Game 9: Grand Canyon

• 336 replies

Marillac

Re: Game 9: Grand Canyon
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2017, 11:59:29 AM »
Rule 3: All St John's games are either gimmes, must wins, or must win gimmes.

If this is considered a road game it is worth as much in the RPI as a home win over Duke. SJU has to win one of the games this week or they will have dig a very deep hole and are likely out of NCAA tournament contention.

Someone said that this wasn't a road game. Hopefully that's incorrect and we come away with a convincing win.

The RPI used to count our holiday tournament games at MSG as neutral court games but that changed a few years ago. I hope it's the same for the Grand Canyon game given the proximity to their campus.

It depends  on if it is part of the Grand Canyon season ticket package.  If it is, this is a road game.  If not, it's neutral.

Now, if the RPI considers it neutral, some of the other rankings (like KenPom and Sagarin) will at least consider it "semi-road", since it's still in Grand Canyon's market, so those rankings will be friendlier to us either way.  The game against Central Florida worked the same way.

Thanks for the explanation. That seems like a very arbitrary method for determining whether a game should be counted as a home game or not. The St. John's game is not part of the GCU season package. So they will have 10k fans there 10 miles from their campus and we won't even get the huge away game boost in the RPI. And the game v. Iona is offered as part of at least our mini-package, so it will get us twice. Terrific.

derk

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2017, 12:01:46 PM »
20,000 enrollment, at a site 15 minutes from campus, with a pro coach, without our "best" player, with a stagnant offense, seems like a tough matchup to me.

MCNPA

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2017, 12:10:49 PM »
All reasons that this is not my favorite type game to schedule.  I’d avoid these type of no-win games on future schedules.  Regardless, we now need to take care of business...

Marillac

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2017, 12:11:19 PM »
20,000 enrollment, at a site 15 minutes from campus, with a pro coach, without our "best" player, with a stagnant offense, seems like a tough matchup to me.

Let's not get carried away. They aren't a cupcake but they aren't very good either. And our best player is going to drop 30 tonight. A bubble team should be able to walk in and beat them by double-digits. San Diego beat them by 10 on the GCU campus and then lost to UCSB by 10. They are ranked #141 by Ken Pom and 3-4 Iona is #143.

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2017, 12:41:04 PM »

Let's not get carried away. They aren't a cupcake but they aren't very good either. And our best player is going to drop 30 tonight. A bubble team should be able to walk in and beat them by double-digits. San Diego beat them by 10 on the GCU campus and then lost to UCSB by 10. They are ranked #141 by Ken Pom and 3-4 Iona is #143.

This would go in the "good win" category, IMO. It's nice to be excited for games, at times the last few seasons it felt more like a chore.

QuanMan

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2017, 12:42:29 PM »
Spread has moved even more, -6 this afternoon.
Section 3
Section 116

ras

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2017, 12:50:30 PM »

If this is considered a road game it is worth as much in the RPI as a home win over Duke. SJU has to win one of the games this week or they will have dig a very deep hole and are likely out of NCAA tournament contention.

Someone said that this wasn't a road game. Hopefully that's incorrect and we come away with a convincing win.

The RPI used to count our holiday tournament games at MSG as neutral court games but that changed a few years ago. I hope it's the same for the Grand Canyon game given the proximity to their campus.

It depends  on if it is part of the Grand Canyon season ticket package.  If it is, this is a road game.  If not, it's neutral.

Now, if the RPI considers it neutral, some of the other rankings (like KenPom and Sagarin) will at least consider it "semi-road", since it's still in Grand Canyon's market, so those rankings will be friendlier to us either way.  The game against Central Florida worked the same way.

Thanks for the explanation. That seems like a very arbitrary method for determining whether a game should be counted as a home game or not. The St. John's game is not part of the GCU season package. So they will have 10k fans there 10 miles from their campus and we won't even get the huge away game boost in the RPI. And the game v. Iona is offered as part of at least our mini-package, so it will get us twice. Terrific.
The method the NCAA uses, is they look at games played there by a team. If it exceeds a certain percentage it is considered a home game. A BE Tourny game played by us at MSG is considered a home game for us because we play a lot of games there. Whereas if we played at Barcleys it would be a neutral game. GCU doesn't play there, hence the game is a neutral court.

Marillac

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2017, 12:51:20 PM »

This would go in the "good win" category, IMO. It's nice to be excited for games, at times the last few seasons it felt more like a chore.

I wouldn't argue that it's a solid win, but it's not going to be a top 10-12 win for us by season's end. If we lost, though, it would be used against us as a bad loss.

paultzman

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2017, 01:02:18 PM »
Should win, but nothing a lock. Winning 3 of 4 including this game, ASU, St. Joe's & Iona is very essential in my opinion. The BE is too tough to assume you can make up for lost ground in League play.

QuanMan

« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2017, 01:06:27 PM »

I wouldn't argue that it's a solid win, but it's not going to be a top 10-12 win for us by season's end. If we lost, though, it would be used against us as a bad loss.

Even if they win the WAC the way they're predicted to? I'd come out tonight with a full court press after the first bucket. Set the tone early while avoiding early fouls as much as possible. I think that the stars (Shamorie & Justin) really shine tonight.

Johnnies- 82
GCU- 68
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2017, 01:09:54 PM »
Not an easy game as others have echoed but an important point is this game is not on campus and thus that crazy home court will be mostly negated so now we are just facing an average team on a neutral court. Missing Marcus is tough but even without him this should be a win. If NCAA is the goal this is a game we have to win. It won’t be easy but we should win.

Forget should win, they better f'ing win if they want in the NCAA tourny. I don't want to hear omg omg it's a tough game.
We're talking GCU, not a power 6 team, or Wich St, or Zaga.
Every team will give it their best, but we gotta win the winnable games.

