Patience/Comparable Rebuilds

• 126 replies

goredmen

Re: Patience/Comparable Rebuilds
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 09:53:21 PM »

I honestly see 22-25 wins if everyone stays and a solid assistant is hired.

Complete insanity

We'll have depth for the first time. Size for the first time. Experience all over the court. Oh, and the best player in the conference as an upperclassman.

Yeah we'll have some depth finally but we won't really be adding any impact players for next year. Dixon, Keita, and Brooks should be fine role players at best and wouldn't expect much out of Williams, Roberts or Diakite in their freshman seasons. If nobody very unexpected leaves we should make a jump but I don't think you realize just how many wins 25 is. Seton Hall might not get to 25 wins this season and our team next year won't be close to as good as they are this year

ras

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 09:53:31 PM »

Complete insanity

He’s right though. We were well on pace for 20 wins this year before everything imploded. 22-25 wins next year ( assuming all known variables are still in place) is very realistic and should be the expectation.

More like you agree, rather than him being "right." 

IMO, Mullin may need to make two changes to the staff.  If those changes are made, along with everyone coming back and the newcomers doesn't renege, then there's a chance we could win 20 games.  Regardless, a change on the staff will need to be made, and it'll have to be with someone who'll make a difference.  Otherwise, it'll be more of the same.

By the way, Keita is raw (not directed at you, Eyes).  I don't care anything about his size.  He may have improved during his season off, but to expect much from him is setting yourself up for disappointment.  Maybe, playing last season with Chris Silva rubbed off on him.  We'll see.  I don't have much expectations from Keita next season.
Keita was raw. He also played 10 mpg as a true freshman for a team that made it to the national championship game. I'd like to think we could win 22-25 with him as a third year college player playing 20 mpg. Brooks isn't raw by any measurement. Clark played big minutes in the final four at PF and C. That's not a bad trio. Throw in Simon too in smaller lineups. These kids need be repositioned. Simon and Clark should be combining for 5 offensive boards a game.
If I’m not mistaken Keita was a 4 star player  out of hs and will benefit from the redshirt year. I’m also excited about Brooks, a player w real inside skills, which is something that IMO, Mullin has never had as a coach. As bad as this season has been, if we can keep the core intact, keep Brooks, and hire another experienced coach to help out, we can be in good shape.

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2018, 09:58:38 PM »

Complete insanity

He’s right though. We were well on pace for 20 wins this year before everything imploded. 22-25 wins next year ( assuming all known variables are still in place) is very realistic and should be the expectation.

IMO, Mullin may need to make two changes to the staff.  If those changes are made, along with everyone coming back and the newcomers doesn't renege, then there's a chance we could win 20 games.  Regardless, a change on the staff will need to be made, and it'll have to be with someone who'll make a difference.  Otherwise, it'll be more of the same.

By the way, Keita is raw (not directed at you, Eyes).  I don't care anything about his size.  He may have improved during his season off, but to expect much from him is setting yourself up for disappointment.  Maybe, playing last season with Chris Silva rubbed off on him.  We'll see.  I don't have much expectations from Keita next season.
Keita was raw. He also played 10 mpg as a true freshman for a team that made it to the national championship game. I'd like to think we could win 22-25 with him as a third year college player playing 20 mpg. Brooks isn't raw by any measurement. Clark played big minutes in the final four at PF and C. That's not a bad trio. Throw in Simon too in smaller lineups. These kids need be repositioned. Simon and Clark should be combining for 5 offensive boards a game.
If I’m not mistaken Keita was a 4 star player  out of hs and will benefit from the redshirt year. I’m also excited about Brooks, a player w real inside skills, which is something that IMO, Mullin has never had as a coach. As bad as this season has been, if we can keep the core intact, keep Brooks, and hire another experienced coach to help out, we can be in good shape.

Keita was a 4-star player coming out of HS.  I can name plenty of players who were 4-star players coming out of HS who didn't do much of anything in college.  I hope Keita comes out guns blazin', but I saw him a season ago and he's raw.  Hopefully, the redshirt season benefits him, but I'm not gonna expect too much from him next season.

I agree with the latter part of your reply, but those are a lot of "if's" from you, me, and several others.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 10:01:39 PM by mjdinkins »

ras

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2018, 10:02:01 PM »

Complete insanity

Keita was a 4-star player coming out of HS.  I can name plenty of players who were 4-star players coming out of HS who didn't do much of anything in college.  I hope Keita comes out guns blazin', but I saw him a season ago and he's raw.  Hopefully, the redshirt season benefits him, but I'm not gonna expect too much from his next season.

