Game 24: #4 Duke

• 300 replies
Re: Game 24: #4 Duke
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 04:02:52 PM »
I could see sju getting out to some kind of lead in 1st half but lose somewhere in 10-12 point range.

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 04:03:40 PM »
we have an outside chance because Duke is very young and plays poor D.  There will be a lot of NBA scouts present and the one and dones will be playing for them which means selfish AAU play.  We have been close to a lot of good teams....I see a spread beater at the least.

NBA scouts have been at their games throughout the course of the season.  This won't hardly be their first rodeo playing in front of many, NBA scouts.

Its the garden and their will be more scouts than usual because scouts like good food.  Duke is talented but playing like shit, expect a close game.

They've won 6 of their last 7 including a road win at Miami. Apparently that qualifies as playing like shit these days

LOL 

Not to mention, they've only lost 3 games all season (two on the road....  one against a very, mediocre Boston College team and the other against an NC State team who is currently on the NCAA Tournament bubble).  Their other loss was against #2 Virginia last Saturday (at Duke) by two points.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 04:04:31 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 04:07:16 PM »
Who is going to deal with Bagley and Carter in the post? Blake Griffin and Drummond, maybe.

A difficult proposition but Bagley is soft and soft bigmen get their shots blocked

I don't think he's some tough big, but I also don't think he's soft.  I do know one thing....  Bagley is a straight-up balla.  None of our bigs are even in the same stratosphere as him.

cjfish

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2018, 04:32:09 PM »
we have an outside chance because Duke is very young and plays poor D.  There will be a lot of NBA scouts present and the one and dones will be playing for them which means selfish AAU play.  We have been close to a lot of good teams....I see a spread beater at the least.

Yes, they are not playing well, especially on the defensive end.  Of course they are winning, they are loaded with talent but that does not mean they are playing good ball.  They lost to BC, what does that tell you?

NBA scouts have been at their games throughout the course of the season.  This won't hardly be their first rodeo playing in front of many, NBA scouts.

Its the garden and their will be more scouts than usual because scouts like good food.  Duke is talented but playing like shit, expect a close game.

They've won 6 of their last 7 including a road win at Miami. Apparently that qualifies as playing like shit these days

LOL 

Not to mention, they've only lost 3 games all season (two on the road....  one against a very, mediocre Boston College team and the other against an NC State team who is currently on the NCAA Tournament bubble).  Their other loss was against #2 Virginia last Saturday (at Duke) by two points.

TONYD3

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 04:45:09 PM »
If Duke is playing shitty, AAU ball, poor defense. How is St. John's playing?

cjfish

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 04:49:37 PM »
Better than Duke but still poorly.  Cant teach size and talent, just use it.

Johnny23

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2018, 04:57:12 PM »
Who is going to deal with Bagley and Carter in the post? Blake Griffin and Drummond, maybe.

A difficult proposition but Bagley is soft and soft bigmen get their shots blocked

I don't think he's some tough big, but I also don't think he's soft.  I do know one thing....  Bagley is a straight-up balla.  None of our bigs are even in the same stratosphere as him.

Yeah definitely not soft, just a lot of finesse and smooth to his game. Top 3 pick in the draft.

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2018, 05:17:18 PM »
Duke 88 St Jons 69. Bagley with 28

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2018, 06:00:18 PM »
Maher Bronx Pale Ales 5. MSG $62.50

Marillac

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2018, 06:28:22 PM »
78-73 St. John's.

Ponds goes for 40.

goredmen

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2018, 06:40:25 PM »
78-73 St. John's.

Ponds goes for 40.

It's only 6:30. You shouldn't be black out drunk already. Long night ahead

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2018, 07:24:11 PM »

He meant compared to us.

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2018, 11:56:08 PM »
Duke is 10 point favorites tomorrow on road. Ouch!

Maybe Mullin will throw some different looks at Duke to help with  inside out play on defense.  Lmao

Poison

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2018, 12:23:13 AM »
Duke is 10 point favorites tomorrow on road. Ouch!

Maybe Mullin will throw some different looks at Duke to help with  inside out play on defense.  Lmao

It’s not fair to ask Chris Mullin to do St.Jean’s job.

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2018, 12:17:52 PM »
Need to keep running

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2018, 12:32:47 PM »
Need to keep running

I heard Steve Lappas on Mark Packer's show, "Off Campus with Mark Packer," yesterday.  If anyone isn't aware, he's Billy Packer's son.  Lappas was a good listen on the show yesterday.  He stated something that I also noticed since Duke has become more reliant on freshman players in the past few years. 

He mentioned (paraphrased), "Duke is extremely talented, but they're also very young.  So, they have trouble consistently playing man-to-man defense, as many young kids nowadays coming into the college game."  He went on to mention about Coach K, who has recently started playing more zone, will probably imploy more zone throughout the rest of the season.

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2018, 12:40:44 PM »
Ponds may have to seek his inner Trae Young, if we're gonna have any chance.

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2018, 12:52:00 PM »
Clark 0 rebounds

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2018, 01:02:09 PM »
As a team they can't hit clutch FTs

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2018, 01:04:32 PM »
As a team they can't hit clutch FTs

I knew he was going to miss that. Him and Clark missing are really annoying because they are good foul shooters. But yes not one guy on team I trust to make a big free throw. Would have been nice to be down 5. But kept it close for half more than you could expect or even hope.