LoVett Done For Season

• 181 replies

Poison

Re: LoVett Done For Season
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2018, 11:08:36 AM »
Cant blame Mullin for taking a chance on the kid. Its not like we had better options. Let's not forget this was a Lavin recruit.

Why is this board so certain that LoVett is the problem here? If this was the Mets, and we were talking about Steven Matz would his injuries be his fault? Or would fans accept them as nothing more than bad luck?

It’s his knee. If he says it hurts why don’t we believe him?

The staff may feel like Lovett (incorrectly) let them down, and quite frankly, they have some nerve to have that attitude. It’s their own damn fault that the team has no bench in year 3.

pmg911

« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2018, 11:24:57 AM »
Cant blame Mullin for taking a chance on the kid. Its not like we had better options. Let's not forget this was a Lavin recruit.

Why is this board so certain that LoVett is the problem here? If this was the Mets, and we were talking about Steven Matz would his injuries be his fault? Or would fans accept them as nothing more than bad luck?

The staff may feel like Lovett (incorrectly) let them down, and quite frankly, they have some nerve to have that attitude. It’s their own damn fault that the team has no bench in year 3.

I don't believe him because he is not even trying to test it and let the medical staff evaluate after trying to play.

As for the comparing this to the Mets, its ridiculous. Matz, (your example) is a professional and gets paid by the Mets to do a job. SJU has no means to evaluate the player if he is refusing to try and play.

desco80

« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2018, 11:27:30 AM »

Zach B said the doctors cleared him a month ago. 

cjfish

« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2018, 11:32:21 AM »
This team's fans suck.

If a kid on scholarship is hurt, you can't pull his scholarship because he gets hurt.

And I'm certain that one, if not both, of the Hurleys would have prevented LoVett from hurting his knee in the first place.

Do the Hurleys have a special relationship with God that they could have prevented a knee injury. :)  No pro team is going to offer a fragile midget who cant toughen up and play with what is apparently a minor injury which seems substantially cured.  What happened to a player playing hurt?  If he had any team spirit he would play and rest or operate on  his fragile body offseason.  He may be back next year because the offers will not be coming.   F...ing Philly Pussy with no chutzpah, the antithesis of a mensch.     

« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2018, 11:32:44 AM »
So not to start a rumor but I was trying to connect my own dots on why Marcus wasn't playing and was beginning to think it might have been grades. Timing of his injury and to when he was coming back (Start of 2nd semester). Maybe he didn't get grades he needed?

This is me trying to make sense of things. I have no factual basis for this.

Why would they blatanly lie like this?  I mean this is not semantics, this would be a complete falsehood if your theory is true.

Schools announce kids are ineligible for academics all the time.  It happens.  Why would SJU feel the need to invent an injury as opposed to telling the truth?

« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2018, 11:37:25 AM »
Well then, I guess there's only one thing left to do.

Win the whole effin thing.

cjfish

« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2018, 11:49:32 AM »
Guess I'll have to be a Villanova fan for the rest of this year in order to battle my hoopwatching depression :tickedoff:

QuanMan

« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2018, 12:29:51 PM »

It is absolutely a fundamental mistake that the staff elected to recruit for next year and risked this year's roster having no fat whatsoever. This team couldn't withstand one injury, how is that acceptable in Year3. We as diehards can comb through the depth chart, and understand the staff's idea of scholarship balance. But you're telling me that they couldn't recruit a grad transfer, Duane Wilson type for this year for insurance purposes instead of Sid Wilson? Give me a break. The public eye, common college basketball fan doesn't understand these details. They see a failing program in Year3 and that perception is what matters most.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 12:31:37 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2018, 01:30:27 PM »
I think it is clear what happened.  The kid's knee doesn't feel right to him, and he, his Dad and whoever else is involved decided it was best to not risk further injury and get healthy for when he tries to get a pro contract later this year.  Regardless of where you think he'll play overseas or what type of money he might get that is what happened.

paultzman

« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2018, 01:52:53 PM »
I think it is clear what happened.  The kid's knee doesn't feel right to him, and he, his Dad and whoever else is involved decided it was best to not risk further injury and get healthy for when he tries to get a pro contract later this year.  Regardless of where you think he'll play overseas or what type of money he might get that is what happened.

Yup

desco80

« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2018, 10:28:26 PM »
Was he ever cleared by doctors though.  That's the key to me.    If Lovett (and his dad) believe there's still something wrong, that's different than if hes recoveree but sitting out to protect himself for pro tryouts in June. 

« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2018, 11:53:21 PM »
I'm new to these boards and just want to give my take on this situation:

I was always a big fan of LoVett and his game, but he has lost just about all respect from me. Although I respect his decision on what he feels is best for him and his family, to drag this process out as long as he did, and then for his dad to announce the decision without informing the team first was certainly the wrong way of going about it. To not even test the knee out in a practice is not a good look. The way the school fought for him when he was ineligible, he certainly didn't return the favor. Now if he is truly does have pain, then its a different situation. But by all accounts, that doesn't appear to be the case, especially if doctors cleared him multiple times. And if in his mind any minor injury he sustained was going to scare him off from playing, then he should have just went overseas last year and not bothered returning.

Anyway, that's just my take. Looking forward to talking St. John's basketball with you guys! Just have to keep believing this will turn around sooner rather than later.

Marillac

« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2018, 12:43:29 AM »

It's a sprained knee man. Who on these boards hasn't played through that? Put on a brace some tape and a compression sleeve and you are fine. The doctors cleared him a month ago.

The issue is clear. His daddy calls the shots and does him no favors. He's been to 85 high schools and couldn't even get himself cleared to play as a 19 year old freshman. Do you know how easy it is for a normal kid with two parents to achieve the minimum standards of the NCAA?

His dad acts like he's Christian McCaffrey being held out of a bowl game after his team was eliminated from championship consideration to preserve draftability. This kid has no shot at playing in the NBA high level international ball. He has no resume to market to fans. I hope his bags are packed, he's not around the team anymore, and he's been notified that his scholarship will be filled by a team-first player. He can't make the 3 hour charter bus ride to Mohegan Sun 5 weeks after spraining his knee? Complete bs.

pmg911

« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2018, 08:21:56 AM »
If he didn't have structural damage and has had another month to heal even move after doctors said it was ok to test it out, something is fishy.

You would think the family might go get a second opinion or something.

There is something to this story that we are all missing, just don't know what it is.

desco80

« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2018, 09:05:16 AM »
Agree with PMG's comment above.   

jr49

« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2018, 01:40:56 PM »
Is ML off the team, out of class,and done with SJU?

« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2018, 02:29:39 PM »
Zach Braziller‏Verified account
@NYPost_Brazille
Follow Follow @NYPost_Brazille
More
St John’s will honor Marcus LoVett’s scholarship. He will remain with program and rehab his knee as long as he wants to this year. Beyond that, future is uncertain. #sjubb

« Reply #117 on: January 12, 2018, 02:44:56 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille
More
St John’s will honor Marcus LoVett’s scholarship. He will remain with program and rehab his knee as long as he wants to this year. Beyond that, future is uncertain. #sjubb

It's not like they can do anything with the scholarship right now anyway.  So, we may as well honor it.  But, once the season is over, I think both parties will part.

jr49

« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2018, 02:49:24 PM »
Thanks, Heard here that he only wants to go back to Philly. If so that kinda leaves the classroom out.
@NYPost_Brazille
More

Moose

« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2018, 11:40:02 AM »
Lovett falls into Abe Keita category for me now. Second most hated Johnny of all-time.

Nuri Lindsey says hi
Remember who broke the Slice news