.

goredmen

« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2017, 08:09:37 PM »
Grand Canyon has a nice record.  They are new to D1 ball.  We need to beat them... period.  It will certainly be a tough game and if we aren’t ready and come out playing like garbage it won’t help.  Need to give their record and their home respect, but gotta go in looking to winand nothing else.  No surprises.

Agree, a tough game, but one that must be won with relative ease if this team is going to accomplish anything of significance this season

« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2017, 08:09:55 PM »
We've got to beat Grand Canyon, Iona, and St. Joe's. No excuses.

redslope

« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2017, 08:10:47 PM »
Don't  get frustrated on what you wish the staff did to "screw up" roster and leave us "short" of players but remember that they lost 2 guards, Ellison and Mussini, after the season (Mussini in June).  The fact that were able to come up with Trimble says something positive.  They also bring in 2 transfers in Dixon and Keita ( we are happy with transfers Simon and Clark so maybe not such a bad thing).  Having too many players can cause problems re playing time (Ellerson and Williams).   Furthermore, most teams only play 7 to 8 players on average. Not comparing us to quality but take a look at Nova and Duke over the years.

Marillac

« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2017, 08:54:37 PM »
Don't  get frustrated on what you wish the staff did to "screw up" roster and leave us "short" of players but remember that they lost 2 guards, Ellison and Mussini, after the season (Mussini in June).  The fact that were able to come up with Trimble says something positive.  They also bring in 2 transfers in Dixon and Keita ( we are happy with transfers Simon and Clark so maybe not such a bad thing).  Having too many players can cause problems re playing time (Ellerson and Williams).   Furthermore, most teams only play 7 to 8 players on average. Not comparing us to quality but take a look at Nova and Duke over the years.

The staff screwed up. End of story. I think it is the kind of mistake that only has to happen once. I love the concept of bringing in a pair of redshirt transfers each year. Hopefully that continues.

MCNPA

« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2017, 10:13:44 PM »

The staff screwed up. End of story. I think it is the kind of mistake that only has to happen once. I love the concept of bringing in a pair of redshirt transfers each year. Hopefully that continues.

Agree with both.  Staff probably should have had a player or two more on boards this season, we are struggling with depth.  That said, Sid Wilson would probably have filled much of the depth void, but not at guard nor center.   

Also agree with the redshirt transfers.  We are getting quality players and guys that really want to be here.  I’m happy with 2 per year as well because almost nobody goes 13 deep with blue chippers.  I’d be very happy with our 12/th and 13th men being transfers of quality, and going 11 deep with two full, talented lineups +1.   It assures we always have a steady flow of experienced guys in one way or anothe.