Shamorie Ponds

• 64 replies

Poison

Re: Shamorie Ponds
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 06:04:13 PM »
I love this kid. He’s a special player.

I voted Mullin but by the numbers it might be Omar Cook: 15 points, 9 assists, 3 rebounds. Probably that's inflated because the team was garbage, but imagine how many assists he'd have had if he wasn't passing to Alpha Bangura and Donald Emanuel.

What happens if you switch Cook with Barkley? Elite 8 team better? Worse? Same? In your opinion.

Probably pretty similar.

Worse.  Cook is the only player I've seen to finish 2nd in the nation in assists, yet played totally selfish ball, especially down the stretch that year.

I look at his assist numbers that year, and I almost think he got an assist on every pass he made.  I know I was complaining that he shot too much, and he show WAAAAAAYYY too many three pointers for my liking.

After that first game against Kentucky, I thought he'd take us to the Final Four in his sophomore year.  By February of his freshman year, I was kind of hoping he'd go pro.  If you watched the games, you could tell there was tension between him and his teammates (although tension between Barkley and Bootsy didn't stop us from winning the BE tournament the year before, but that was one incident, by all accounts).

In fairness to Cook, the rest of the team was out of shape, and he was lightyears ahead of everyone. Just imagine how many assists he'd have had if he went to Uconn, Nova or SU. Cook had Willie Shaw, Kyle Cuffe, Anthony Glover and Abe Keita to finish his masterful plays. Yikes. No wonder he left.

Cook,if I remember correctly, wanted to go to North Carolina or Kentucky, but neither would take him.  I doubt the reasons for that had anything to do with his ability (recruiting against those teams back then, was nothing like it is now).

As far as his "bad"teammates that you mentioned, well, Marcus Hatten took that same group to the NCAA Tournament the following season, so either his teammates weren't that bad, or (the more likely scenario) Hatten fit in more with the team concept.

All I know is, I did not shed a single tear when Cook left.  And no, I don't think he and Hatten would have made a super backcourt, because both needed the ball in their hands to be effective.  Hatten and Ingram had some trouble playing together the following year because of that, though they did get it right come March.

That all sounds right to me, except that I think Hatten had better players even if it was just because they were more experienced. In Donald Emanuel’s senior year, he was flat out good. As a junior with Cook, he wasn’t. Little things like that matter. Willie Shaw’s came and went with his freshman season. When it came time for him to partner in the backcourt with Hatten, he wasn’t ready to bring it every night for whatever reason.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 06:08:20 PM »
Honestly these kind of lists should start with Mahoney's first team going forward. For those of us lucky enough to have seen Mullin and Berry play these kind of lists are silly. Guys who never saw those two play just won't understand. Just like I could not comment on the Sonny Dove's and George Johnson's..

In my time as a fan Mullin and Berry are clearly better than anyone who has played here since. And it is not even close. After those two there is a big drop to Malik Sealy and Ron Artest. Then after those two an even bigger drop with a bunch of guys grouped into the next tier.

I think with Artest you have to consider how good he would have been had he stayed in school. As a sophomore, you can argue that he was as good as any STJ sophomore ever including Chris Mullin. Artest was THE force on that team. Backed down from no one.

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 06:57:33 PM »
Honestly these kind of lists should start with Mahoney's first team going forward. For those of us lucky enough to have seen Mullin and Berry play these kind of lists are silly. Guys who never saw those two play just won't understand. Just like I could not comment on the Sonny Dove's and George Johnson's..

In my time as a fan Mullin and Berry are clearly better than anyone who has played here since. And it is not even close. After those two there is a big drop to Malik Sealy and Ron Artest. Then after those two an even bigger drop with a bunch of guys grouped into the next tier.

I think with Artest you have to consider how good he would have been had he stayed in school. As a sophomore, you can argue that he was as good as any STJ sophomore ever including Chris Mullin. Artest was THE force on that team. Backed down from no one.
One of the few guys who could play all five positions. A lot of heart and effort. Part of that 80-1 AAU team with Elton Brand, Jessie, Barkley, Glover, Jessie, Thomas who went to Colorado. Like you said, backed down from no one.

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 07:52:12 PM »
Omar Cook was the bomb!  Flat out GREAT point guard. I think he led the league in assists at 8.7 with Willie "blunt" Shaw and not much more.  Lock Nba size and skill but made one of the worst early entry decisions ever.

