Duke game - partial redemption

• 24 replies
Re: Duke game - partial redemption
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2018, 10:07:46 AM »

sju89tr

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2018, 10:25:07 AM »
Dear Johnnies fans, I'm a Hoya fan coming by to offer you some encouragement. I feel bad your BE season has gone so poorly as I'd love to see St. J's become an NCAA tourney team again. I think you'd get some redemption with a victory over Duke this Saturday because beating a top 4 ranked team is a nice accomplishment.

It would show the world that you have a good team and can beat anyone. I think it would also help with your recruiting. Lastly, it would show that your record in the BE is to some degree due to the incredible strength of the BE, and not that your program is bad.

Related to that last point, part of me would like to see the BE add two additional teams that are located in major media markets, but have so-so programs (such as Boston U or Northeastern) in order to give the existing BE teams a couple of easier teams to beat, so their in-conference records can look respectable. It's sometimes hard for the 6th and 7th best BE teams to break into the tourney because their in conference records usually don't look good, and sometimes their overall records don't look good for the same reason.

It's pretty much impossible for the #8 BE team to get in. Granted this year the #8 team (Depaul or G-town) don't deserve to get in, but there will be years where the #8 team will be good enough to get in and won't because of their record due to playing in the BE. I think it also can make recruiting harder because it's somewhat harder to recruit when you're #8 out of 10 versus #8 out of 12.

Anyway, it would be great if a lot of fans make it out to the Duke game and the Johnnies get a huge upset at MSG.

Thank you for your  post. As much as I dislike the Hoyas, that is what sports are about. Nothing would be better for the Big East and College BB in the Northeast than for SJU and Georgetown to be consistent Top 20 teams again. 

paultzman

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2018, 10:46:42 AM »
Nice to see this happy dance

https://mobile.twitter.com/StJohnsBBall/status/960143512565174273

Nice to see my guy Baldi dancing with his favorite coach Matt in that clip! 😂

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2018, 10:59:13 AM »
A great win and moment for the program. But let's not kid ourselves. This team is still 0-11 in the Big East. Mullin still needs a real coaching staff under him. I'm glad we won as hopefully it helps keeps our recruits and incoming players intact. However let's not take our eyes off the bigger picture here as changes still need to be made.

My point exactly, Johnny23.  I appreciate the Hoya fan coming in here with words of hope, but the Hoyas' scenario was different than ours leading up to our respective games versus Duke.  That has been clearly proven.

Anyone who is familiar know I have no love for the Hoyas.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 11:01:33 AM by mjdinkins »

Johnny23

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2018, 11:15:31 AM »
A great win and moment for the program. But let's not kid ourselves. This team is still 0-11 in the Big East. Mullin still needs a real coaching staff under him. I'm glad we won as hopefully it helps keeps our recruits and incoming players intact. However let's not take our eyes off the bigger picture here as changes still need to be made.

My point exactly, Johnny23.  I appreciate the Hoya fan coming in here with words of hope, but the Hoyas' scenario was different than ours leading up to our respective games versus Duke.  That has been clearly proven.

Anyone who is familiar know I have no love for the Hoyas.

No doubt. The Hoyas program at that time completely different from SJU's presently.