Xavier Game 2

• 88 replies
Re: Xavier Game 2
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2018, 11:18:35 PM »
Man...watching these two post game clips of Mullin is really sad to watch....   

https://mobile.twitter.com/marleypaul22?lang=en

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2018, 11:23:41 PM »
Poison is right.....Inept is a great adjective to describe this staff
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 11:24:11 PM by RedStormNC »

Johnny23

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2018, 11:24:23 PM »
Painful.

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2018, 11:33:11 PM »
Mullin looked completely flustered at the end of that game. Apparently he was barking to Stu Jackson.

https://twitter.com/PBrennanENQ/status/958547772227096576

Poison

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2018, 11:41:42 PM »
Mullin went full Norm Roberts tonight.

« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2018, 11:58:17 PM »
Bad teams find ways to lose, and thats what SJU is, a bad team.  After the shot clock violation, Mullin is complaining to the refs instead of getting his team ready on defense.  He should absolutely get fired, but wont, and thats the sickening part with this whole mess this season. 
Modest change = Mullin back plus year 4 of st. Jean. Only chance he is shamed into quitting. 31 games under .500. How is that even possible?

Can we shame you to stop posting?
Seriously are you typing these things from the Overlook Hotel?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 12:07:43 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2018, 12:00:57 AM »
Bad teams find ways to lose, and thats what SJU is, a bad team.  After the shot clock violation, Mullin is complaining to the refs instead of getting his team ready on defense.  He should absolutely get fired, but wont, and thats the sickening part with this whole mess this season. 
Modest change = Mullin back plus year 4 of st. Jean. Only chance he is shamed into quitting. 31 games under .500. How is that even possible?

Seriously are typing these things from the Overlook Hotel?
This is like myself and realfan back in the day

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2018, 12:03:40 AM »
The possession at the end was awful . But honestly college kids always wait too long to make their move at end of shot clock.
Bill Raftery would never get to say his catch phrase about any of our guys after shooting clutch free throws.
With no low post option and the way we shoot free throws at end of games I don't think we will ever win a close game.
One game this year Ponds and Simon will play well at the same time and we will win.
Mr Owens still think Tariq should get 12 -15 shots a night?
Refs sucked!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 12:06:45 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2018, 12:05:29 AM »

Tony makes Realfan look like John Steinbeck. Only in all caps.

Poison

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2018, 12:17:12 AM »
The possession at the end was awful . But honestly college kids always wait too long to make their move at end of shot clock.
Bill Raftery would never get to say his catch phrase about any of our guys after shooting clutch free throws.
With no low post option and the way we shoot free throws at end of games I don't think we will ever win a close game.
One game this year Ponds and Simon will play well at the same time and we will win.
Refs sucked!

When Ponds and Simon play well it’s because they attack the basket and finish. But they aren’t working together when they do this.

I can understand Tariq’s dad getting angry at Mullin. Tariq is unselfish. He was never expected to be a star here. He hustles but he doesn’t have the strength to post up, fight through screens or even box out. At the end of the game his numbers are often pretty good, but the box score doesn’t tell the story of how he got worked in the paint. He thinks he’s a three. Everyone else thinks they’re a two. Instead of a positionless lineup maybe we could try positions?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 12:19:51 AM by Poison »

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2018, 12:22:14 AM »
Refs sucked!

When Ponds and Simon play well it’s because they attack the basket and finish. But they aren’t working together when they do this.

I can understand Tariq’s dad getting angry at Mullin. Tariq is unselfish. He was never expected to be a star here. He hustles but he doesn’t have the strength to post up, fight through screens or even box out. At the end of the game his numbers are often pretty good, but the box score doesn’t tell the story of how he got worked in the paint. He thinks he’s a three. Everyone else thinks they’re a two. Instead of a positionless lineup maybe we could try positions?

I like Owens but any points he scores are a bonus. He does not have the skill set to be a featured player. Hs a nice touch but not good enough to warrant our only big shooting jumpers. If he had any weight and or a post move then he could have all the shots his heart desired.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 12:22:35 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2018, 12:26:42 AM »
Don't know how people could say that is Mullin at the end. 4 missed free throws? I'm sure they told them to give ponds the ball but he was well covered and didn't get it...

Yes, the missed FTs are not on Mullin. These guys do get the yips at the line in big spots like I've never seen before.

But the shot clock violation out of the timeout was horrible. They were lost that whole possession.

