Ponds is currently listed as 10th for Player of the Year on KenPom

• 9 replies
It is amazing he is doing this all as a Sophomore. I hope he stays until his senior year. We are watching very special talent.

Wods317

Re: Ponds is currently listed as 10th for Player of the Year on KenPom
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 10:02:36 AM »
Ponds is a different type of player then I think we have had in quite a while. I only became a big fan when I started school at St. John’s in the same class as DJ, Paris, Malik, etc but he’s the best player I have seen in that 10 year period. He is a very special talent and has the chance to be an all American if he sticks around. We are lucky to have him.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 10:03:42 AM by Wods317 »

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 10:47:00 AM »
Yeah, not bad for 2nd team all BE. ::)

QuanMan

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 10:55:54 AM »
Statistics aside my favorite characteristic with Shamorie is his winners mentality, he puts his team on his back and will stop at nothing to win games. Heart of a champion.
Section 3
Section 116

Johnny23

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 11:09:30 AM »
The kid's a player and our leader. Hope he builds the foundation for many successful SJU seasons to come.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 12:55:53 PM »
I feel like he's even been playing a little defense lately.  It's a strong uptrend for the team.

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 01:07:52 PM »
For me the only three comparables are all players who didn't play for STJ until their Jr. years, Boo, Mo and Hardy.  Great scorers (and very good but streaky shooters) who also could handle and distribute and were ultra competitive.  Smaller in stature but not in heart and drive.   When you take into account that Ponds is accomplishing all this almost a year before any of the others played a game for STJ it would appear that he does have the potential to be an all time great if he sticks around. 

derk

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 11:21:43 AM »
For me the only three comparables are all players who didn't play for STJ until their Jr. years, Boo, Mo and Hardy.  Great scorers (and very good but streaky shooters) who also could handle and distribute and were ultra competitive.  Smaller in stature but not in heart and drive.   When you take into account that Ponds is accomplishing all this almost a year before any of the others played a game for STJ it would appear that he does have the potential to be an all time great if he sticks around. 

Whenever someone mentions Hardy I think back to his beautiful baseline layup game winner vs Pitt.

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 08:13:06 PM »
I love Hardy, but Ponds is light years better already.

goredmen

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 08:58:13 PM »
And he hasn't even been shooting well yet