2 year plan...

• 165 replies
Re: 2 year plan...
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2018, 12:20:14 AM »
You guys do know Mike Dunlap is the head coach of Loyola Marymount,right?

Poison

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2018, 12:35:59 AM »

You’re taking to a board that doesn’t want to fire a winless coach because of nostalgia. The university won’t fire him for the same reason.

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2018, 12:47:57 AM »

You’re taking to a board that doesn’t want to fire a winless coach because of nostalgia. The university won’t fire him for the same reason.

He isn't get fired so I don't bother getting riled up about it. I will tell you this, Mullin has trusted Matt A. too much and he realizes that now. Things will change moving forward.

Marillac

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2018, 01:14:37 AM »

Probably for another 6 weeks. He's 19-43 in conference over his four seasons and he's 1-7 this year. Probably better suited for an associate head coach position where he doesn't have to recruit much. That's all Matt can do.

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2018, 09:34:13 AM »
The funny thing is everyone hates the staff except for Matt. If changes are made the guy on the staff with the least personal ties to Mullin is Matt. Chris Mullin will get fired before he fires Richmond and has ties to ST Jean's dad. IF there are changes my bet would be Matt. Hey Baldi might actually get something right. Can't wait to read the boards when it is announced that the change is Matt. Should be fun times.

TONYD3

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2018, 09:57:16 AM »
You bring in an experienced coach, st. Jean gets demoted. I don’t believe st. Jean gets demoted. Anyone want to bet an 11 dollar beer at the garden that st. Jean is still coaching this team next year?

Foad

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2018, 10:03:30 AM »
The funny thing is everyone hates the staff except for Matt. If changes are made the guy on the staff with the least personal ties to Mullin is Matt. Chris Mullin will get fired before he fires Richmond and has ties to ST Jean's dad. IF there are changes my bet would be Matt. Hey Baldi might actually get something right. Can't wait to read the boards when it is announced that the change is Matt. Should be fun times.

You fire the single recruiter - presumably the only guy on the staff who's building relationships with future classes - and bring in a different single recruiter? Hard to believe they do that unless it's a great recruiter with head coaching experience like Norm Roberts. Besides which if the Magic 8-Baldi says it's likely it's likely not likely. Richmond becoming special advisor to the head coach a la Keady, I could see that, or maybe he gets kicked upstairs to assistant AD or something. 

hnk

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2018, 10:05:56 AM »
Won't we have Slice's salary to play with soon?

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2018, 10:06:14 AM »
Unless there is some miraculous turnaround, and by that I mean a 6-12 season in conference, the whole staff under mullin will either be let go or leave for another job.  Either way, there will be big changes with staff.

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2018, 10:19:53 AM »
Matt probably to LSU. Maybe he takes Brazziller with him

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2018, 10:21:43 AM »

You fire the single recruiter - presumably the only guy on the staff who's building relationships with future classes - and bring in a different single recruiter? Hard to believe they do that unless it's a great recruiter with head coaching experience like Norm Roberts. Besides which if the Magic 8-Baldi says it's likely it's likely not likely. Richmond becoming special advisor to the head coach a la Keady, I could see that, or maybe he gets kicked upstairs to assistant AD or something. 

Yeah maybe I was just speculating and you must admit that would make for interesting times on here. But  "demoting" Richmond would almost look like he is scapegoating his friend. Your scenario would make most sense but when has that ever happened around here?
And from what has been rumored, if you bring in another guy who recruits how does that dynamic with Matt work?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 10:22:31 AM by we are sju »

TONYD3

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2018, 10:27:59 AM »
Over pay mitch Richmond to be a special advisor. Gene Keady was atleast a coach, have to assume some of his notes made sense . Now let’s pay Richmond 3/4 Times as much. Or give him a promotion to position where he has even less responsibilities but same pay.
All these ideas,all this wasted money, just so we can keep Santa Claus as coach.

Part 1- win 5/6 games this year- failure
Part 2- changes to staff- expected failure

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2018, 10:36:05 AM »
Over pay mitch Richmond to be a special advisor. Gene Keady was atleast a coach, have to assume some of his notes made sense . Now let’s pay Richmond 3/4 Times as much. Or give him a promotion to position where he has even less responsibilities but same pay.
All these ideas,all this wasted money, just so we can keep Santa Claus as coach.

Part 1- win 5/6 games this year- failure
Part 2- changes to staff- expected failure

There are valid complaints about the breakdown of the staff. Ultimately all of this mess including the actual coaching of the team falls on Chris Mullin. Personally I am not going to get all caught up in staff change until Mullin shows he can have a decent year with a full roster. Hopefully that is next year, and then we can move forward from there.

paultzman

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2018, 10:46:10 AM »

Yeah maybe I was just speculating and you must admit that would make for interesting times on here. But  "demoting" Richmond would almost look like he is scapegoating his friend. Your scenario would make most sense but when has that ever happened around here?
And from what has been rumored, if you bring in another guy who recruits how does that dynamic with Matt work?

Mullin will have to manage that dynamic as head coaches are expected to do. Most programs have 2 recruiters with big egos, but the guys making the big $$ attend to any staff conflict. Slice "stuff" aside, one would hope he would be up to it this go around.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 12:34:06 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2018, 10:52:32 AM »
How about hold Mullin accountable. He is over his head and is he smart enough to know he needs help from more qualified basketball minds. Why prolong the inevitable, cut the head off the dragon and start over. He really has to accept there is a problem before change can happen. All we hear from him is platitudes, where is the acknowledgement that he is failing and he needs help!

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2018, 10:57:30 AM »

The flaw in the great logic...+1000

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2018, 10:57:48 AM »

Mullin will have to manage that dynamic as head coaches are expected to do. Most programs have 2 recruiters with big egos, but the guys making the big $$ attend to any staff conflict. Slice "stuff" aside, one would hope he would be up to it this go around.

+10001

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2018, 10:59:28 AM »
How about hold Mullin accountable. He is over his head and is he smart enough to know he needs help from more qualified basketball minds. Why prolong the inevitable, cut the head off the dragon and start over. He really has to accept there is a problem before change can happen. All we hear from him is platitudes, where is the acknowledgement that he is failing and he needs help!

That is why it is a 2 year plan.  But point taken.

Assuming there are some changes in the off season, they better work and they better start working fast.  Why?

Because if they don't then the next question becomes, maybe it's the HC that isn't working?

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2018, 11:02:38 AM »

We are not most programs.
You want another recruiter or X and O old bench guy that everyone else wants? Unless you grab hybrid guy.
Personally I would want another recruiter. Preferably a guy who recruits HS kids every once in awhile.
Again none of this really matters if Mullin doesn't show something next year.

derk

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2018, 11:26:00 AM »
Staff needs to compliment each other. Mike rice and Dunlap would kill each other. We need to figure out how we want to play and bring in coaches who know that system. Usually the head coach has established some kind of system.
I think you have to bring in someone to work with the big men. We have to bring in guys with similar philosophies.
Cleaning house would be a good step. (Would prefer they all go) not expecting it.

IMHO the idea here is to  present to the outside world the feeling that these guys have a clue. Blowing it up would send the wrong message in that regard. The idea is to tweak the program rather then destroying it. Or do we want to open up discussion about can these guys do anything right.