I agree with the latter part of your reply, but those are a lot of "if's" from you, me, and a several others.
Your right about the ifs. I think those ifs are going to make or break next season.

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2018, 10:02:58 PM »

Complete insanity

We'll have depth for the first time. Size for the first time. Experience all over the court. Oh, and the best player in the conference as an upperclassman.

Couple of things.  I do think SJU can have a big turnaround next year.  But more importantly they will have to, there is no way he can win 7 league games next year and claim it was an improvement based on this year being a disaster.  Again he does not get the benefit of the doubt like he did after year 1.  He does not get to benefit from a disaster this year.  The year 4 expectations still remain.  As I said it is a two year plan now with a HUGE jump next year expected and then year 5 competing with Nova.  So I like your enthusiasm...

...but you are way  overstating things.  You are saying SJU will have depth and some frontcourt talent for the first time, that doesn't guarantee anything.  As you know the other 9 teams are not standing still.  They will have talent and depth and the idea that SJU is going to jump 10-11 wins based simply on extra bodies is a bit of a leap of faith.

Secondly you are giving WAAAYYY too much credit for last year's 8 wins.  Again if you count the BE Tourney they were 8-12.  All 12 losses weren't close.  They had zero chance to win any of them.  They won I counted 4 games that could have gone either way, both wins against Georgetown at MSG, road win at DePaul and the Butler game at Carnesecca.  They won every one, quite frankly they were probably closer to 6-14 than say 10-10.  Put it to you another way, they probably didn't improve as much as we thought last year.  So don't put too much stock in last year's record.  In fact if anything some of those close wins last year are starting to even out this year with losses.  Since they really had no close losses last year.

Lastly, Ponds the best player next year in the BE??  Hopefully he improves but right now based on production and the fact the teams they play on are simply more successful I would put Markus Howard of Marquette, Jalen Brunson/Mikal Bridges/Omari Spellman/Phil Booth/Donte D all have eligiblity for Nova left after this year., Kamar Baldwin of Butler is a terrific player, Kyri Thomas of Creighton is averagine 14.6 while shooting over 50% and is a Junior.  I think Shamorie can be one of the best guards in the BE next year but I have to see a LOT more consistency to actually say he is the best returning player in the BE.  Not sure how other than SJU hype machine can anyone actually say that at this point.

Lastly when teams have had HUGE 1 year turnarounds, Minnesota last year, Oklahoma this year, it usually has been accompanied by a big time national talent joining the program.  Amir Coffey with Minny and Trae Yound with Oklahoma.  There is no one on SJU's roster that has that type of talent.  But no doubt they should be improved but more importantly they expect to be SIGNIFICANTLY improved (remember the 2 year plan starts next year) and even more important than that they BETTER be significantly better next year...

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2018, 10:14:01 PM »
Saw Bridges from Nova and the one on Mich St going 9 and 10 in a mock draft for this year. Good points on previous post Fordham.

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2018, 10:32:11 PM »
Saw Bridges from Nova and the one on Mich St going 9 and 10 in a mock draft for this year. Good points on previous post Fordham.

Understood, I listed a lot of Nova kids not sure all of them will return but the ones that do will be significant players on another great team. 

Marillac

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2018, 01:42:45 AM »

Complete insanity

Yeah we'll have some depth finally but we won't really be adding any impact players for next year. Dixon, Keita, and Brooks should be fine role players at best and wouldn't expect much out of Williams, Roberts or Diakite in their freshman seasons. If nobody very unexpected leaves we should make a jump but I don't think you realize just how many wins 25 is. Seton Hall might not get to 25 wins this season and our team next year won't be close to as good as they are this year

The Big East will be down next year. St. John's could make a run at worst to first if Nova loses Brunson and Spellman in addition to Bridges who is a goner.

That will come down to hiring a good assistant to get these guys playing in the right spots, playing zone, and cleaning the glass after every shot.

Hatten was playing at Tallahassee Community College as a soph, so don't count out Ponds as an upperclassman having the same impact with his experience.

Brooks is a basketball player. When was the last time we had one of those down low? Lamont Hamilton? We don't even have a kid that can make a back-to-the basket move or catch a dump off at the basket this year let alone command a double team. He doesn't have to be a star to space the floor for us.

