Shamorie Ponds NBA Potential

• 106 replies

johnniesfilmmaker

• Aspiring filmmaker
    • Through the Viewfinder
Re: Shamorie Ponds NBA Potential
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2018, 01:03:09 PM »
Ponds is not worthy of a lottery pick or even a 1st round pick this year, but to think he can't develop into a lottery pick is so unfair to him. He needs to get stronger at getting to the basket? He gets to the basket with EASE right now against some top level teams. Look at the contact he took on the shot against Duke where he absorbed the hit and fixed the shot in mid-air to finish. He's also a very solid off the dribble three point shooter. He needs to do better at catching and shooting.

Ponds shot 37% from three last season on 6 attempts per game but people want to focus on a 17-game span and tell me he's not a good outside shooter?  Since the Villanova game, Ponds is shooting 37% in the last six games. So couldn't that 17-game span be more easily tossed up to a sophomore slump/fatigue/more focus on him?

Here is Pond's sophomore season where his minutes and usage rate can be similarly compared to Kemba Walker's in his junior year.

Ponds: 36.2 mpg, 40% from the field on 17 attempts, 50% from 2 on 11 attempts, 23% from 3 on 6 attempts, 83% from the line on 5 attempts, 5 rebounds 4.7 assists, 2.6 stl, 2.4 TO, and 20.3 points with a true shooting % of 50%, an effective field goal percentage of 44%, a 28.6 assist %, a 10.5 turnover %, with a usage rate of 30.9%

Walker: 37.6 mpg, 43% from the field on 18 attempts, 47% from 2 on 12 attempts, 33% from 3 on 5 attempts, 81% from the line on almost 8 attempts, 5 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 1.9 stl, 2.3 TO, and 23.5 pts with a true shooting % of 54%, an effective field goal percentage of 48%, a 28% assist percentage, a 9.5 turnover %, and 32.4% usage rate.

Ponds is very close as a sophomore to where Kemba Walker was as a junior and Kemba had a  freshman Jeremy Lamb and Shabazz Napier on his team. With those two, Kemba dragged UCONN to a mystifying Big East and National Title. Ponds with maybe only Simon as only other potential NBA player has dragged SJU to some very tight games despite far inferior talent. Ponds, I believe, is a better passer and scorer than Kemba was at the same stage in their careers.

It's all about how he develops this offseason. If he develops the ability to catch and shoot the 3, I believe he should be around 40% from 3 and if he can do a better job of drawing contact and getting to the line, I think his FG% could be above 45% with a 25 points per game average. I think if Simon can develop as a shooter and the improved interior play, Ponds will average 6 assists per game next year.

People want to complain about Ponds' D but I personally think it's game planning. Ponds is arguably our 3rd best rebounder so we made him sag off his man last year and this year to get him closer to rebounds. But even more so, our biggest game plan on defense is doubling the post to force turnovers. This means that Ponds has to leave his man and Ahmed or Simon either have to play help D at the 3 point line. This has lead to our league worst 3pt defense and the idea that Ponds is not a good defender.

With bigs that can actually play defense, he should be able to stick on his man more. I agree there are flaws in his game defensively, he does ball watch a little too much and he could be more engaged (although I'm sure they are telling him not to so he can save energy for offense). If Ponds can just play better team defense (which I think he will since he won't be asked to double the post so much next year), and develop as a catch and shoot guy as well as learning to create more contact when driving, I see no reason why he can't be Kemba Walker.

If he improves in those 3 very improvable areas, and he enters the draft next season, he'll have an almost identical scouting report to Kemba.

Great ability to get to the basket, good shooter, good passer, good playmaker, good rebounder. 6'1" 175/180lbs, Walker was born in May, Ponds was born in June, need to get better defensively.

Right now he's projected as the 56th pick in the 2019 Draft according to NBADraft.net and that hasn't been updated for the Duke game. I think he rises to 50th after that performance and could get to 35-40 by season's end.

« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2018, 02:18:01 PM »
If his recent games shooting percentages continues he's quite the live prospect.

I'm getting nervous.

« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2018, 02:49:14 PM »
If his recent games shooting percentages continues he's quite the live prospect.

I'm getting nervous.
Coincidentally  heard today that there are NBA scouts that will be at our practice to observe Mr. Ponds.

« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2018, 02:49:22 PM »
This will be a great thread to look back on.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2018, 03:11:48 PM »

Seems like NBA fazing out the little scoring point guards. I think he can play the point and is an underrated passer. These things are cyclical and I think 5 -10 years ago he would have had a better shot. Defensively next level would be a huge problem for him. I think if he can show he is really a point, can be at least a willing defender and can knock down his jumpers more consistently, I can see him sneaking into back end of 1st round next year or year after.

