2 year plan...

• 165 replies

TONYD3

Re: 2 year plan...
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2018, 03:55:17 PM »
staff is in over their heads.
This staff has proven nothing but incompetence.
We have roster issues, cupards and other excuses. IMHO that is a bunch of crap.
Mullin will still be crying to refs.
We are still going to lose

If I get this same dull dreary message that you repeat every 20 minutes made into a tee shirt (gray obviously, because you're so deadly dull, printing front and back) will you wear the tee shirt and stop posting it?
Sir ,
U bring up Steve Lavin every day of your life. Anytime someone wants me to trust the process I get mad. 8- certainly 40 plus

Mullin isn’t Foad’s guy. (He says that now. How convenient) When he was hired he certainly believed he’d get the job done because “he’s been successful” with every job he’s had. Clearly that’s not true. It wasn’t even true then.

I don’t care what’s happened, you are what your record is.
Foady said Mullin isn’t his guy?

« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2018, 03:59:50 PM »
We won 8 conference games last year. The staff didn't get this bad overnight. They don't have the tools. Simply move Richmond back to advisor with the same pay and pickup a veteran coach. St. Jean is a talented kid who will only get better. I think the growth last year combined with what was supposed to be a talent infusion this year gave rhe staff a false sense of their NBA system being able to work. That vision is shattered. College kids need more structure and I think they finally get that.
The funny thing is everyone hates the staff except for Matt. If changes are made the guy on the staff with the least personal ties to Mullin is Matt. Chris Mullin will get fired before he fires Richmond and has ties to ST Jean's dad. IF there are changes my bet would be Matt. Hey Baldi might actually get something right. Can't wait to read the boards when it is announced that the change is Matt. Should be fun times.

You fire the single recruiter - presumably the only guy on the staff who's building relationships with future classes - and bring in a different single recruiter? Hard to believe they do that unless it's a great recruiter with head coaching experience like Norm Roberts. Besides which if the Magic 8-Baldi says it's likely it's likely not likely. Richmond becoming special advisor to the head coach a la Keady, I could see that, or maybe he gets kicked upstairs to assistant AD or something. 

Yeah maybe I was just speculating and you must admit that would make for interesting times on here. But  "demoting" Richmond would almost look like he is scapegoating his friend. Your scenario would make most sense but when has that ever happened around here?
And from what has been rumored, if you bring in another guy who recruits how does that dynamic with Matt work?

Mullin will have to manage that dynamic as head coaches are expected to do. Most programs have 2 recruiters with big egos, but the guys making the big $$ attend to any staff conflict. Slice "stuff" aside, one would hope he would be up to it this go around.

We are not most programs.
You want another recruiter or X and O old bench guy that everyone else wants? Unless you grab hybrid guy.
Personally I would want another recruiter. Preferably a guy who recruits HS kids every once in awhile.
Again none of this really matters if Mullin doesn't show something next year.

Hybrid

Will a difference making assistant want to attach himself to us at this point in time?
Specifically Rice. Would he want this to be his first job back?
If things don't work out next year, would be a 1 year return.

Hell yeah! We will likely have the biggest turnaround in conference record for the entire country. Even if we are slightly disappointing. All because we patched a few holes.

I don't disagree though I am sure we disagree on what the "holes" are.
I expect / hope we win 17 or 18 next year.
Which would be enough for me and more importantly the school and Mullin most likely.
Others on here won't be happy with that kind of turnaround.

I tend to agree with you but let's play devil's advocate.  17-18 wins is a 3-4 win improvement in 2 years from a team I think we all know kind of sucked.

Do we all think that Fred, Malik, Darien and SIgmund were better suited to this coach free NBA system than Simon, Clark and Trimble?  Or did the returning players not benefit from the extra year of experience?  This year's lineup looked better up and down the line.  At t his point next year's lineup only has more bodies but I don't see any significant upgrades, unless Brooks does make it to campus an performs to or above his top 100 reputation.

FWIW I was expecting 17-18 wins this year and 20 or more in 18/19, or at least that's what I wanted to be satisfied with the progress.  Some might say getting to just 17 or 18 next year won't wash the stink of this year off the program.  Those that are happy with it will recognize that this year's regression happened and we have to move on from here.

