Game 9: Grand Canyon

• 336 replies
Re: Game 9: Grand Canyon
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 09:33:48 PM »
SJU show cases that defense

SJU 70
GC 47

No problem
You do realize they are 3 point favorites right? I'll be thrilled to come away with a one point victory.

This loser-mentality is nonsense and classic for SJU fans.  It’s a syndrome because of our history.  Don’t let the spread dictate our mentality.   We are more talented, better overall and shouldn’t be praying for one point wins against New D1 teams...
Unless I'm going completely senile Paultzman posted it on one of the cites. Not a loser mentality to win by one against this team on the road if they are anything like the team I saw a couple of years ago on TV. Dan Majerle had some athletes and they were playing good basketball.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:34:27 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 09:41:07 PM »
Just checked the other cite and Paultzman did post us as 3 point dogs and then new posts had us a 5 point fav and the talk was of divergent spreads. Hey if you can't trust Paultzman who can you trust? I don't make shit up on this board. Oh and BTW even as a 5 point fav I'll take a one point win and I am not one of those guys that says a win is a win I always want us to play well and look good or otherwise I'm rarely happy.

paultzman

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 09:41:10 PM »

SJU 70
GC 47

No problem
You do realize they are 3 point favorites right? I'll be thrilled to come away with a one point victory.

This loser-mentality is nonsense and classic for SJU fans.  It’s a syndrome because of our history.  Don’t let the spread dictate our mentality.   We are more talented, better overall and shouldn’t be praying for one point wins against New D1 teams...
Unless I'm going completely senile Paultzman posted it on one of the cites. Not a loser mentality to win by one against this team on the road if they are anything like the team I saw a couple of years ago on TV. Dan Majerle had some athletes and they were playing good basketball.

Another poster on RM Initially said we were three point dogs, but I have also seen us as 5 point favorite.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:43:46 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 09:53:01 PM »
The Canyon beat my other favorite team last season at Mohegan sun and my other favorite team is darn good.  We have to hope that the Havoc's are somewhat negated by the off campus site.

I predict a life or death struggle in this one and fear that if Love it doesn't play, we die.

Grand Canyon        - 69
Canyon of Heroes - 65

goredmen

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 10:04:37 PM »
Think the talk of SJU being 3 point dogs in this one is coming from here which seems to have an incorrect feed. Because we are 3-5 point favorites everywhere i've checked.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/

MCNPA

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2017, 11:35:51 PM »

SJU 70
GC 47

No problem

Still a loser-mentality IMO....  Good D1 teams don't go out thinking they are going out to lose to the Grand Canyon's of the world.  This isn't a knock on Grand Canyon.  It's more of a mind set of winning.  If we are believing we are lucky to escape this with a win, then we have no business thinking we are a tourney team.  We have no business thinking we are even a top 6 Big East team if we are entering this with that sort of mindset.  I hope the players aren't... we are more talented, and this is the time to showcase that,..

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2017, 01:09:43 AM »
Think the talk of SJU being 3 point dogs in this one is coming from here which seems to have an incorrect feed. Because we are 3-5 point favorites everywhere i've checked.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/

ESPN has us as a 5 point favorite, and FPI gives us a 65% chance of winning.

Foad

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2017, 07:00:02 AM »
Rule 3: All St John's games are either gimmes, must wins, or must win gimmes.

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2017, 09:12:52 AM »

If this is considered a road game it is worth as much in the RPI as a home win over Duke. SJU has to win one of the games this week or they will have dig a very deep hole and are likely out of NCAA tournament contention.

cjfish

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2017, 10:01:35 AM »
It is way too early to think that we are out of the tournament if we lose this game.  If we win 9 or more games in conference we are in. Given key injuries to several middle of the pack teams this should be no problem.....as long as we have no key injuries.  Think optimistically.   

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2017, 10:16:47 AM »

SJU 70
GC 47

No problem

Still a loser-mentality IMO....  Good D1 teams don't go out thinking they are going out to lose to the Grand Canyon's of the world.  This isn't a knock on Grand Canyon.  It's more of a mind set of winning.  If we are believing we are lucky to escape this with a win, then we have no business thinking we are a tourney team.  We have no business thinking we are even a top 6 Big East team if we are entering this with that sort of mindset.  I hope the players aren't... we are more talented, and this is the time to showcase that,..

First off,  the mentality of posters on a message board ( and there are a lot of mental cases here ) is insignificant.  The state of mind of the team is all that matters.

Secondly,  seeing potential danger in playing a west coast road game at 1130 at night against a team that's done a lot of winning and has a ridiculously strong fan base without your best player is natural.

