2 year plan...

• 165 replies

Foad

Re: 2 year plan...
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2018, 11:51:03 AM »
you must admit that would make for interesting times on here.

It's interesting enough as it is, no?

TONYD3

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2018, 11:56:33 AM »
Staff needs to compliment each other. Mike rice and Dunlap would kill each other. We need to figure out how we want to play and bring in coaches who know that system. Usually the head coach has established some kind of system.
I think you have to bring in someone to work with the big men. We have to bring in guys with similar philosophies.
Cleaning house would be a good step. (Would prefer they all go) not expecting it.

IMHO the idea here is to  present to the outside world the feeling that these guys have a clue. Blowing it up would send the wrong message in that regard. The idea is to tweak the program rather then destroying it. Or do we want to open up discussion about can these guys do anything right.
8- almost 40 and we don’t want to give the impression that the staff is in over their heads. This staff has proven nothing but incompetence. So called Enlightened more level headed people will continue to post patience wait until next year. We have roster issues, cupards and other excuses. IMHO that is a bunch of crap.
Greg st. Jean will still be coaching this team. Mullin will still be crying to refs. We are still going to lose. Modest change = same shit.

Foad

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2018, 12:23:07 PM »
staff is in over their heads.
This staff has proven nothing but incompetence.
We have roster issues, cupards and other excuses. IMHO that is a bunch of crap.
Mullin will still be crying to refs.
We are still going to lose

If I get this same dull dreary message that you repeat every 20 minutes made into a tee shirt (gray obviously, because you're so deadly dull, printing front and back) will you wear the tee shirt and stop posting it?

paultzman

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2018, 12:27:19 PM »
The funny thing is everyone hates the staff except for Matt. If changes are made the guy on the staff with the least personal ties to Mullin is Matt. Chris Mullin will get fired before he fires Richmond and has ties to ST Jean's dad. IF there are changes my bet would be Matt. Hey Baldi might actually get something right. Can't wait to read the boards when it is announced that the change is Matt. Should be fun times.

You fire the single recruiter - presumably the only guy on the staff who's building relationships with future classes - and bring in a different single recruiter? Hard to believe they do that unless it's a great recruiter with head coaching experience like Norm Roberts. Besides which if the Magic 8-Baldi says it's likely it's likely not likely. Richmond becoming special advisor to the head coach a la Keady, I could see that, or maybe he gets kicked upstairs to assistant AD or something. 

Yeah maybe I was just speculating and you must admit that would make for interesting times on here. But  "demoting" Richmond would almost look like he is scapegoating his friend. Your scenario would make most sense but when has that ever happened around here?
And from what has been rumored, if you bring in another guy who recruits how does that dynamic with Matt work?

Mullin will have to manage that dynamic as head coaches are expected to do. Most programs have 2 recruiters with big egos, but the guys making the big $$ attend to any staff conflict. Slice "stuff" aside, one would hope he would be up to it this go around.

We are not most programs.
You want another recruiter or X and O old bench guy that everyone else wants? Unless you grab hybrid guy.
Personally I would want another recruiter. Preferably a guy who recruits HS kids every once in awhile.
Again none of this really matters if Mullin doesn't show something next year.

Hybrid

paultzman

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2018, 12:29:01 PM »

If I get this same dull dreary message that you repeat every 20 minutes made into a tee shirt (gray obviously, because you're so deadly dull, printing front and back) will you wear the tee shirt and stop posting it?

I'll buy a case in case he runs out.

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2018, 12:42:21 PM »
The funny thing is everyone hates the staff except for Matt. If changes are made the guy on the staff with the least personal ties to Mullin is Matt. Chris Mullin will get fired before he fires Richmond and has ties to ST Jean's dad. IF there are changes my bet would be Matt. Hey Baldi might actually get something right. Can't wait to read the boards when it is announced that the change is Matt. Should be fun times.