We have a kid that went out and scored 37 pts on the #1 team in the country as an underweight sophomore. On 15-22 shooting from two! With nothing but a high ball screen. With no spacing. With no big man to dump it off to. While shooting 0-6 from three. He made Jalen Brunson look slow and he made Donte Divenenzo look like a d-3 defender. Then he comes back and drops 31 on the #6 team in the country on 9/13 from two and 12/20 overall. Who would stop this kid if he had someone clever enough to screen 6'8 235 Marvin Clark who hits almost 50% from three instead of a 205 lb Owens? How about a double screen from 6'9 240 Keita and 6'8 235 Clarke with a junior Ponds weighing in at 185?  Nobody.

goredmen

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2018, 01:51:24 AM »

Complete insanity

The Big East will be down next year. St. John's could make a run at worst to first if Nova loses Brunson and Spellman in addition to Bridges who is a goner.

That will come down to hiring a good assistant to get these guys playing in the right spots, playing zone, and cleaning the glass after every shot.

Hatten was playing at Tallahassee Community College as a soph, so don't count out Ponds as an upperclassman having the same impact with his experience.

Brooks is a basketball player. When was the last time we had one of those down low? Lamont Hamilton? We don't even have a kid that can make a back-to-the basket move or catch a dump off at the basket this year let alone command a double team. He doesn't have to be a star to space the floor for us.

We have a kid that went out and scored 37 pts on the #1 team in the country as an underweight sophomore. On 15-22 shooting from two! With nothing but a high ball screen. With no spacing. With no big man to dump it off to. While shooting 0-6 from three. He made Jalen Brunson look slow and he made Donte Divenenzo look like a d-3 defender. Then he comes back and drops 31 on the #6 team in the country on 9/13 from two and 12/20 overall. Who would stop this kid if he had someone clever enough to screen 6'8 235 Marvin Clark who hits almost 50% from three instead of a 205 lb Owens? How about a double screen from 6'9 240 Keita and 6'8 235 Clarke with a junior Ponds weighing in at 185?  Nobody.

We are 0-11 and adding some decent pieces but no real game changers right off the bat, and you're talking about make a run at winning the Big East next year. Take a step back, think this one through and realize the insanity of that

Johnny23

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2018, 08:42:14 AM »
I think the Johnnies will be the greatest turnaround story in the history of college hoops next year. Probably Final 4 bound if all these studs step up and play to their potential. It's not like these other teams are better than us or something. See how easy that is?  :)

Some of you need to put the pipe down. Yikes. You should be hoping that SJU tries to go .500 in the BE next year. That's a slightly realistic goal although I think even that may be a bit of a stretch. All the other talk is total other worldly delusion.

TONYD3

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2018, 09:00:31 AM »
We have lost our last 13 big east games. If you count the big east tournament we are 1-14 vs big east teams. The true believers have for the most part conceded the next 8 games. I will give our hall of fame coach the benefit of the doubt. Maybe we go 2-6 the rest of the way. That would make us 3- 20. Another loss in the big east 3-21.
What do you guys think about when you watch this team? We are last in 3 point shooting, but we still shoot at will. Our 3 point defense I think they said was the worst in the country.
We are minus 10 in rebound margin, lappas said “that is unheard of”
Donny Marshall at half time “st. John’s plays bad Basketball “

Patience - u all are crazy - or just lying to yourselves

Duke - Saturday- true believers better be in the building

Similar players coached by the same guys will produce similar results.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 09:03:38 AM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 09:18:26 AM »
We have lost our last 13 big east games. If you count the big east tournament we are 1-14 vs big east teams. The true believers have for the most part conceded the next 8 games. I will give our hall of fame coach the benefit of the doubt. Maybe we go 2-6 the rest of the way. That would make us 3- 20. Another loss in the big east 3-21.
What do you guys think about when you watch this team? We are last in 3 point shooting, but we still shoot at will. Our 3 point defense I think they said was the worst in the country.

I've noticed commentators (usually, the game analysis guy) haven't been holding back much whilst doing our games.

Well over the majority are only showing patience (I can bet you several of 'em don't believe in the coach, but just attempting to convince or lying to themselves) because it's Mullin.  If the coach was named Chris Miller, then most of those same folks (not all) would likely be talking about moving on once the season ended.

I hope the team is capable of winning 3 or 4 games (starting with Duke) the rest of the way.  It would be good for the psyche of the kids.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 09:19:22 AM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2018, 09:29:02 AM »
Mullin is a bad in-game coach.  Maybe he improves, but nobody should expect that given his near zero improvement in three years on the job.  Hiring the right assistant(s) and having a full roster is the only way to change the results, though our upside may be limited due to Mullin's X/O shortcomings.  His theoretical strengths as a coach are recruiting and player development.  Too early to tell if those actually are strengths, though he definitely puts in the required work. 

We can consistently make the tournament with some staff changes and some depth beginning next year.  To Fordham's point, that is the expectation - not an aspiration - going forward. 