PS the answers to the questions above are obviously No, the answer is Marcus Lovett obviously.  Whatever his reasons for not coming back that was the thing that brought this season to ruin.  I believe many on here underestimate his value to this program.  I don't see a replacement on the roster next year.  Even if Brooks doesn't come there should be a lot more production and options in the front court next year but back courts rule college hoops and I don't see next year's being as good as this year's could have been.

Foad

« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2018, 04:01:06 PM »

If I get this same dull dreary message that you repeat every 20 minutes made into a tee shirt (gray obviously, because you're so deadly dull, printing front and back) will you wear the tee shirt and stop posting it?
Sir ,
U bring up Steve Lavin every day of your life. Anytime someone wants me to trust the process I get mad. 8- certainly 40 plus

Mullin isn’t Foad’s guy. (He says that now. How convenient) When he was hired he certainly believed he’d get the job done because “he’s been successful” with every job he’s had. Clearly that’s not true. It wasn’t even true then.

One of you can't read, the other one can't spell, and neither of you are very good at thinking. If you have a conversation a black hole of stupid will be created that will swallow us all. Please stop, if not for me then for the sake of humanity.

« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2018, 04:08:58 PM »

Sir ,

Some of you are just pissing in the wind. Who has said Mullin has done a good job? Some of us just think that he came in to a bad situation, has had some bad luck and he deserves(is getting it anyway) one year with a full roster. Most feel that there is a better shot of us being decent sooner if Mullin can succeed next year as opposed to starting yet another rebuild with all that usually entails.
I for one own up to the fact that maybe I would be less patient if the coach was Joe Schmoe, but staying patient for 4 years isn't exactly having the patience of Job.

Again, agree in principle, Mullin has the best chance of getting the team decent sooner.  My question is does he have any chance of getting the program to the very good level?  I think we'll know the answer to that question based on the progress made in the next  12-14 months.

« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2018, 04:09:37 PM »
We won 8 conference games last year. The staff didn't get this bad overnight. They don't have the tools. Simply move Richmond back to advisor with the same pay and pickup a veteran coach. St. Jean is a talented kid who will only get better. I think the growth last year combined with what was supposed to be a talent infusion this year gave rhe staff a false sense of their NBA system being able to work. That vision is shattered. College kids need more structure and I think they finally get that.
The funny thing is everyone hates the staff except for Matt. If changes are made the guy on the staff with the least personal ties to Mullin is Matt. Chris Mullin will get fired before he fires Richmond and has ties to ST Jean's dad. IF there are changes my bet would be Matt. Hey Baldi might actually get something right. Can't wait to read the boards when it is announced that the change is Matt. Should be fun times.

You fire the single recruiter - presumably the only guy on the staff who's building relationships with future classes - and bring in a different single recruiter? Hard to believe they do that unless it's a great recruiter with head coaching experience like Norm Roberts. Besides which if the Magic 8-Baldi says it's likely it's likely not likely. Richmond becoming special advisor to the head coach a la Keady, I could see that, or maybe he gets kicked upstairs to assistant AD or something. 

Yeah maybe I was just speculating and you must admit that would make for interesting times on here. But  "demoting" Richmond would almost look like he is scapegoating his friend. Your scenario would make most sense but when has that ever happened around here?
And from what has been rumored, if you bring in another guy who recruits how does that dynamic with Matt work?

Mullin will have to manage that dynamic as head coaches are expected to do. Most programs have 2 recruiters with big egos, but the guys making the big $$ attend to any staff conflict. Slice "stuff" aside, one would hope he would be up to it this go around.

You want another recruiter or X and O old bench guy that everyone else wants? Unless you grab hybrid guy.
Personally I would want another recruiter. Preferably a guy who recruits HS kids every once in awhile.

Hybrid

Will a difference making assistant want to attach himself to us at this point in time?

Hell yeah! We will likely have the biggest turnaround in conference record for the entire country. Even if we are slightly disappointing. All because we patched a few holes.

