Depaul prediction thread

• 226 replies

goredmen

Re: Depaul prediction thread
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2018, 12:30:33 AM »
well I'm happy about the win.... but man that 3 at the buzzer by DePaul really hurt. ugghhh

You need to call your sponsor now.

Not allowed to have a little extra incentive on a game?

« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2018, 12:47:10 AM »
LOL you mean Lovett and Sid Wilson or Lovett and some type of improvement from Yawke (the biggest enigma of anyone I can remember from their freshman year to junior year).

I'd give my right testicle for one more year of Ponds with decent players around him

It’s not the players around him. It’s the players not around him.
Agree. Imagine if we had a PG and another foward . That team could win the big east. Those guys would just have to be ok

« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2018, 12:54:28 AM »
Ponds a one man band!!

« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2018, 01:00:44 AM »
Ponds a one man band!!

Walden was spectacular once again but didn't do it alone.  Hammer and Garfunkel both had good games.  Check the box score.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2018, 01:08:25 AM »
Ponds is a straight up killer man. Made the plays when it was time to win the game. Love it.
I'm a bit confused, are you crediting Ponds or Love it? Haven't seen game yet but when a battle for last place falls on Valentine's Day I have no problem with the wife prevailing. Reading box score and posts looks like we got killed on the boards by like 20. Would think if guys like Owens and especially Ahmed who was 1-7 are having off games offensively they would try to contribute in other ways and become an animal on the boards. Hope Ponds can keep up his stellar play as he has been the biggest difference in our losing streak turning into a winning streak. Seem to recall he tweeted don't worry St. John's fans I got this, well he has really lived up to his word.

Owens, Simon, and Ahmed were crap. Ponds still won us the game. Clark made some big shots but they were all setup beautifully by Ponds. This was as close to a one-man win as you can get in basketball.
His hands are unreal. Anytime you see someone making something happen on a loose ball when the camera doesn't even know where to focus, it's always Ponds. He was going yo and snagging rebounds in traffic too. Goddamn this kid is special.

Simon had 16 points 3 rebounds 3 assists 6-11 FG 2-2 3pt. Not a spectacular game, but definitely not crap. He was in foul trouble from early on and stuck around. I think he was solid.

« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2018, 01:20:07 AM »
You can tell that while this was a Ponds game he really does need Simon out there with him. Takes some pressure off.

« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2018, 01:43:42 AM »
Ponds is a straight up killer man. Made the plays when it was time to win the game. Love it.
I'm a bit confused, are you crediting Ponds or Love it? Haven't seen game yet but when a battle for last place falls on Valentine's Day I have no problem with the wife prevailing. Reading box score and posts looks like we got killed on the boards by like 20. Would think if guys like Owens and especially Ahmed who was 1-7 are having off games offensively they would try to contribute in other ways and become an animal on the boards. Hope Ponds can keep up his stellar play as he has been the biggest difference in our losing streak turning into a winning streak. Seem to recall he tweeted don't worry St. John's fans I got this, well he has really lived up to his word.

Owens, Simon, and Ahmed were crap. Ponds still won us the game. Clark made some big shots but they were all setup beautifully by Ponds. This was as close to a one-man win as you can get in basketball.
His hands are unreal. Anytime you see someone making something happen on a loose ball when the camera doesn't even know where to focus, it's always Ponds. He was going yo and snagging rebounds in traffic too. Goddamn this kid is special.

Simon had 16 points 3 rebounds 3 assists 6-11 FG 2-2 3pt. Not a spectacular game, but definitely not crap. He was in foul trouble from early on and stuck around. I think he was solid.

Exactly!  He missed three layups in the first half, but he surely didn't play like crap.  He also ended the game with zero turnovers.

« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2018, 06:14:52 AM »
I also thought Simon did a great job of staying out of foul trouble after picking up those 2 early ones. That third wasn't a foul IMO and then had none in the second half.

Just wish we had any sort of bench....Going to be tough to win with no rest in the BE tournament...

« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2018, 07:27:46 AM »
Did not see the game, but nice to see Clark figuring things out. He's rebounds, we win. Ponds is playing the best ball in the nation right now.  Great job by Mullin on this stretch. 1 mire win and above .500

Foad

« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2018, 08:12:51 AM »

You need to stop, you sound like an 11 year old girl talking to her diary about Frankie Avalon or who ever the kids are listening to today. He's a good basketball player, he's not dreamy.

« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2018, 10:12:01 AM »
Does anyone know who that kid wearing #2 for us that hit 4-8 from three? WASJU insists that Ponds can't shoot so it couldn't be him.

Are any of you willing to say Ponds is as good as Hatten yet or so we have to keep this charade going?
No

« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2018, 10:14:39 AM »

You need to stop, you sound like an 11 year old girl talking to her diary about Frankie Avalon or who ever the kids are listening to today. He's a good basketball player, he's not dreamy.

I was thinking more like those old clips of the girls screaming and fainting at the airport for the Beatles but yeah I agree with you. Sane Marillac has gone bye bye

« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2018, 10:15:12 AM »
Imagine this team with an Orlando Sanchez or a Jusin Burrell.

« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2018, 10:36:04 AM »
Imagine this team with an Orlando Sanchez or a Jusin Burrell.

I'd take a bought in Darien Williams and under control Malik Ellison.

Foad

« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2018, 10:45:31 AM »
Does anyone know who that kid wearing #2 for us that hit 4-8 from three? WASJU insists that Ponds can't shoot so it couldn't be him.

Are any of you willing to say Ponds is as good as Hatten yet or so we have to keep this charade going?
No

Tend to agree. Ponds is a much better shooter, Hatten a much better defender. Passing and rebounding is more or less a wash. Hatten never loss ten games in a row though and the team won 20 games both of his years. OTOH Ponds is a sophomore whereas Hatten was an upperclassman. If Ponds stays four years and continues apace he's going to be a top five or six player all time. Because he's really good. If he were leave after this year he'd be remembered as a very good two year player on some pretty bad teams. Mo Harkless territory. As far as two year players go off the top of my head: (1) Berry (2) Hatten (3) Hardy (4) everyone else. Despite the record I'd put Ponds probably slightly ahead of Hardy and nipping at Hatten's heels.

pmg911

« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2018, 10:47:15 AM »
well I'm happy about the win.... but man that 3 at the buzzer by DePaul really hurt. ugghhh

You need to call your sponsor now.

Not allowed to have a little extra incentive on a game?

you think it hurt you, how do these kids feel..?

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/craziest-tiebreaker-in-sports-history-will-affect-two-new-york-high-school-basketball-teams

« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2018, 10:59:06 AM »

No

Tend to agree. Ponds is a much better shooter, Hatten a much better defender. Passing and rebounding is more or less a wash. Hatten never loss ten games in a row though and the team won 20 games both of his years. OTOH Ponds is a sophomore whereas Hatten was an upperclassman. If Ponds stays four years and continues apace he's going to be a top five or six player all time. Because he's really good. If he were leave after this year he'd be remembered as a very good two year player on some pretty bad teams. Mo Harkless territory. As far as two year players go off the top of my head: (1) Berry (2) Hatten (3) Hardy (4) everyone else. Despite the record I'd put Ponds probably slightly ahead of Hardy and nipping at Hatten's heels.

If Ponds somehow leads them to the tourney this year, all bets are off for me. Then he would move into at least a tie with Hatten. The thing with Hatten is he made the tourney and won the NIT with worse players than Ponds. Even if we finish strong and make NIT Ponds would have played same amount of  years with worse guys and not made a tourney. Which for me is the bottom line. And now Mariillac will wax poetic about Grady Reynolds, Willie Shaw and Anthony Glover. None of those guys were better than Simon, Lovett(from last year) or even Clark and Owens.

« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2018, 11:01:24 AM »

No

If Ponds somehow leads them to the tourney this year, all bets are off for me. Then he would move into at least a tie with Hatten. The thing with Hatten is he made the tourney and won the NIT with worse players than Ponds. Even if we finish strong and make NIT Ponds would have played same amount of  years with worse guys and not made a tourney. Which for me is the bottom line. And now Mariillac will wax poetic about Grady Reynolds, Willie Shaw and Anthony Glover. None of those guys were better than Simon, Lovett(from last year) or even Clark and Owens.

Meant Ponds played with better guys, than Hatten did .I can't modify

« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2018, 11:06:23 AM »

No

Shaw was good freshmen year. Thought his potential was really high. Instead he was just really high.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2018, 11:20:40 AM »

No

Shaw was good freshmen year. Thought his potential was really high. Instead he was just really high.

That was with Cook though. Which weed issue aside probably had a lot to do with Shaw having a good year. Was stupid for him to leave early but I think people forget how good Cook was. He had to be best player and scorer and a team when that really wasn't who he was.