Hate seeing negative attention...

• 30 replies

pmg911

Hate seeing negative attention...
« on: January 29, 2018, 01:56:37 PM »
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/colleges/2018/01/29/just-not-working-for-chris-mullin-john/pf745a1APPaP5iwoAGz5WJ/story.html

Our local media should be covering SJU and giving them a little grief this year but hate seeing a piece like this outside of our coverage area...

Re: Hate seeing negative attention...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 02:00:53 PM »
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/colleges/2018/01/29/just-not-working-for-chris-mullin-john/pf745a1APPaP5iwoAGz5WJ/story.html

Our local media should be covering SJU and giving them a little grief this year but hate seeing a piece like this outside of our coverage area...

Well, St. John’s is a nationally known university that plays in a high major conference that also happens to be top ten in all time wins. Yes, people are going to know if you’re struggling as bad as we are.

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 02:19:55 PM »
Are you reading about Cal, Illinois and Pittsburgh anywhere?  They are in high major conferences, more nationally known and more recent success than STJ and are also floundering this year.This is news outside New York not because of the St Johns name, but because of the Chris Mullin name. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 02:20:35 PM by austour »

goredmen

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 02:33:28 PM »
Are you reading about Cal, Illinois and Pittsburgh anywhere?  They are in high major conferences, more nationally known and more recent success than STJ and are also floundering this year.This is news outside New York not because of the St Johns name, but because of the Chris Mullin name. 

Big conference programs will have down years. This article is more about if we could ever be good again. Cal, Illinois and Pitt have at least been good recently and/or there's no reason to believe nobody can win there

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 02:34:18 PM »

More than just Chris Mullin but the fact that Chris Mullin was not a traditional hire.  He had no HC experience and had been outside the college game for a long time. 

Nobody is disputing that bad hires or hires that don't work out can come in all shapes and forms but out of the schools you named Mullin is the only one who did not come from the traditional route (hire a current HC or an assistant from another program) and that is why his hire is getting more scrutiny then others.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 02:34:49 PM »
 Nothing was said year one and some nice pieces written in year two, with some media outlets calling SJU a team "To watch out for" as we headed into year 3.  To go from promising, to potentially worse than year 1, is going to raise the ears up on many of folk, inside and outside the program.  The writer is dead on, this is not working out for Mullin and university.  Give him another a year another 5 years, will not matter, because he is not a coach.

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 07:34:34 PM »

If we don't want to see negative articles maybe try not to go 0-10 in conference play. This might be coincidence on timing but spoke to someone today who said Chris does not enjoy coaching and really doesn't want to be here. Also said the players are uncoachable and do not listen to him and that Mullin doesn't care anymore and let's them do whatever they want. This is the second place i have heard this the first time was about 6 months from a different source so I didn't bother to post but now that there is corroboration figured I would. One source got this impression talking directly to Mullin that being that he doesn't enjoy coaching not the other other stuff I heard today. You guys are free to take it FWIW obviously.

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 07:51:58 PM »

If we don't want to see negative articles maybe try not to go 0-10 in conference play. This might be coincidence on timing but spoke to someone today who said Chris does not enjoy coaching and really doesn't want to be here. Also said the players are uncoachable and do not listen to him and that Mullin doesn't care anymore and let's them do whatever they want. This is the second place i have heard this the first time was about 6 months from a different source so I didn't bother to post but now that there is corroboration figured I would. One source got this impression talking directly to Mullin that being that he doesn't enjoy coaching not the other other stuff I heard today. You guys are free to take it FWIW obviously.

"There is no such thing as bad publicity."
Guess PT Barnum wasn't a ST John's fan.

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 08:39:45 PM »
If Jason Buchanan got hired we wouldn't be reading this. When you have one of the best players to ever play the game of basketball get hired and have this season it's noteworthy unfortunately

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 08:52:36 PM »
Baldi now starting threads under Kamorkasma?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 08:53:54 PM by we are sju »

TONYD3

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 10:15:50 PM »

Mullin seems to have a very good relationship with his players. I think he wants to help. I think they are interested in what he has to say.
Does he like to coach? No idea but  I think Greg st. Jean is preparing the St. John’s Basketball team for Xavier

Johnny23

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 10:19:07 PM »
I agree that it has gotten really bad now that the national media outside the tri-state is covering it. Horrible look for Mullin.