Marillac

« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2018, 03:12:28 PM »
The people who say he can't shoot are insane and their understanding of basketball will be exposed very soon. Not only is he not a bad shooter, he's a great shooter. The kid shot 37.5% from 3 as a freshman with more than SIX attempts. 4 of those were hurried, off the bounce, or heavily contested. This year nearly of all his shots are of that variety. Do you guys really think Marvin Clark is a better shooter? No. He takes only set shots and has his dinner set up for him. Ponds doesn't have that luxury. Look how close teams still play him on the perimeter!

His shot is crazy fast and his release is as our as it gets. Wait until this kid has gets 4 set shots a game next year from Brooks inside-out and other guards setting him up.

« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2018, 03:35:09 PM »

Seems like NBA fazing out the little scoring point guards. I think he can play the point and is an underrated passer. These things are cyclical and I think 5 -10 years ago he would have had a better shot. Defensively next level would be a huge problem for him. I think if he can show he is really a point, can be at least a willing defender and can knock down his jumpers more consistently, I can see him sneaking into back end of 1st round next year or year after.

There’s a shit ton of guards getting big minutes in the nba who are 6’1 and under.

« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2018, 04:03:30 PM »

There’s a shit ton of guards getting big minutes in the nba who are 6’1 and under.

A ton?
Kemba, Paul and Isaiah Thomas are exceptions. I think Bledsoe is under 6-2. There maybe a some backup Point guards under 6-2 but not a lot. NBA is going with bigger points now. Heck I wish Burke would play over French kid and only reason he isn't is because he is 6 foot.
Again I like Ponds and it is just my opinion for him at next level. As I have said before what they do at next level has no bearing on what I think of them while they are here.

« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2018, 04:47:42 PM »
Here wasju, list Is long enough that I won’t quote previous posts.
All guys getting quality minutes:
Christ Paul
Kyle Lowry
Kemba Walter
Erik Bledsoe
Mike Conley
Patty mills
Tony Parker
Rajon rondo
Jameer Nelson
Isaiah Thomas
Raymond Felton
Tyler Ulis
Frank mason III
Fred van fleet
Yogi farrell
Shabazz Napier
DJ Augustine
Isaiah Canaan
JJ Barea
Patrick Beverly
Lou Williams
Ish Smith
Mike smith

Plus
Trey Burke
Shane Larkin
Aaron brooks
Ty Lawson.

« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2018, 05:07:14 PM »
Christ Paul
Kyle Lowry
Kemba Walter
Erik Bledsoe
Mike Conley
Patty mills
Tony Parker
Rajon rondo
Jameer Nelson
Isaiah Thomas
Raymond Felton
Tyler Ulis
Frank mason III
Fred van fleet
Yogi farrell
Shabazz Napier
DJ Augustine
Isaiah Canaan
JJ Barea
Patrick Beverly
Lou Williams
Ish Smith
Mike smith

Plus
Trey Burke
Shane Larkin
Aaron brooks
Ty Lawson.

There is no way Nelson and Brooks are still in the NBA. And Larkin and Felton shouldn't be. Some of those guys are hurt and I am pretty sure you made some of thos other guys up. But if you look at every team most of the starting point guards are 6-4 at least. That is the way it is trending. And I have said I would not be shocked to see Ponds on an NBA team one day.  I just don't see him being a rotation NBA player at this point. And I do not like his jumper. Inside the arc and shooting off the dribble inside the arc I have confidence in him.

« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2018, 05:10:07 PM »
Christ Paul
Kyle Lowry
Kemba Walter
Erik Bledsoe
Mike Conley
Patty mills
Tony Parker
Rajon rondo
Jameer Nelson
Isaiah Thomas
Raymond Felton
Tyler Ulis
Frank mason III
Fred van fleet
Yogi farrell
Shabazz Napier
DJ Augustine
Isaiah Canaan
JJ Barea
Patrick Beverly
Lou Williams
Ish Smith
Mike smith

Plus
Trey Burke
Shane Larkin
Aaron brooks
Ty Lawson.

There is no way Nelson and Brooks are still in the NBA. And Larkin and Felton shouldn't be. Some of those guys are hurt and I am pretty sure you made some of thos other guys up. But if you look at every team most of the starting point guards are 6-4 at least. That is the way it is trending. And I have said I would not be shocked to see Ponds on an NBA team one day.  I just don't see him being a rotation NBA player at this point. And I do not like his jumper. Inside the arc and shooting off the dribble inside the arc I have confidence in him.

