ASU Game Dec 8 at Staples Center

• 186 replies

Poison

Re: ASU Game Dec 8 at Staples Center
« Reply #120 on: December 09, 2017, 08:36:43 PM »
This is a team that's one major player away from being relevant.  As I wrote before, we need a player who can put the team on his back.  With Lovett out, we were two players away.  We were way down in the first half.  Arizona toyed with us in the second half...then when it mattered, they scored the final eleven points.  Cat and mouse...and we're the mouse.

We don’t even a have a full roster of players, and you’re asking for Ron Artest to walk through the door. The time to recruit was before the season started.

« Reply #121 on: December 09, 2017, 08:57:29 PM »
This is a team that's one major player away from being relevant.  As I wrote before, we need a player who can put the team on his back.  With Lovett out, we were two players away.  We were way down in the first half.  Arizona toyed with us in the second half...then when it mattered, they scored the final eleven points.  Cat and mouse...and we're the mouse.

You didn’t watch the game, if that is your conclusion.

« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2017, 10:26:48 PM »

This is the only game I missed.  That's how I reached the conclusion. This team is developing a predictable body of work.  It's a far cry better than last year and the year before.  We're one player short.   

« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2017, 11:40:16 PM »
I understand they had a shot and Arizona St is good and Lovett not being there hurts.  But they need to start winning these games.  They need to start making the plays at the end.  No guarantees that they will win all the games we think they should win.  Have to get the next 2.

Again not the end of the world they lost and they had a shot in the 2nd half with the ball but at some point they need to win these games.
I understand they had a shot and Arizona St is good and Lovett not being there hurts.  But they need to start winning these games.  They need to start making the plays at the end.  No guarantees that they will win all the games we think they should win.  Have to get the next 2.

Again not the end of the world they lost and they had a shot in the 2nd half with the ball but at some point they need to win these games.

Top 16 team, we have a short bench and without arguably our second best/best player.  With Lovett we win this one going away and arenin top 25 Monday.  We still aren’t playing well on offense and we need to.  We are playing well on defense which is more important imo.  Our offense sooner or later will kick in I’m confident.  A top 16 team averaging about 100 ppg isnt an easy game without a major starter.  I agree we could have won this one.  Ponds still hasn’t hit his rhythm and Lovett out.  When they’re both firing, they’re like 2+ Tra Holders...

With Lovett we win, well what if their good injured player wasn't injured, would we win even with Lovett?
It makes me laugh that people cry over Lovett.
Well AZ St. has no depth with their injured player as well.

And yeah Ponds was off, but wasn't Holder as well with only 7pnts?

« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2017, 12:35:28 AM »

Top 16 team, we have a short bench and without arguably our second best/best player.  With Lovett we win this one going away and arenin top 25 Monday.  We still aren’t playing well on offense and we need to.  We are playing well on defense which is more important imo.  Our offense sooner or later will kick in I’m confident.  A top 16 team averaging about 100 ppg isnt an easy game without a major starter.  I agree we could have won this one.  Ponds still hasn’t hit his rhythm and Lovett out.  When they’re both firing, they’re like 2+ Tra Holders...

With Lovett we win, well what if their good injured player wasn't injured, would we win even with Lovett?
It makes me laugh that people cry over Lovett.
Well AZ St. has no depth with their injured player as well.

And yeah Ponds was off, but wasn't Holder as well with only 7pnts?

What top player from Arizona State was missing?  All their big dawgs played last night.  They may have had an injured reserve who barely played any minutes, but anyone that actually mattered for Arizona State suited up and played last night.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 12:37:05 AM by mjdinkins »

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 07:47:21 AM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #126 on: December 10, 2017, 11:32:23 AM »

« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2017, 02:29:21 PM »
ASU also added 2016 winter transfer Mikey Mitchell from Oh St today.  Was a 4 star out of HS.  ST J missed him by just a couple days.  Their fans were rightfully very high on their team this year once all the parts are in, and next year they add former 5 star transfer Carlton Bragg from Kansas.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 02:29:46 PM by austour »

« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2017, 03:06:27 PM »

This is the only game I missed.  That's how I reached the conclusion. This team is developing a predictable body of work.  It's a far cry better than last year and the year before.  We're one player short.   

So you don't watch the game, but proceed to make a post about ASU toying with us? Ridiculous.

« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2017, 03:28:28 PM »
ASU up 13 on Kansas with under 10 to go.

Quite frankly, the Sun Devils just look like the better team.

Marillac

« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2017, 03:56:57 PM »
Simon is a disaster at the end of basketball games. He should not touch the ball late in close games.

« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2017, 04:03:44 PM »
Arizona State just beat Kansas in Kansas! They are legit.

« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2017, 04:21:15 PM »

They hung 58 on Kansas in the 2nd half...wow

Foad

« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2017, 04:36:25 PM »

Could it be that SJ defense is legit? Because it looks legit.

« Reply #134 on: December 10, 2017, 04:37:15 PM »
If we had beaten Az State before they took down Kansas in Kansas, that would mean something. Having lost to them, all it says is that they're undefeated and off to a tremendous start.

We have to stop getting into 17 or 18 point holes and start putting together a whole 40 minutes against teams. It's time for us to beat some teams ourselves if we want to make a big leap forward from last year's results. Getting to be put up or shut up time.

Foad

« Reply #135 on: December 10, 2017, 05:01:33 PM »
If we had beaten Az State before they took down Kansas in Kansas, that would mean something. Having lost to them, all it says is that they're undefeated and off to a tremendous start.

Pretty sure that's not how RPI works. The better the teams you lose to does, the better it is for you.

goredmen

« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2017, 05:17:25 PM »

Yay, moral victories! Those are always more fun than real ones

« Reply #137 on: December 10, 2017, 05:38:34 PM »
I understand that Az State's win over Kansas boosts our RPI. And it's clear that our defense with Simon and Clark is far better than last year's . I still think this team can take a big leap forward this year, but if that's going to happen, we can't lose to Iona in MSG or to St. Joe's on a neutral court. After that, with our early conference schedule, we really do need to beat Providence at home to kick off BE play. We will know way more about this team by the end of this month.

Would love to get a healthy LoVett back now for the rest of the season. Our D is much improved, and we can run with anybody, but our half court play and shot selection have to improve. Right now, Clark is our best shooter, so he needs more shots. Think he's coming on now, which will only open things up way more for our guards. Would like to see Ahmed as a catch and shoot corner guy. He's way better when his feet are set. Guys should settle into more defined roles once we play a few more games. This is a very important three game stretch.

Pete88

« Reply #138 on: December 10, 2017, 05:43:02 PM »

Did you expect this team to be undefeated at this point? 

goredmen

« Reply #139 on: December 10, 2017, 05:52:38 PM »

Did you expect this team to be undefeated at this point? 

No, but we shouldn't celebrate losing just because the defense may have been halfway decent