You have to expect Xavier will apply some full court pressure and deny Ponds in that situation. It's the coach's job to figure out a way to get him the ball

Bad possession absolutely but the only "play" working was Ponds at top of key penetrating. They were going to run a double at him with Clark's man staying at home and Mack not caring what the other 3 guys did. If you set a pick up top the pickers man would jump Ponds and let his man go wherever he wanted. I guess you could have had Clark screen for Ponds.

Poison

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2018, 12:41:00 AM »
Refs sucked!

I like Owens but any points he scores are a bonus. He does not have the skill set to be a featured player. Hs a nice touch but not good enough to warrant our only big shooting jumpers. If he had any weight and or a post move then he could have all the shots his heart desired.

We’d all like him to have learned a post up game, but he’s a three. If he was playing the three and the staff had a real center and a real power forward, he’d be shooting three pointers and ten footers over guys that are 6’5. Let’s not blame the player for the position he’s been put in.

Ponds is playing out position, too. So is Marvin Clark.

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2018, 03:51:18 AM »
Refs sucked!

We’d all like him to have learned a post up game, but he’s a three. If he was playing the three and the staff had a real center and a real power forward, he’d be shooting three pointers and ten footers over guys that are 6’5. Let’s not blame the player for the position he’s been put in.

Ponds is playing out position, too. So is Marvin Clark.

In what world is Tariq a 3? He can't create his own shot, he can't dribble and he can't defend quicker players without fouling. He should be coming off the bench providing some good minutes and lifting the team with his defense , but unfortunately the roster is depleted.
 Most parents think their kids deserve to be the star of the team. Tariq's Dad needs to stop taking  lowkey shots at Shamorie on Twitter, it's pretty classless. I wouldn't be surprised if Tariq looks to go elsewhere to "showcase" himself. Every SJU player thinks they belong in the NBA but cant win a damn BE game.  Shameful.

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2018, 06:00:04 AM »
I agree that the coaching staff really is inept, and most of this falls on them. On the other hand this team really isn't that good. How many open looks do they miss!? Clark missed numerous wide open jumpers from the high post tonight after a drive and kick. How many times did ponds penetrate and kick the ball out to ahmed or clark for a wide open 3 that would have put them up 8-10 points and they just can't hit it and swing the momentum. We can never hit a dagger.These guys miss layups as much as they miss defensive assignments. Why do we constantly switch and have Tariq guarding one of the guards. This happened numerous times against Creighton with him on Khyri and tonight with him on Bluiett? It just does not make any sense. It is also very hard to win with a team that how no low post presence and not very good outside shooters. They basically stand around the perimeter and wait for ponds to do something. They have some pieces that are good role players on good teams, but just the defensive IQ of this team will notion them games, especially close games in crunch time.

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2018, 07:08:21 AM »
In the last minutes of the game coming off timeouts they can't get off a shot. You still got the kid drawing up the plays. Sad

Funny thing is two of the players didn't know where they were supposed on the play. How is that? Mullin and St.Jean were yelling at them about where to go. Not the only time it happened. Seemed like every out of bounds play the players didn't know the plays.

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2018, 07:46:24 AM »
In the last minutes of the game coming off timeouts they can't get off a shot. You still got the kid drawing up the plays. Sad

Funny thing is two of the players didn't know where they were supposed on the play. How is that? Mullin and St.Jean were yelling at them about where to go. Not the only time it happened. Seemed like every out of bounds play the players didn't know the plays.

Gotta bring in smarter players. All the basics should be known already coming into college. Give me a leas talented kid with something between his ears any day. Better in the long run

TONYD3

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2018, 08:35:04 AM »

3 mentions in one short span. Obsessed much? Trying to get in the holy trinity of fierce person gotry? Sorry wouldn’t let me call you a fxg.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 08:37:57 AM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2018, 09:15:37 AM »

3 mentions in one short span. Obsessed much? Trying to get in the holy trinity of fierce person gotry? Sorry wouldn’t let me call you a fxg.

This was your best post even if it didn't make any sense. See you didn't type Mullin  and quit.Good job.

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2018, 09:34:54 AM »
It's a combination of a million things - the type of players, coaching, the circumstances (think our kids are pressing and playing tighter in close games because they know the situation), being exhausted (playing all game wears on you and it hasn't helped in these close ones).  Norm's players went from kids no one wanted for three years -  many of whom were often called "athletes" and not "basketball players" -- to the toast of this board and the city.  This year has been gut wrenching on so many levels and I really feel for these kids.  Staff needs to make improvements in certain respects and ensure everyone returns (sans Lovett) so that we have talent and depth next year.

Gotta bring in smarter players. All the basics should be known already coming into college. Give me a leas talented kid with something between his ears any day. Better in the long run