Lol really man? It’s ok to say you were right.

johnniesfilmmaker

• Aspiring filmmaker
    • Through the Viewfinder
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2018, 09:30:56 AM »
This post went up before the Butler game. Since that game, Ponds is averaging 32 points, 5 assists, 3 steals, 5 rebounds, and 4 turnovers (if he can bring that down by 2 and add another assist or two? Holy cow) while shooting 56% from the field, almost 49% from three, and 87% from the free throw line. Think about that, in the past 5 games, he's almost averaging a 60/50/90 shooting line which has never been achieved for a full season before.

Now I know this could be just a crazy hot streak and those numbers should come back to earth a little bit. However, I just want to give credit to all those who saw his potential and saw the beast lurking within Ponds like myself. I also said he could get to the 35-40 range of the 2019 mock draft by season's end...he's now at 34. I actually think if he keeps this up, he could get to the 20-25 range. If he can get stronger (get to about 185lbs) and really work on his playmaking abilities (they are there) there's no reason why he can't be a lottery pick next year and go in the 12-17 range.

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2018, 01:39:31 PM »
This post went up before the Butler game. Since that game, Ponds is averaging 32 points, 5 assists, 3 steals, 5 rebounds, and 4 turnovers (if he can bring that down by 2 and add another assist or two? Holy cow) while shooting 56% from the field, almost 49% from three, and 87% from the free throw line. Think about that, in the past 5 games, he's almost averaging a 60/50/90 shooting line which has never been achieved for a full season before.

Now I know this could be just a crazy hot streak and those numbers should come back to earth a little bit. However, I just want to give credit to all those who saw his potential and saw the beast lurking within Ponds like myself. I also said he could get to the 35-40 range of the 2019 mock draft by season's end...he's now at 34. I actually think if he keeps this up, he could get to the 20-25 range. If he can get stronger (get to about 185lbs) and really work on his playmaking abilities (they are there) there's no reason why he can't be a lottery pick next year and go in the 12-17 range.
Johnniesfilmmaker     so you want to give credit to yourself. LOL Why not just give yourself some Academy Awards while your at it?

johnniesfilmmaker

• Aspiring filmmaker
    • Through the Viewfinder
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2018, 02:23:06 PM »

Johnniesfilmmaker     so you want to give credit to yourself. LOL Why not just give yourself some Academy Awards while your at it?

Check my basement. It's littered with fake Oscars.

Marillac

« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2018, 03:15:47 PM »

You'll have to take a backseat to Marillac on this one, Junior. I've been talking  about his NBA potential since before he played a game and have taken quite a bit of heat.

« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2018, 03:24:11 PM »

You'll have to take a backseat to Marillac on this one, Junior. I've been talking  about his NBA potential since before he played a game and have taken quite a bit of heat.

Hopefully he is not taking advice from you. Another year if he plays well and cleans some things up I think he could be a late 1st round pick. If he leaves after this year, well.....
http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft 

« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2018, 03:26:39 PM »
http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft
For 2019 they have him going at end of 2nd BTW. I disagree with that.

Marillac

« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2018, 04:09:03 PM »

Hopefully he is not taking advice from you. Another year if he plays well and cleans some things up I think he could be a late 1st round pick. If he leaves after this year, well.....

Lol WASJU now predicting Ponds to be a first round pick?! Marillac with a resounding victory. If only you could admit you were wrong once instead of falling back on reevaluating his play and adjusting your opinion. That's another way of saying "he was better than I thought and I was wrong." 

« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2018, 04:19:22 PM »

Lol WASJU now predicting Ponds to be a first round pick?! Marillac with a resounding victory. If only you could admit you were wrong once instead of falling back on reevaluating his play and adjusting your opinion. That's another way of saying "he was better than I thought and I was wrong." 

Ponds is great. Don't love his outside shot. And as I said numerous times whatever a guy does or doesn't do once he leaves here has no bearing on what I thought of him when he was here.
If he stays, yes I think he could get drafted at back end of 1st round. I think would be a huge mistake to leave this year because he may not get drafted at all. 

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2018, 05:07:19 PM »
http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft
For 2019 they have him going at end of 2nd BTW. I disagree with that.

These types of non-sanctioned sites are questionable...

Checked the "About" section and it doesn't even state who runs the site, how many scouts etc... 

he NBADraft.net Mock Draft is a year round, continuously updated projection of the NBA Draft.
While the NBA season is going on, the teams are projected in reverse order of record. Once the NBA season ends, the order of the teams from 15-60 are in place. After the draft lottery each May, the official order of the draft is set.
Individual team needs are not factored into the mock draft until after the NBA season ends. NBADraft.net has been projecting the NBA draft since 2000.
Our projections are based on the opinions of the scouts that work for NBADraft.net, in conjunction with the NBA and International scouts that we speak with.
Contact Us: info@nbadraft.net