2 year plan...

• 165 replies
Re: 2 year plan...
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2018, 10:24:29 AM »
I do not mind that there is a 2 year plan, only IF there are some drastic changes to the staff.  No changes, and the school could do a 50 year plan, it will not make a difference without the right people leading the team.  SJU got themselves into this mess, now for once, lets see if they can get themselves out of it.

TONYD3

« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2018, 10:24:47 AM »
Part of the 2 year plan was to win some games this year. 2 weeks later that can’t be scraped completely. Giving him complete authority over the program needs to end also. Coaching changes (plural) are not suggestive but mandatory.

« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2018, 11:27:10 AM »
I do not mind that there is a 2 year plan, only IF there are some drastic changes to the staff.  No changes, and the school could do a 50 year plan, it will not make a difference without the right people leading the team.  SJU got themselves into this mess, now for once, lets see if they can get themselves out of it.

Ultimately how he does it is not important to me as the fact that it happens.  Because major changes or not if we are sitting here on 2/1/19 asking the same questions he is in trouble...

« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2018, 11:38:24 AM »
If Mullin does not make drastic changes, there will be no more questions from fans a year from now, even the most Mullin homers will have already given up.

« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2018, 09:58:54 PM »
Maybe, just maybe the 2 year plan got an early start today...

TONYD3

« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2018, 10:02:57 PM »

We beat duke. Nothing negative from me. Tough game Wednesday. Season back on. Big game Saturday.

« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2018, 10:14:55 PM »
I found it interesting today to hear that Mullin is only coach at sju to not report to ad, but to president of school. If that is true, it will be on Mullin to make changes on his own with no pressure from anyone with a true knowledge of cbb landscape.

« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2018, 10:27:38 PM »
I found it interesting today to hear that Mullin is only coach at sju to not report to ad, but to president of school. If that is true, it will be on Mullin to make changes on his own with no pressure from anyone with a true knowledge of cbb landscape.
Does he have the power and authority to fire himself if need be? Just joking don't all the lovers get your panties in a bunch!  ;) :)

« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2018, 09:21:31 AM »

Again the plan was to try to end this season with some momentum and carry that into next year where they believe the roster and potential staff change will yield much better results.  And then really strike some top talent in 2019 and make another jump in 2019-20 to where they think they can compete over an 18 game schedule with Nova.  I'll admit I was not 100% convinced it would happen but no question this past week has given me and others confidence that not only is this plan not far fetched but in fact completely realistic.

Foad

« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2018, 09:43:29 AM »
I'll admit I was not 100% convinced it would happen but no question this past week has given me and others confidence that not only is this plan not far fetched but in fact completely realistic.

Hmm. To the untrained ear it sounds like you're giving him the benefit of the doubt.

« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2018, 11:15:30 AM »

Again the plan was to try to end this season with some momentum and carry that into next year where they believe the roster and potential staff change will yield much better results.  And then really strike some top talent in 2019 and make another jump in 2019-20 to where they think they can compete over an 18 game schedule with Nova.  I'll admit I was not 100% convinced it would happen but no question this past week has given me and others confidence that not only is this plan not far fetched but in fact completely realistic.

At first, I thought this "2 year plan" was nothing more than the university doing some kind of PR stunt, while internally thinking "we can get 2 more years, just so the buyout will be cheaper".  However after these two wins, I am fully on board with a 2 year plan, and if Mullin shakes up staff with qualified coaches, this jump to upper big east is going to happen overnight.

tnice

« Reply #111 on: February 08, 2018, 01:42:54 PM »

At first, I thought this "2 year plan" was nothing more than the university doing some kind of PR stunt, while internally thinking "we can get 2 more years, just so the buyout will be cheaper".  However after these two wins, I am fully on board with a 2 year plan, and if Mullin shakes up staff with qualified coaches, this jump to upper big east is going to happen overnight.

