« on: December 03, 2017, 04:24:30 PM »
Any board members going ? Don't really know how many are in LA

If so, would like to get a meet up going

Let me know

You can text me at 909-767-3553 

Marillac

Re: ASU Game Dec 8 at Staples Center
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 10:29:17 PM »
I think we actually matchup very well with ASU. They only play 7 guys, they aren't brawny or tall, they don't defend, and they are small-guard oriented. Tra Holder had the game of his life against Xavier and they haven't really played anyone else of note. They also play at #3 Kansas two days after us. Can you say trap game?

Lovett will be back...LA was his home for a few years.

Make their "bigs" beat you and don't cheat to help at all. Box out, get some easy buckets in secondary transition off their long misses, and do some Simon to Owens hi-lo action.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 11:57:34 PM »
I think we actually matchup very well with ASU. They only play 7 guys, they aren't brawny or tall, they don't defend, and they are small-guard oriented. Tra Holder had the game of his life against Xavier and they haven't really played anyone else of note. They also play at #3 Kansas two days after us. Can you say trap game?

Make their "bigs" beat you and don't cheat to help at all. Box out, get some easy buckets in secondary transition off their long misses, and do some Simon to Owens hi-lo action.

I think they also beat Kansas State who is 7-1, and #39 in the Kenpom ratings.

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 01:00:35 AM »

I think they also beat Kansas State who is 7-1, and #39 in the Kenpom ratings.

They edged out Kansas State 92-90. KSU's only quality opponents so far have been 4-4 GW and and 3-5 Vanderbilt. They were voted to finish second to last in the Big 12 by the coaches. I get the sense that KSU is on par with Marquette.

ASU plays 7 guys. They start 6'9 210 and 6'8 220  freshmen up front with a pair of 6'1 guards and a 6'5 190 shooter at SF. They have a first year 6'10 225 JUCO transfer off the bench as their only front court depth. And all three bigs are foul prone.

MCNPA

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 11:01:32 AM »
Apparently ASU struggled offensively against San Francisco.  Their torrid scoring pace had to sputter at least a little.  As I said before the season, we will go as far as our defense and rebounding takes us.  We have a very good offense that hasn’t come close to potential yet.   That said, defense and rebounding is what it takes to win this game.  Maybe mix up defense a bit to confuse them.  It’s winnable and would be a very high quality win. 

TONYD3

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 11:49:53 AM »
Is this game on tv? PAC 12 channel

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 11:54:44 AM »

Yes, it's on TV for anyone who has access to the PAC 12 channel.  I wouldn't doubt one of those online streamers pick up this game.

TONYD3

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 12:17:10 PM »

Yes, it's on TV for anyone who has access to the PAC 12 channel.  I wouldn't doubt one of those online streamers pick up this game.
I have almost every channel. I don’t think I get it with Verizon . Hoping msg picks it up. I will loook when I get home

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 02:04:58 PM »

Let me know

Hey Ted, looks like I'm going to have to work later than I wanted Friday and might not be able to pregame.  If you are going somewhere let me know.  I propose a halftime meet up for any posters from either site at the Goose Island stand outside section 108, that's close to wear the St Johns tix per our FB chat.    There's also some pretty good food options at Staples.  Between games I'll likely go to BS Taqueria or Ludo  Bird in the 117-119 area.  Hope to see you Friday.  I'll post on other site as well.

MCNPA

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 07:50:47 AM »
Unlike the Grand Canyon game, the ASU game is a no-lose situation for us, but a lot to gain.  Top 16 team and away game.  They have been scintillating on offense and looking excellent overall with the exception of their game against San Francisco where they weren’t hitting on all cylinders.  SJU hasn’t really hit on all cylinders for more than a half at a time this season.  We aren’t gonna win this one without a healthy Lovett.  We also aren’t gonna win without a much better than average game defending, rebounding and scoring.   Not much to lose here but an awful lot of RPI points to gain if we can muster a win on the road.   Not sure we can the way we have been looking but we certainly have the talent to do it.

sju89tr

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 08:32:13 AM »

Let me know

Hey Ted, looks like I'm going to have to work later than I wanted Friday and might not be able to pregame.  If you are going somewhere let me know.  I propose a halftime meet up for any posters from either site at the Goose Island stand outside section 108, that's close to wear the St Johns tix per our FB chat.    There's also some pretty good food options at Staples.  Between games I'll likely go to BS Taqueria or Ludo  Bird in the 117-119 area.  Hope to see you Friday.  I'll post on other site as well.

