Xavier Game 2

• 88 replies
Re: Xavier Game 2
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2018, 05:34:03 PM »
We dont know how to finish games. These games are very close against top competition. Furthermore,  we are a lot better than year 1 ,despite the same record.  Goal tending, travelling, shot clock violation and missed free throws cost us the game, not Mullin.  That said, we can use an experienced coach for the staff.  Lets hope we dont loose any core players this year and can take a big step foward next year.
Experienced coaching doesn't solve these problems.  Having players does.  We lost to a number six team by a handful of points.

. . . due to poor execution in crunch time.  Work me up in a lather, rinse me with IPA and repeat next game.  I don't doubt that there are some issues with players but they look like they have not been shown what to do in end game situations at all.  Same mistakes every game.  That's a preparation issue, either bad preparation or insufficient preparation.  Both are coaching issues.

You know why you want see good coaches have problems with guys with low basketball IQ's?
They don't recruit them. You think if Ahmed played for Duke he would all of a sudden become Shane Battier?
Same thing in the pros. Why you won't see Michael Beasley(who I really like BTW) ever play on the Spurs.
To get talent at ST john's sometimes have to look the other way at certain things that better programs wouldn't.

There are dozens of teams in the well coached spectrum between STJ and Duke.  And most of them are more like STJ than Duke in the types of players they attract and the types of players they sign.  There are dozens of Ahmed's around the country and Owens' , etc....  Try coaching, it works. 

« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2018, 05:35:49 PM »
We play 7 kids with man to man defense for almost 40 minutes and people are shocked that we miss free throws at the end of games?

There was a reason I was negative for the first time since the Norm days this summer. How does anyone win with this roster? College basketball is a guards game. You need 4-5 minimum. We have maaaaaaybe two. I'm bullish on next season so long as we don't lose more than two kids and Ponds stays. We will have the #1 turnaround in the country and Mullin will be getting more good press than we've seen on 25 years.

I was livid last offseason. The 2017 recruiting class was a absolute failure and is a huge reason for our struggles. We gambled on the slimmest margin of error and it blew up in our faces-

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4278403/hasahn-french

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4277869/jose-alvarado

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4277967/isaiah-washington

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2018/jan/25/vols-freshmforward-derrick-walker-takes-advan/462069/

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66947/nura-zanna

As was I, and I got a ton of crap for my negativity. Dixon and Williams gives us 5 guys that can play 1-3. I'd like to see a dump it off type of PG to give this team some structure. I think there are
25 wins out there for next season with a few changes.

Take 20

You guys can take your 20 or 18.  I only need 2 puffs of whatever Marillac is smoking to assure myself a good time.

« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2018, 06:46:32 PM »
Xavier St Johns recap http://www.bigeastboards.com/
You say all our coaching hires since Lou were coaches on the come. I don't think Lavin (eight years on TV) or Mullin (never coached a day in his life and had to be coaxed by Lou) were coaches on the come. Rather I think you just like the phrase on the come.  :D

« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2018, 07:12:57 PM »
We dont know how to finish games. These games are very close against top competition. Furthermore,  we are a lot better than year 1 ,despite the same record.  Goal tending, travelling, shot clock violation and missed free throws cost us the game, not Mullin.  That said, we can use an experienced coach for the staff.  Lets hope we dont loose any core players this year and can take a big step foward next year.
Experienced coaching doesn't solve these problems.  Having players does.  We lost to a number six team by a handful of points.

. . . due to poor execution in crunch time.  Work me up in a lather, rinse me with IPA and repeat next game.  I don't doubt that there are some issues with players but they look like they have not been shown what to do in end game situations at all.  Same mistakes every game.  That's a preparation issue, either bad preparation or insufficient preparation.  Both are coaching issues.

You know why you want see good coaches have problems with guys with low basketball IQ's?
They don't recruit them. You think if Ahmed played for Duke he would all of a sudden become Shane Battier?
Same thing in the pros. Why you won't see Michael Beasley(who I really like BTW) ever play on the Spurs.
To get talent at ST john's sometimes have to look the other way at certain things that better programs wouldn't.

There are dozens of teams in the well coached spectrum between STJ and Duke.  And most of them are more like STJ than Duke in the types of players they attract and the types of players they sign.  There are dozens of Ahmed's around the country and Owens' , etc....  Try coaching, it works. 

Because no coach since Fran has come here with any idea on what they want to do recruiting wise. So instead they just try and get best athlete regardless of where he plays, what we already have or how he fits. Like if you go to a grocery store once a week forgot what you need find that either they are out of steak or steak is too expensive so you just keep buying Hot Dogs.

Poison

« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2018, 12:31:14 AM »

Because no coach since Fran has come here with any idea on what they want to do recruiting wise. So instead they just try and get best athlete regardless of where he plays, what we already have or how he fits. Like if you go to a grocery store once a week forgot what you need find that either they are out of steak or steak is too expensive so you just keep buying Hot Dogs.

Lavin sold NYC as the biggest of the big time. He knew that St.John’s University in Jamaica, NY would never equal big time anything to recruits. So instead he sold what he had and it worked. Coaching them is another story, but Lavin brought great talent here. He told kids from Texas, California, Michigan, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Illinois etc that they star in the biggest stage. Technically, that can’t be debated.

Instead of kissing every overrated local’s behind he recognized they were leaving town anyway. That’s a strategy that no coach had tried. Imagine if Dunlap stayed. What a team they would have made.

« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2018, 01:13:43 AM »
Staff has kids from Louisiana Georgia and state of Washington coming in next year I think it’s the one the bigger selling points we have.

« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2018, 06:55:08 AM »
In the last minutes of the game coming off timeouts they can't get off a shot. You still got the kid drawing up the plays. Sad

Funny thing is two of the players didn't know where they were supposed on the play. How is that? Mullin and St.Jean were yelling at them about where to go. Not the only time it happened. Seemed like every out of bounds play the players didn't know the plays.

Gotta bring in smarter players. All the basics should be known already coming into college. Give me a leas talented kid with something between his ears any day. Better in the long run

Agreed. Sometimes you can coach them al you want but they don't get it. I'm all for bringing in more basketball players as opposed to athletes.

Poison

« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2018, 08:16:10 AM »
In the last minutes of the game coming off timeouts they can't get off a shot. You still got the kid drawing up the plays. Sad

Funny thing is two of the players didn't know where they were supposed on the play. How is that? Mullin and St.Jean were yelling at them about where to go. Not the only time it happened. Seemed like every out of bounds play the players didn't know the plays.

Gotta bring in smarter players. All the basics should be known already coming into college. Give me a leas talented kid with something between his ears any day. Better in the long run

Agreed. Sometimes you can coach them al you want but they don't get it. I'm all for bringing in more basketball players as opposed to athletes.

How many of us said that about Sean Evans, Justin Brownlee, Justin Burrell, Malik Boothe, Paris Horne and DJ Kennedy before a real coach with a real staff took over? Blaming the players is pretty low. We start 5 guys who play 2 positions. Who should take the blame for that? The amateurs? Come on.

« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2018, 10:29:25 AM »

How many of us said that about Sean Evans, Justin Brownlee, Justin Burrell, Malik Boothe, Paris Horne and DJ Kennedy before a real coach with a real staff took over? Blaming the players is pretty low. We start 5 guys who play 2 positions. Who should take the blame for that? The amateurs? Come on.

Im not blaming the players, its true sometimes they don't get it. Have you ever cached anything? There is plenty of blame to go around. It doesn't just lie with the coaches like you seem to believe.