Poison

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 12:38:58 AM »
Nothing was said year one and some nice pieces written in year two, with some media outlets calling SJU a team "To watch out for" as we headed into year 3.  To go from promising, to potentially worse than year 1, is going to raise the ears up on many of folk, inside and outside the program.  The writer is dead on, this is not working out for Mullin and university.  Give him another a year another 5 years, will not matter, because he is not a coach.

But he deserves the chance to have a fourth year and let St.Jean coach while he cries to the refs.
Only the dopes on this board and the die Mullin fans want to give him more time. Any objective college basketball enthusiast can see that Mullin is in way over his head.

This article just says he’s not getting it done. The key is in the details. Do we play as a team? No. Do we run an offense? No. Do we have an identity on defense. No. Did we switch to zone after seeing that we don’t have the legs to play man to man? No. Do we box out? Never.

Someone on the staff needs to go. Up until recently, the assistants have taken the fall for Mullin. Why are their names brought up and not Mullin’s? Because he was a great player.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 12:41:17 AM by Poison »

SJUFAN

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 11:52:30 AM »

But he deserves the chance to have a fourth year and let St.Jean coach while he cries to the refs.
Only the dopes on this board and the die Mullin fans want to give him more time. Any objective college basketball enthusiast can see that Mullin is in way over his head.

This article just says he’s not getting it done. The key is in the details. Do we play as a team? No. Do we run an offense? No. Do we have an identity on defense. No. Did we switch to zone after seeing that we don’t have the legs to play man to man? No. Do we box out? Never.

Someone on the staff needs to go. Up until recently, the assistants have taken the fall for Mullin. Why are their names brought up and not Mullin’s? Because he was a great player.

Ideally you would want the HC being able to run the show, but its not necessary if you surround yourself with the right people. Mullin has failed in that area. He needs to bring in an experienced coach. Its hard to bring in players to SJU, a hybrid commuter school.  Unless you have a killer recruiter/salesmen, or someone of Mullin's stature. I didn't want to get rid of Lavin because I was confident he could land players and if he brought in the right staff we could be good, but he did get lazy. I'm willing to give Mullin two more years. See what changes he makes to his staff, if any, after this year. If everyone stays, next year will be the first year he will have a complete BE roster. That is on the coach as well. I don't see Mullin as the persistent type on the recruiting trail.   

ras

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 12:49:45 PM »
I agree that it has gotten really bad now that the national media outside the tri-state is covering it. Horrible look for Mullin.
Dont want bad press, Win. The article isnt the problem. our BE record is.

Johnny23

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 01:03:38 PM »
Dont want bad press, Win. The article isnt the problem. our BE record is.

The damage is already done and this article just highlights that.

ras

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 02:48:06 PM »
Well for any fans giving up on the season and not wanting to watch the game tonight , our fellow poster kamerkosma has provided alternative avenues of entertainment LOL.

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 03:09:53 PM »
Well for any fans giving up on the season and not wanting to watch the game tonight , our fellow poster kamerkosma has provided alternative avenues of entertainment LOL.

Some of the posts fit under many of the different replies lately

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 03:35:52 PM »
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2018/01/27/doyel-kamar-baldwin-and-butler-basketball-destroy-chris-mullins-overmatched-team/1069513001/

Not sure if this was posted but the second half of the article really highlights the insanity of this entire situation.

Johnny23

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 03:43:56 PM »
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2018/01/27/doyel-kamar-baldwin-and-butler-basketball-destroy-chris-mullins-overmatched-team/1069513001/

Not sure if this was posted but the second half of the article really highlights the insanity of this entire situation.

Wow. Thanks for sharing. This is a major indictment on Mullin and the SJU administration as a whole. This shit spreads like wildfire. There is no way in hell we don't lose some guys to transfer and decommits before next season. No f'ing way. This writer is spot on. Even I'm sick of the announcers talking about Chris Mullin as a players 30+ years ago. That's all he has going for him at this point.