You fire the single recruiter - presumably the only guy on the staff who's building relationships with future classes - and bring in a different single recruiter? Hard to believe they do that unless it's a great recruiter with head coaching experience like Norm Roberts. Besides which if the Magic 8-Baldi says it's likely it's likely not likely. Richmond becoming special advisor to the head coach a la Keady, I could see that, or maybe he gets kicked upstairs to assistant AD or something. 

Yeah maybe I was just speculating and you must admit that would make for interesting times on here. But  "demoting" Richmond would almost look like he is scapegoating his friend. Your scenario would make most sense but when has that ever happened around here?
And from what has been rumored, if you bring in another guy who recruits how does that dynamic with Matt work?

Mullin will have to manage that dynamic as head coaches are expected to do. Most programs have 2 recruiters with big egos, but the guys making the big $$ attend to any staff conflict. Slice "stuff" aside, one would hope he would be up to it this go around.

You want another recruiter or X and O old bench guy that everyone else wants? Unless you grab hybrid guy.
Personally I would want another recruiter. Preferably a guy who recruits HS kids every once in awhile.

Hybrid

Will a difference making assistant want to attach himself to us at this point in time?
Specifically Rice. Would he want this to be his first job back?
If things don't work out next year, would be a 1 year return.

Marillac

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2018, 12:46:30 PM »
We won 8 conference games last year. The staff didn't get this bad overnight. They don't have the tools. Simply move Richmond back to advisor with the same pay and pickup a veteran coach. St. Jean is a talented kid who will only get better. I think the growth last year combined with what was supposed to be a talent infusion this year gave rhe staff a false sense of their NBA system being able to work. That vision is shattered. College kids need more structure and I think they finally get that.

Marillac

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2018, 12:49:34 PM »

Hybrid

Will a difference making assistant want to attach himself to us at this point in time?

Hell yeah! We will likely have the biggest turnaround in conference record for the entire country. Even if we are slightly disappointing. All because we patched a few holes.

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2018, 12:50:33 PM »
Staff needs to compliment each other. Mike rice and Dunlap would kill each other. We need to figure out how we want to play and bring in coaches who know that system. Usually the head coach has established some kind of system.
I think you have to bring in someone to work with the big men. We have to bring in guys with similar philosophies.
Cleaning house would be a good step. (Would prefer they all go) not expecting it.

IMHO the idea here is to  present to the outside world the feeling that these guys have a clue. Blowing it up would send the wrong message in that regard. The idea is to tweak the program rather then destroying it. Or do we want to open up discussion about can these guys do anything right.
8- almost 40 and we don’t want to give the impression that the staff is in over their heads. This staff has proven nothing but incompetence. So called Enlightened more level headed people will continue to post patience wait until next year. We have roster issues, cupards and other excuses. IMHO that is a bunch of crap.
Greg st. Jean will still be coaching this team. Mullin will still be crying to refs. We are still going to lose. Modest change = same shit.

See if you had a friend and you kept complaining the same exact complaint every 5 mins about your wife or your girlfriend, that friend would tell you I think it might be best to go your separate ways. If you complained every 5 mins about your job that same hypothetical friend would  tell you it is time to start looking for another job.
I will go ahead and take on the role of your friend here. See breaking up with your significant other or getting a new job are big life decisions. Rooting for a college basketball team should not bring anyone as much unhappiness as it brings you and in us in turn having to keep reading you complain the same complaints.
I suggest a trial separation from ST John's basketball. Good jobs are hard to find. Finding a better basketball team than ST John's is not. Hell there are 9 of them in BE alone.
Just a thought. 

paultzman

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2018, 12:54:34 PM »

Hybrid

Who knows, but worth a try. Re: Rice, in view of fact he vied for a spot and CM did not hire him, it seems likely ship has sailed. Not end of world either.

paultzman

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2018, 12:55:48 PM »
We won 8 conference games last year. The staff didn't get this bad overnight. They don't have the tools. Simply move Richmond back to advisor with the same pay and pickup a veteran coach. St. Jean is a talented kid who will only get better. I think the growth last year combined with what was supposed to be a talent infusion this year gave rhe staff a false sense of their NBA system being able to work. That vision is shattered. College kids need more structure and I think they finally get that.
+1

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2018, 01:01:41 PM »

Hybrid

Hell yeah! We will likely have the biggest turnaround in conference record for the entire country. Even if we are slightly disappointing. All because we patched a few holes.