I'll see you there austor. If you get there early, I will be at the Yardhouse with my family.

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 10:20:53 AM »
Unlike the Grand Canyon game, the ASU game is a no-lose situation for us, but a lot to gain.  Top 16 team and away game.  They have been scintillating on offense and looking excellent overall with the exception of their game against San Francisco where they weren’t hitting on all cylinders.  SJU hasn’t really hit on all cylinders for more than a half at a time this season.  We aren’t gonna win this one without a healthy Lovett.  We also aren’t gonna win without a much better than average game defending, rebounding and scoring.   Not much to lose here but an awful lot of RPI points to gain if we can muster a win on the road.   Not sure we can the way we have been looking but we certainly have the talent to do it.

agree, not much to lose here.  St. john's has done a nice job thus far positioning itself for the ncaa tourney.  only loss is to missouri, who currently has the number 2 rpi.  if st. john's avoids losses to georgetown, depaul, st. joe's, and iona, they'll be at 14 wins (i doubt this actually happens based on recent history, but let's hope for the best for argument's sake).  While it's hard to predict, given their good standing in rpi, 20 wins probably gets them in or right on the bubble, so they'll need to find 6 (or so) more wins somewhere on the schedule.  going 6 - 10 against ASU, Duke, Nova, Creighton, Butler, Xavier, SH, Prov, and Marquette is doable, but will require actually beating some good teams.  Obviously picking up a win against either nova or duke would be incredibly helpful to their tourney hopes but that's highly unlikley.  so they really need to go 6 - 7 against that other group of teams.

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 10:22:17 AM »
Thought this game is in California and is a neutral cite game unless I guess you consider the team closest to the venue the home team.

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 12:07:12 PM »
TV - Sling TV appears to carry the PAC 12 network    On Sling's website there is a free 7 day trial     Make sure to scroll down when selecting service packages to check off sports package which includes PAC 12 network

Prediction - Lovett plays without being hampered by injury SJU takes down ASU !!!

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 12:13:04 PM »
Sounds like Lovett is going to play.

Lovett and Ponds vs Tra Holder should be fun.

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 01:34:42 PM »

I see that Holder is only listed at 6'1, I thinking puting Simon who is 6'5 on Holder and have him smother Holder defensively.
Maybe interrupt Holders game a bit.

MCNPA

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 01:40:05 PM »

I see that Holder is only listed at 6'1, I thinking puting Simon who is 6'5 on Holder and have him smother Holder defensively.
Maybe interrupt Holders game a bit.

Hard to say, but our guards can be equally explosive.  Definitely need to give Holder a hard time though.  Most of ASU's points come from the outside from guys like holder, Evans etc.  our perimeter defense has to be good.  Their guards are small and quick like ours. If we rattle them a bit and take control of defensive glass we have a good shot.  We are similar teams in some ways.  We have good shotblocking inside which could really help us here.  I think like marillac said, this isn't a terrible match up in terms of fit.  We are equally as fast and athletic.  Neither team overly deep.  ASU doesn't have a ton of devastating size,  most important will be defense, rebounding and disrupting their shooting success.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:55:37 PM by MCNPA »

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 01:47:11 PM »
We match up well. We are actually deeper and bigger. That probably won't happen again this season. They don't travel well either, so there shouldn't be a crowd advantage.

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 01:56:06 PM »
We match up well. We are actually deeper and bigger. That probably won't happen again this season. They don't travel well either, so there shouldn't be a crowd advantage.

Yeah they only go 7 deep, and their 4 guards average almost 130 mins per game combined (vs. 114 for St J's 4 guards).  3 of of them are 6-6'1'.  But the big one shoots threes really well so he might require SImon.  Good matchup for St Johns defensively on the outside.  Managing their bigs could be an issue but there's lots of fouls to throw at them.  White and Lake both shoot under 60% from the line.  Key will be defensive rebounding and limiting second chance points I think.  That and turning it into another rock fight.  ;)