LoVett Done For Season

• 181 replies

goredmen

Re: LoVett Done For Season
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2018, 08:05:15 PM »
SJU press release

QUEENS, N.Y. (Jan. 10, 2018) – The St. John’s men’s basketball program has announced that sophomore guard Marcus LoVett will miss the remainder of the 2017-18 campaign due to a left knee injury that he suffered in late November. Team physicians made the decision to sideline LoVett on Wednesday to focus on his rehabilitation, as he was not able to progress to on-court basketball activities.

“Marcus has a bright future ahead, so while it is disappointing that he will miss the remainder of the season, his long term health is the primary focus,” said St. John’s head coach Chris Mullin.

LoVett started all seven of his appearances this season and averaged 14.9 points per game. The Preseason Second Team All-BIG EAST selection dished out 12 assists and recorded 15 steals playing 32.7 minutes per contest.

So they are flat out lying in the release when they say team physicians made the decision

paultzman

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2018, 08:09:32 PM »
SJU press release

QUEENS, N.Y. (Jan. 10, 2018) – The St. John’s men’s basketball program has announced that sophomore guard Marcus LoVett will miss the remainder of the 2017-18 campaign due to a left knee injury that he suffered in late November. Team physicians made the decision to sideline LoVett on Wednesday to focus on his rehabilitation, as he was not able to progress to on-court basketball activities.

“Marcus has a bright future ahead, so while it is disappointing that he will miss the remainder of the season, his long term health is the primary focus,” said St. John’s head coach Chris Mullin.

LoVett started all seven of his appearances this season and averaged 14.9 points per game. The Preseason Second Team All-BIG EAST selection dished out 12 assists and recorded 15 steals playing 32.7 minutes per contest.

So they are flat out lying in the release when they say team physicians made the decision

Had same reaction. Puzzling saga.

desco80

« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2018, 08:10:40 PM »
Didn't Zach say he was cleared weeks ago?   Which is it?

QuanMan

« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2018, 08:19:27 PM »
How does Matt fill the scholarship?  I haven't looked, but most of the 4* and 5* are gone by now.  Might find a 3*.  Does SJU grab a 5th year guy?  any transfer would have to sit out which would mean the kid we grabbed from Sacred Heart would play a lot of minutes next year. 

Man, is sucks to be a fan of this team...
How does Matt fill the scholarship?  I haven't looked, but most of the 4* and 5* are gone by now.  Might find a 3*.  Does SJU grab a 5th year guy?  any transfer would have to sit out which would mean the kid we grabbed from Sacred Heart would play a lot of minutes next year. 

Easy:  Markquis Nowell.   https://youtu.be/sVXv1VEKJjc

Give him 15 mpg at point and bring some structure to the team.

I see you finally started listening to me Marillac. Alan Griffin out of Stepinac is a thought. Hyatt is another viable option should he decide to become 2018, hopefully Abs didn't burn his bridge by stopping his recruitment. Or perhaps.....Jordan Brown? One can wish. Dare I mention Jahvon Quinerly? Lol just kidding. We seriously have a hole at the 3 once Bash graduates, need to fill it with a capable immediate scorer.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:27:41 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2018, 08:45:57 PM »

I'm so tired of this "only recruit New York City kids" attitude a lot of the older fans have. Mullin stinks as a coach.  You really think in a season where he should be canned if we don't win 19+ games that it would be a good idea to give 15 mins to a freshman ranked in the 250s? When you have a guy who can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag you need to counter that by bringing in the most talented players possible. I don't care if he comes from Zimbabwe, fill Lovetts scholarship with the most talented point guard you can possibly get.