Put up or shut up time, contenders or pretenders?
Bottom line is you gotta get it done, no excuses.

Poison

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2017, 01:11:16 PM »
Maybe I am crazy . But losing to this shit team would be an awful loss. I don’t care what time or where this game is being played. The excuses and loser mentality is sad from the Mullin faithful. If you guys really believed in our coach this should be a win. Every starter on our team were certainly rated higher then the guys in HS on their team. Our guys should be bigger, stronger , and faster.
It would also be a bad loss if we lost to Utah valley preseason 2 in the wac. Grand Canyon was 3. Not afraid of New Mexico State either. They were 1st. Also this game is not a Home game .  All their crazy fans might not even make the trip.

This game is on par with Murray State or Old Dominion. Losing usually means you’re not a good team if you lose, but it doesn’t automatically mean that. We lost to Stamford and then won the BE tourney. We’ve lost to Niagara (badly, twice), Fordham, The Bonnies, and Manhattan (twice) and still rebounded to make the tournament.

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2017, 01:20:50 PM »
SJU show cases that defense

SJU 70
GC 47

No problem
You do realize they are 3 point favorites right? I'll be thrilled to come away with a one point victory.

Relax, we got this. Statement game tonight to put AZ St on notice.
"WE'RE COMING."     Plus, we can't allow a NJ B.E school to dominate the local college scene.

Marillac

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2017, 01:37:38 PM »

The method the NCAA uses, is they look at games played there by a team. If it exceeds a certain percentage it is considered a home game. A BE Tourny game played by us at MSG is considered a home game for us because we play a lot of games there. Whereas if we played at Barcleys it would be a neutral game. GCU doesn't play there, hence the game is a neutral court.

I looked into it. Here is the official NCAA policy:  http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/ForSIDs/Policies.pdf

Some sections are susceptible to multiple interpretations, such as the conference tournaments.  It does allow the school to appeal for the determination of the contest  to be changed for the RPI. I don't know if SJU has the type of talent  in the athletic department to get that done, though.

Here are the relevant sections: 

It's considered a home game for  Team A if the site:

"Is in the same city or a reasonable distance within the metropolitan area of Team A, and its opponent, Team B is from outside the metropolitan area. "

However, the contest is considered a neutral-site contest for both teams if the site:

"Is at a venue other than Team A's and Team B's home venue and is hosted and organized by a third party."

This game hits both of those sections, but I'd argue that the proximity to the GCU campus and the disparity in fan support (10k v. <100) combined with GCU season ticket holders, students and alumni receiving discounted admission render this a home game for GCU.

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2017, 01:39:11 PM »

You guys are funny. Arguing about whether or not a coach is doing a good job or not is one thing but now people taking unecessary shots at one of our two best offensive players. Lovett is one of our two best players. However you rate him, it is not a shot at Ponds. Most teams have more than one good player. This team has two on offense. Team is going to struggle against anyone decent without Lovett or Ponds. W/o Lovett, Ponds shoots too much and shoots bad shots which is why his % is so awful. It also makes Ahmed the 2nd best option and no one wants that.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 01:40:24 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2017, 01:48:52 PM »
Maybe I am crazy . But losing to this shit team would be an awful loss. I don’t care what time or where this game is being played. The excuses and loser mentality is sad from the Mullin faithful. If you guys really believed in our coach this should be a win. Every starter on our team were certainly rated higher then the guys in HS on their team. Our guys should be bigger, stronger , and faster.
It would also be a bad loss if we lost to Utah valley preseason 2 in the wac. Grand Canyon was 3. Not afraid of New Mexico State either. They were 1st. Also this game is not a Home game .  All their crazy fans might not even make the trip.

It is 8 miles from campus, uber fare must be at least $10.

Marillac

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2017, 01:50:34 PM »

You guys are funny. Arguing about whether or not a coach is doing a good job or not is one thing but now people taking unecessary shots at one of our two best offensive players. Lovett is one of our two best players. However you rate him, it is not a shot at Ponds. Most teams have more than one good player. This team has two on offense. Team is going to struggle against anyone decent without Lovett or Ponds. W/o Lovett, Ponds shoots too much and shoots bad shots which is why his % is so awful. It also makes Ahmed the 2nd best option and no one wants that.

Ponds is our best player. Lovett is our second best player. Where is the shot I took?

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2017, 02:12:08 PM »

Ponds is our best player. Lovett is our second best player. Where is the shot I took?

Have in past and someone compared him to Amar on this thread. Ponds is really good but people on here way overate him. Not Hatten carry the team by himself good.

Marillac

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2017, 02:29:00 PM »

Have in past and someone compared him to Amar on this thread. Ponds is really good but people on here way overate him. Not Hatten carry the team by himself good.

Hatten was carrying Tallahassee Community college as a soph. My fears are becoming true as Ponds made his way into his first mock draft last week:  http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

He's projected as #44 pick in 2019 ahead of Jalen Brunson. Listed as a PG and not SG or PG/SG like Jalen Adams and others. No knock to Lovett, but he will not be considered by NBA teams unless it's a favor to Mullin.

Foad

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2017, 02:35:25 PM »

Hatten was carrying Tallahassee Community college as a soph. My fears are becoming true as Ponds made his way into his first mock draft last week:  http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

He's projected as #44 pick in 2019 ahead of Jalen Brunson. Listed as a PG and not SG or PG/SG like Jalen Adams and others. No knock to Lovett, but he will not be considered by NBA teams unless it's a favor to Mullin.

My fear isn't that Ponds is good enough to play himself into the NBA draft. It's that he turns out not to be.