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2018, 09:31:03 AM »

Baron Davis looked into the rafters at Pauley Pavilion last Friday during the Golden State Warriors' morning shoot-around and said, "We should have a banner up there: the only team to make the tournament without a coach."

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2018, 09:47:37 AM »
Mullin is a bad in-game coach.  Maybe he improves, but nobody should expect that given his near zero improvement in three years on the job.  Hiring the right assistant(s) and having a full roster is the only way to change the results, though our upside may be limited due to Mullin's X/O shortcomings.  His theoretical strengths as a coach are recruiting and player development.  Too early to tell if those actually are strengths, though he definitely puts in the required work. 

We can consistently make the tournament with some staff changes and some depth beginning next year.  To Fordham's point, that is the expectation - not an aspiration - going forward. 

Per early returns, in regards to his "theoretical strengths," he doesn't particularly do one and the other doesn't look too swift at the moment.

It could eventually change, but time will tell.

TONYD3

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2018, 09:48:08 AM »

Baron Davis looked into the rafters at Pauley Pavilion last Friday during the Golden State Warriors' morning shoot-around and said, "We should have a banner up there: the only team to make the tournament without a coach."
Agree with you . I don’t think lavin was a good coach. He was ok. Those UCLA teams should have been better. And his St. John’s teams should have been better. Huge difference from being ok or disappointing to this. Best 0-11 team in the country

Foad

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2018, 09:57:11 AM »

Agree with you . I don’t think lavin was a good coach. He was ok. Those UCLA teams should have been better. And his St. John’s teams should have been better. Huge difference from being ok or disappointing to this. Best 0-11 team in the country

Didn't you say that if Lavin was coaching this team they'd be in the tournament?

TONYD3

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2018, 10:08:25 AM »

Didn't you say that if Lavin was coaching this team they'd be in the tournament?
I don’t remember saying that . What I have said multiple times is we would dramtic improvement with a competent staff. Not rocket science to play 3 point defense. Also stop shooting so many bad shots. That change could happen almost instantly.

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2018, 10:17:13 AM »

I don't understand what this obsession is with Lavin.  I have no idea exactly where SJU would be if he was given an extension.

I do know this.

If I had told you that SJU fans had a choice abck in 2015 knowing what we know now:

1)They could keep Lavin, sign him to a 3 year extension and maybe work with him on a staff change or

2)Fire him and bring in another coach in which that other coach would be 32-55 overall, 8-38 in conference, would have a 1-17 first year record, be 0-11 and be headed for their 2nd last place appearance in 3 years in the middle of his 3rd year and have zero post season appearances.

Two choices.  Would you still choose #2?  If Lavin was this bad last year he would be on his way to being fired anyway.  He would have been allowed a step back year in 2015-16 to help replace the roster graduating off of his last team but he would have been expected to win right after that.  And maybe he doesn't, don't know.  He certainly had his faults.  But my larger point is there is no one after all the optimism of the early days who thought SJU would be here in year 3 of the Mullin era and that has nothing to do with Lavin and I honestly fail to see the reason why people bring up Baron Davis quotes...

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2018, 10:29:16 AM »

I don't understand what this obsession is with Lavin.  I have no idea exactly where SJU would be if he was given an extension.

I do know this.

If I had told you that SJU fans had a choice abck in 2015 knowing what we know now:

1)They could keep Lavin, sign him to a 3 year extension and maybe work with him on a staff change or

2)Fire him and bring in another coach in which that other coach would be 32-55 overall, 8-38 in conference, would have a 1-17 first year record, be 0-11 and be headed for their 2nd last place appearance in 3 years in the middle of his 3rd year and have zero post season appearances.

Two choices.  Would you still choose #2?  If Lavin was this bad last year he would be on his way to being fired anyway.  He would have been allowed a step back year in 2015-16 to help replace the roster graduating off of his last team but he would have been expected to win right after that.  And maybe he doesn't, don't know.  He certainly had his faults.  But my larger point is there is no one after all the optimism of the early days who thought SJU would be here in year 3 of the Mullin era and that has nothing to do with Lavin and I honestly fail to see the reason why people bring up Baron Davis quotes...

Because
Someone on here just repeatedly keeps posting the same thing over and over about Mullin quitting and he loved Lavin. So I did it to annoy him.
And anyway you aren't new here.
When Lavin was here people kept bashing Norm in defense of Lavin.
When Norm was here people kept bringing up Jarvis in defense of Norm.
Don't know what people were posting when Jarvis was here because I did not know these things existed. They were probably bashing Fran.