First of all, I've never been a recruit NYC guy. Get the best talent wherever it comes from. Second, this kid is a killer. He's not the type of talent Lovett is, but he'll suit up and compete every game and won't let his daddy make his decisions for him. Do you want to throw away a season with Ponds and Simon as juniors because we don't have have a kid we can hand the ball off to for taking the pressure off Ponds and setting up our shooters? I'm tired of this positionless crap. It works when guys are great, but we have to be good first. This team needs structure. Why look further than NYC when we produce 5 pgs a year that can help us?
Sorry, I didn't mean to single you out with the only NYC comment. Just seemed to be the type of comment that would come up a lot during the previous regime and I always hated hearing it.  100% agree with your positionless comment.  I want a real true pg who will create for others.  I'd personally like taller pgs ala Rysheed or Shawn Livingston instead of what nowell appears to be. Disagree with your killer label based solely on his ranking by recruiting services. I don't think a kid that poorly thought of can be expected to seriously contribute as a frosh.

« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2018, 10:46:41 PM »
So not to start a rumor but I was trying to connect my own dots on why Marcus wasn't playing and was beginning to think it might have been grades. Timing of his injury and to when he was coming back (Start of 2nd semester). Maybe he didn't get grades he needed?

This is me trying to make sense of things. I have no factual basis for this.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2018, 10:50:32 PM »
So not to start a rumor but I was trying to connect my own dots on why Marcus wasn't playing and was beginning to think it might have been grades. Timing of his injury and to when he was coming back (Start of 2nd semester). Maybe he didn't get grades he needed?

I was thinking the same thing at one point but that no longer makes sense with how this has played out over the past couple of days.

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2018, 10:57:43 PM »
This program is a joke. Time to cut ties with this joke of a coach and get a real coach.

Since Louie left we have had losing, bad Boston accents, swimmer assaults, paying terrible players, trains on skanks, losing, Norm, losing, losing, losing, best player suspension, Rysheed's Philly trips, losing, transfers and now the worst diagnosis since that doctor in Jaws got pressured into calling Chrissie Watkins being eaten a boating accident.

And those are the highlights.

SJUFAN

« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2018, 11:46:27 PM »
Cant blame Mullin for taking a chance on the kid. Its not like we had better options. Let's not forget this was a Lavin recruit.

« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2018, 12:03:37 AM »
Yeah, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. But clearly, he's soft and selfish. Good luck playing in the B league in Europe.

« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2018, 12:04:57 AM »
SJU press release

Probably more strategic for the program to lie so they seem loyal to the player and underplay the drama. I'm sure Mullin and co. is furious.

« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2018, 12:13:58 AM »
I'm speechless.

« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2018, 01:23:02 AM »
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 01:23:25 AM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2018, 01:25:22 AM »
I'm speechless.
You can't speak on these boards you can only write.  ::)

« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2018, 07:21:17 AM »

It looks like the staff is not recruiting him.

paultzman

« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2018, 07:56:06 AM »

It looks like the staff is not recruiting him.
Correct

« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2018, 09:39:48 AM »
SJU press release

Probably more strategic for the program to lie so they seem loyal to the player and underplay the drama. I'm sure Mullin and co. is furious.

Exactly

ras

« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2018, 10:15:54 AM »

Than why did Mullin say he was going to practice?

pmg911

« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2018, 10:28:40 AM »
I have no scoop but I would have to think the staff will tell the kid to seek another program for next year. If he wouldn't even try to test the knee, not sure why the program would even want him around for next year.

With only 7 games played this year, he can probably get medical redshirt and fight to get cleared to play immediately next year.

I thought it was interesting that if the kid can't play due to injury that the school didn't immediately say it would be seeking a medical redshirt for the year.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:35:57 AM by pmg911 »

« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2018, 10:34:31 AM »
I have no scoop but I would have to think the staff will tell the kid to seek another program for next year. If he wouldn't even try to test the knee, not sure why the program would even want him around for next year.

With only 7 games played this year, he can probably get medical redshirt and fight get cleared to play immediately next year.

I thought it was interesting that if the kid can't play due to injury that the school didn't immediately say it would be seeking a medical redshirt for the year.

Would bet that he is leaving school and turns up in Europe shortly.