With all due respect (and nothing against the poster who reported on the two year plan), "Do as well as we can the rest of this year, build on that next year and recruit some good players in the next recruiting year" is pretty much the two year plan of every team in the country. This isnt exactly reinventing the wheel. Still good to see that the plan, even it it is Program Building 101, looks like its being executed.

The only real variable in the plan is whether or not they shake up the staff, which ironically wiil become more difficult if they end the season on a tear. Fingers crossed that the need for an experienced coach isnt obscured by a few late season wins. Hell, fingers crossed that we win a bunch of games and have that problem in the first place.

« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2018, 06:28:42 PM »

Compete with Villanova? Big deal, they suck. They just lost to an 0-11 last place in the conference team at home. LOL

Marillac

« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2018, 08:51:04 PM »

Let's get this straight, you think beating Duke and Nova was part of your arbitrary two year plan? If it was that easy they would have planned to win the other 11 conference games too.

Perhaps they are closer to competing than you gave them credit for? Perhaps they are better off playing 6-7 guys all year as teams start to go with shorter rotations? Maybe they realized the 8-10 pts they were losing by playing AA was less than the number of points they were losing by? And maybe they just finally learned how to survive without Lovett?

This was never a two year plan. This was about finding a way to keep the game close so Ponds could have a chance to win it. They are thinking about the next game, not next year.

« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2018, 11:14:32 PM »

Let's get this straight, you think beating Duke and Nova was part of your arbitrary two year plan? If it was that easy they would have planned to win the other 11 conference games too.

Perhaps they are closer to competing than you gave them credit for? Perhaps they are better off playing 6-7 guys all year as teams start to go with shorter rotations? Maybe they realized the 8-10 pts they were losing by playing AA was less than the number of points they were losing by? And maybe they just finally learned how to survive without Lovett?

This was never a two year plan. This was about finding a way to keep the game close so Ponds could have a chance to win it. They are thinking about the next game, not next year.

Probably both.

« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2018, 02:24:26 PM »

What are you talking g about???

Marillac

« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2018, 09:44:14 PM »

Your two year plan is one of the most assanine things ever posted in this forum. The players and the staff want to win now. The staff wants to get the best players possible. Two year plans are for brand new hires.

wpc77

« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2018, 10:08:41 PM »

Your two year plan is one of the most assanine things ever posted in this forum. The players and the staff want to win now. The staff wants to get the best players possible. Two year plans are for brand new hires.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Fordham just reporting back what someone close to the program told him was the new outlook as of January 23rd? Also, what's an assanine?

Marillac

« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2018, 10:23:17 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Fordham just reporting back what someone close to the program told him was the new outlook as of January 23rd? Also, what's an assanine?
*asinine. Sorry I was posting one handed on lowest brightness setting on phone while laying next to my son until he was safely asleep.

I don't care where Fordham purports to get his info. The only staffs with two year plans are brand new hires. When you have Shamorie Ponds you try to win right away. We would be right where we should be if Lovett didn't get hurt and/or they had a capable 3* PG.

« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2018, 09:31:58 AM »

*asinine. Sorry I was posting one handed on lowest brightness setting on phone while laying next to my son until he was safely asleep.

I don't care where Fordham purports to get his info. The only staffs with two year plans are brand new hires. When you have Shamorie Ponds you try to win right away. We would be right where we should be if Lovett didn't get hurt and/or they had a capable 3* PG.

2 year plan was because at 10-13 this year became a throwaway and next year he needed to show progress. Basically just giving Mullin an out for this year because no matter what he wasn't getting fired. That was just common sense.

As far as point guard that is not one of our problems. I like Ponds and Simon sharing point guard duties. And Ponds needs to show he can really play the point to improve his draft status. Hopefully that is the reason he decides to stay another year. If he can continue to his some outside shots and show he can play point at the next level (I think he can) then he can sneak into back end of draft next year.

What this team needs is another guy who can knock down shots, someone that can get us an easy basket down low and really just 3 more BE quality players.