Shelton Jones deserves mention somewhere for his amazing senior campaign.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:55:17 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2017, 07:15:32 PM »
Shamorie Ponds‏

Going To THE GYM to Put Some Work In!! IM NO WERE NEAR SATISFIED!! HUMBLE BUT HUNGRY
8:05 AM - 10 Dec 2017

https://twitter.com/ShamorieP/status/939888801626951681
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 07:15:51 PM by RedStormNC »

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 02:56:07 PM »
I love this kid. He’s a special player.

I voted Mullin but by the numbers it might be Omar Cook: 15 points, 9 assists, 3 rebounds. Probably that's inflated because the team was garbage, but imagine how many assists he'd have had if he wasn't passing to Alpha Bangura and Donald Emanuel.

What happens if you switch Cook with Barkley? Elite 8 team better? Worse? Same? In your opinion.

Barkley was a savage. You can't switch him out for anyone and expect to be one shot away from a Final Four.

QuanMan

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2017, 12:03:38 PM »
Through 11 games Shamorie is now shooting 20% from 3 (14/69). There has only been one game where he's had less than 5 attempts from deep (UCF 0/4). I think that we can all agree that this extended slump is not a true reflection of what type of shooter he is, but one can argue that his shot selection needs some improvement.
Section 3
Section 116

paultzman

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2017, 12:28:38 PM »
Yeah, jumper is off & unless he has nagging injury we don't know about, I think he will be fine. A redeeming part of his game when off  is ability to draw fouls & make FTs. This quality is especially critical in closing minutes of game obviously.

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2017, 12:39:18 PM »
Yeah, jumper is off & unless he has nagging injury we don't know about, I think he will be fine. A redeeming part of his game when off  is ability to draw fouls & make FTs. This quality is especially critical in closing minutes of game obviously.

He is a volume shooter with an unorthodox shot. Not having Lovett hurts as other teams gearing up on him.

paultzman

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2017, 12:49:07 PM »

He is a volume shooter with an unorthodox shot. Not having Lovett hurts as other teams gearing up on him.
+1

hnk

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2017, 12:55:23 PM »
I hope when Lovett comes back he gets at least a few assists every game....stops gambling on defense without rotating over....and takes a few, fewer shots.   I like our last game with balanced scoring and five guys in double figures and every starter with at least five rebounds.

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2017, 01:00:03 PM »
I hope when Lovett comes back he gets at least a few assists every game....stops gambling on defense without rotating over....and takes a few, fewer shots.   I like our last game with balanced scoring and five guys in double figures and every starter with at least five rebounds.

He is our best shooter, should shoot as much as he needs to. 

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2017, 01:06:12 PM »
I feel like he's just too nonchalant this year. A few times yesterday I noticed that he didn't fight through screens, lost his man on defense and just stood around while his man was wide open on the perimeter. And on offense he's too concerned with making highlight plays with ridiculous behind the back passes, alley oop lobs when he could just make a normal pass for a layup, trying to dunk when he could easily just lay it in, and shooting 3 pointers from behind the NBA 3 pt line. He's gotta stop hanging out with Melo and work on the fundamentals and making the simple plays. 

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2017, 02:23:22 PM »
Said it after first game, he’s changed his shot up. Still, I’m not worried about him in the slightest.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2017, 10:31:51 PM »
I feel like he's just too nonchalant this year. A few times yesterday I noticed that he didn't fight through screens, lost his man on defense and just stood around while his man was wide open on the perimeter. And on offense he's too concerned with making highlight plays with ridiculous behind the back passes, alley oop lobs when he could just make a normal pass for a layup, trying to dunk when he could easily just lay it in, and shooting 3 pointers from behind the NBA 3 pt line. He's gotta stop hanging out with Melo and work on the fundamentals and making the simple plays. 
This X 1,000

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2017, 11:13:45 PM »
Love him but any thought of him leaving after this year is a dream fortunately for us

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2017, 12:29:57 PM »
Gotta give Shamorie one thing.  His poor outside shooting has not affected the rest of his game.  He's still finding a way to put points on the board, specifically his 89.7% foul shooting, which is really a positive, because he has over 20 more attempts then anyone else on the team (Clark is actually shooting a slightly higher percentage, at 19-21).

hnk

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2017, 12:40:04 PM »
He rebounds.....he passes......he mostly plays solid defense.....he plays in all the games.

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2017, 01:08:42 PM »
He rebounds.....he passes......he mostly plays solid defense.....he plays in all the games.
and he would be even better if he cut down on some of the fancy stuff either that or complete the play when he does it.