Which would be enough for me and more importantly the school and Mullin most likely.

I tend to agree with you but let's play devil's advocate.  17-18 wins is a 3-4 win improvement in 2 years from a team I think we all know kind of sucked.

Do we all think that Fred, Malik, Darien and SIgmund were better suited to this coach free NBA system than Simon, Clark and Trimble?  Or did the returning players not benefit from the extra year of experience?  This year's lineup looked better up and down the line.  At t his point next year's lineup only has more bodies but I don't see any significant upgrades, unless Brooks does make it to campus an performs to or above his top 100 reputation.

FWIW I was expecting 17-18 wins this year and 20 or more in 18/19, or at least that's what I wanted to be satisfied with the progress.  Some might say getting to just 17 or 18 next year won't wash the stink of this year off the program.  Those that are happy with it will recognize that this year's regression happened and we have to move on from here.

PS the answers to the questions above are obviously No, the answer is Marcus Lovett obviously.  Whatever his reasons for not coming back that was the thing that brought this season to ruin.  I believe many on here underestimate his value to this program.  I don't see a replacement on the roster next year.  Even if Brooks doesn't come there should be a lot more production and options in the front court next year but back courts rule college hoops and I don't see next year's being as good as this year's could have been.

Hybrid

People will hate this but in my mind because of Lovett and I bet in eyes of the school the 17 or 18 wins will be considered as the step up from 2 years ago. Basically what you, I and most sane people thought was a target improvement from last year. I agree about Lovett factor and problem was doubled by poor roster management issue. I know in reality things don't work this way but for me this year never happened.

« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2018, 04:12:01 PM »

+1 

I've already stated the only players I expect to help us right out of the gate is Brooks and Dixon.  I'm still cautiously-optimistic with that being said.  I'm not sure their production will be good enough to catapult us to where I think we should be in Year 4.

Coaching needs to be cleaned up.

TONYD3

« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2018, 04:12:12 PM »

Sir ,

One of you can't read, the other one can't spell, and neither of you are very good at thinking. If you have a conversation a black hole of stupid will be created that will swallow us all. Please stop, if not for me then for the sake of humanity.
Foady- That’s what I thought - mullin is and will always be Santa 🎅.  We could lose the rest of the games this season. True believer. Trust the process.
Been sick with flu all week. Thanks for the laughs

« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2018, 04:15:51 PM »

Sir ,

Some of you are just pissing in the wind. Who has said Mullin has done a good job? Some of us just think that he came in to a bad situation, has had some bad luck and he deserves(is getting it anyway) one year with a full roster. Most feel that there is a better shot of us being decent sooner if Mullin can succeed next year as opposed to starting yet another rebuild with all that usually entails.
I for one own up to the fact that maybe I would be less patient if the coach was Joe Schmoe, but staying patient for 4 years isn't exactly having the patience of Job.

Again, agree in principle, Mullin has the best chance of getting the team decent sooner.  My question is does he have any chance of getting the program to the very good level?  I think we'll know the answer to that question based on the progress made in the next  12-14 months.

Yes we won't know that next level question until sometime next year.
If it doesn't work out I am certainly not going to post every hour on the hour he should quit, but I certainly will understand if he is fired / resigns.
My question is does the guy who can bring us to the next level exist for us?
I think people looking for Big Foot have had better success locating that mystical being than ST John's has had of theirs.

Foad

« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2018, 04:21:39 PM »

Sir ,

I bring up Lavin every other days tops and I do it interesting in ways that bring people joy and if not happiness then at least in ways that makes them think. That's why everyone loves me. Even the people who hate me love me and consider me a national treasure. You on the other hand are a deadly dull dreary bore who repeats the same deadly dull dreary things over and over in the same deadly dull dreary way. Which is why you are less beloved than am I. Imagine, being liked less than FOADY. The mind boggles. And yet  you've managed it with little or no effort, just by being yourself. No one begrudges you your opinion, they begrudge you your complete and utter boringosityness. You are killing us (royal) by the weight of the sheer deadly dullness of witless repetition of completely obvious facts and vacuous platitudes. Even Paultzman slams you and compared to me he's Mother Teresa and the Buddha rolled into one. I'm not asking you to look inward, I'm pretty sure there's nothing there. But for god sake could you try and be a little less wretched. Mix it up a little. Start some more FIRE MITCH RICHMOND threads. Threaten to wear a bag over your head. Register firemullinnow.com and create an on line petition. Something. Anything.

« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2018, 04:22:24 PM »

Sir ,

Fun
Think back to BEB days. Would you ever have imagined 10 years later we would be on  same side of blasting the stream of tedious posts from people complaining about a ST john's coach? Long strange trip being a ST John's fan!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 04:23:47 PM by we are sju »

Foad

« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2018, 04:30:10 PM »

Yeah, no. What I said was "You say that like I care about Mullin." By which I meant that I'm not emotionally attached to Chris Mullin the person. I was happy when he was hired and wrote an incredibly moving essay about his hiring that brought myself to tears. I hoped he would do well as head coach and thought he would. I continue to be optimistic about his trajectory as HC and the program's despite the set backs this year. Should he fail long term that would make me sad, because I am a fan of his and of the program. But Mullin qua Mullin, I could give an intercourse. 

Foad

« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2018, 04:31:42 PM »
Think back to BEB days. Would you ever have imagined 10 years later we would be on  same side of blasting the stream of tedious posts from people complaining about a ST john's coach? Long strange trip being a ST John's fan!

I knew you'd come to the dark side eventually. I saw your potential back then, even if you didn't.

« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2018, 04:34:43 PM »

Sir ,

Fun

No homo though

« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2018, 04:38:58 PM »

Sir ,

Fun

No homo though

Don't know what that post meant but you have managed to stay the same the last 10 years. Comforting in a way. Like an old smelly slipper.

Foad

« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2018, 04:39:55 PM »

Foady- That’s what I thought - mullin is and will always be Santa 🎅.  We could lose the rest of the games this season. True believer. Trust the process.

See stupid, this is exactly what I'm talking about. I did not mention Mullin at all. I did not mention basketball at all. And yet your reply is a dreary dull rehash of your last 1000 posts. This is why everyone thinks you're awful.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 04:42:32 PM by Foad »

TONYD3

« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2018, 04:44:13 PM »

See stupid, this is exactly what I'm talking about. I did not mention Mullin at all. I did not mention basketball at all. And yet your reply is a dreary dull rehash of your last 1000 posts. This is why everyone thinks you're awful.
I think u are great. Thanks

« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2018, 04:46:47 PM »

Sir ,

Fun

No homo though

Don't know what that post meant but you have managed to stay the same the last 10 years. Comforting in a way. Like an old smelly slipper.

Muah

« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2018, 04:57:59 PM »

Sir ,

Fun

No homo though

Muah

You are in tough spot here. Probably annoy most people at this point by defending Mullin. I don't think just bashing Matt going to get you the reaction you want.
Think you need to go full on pro Mullin.

« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2018, 05:22:21 PM »

Sir ,

Fun

No homo though

Muah

You are in tough spot here. Probably annoy most people at this point by defending Mullin. I don't think just bashing Matt going to get you the reaction you want.
Think you need to go full on pro Mullin.

No chance Mullin gets fired. Do you want to be the AD that fires the face of the program?

« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2018, 10:07:02 AM »
He's not getting fired obviously but this is still the plan, 2 year plan.  Huge bounce back next year and then VERY HIGH expectations for year 5 with a major player or 2 added for that season, 19-20.

Will this happen?  I have my doubts.

But they believe inside the walls of 8000 Utopia Parkway that the short bench and Lovett are most responsible for this season and that some roster improvement and maybe a staff change will turn it all around next year.  I sure as hell hope they are right because I can't imagine if we are sitting here a year from now and they are say 4-7, heading nowhere, and have to go to play Duke say in Cameron on National Television with rumors that Mullin's future at SJU is in doubt....and then they get waxed by 30+ what that will be like for him around campus...I don't want to see that happen.  He means too much to the program and I want him to succeed as much as anyone.

But again they understand the urgency which is why they are selling next year as a big turnaround.