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2017, 10:42:49 AM »

If this is considered a road game it is worth as much in the RPI as a home win over Duke. SJU has to win one of the games this week or they will have dig a very deep hole and are likely out of NCAA tournament contention.

Someone said that this wasn't a road game. Hopefully that's incorrect and we come away with a convincing win.

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2017, 10:43:42 AM »

SJU 70
GC 47

No problem

First off,  the mentality of posters on a message board ( and there are a lot of mental cases here ) is insignificant.  The state of mind of the team is all that matters.

Secondly,  seeing potential danger in playing a west coast road game at 1130 at night against a team that's done a lot of winning and has a ridiculously strong fan base without your best player is natural.

Lovett is our best player? Where does that leave Amar?

Poison

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2017, 11:03:23 AM »
I think this is by and large a confident group. Whether that leads to more basketball like the 2nd half of Sacred Heart, we’ll see. This isn’t Sacred Heart. Frankly, I’m surprised we’ve agreed to play them at all.

Ponds lit it up in the second half on Saturday, and so did everyone else. But it was our amped up defense that kept deflating SH’s game. Eventually they just started chucking up shots. We need that level of defense for both halves.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 11:12:22 AM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2017, 11:26:41 AM »
It is way too early to think that we are out of the tournament if we lose this game.  If we win 9 or more games in conference we are in. Given key injuries to several middle of the pack teams this should be no problem.....as long as we have no key injuries.  Think optimistically.   

If we lose both of the games this week, we will have virtually no chance at making the tournament with 9 conference wins. That would leave us with 17 wins (assuming wins over St. Joe's and Iona) counted by the committee and an RPI in the mid-50's to high 60's. And to get more than 9 wins in the Big East means beating Nova and sweeping one or more teams. That's a tall task for this team. We were fighting an uphill battle to dance to begin with this year.

Marillac

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2017, 11:29:13 AM »

Someone said that this wasn't a road game. Hopefully that's incorrect and we come away with a convincing win.

The RPI used to count our holiday tournament games at MSG as neutral court games but that changed a few years ago. I hope it's the same for the Grand Canyon game given the proximity to their campus.

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2017, 11:38:32 AM »

The RPI used to count our holiday tournament games at MSG as neutral court games but that changed a few years ago. I hope it's the same for the Grand Canyon game given the proximity to their campus.

It depends  on if it is part of the Grand Canyon season ticket package.  If it is, this is a road game.  If not, it's neutral.

Now, if the RPI considers it neutral, some of the other rankings (like KenPom and Sagarin) will at least consider it "semi-road", since it's still in Grand Canyon's market, so those rankings will be friendlier to us either way.  The game against Central Florida worked the same way.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 11:39:22 AM by sju61982 »

TONYD3

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2017, 11:42:07 AM »
Maybe I am crazy . But losing to this shit team would be an awful loss. I don’t care what time or where this game is being played. The excuses and loser mentality is sad from the Mullin faithful. If you guys really believed in our coach this should be a win. Every starter on our team were certainly rated higher then the guys in HS on their team. Our guys should be bigger, stronger , and faster.
It would also be a bad loss if we lost to Utah valley preseason 2 in the wac. Grand Canyon was 3. Not afraid of New Mexico State either. They were 1st. Also this game is not a Home game .  All their crazy fans might not even make the trip.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 11:49:47 AM by TONYD3 »

Wods317

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2017, 11:53:30 AM »
Not an easy game as others have echoed but an important point is this game is not on campus and thus that crazy home court will be mostly negated so now we are just facing an average team on a neutral court. Missing Marcus is tough but even without him this should be a win. If NCAA is the goal this is a game we have to win. It won’t be easy but we should win.

Foad

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2017, 11:58:47 AM »

If that's true we should schedule lots of road games in the preseason versus bad teams. But I don't know if it is. According to the NCAA RPI Is calculated using three factors:

FACTOR 1- Division I Winning Percentage: Take the team’s won-lost percentage against Division I
opponents only.

FACTOR 2. Strength of Schedule: Take each opponent’s won-lost percentage against other Division I
teams and then average these percentages.

FACTOR 3. Opponents’ Strength of Schedule: The strength of each opponent’s schedule is measured by
using the same formula from Factor 2 for each opponent, then averaging these percentages.

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/FAQ_for_MLAX_RPI.pdf

Nothing about home and away in there. Maybe there's some further calculation but the NCAA doesn't mention it. And anyway "The RPI is just one of many factors used by the committee."

And another anyway, teams are rarely out of NCAA tournament contention the first week of December.