I don't disagree though I am sure we disagree on what the "holes" are.
I expect / hope we win 17 or 18 next year.
Which would be enough for me and more importantly the school and Mullin most likely.
Others on here won't be happy with that kind of turnaround.

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2018, 01:15:14 PM »

See if you had a friend and you kept complaining the same exact complaint every 5 mins about your wife or your girlfriend, that friend would tell you I think it might be best to go your separate ways. If you complained every 5 mins about your job that same hypothetical friend would  tell you it is time to start looking for another job.
I will go ahead and take on the role of your friend here. See breaking up with your significant other or getting a new job are big life decisions. Rooting for a college basketball team should not bring anyone as much unhappiness as it brings you and in us in turn having to keep reading you complain the same complaints.
I suggest a trial separation from ST John's basketball. Good jobs are hard to find. Finding a better basketball team than ST John's is not. Hell there are 9 of them in BE alone.
Just a thought. 

Yo freaking co-sign

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2018, 01:31:43 PM »

The one thing he actually does as a coach, crying to the refs, he even sucks at. He'll cry the whole game then finally get T-ed up when we're down 3 with 2 minutes left. Guy is a disaster. Anyone who thinks otherwise is clueless as well. I just can not see any program being successful being run by a guy who is so far over his head, no matter who else is on his staff. I'd cut ties with Santa Claus immediately, but we all know that won't happen because 75% of this fan base reside in nursing homes, and get off to the memories of 1985. Sad....

Foad

« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2018, 01:55:27 PM »

Hybrid

Who knows, but worth a try. Re: Rice, in view of fact he vied for a spot and CM did not hire him, it seems likely ship has sailed. Not end of world either.

Somebody on RDC mentioned Marc Gottlieb, currently in the D league. Seems like AC might be a come down for him, and he has the stink of Lavin on him from UCLA, but that's an intriguing name.

derk

« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2018, 02:05:22 PM »
To digress for a minute, who is this poster named Jamesler. He has 3 threads on the system. Is this a virus ? Anyone ?

Foad

« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2018, 02:11:49 PM »
To digress for a minute, who is this poster named Jamesler. He has 3 threads on the system. Is this a virus ? Anyone ?

spambot

TONYD3

« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2018, 03:01:07 PM »

Sir ,
U bring up Steve Lavin every day of your life. Anytime someone wants me to trust the process I get mad. 8- certainly 40 plus

Poison

« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2018, 03:10:26 PM »

Sir ,
U bring up Steve Lavin every day of your life. Anytime someone wants me to trust the process I get mad. 8- certainly 40 plus

Mullin isn’t Foad’s guy. (He says that now. How convenient) When he was hired he certainly believed he’d get the job done because “he’s been successful” with every job he’s had. Clearly that’s not true. It wasn’t even true then.

I don’t care what’s happened, you are what your record is.

« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2018, 03:27:12 PM »

Sir ,

Mullin isn’t Foad’s guy. (He says that now. How convenient) When he was hired he certainly believed he’d get the job done because “he’s been successful” with every job he’s had. Clearly that’s not true. It wasn’t even true then.

I don’t care what’s happened, you are what your record is.

Some of you are just pissing in the wind. Who has said Mullin has done a good job? Some of us just think that he came in to a bad situation, has had some bad luck and he deserves(is getting it anyway) one year with a full roster. Most feel that there is a better shot of us being decent sooner if Mullin can succeed next year as opposed to starting yet another rebuild with all that usually entails.
I for one own up to the fact that maybe I would be less patient if the coach was Joe Schmoe, but staying patient for 4 years isn't exactly having the patience of Job.