Lessons from the Duke Game

• 72 replies

hnk

Lessons from the Duke Game
« on: February 04, 2018, 11:54:37 AM »
1. Trust the process

2. Never, never ever give up.

3. Pick and roll.  Go inside and then outside.   Tariq can be a weapon for easy buckets inside.

4. Shot selection matters.

5. MSG is the world's greatest arena and a recruiting magnet.

6. Currently, we have great character kids playing for us.

7. Waiting until next year may be worth the wait with some highlights along the road.

8.  You need more than six players to compete regularly.

Re: Lessons from the Duke Game
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 12:08:06 PM »
9. Shamorie Ponds has Big East Player of the Year potential.

hnk

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 12:10:27 PM »
Next year for sure with a full squad to draw some attention.

TONYD3

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 12:10:38 PM »
1. MSG was awesome. Plus our fans were great . Outnumbered by a lot but plenty loud.

2. Trust the process is non sense. Great game coach. One game doesn’t change the entire season. We play .500 the rest of the season. That will quiet some people.

3. This team has talent. We won yesterday. This wasn’t an incredible upset. Our good players played well. They played hard and smart. Coaches and players deserve credit. It’s nit bad luck when we lose certainly not good luck that we won. That was an earned victory.

4. Yakwe- I think we need to give him more minutes. Guys are going to need a break.

5. Still think coaches suck- hope I can be proven wrong. Only went yesterday because we didn’t sell our tickets. Was not going to go to any more games. Hopeful we play ok vs nova. Looking forward to Saturday’s game. I will be there

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 12:25:33 PM »
Agreed, there is no “trust the process” especially in regards to getting better players. In the nba, teams lose to get a better chance of getting a player who can be a franchise player.  In college, more winning, means bringing in better players, or  at  least bringing in the right players who are good enough to make a difference.  Yesterday’s win did not further the process, unless it spring boards rest of season with wins.  The process only moves in right direction, if Brooks comes and staff is rebuilt. However, I’m ecstatic they won yesterday, especially since  I got to see it at the garden.

ras

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 12:33:41 PM »
Agreed, there is no “trust the process” especially in regards to getting better players. In the nba, teams lose to get a better chance of getting a player who can be a franchise player.  In college, more winning, means bringing in better players, or  at  least bringing in the right players who are good enough to make a difference.  Yesterday’s win did not further the process, unless it spring boards rest of season with wins.  The process only moves in right direction, if Brooks comes and staff is rebuilt. However, I’m ecstatic they won yesterday, especially since  I got to see it at the garden.
I agree in regards to ,we have to build upon our win. Tough next game. Still think we have the talent to have a descent rest of year. But if  only win 1 BE game, this win becomes useless. I also think the team is learning how to play wo Lovett.

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 12:43:31 PM »
Yesterday's win was tremendous for the program, for morale, for recruiting, for possible transfers(both coming and going), for the staff, for the students, for the fans, for the Big East and for NYC. If you can't see that, maybe you should go talk anal with we are sju

Poison

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 12:44:57 PM »
2 Duke fans sitting behind me were convinced that Grayson Allen is a lottery pick. I wouldn’t take that scrub in the NBDL lottery.

So, by comparison maybe some of the fans here aren’t so nuts?

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 12:56:37 PM »
Yesterday's win was tremendous for the program, for morale, for recruiting, for possible transfers(both coming and going), for the staff, for the students, for the fans, for the Big East and for NYC. If you can't see that, maybe you should go talk anal with we are sju

Haha!  I'm laughing at your latter quote.

The other stuff you said remains to be seen.  We won't know till the end of the season how much yesterday's win helped morale and until we see where our recruiting goes from here.

Otherwise, it was a great win for the players, staff, school and fans.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 12:57:52 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 01:21:45 PM »

Amen

ras

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 01:28:31 PM »

A much needed win. Helps negate this bad season. But in and off itself it won’t do much. Unless the confidence boost helps us close out the season w wins, which I think we can do. OTOH, a repeat of Jan., which I don’t think will happen, will make this W an afterthought. It’s not time to bring out the Champaign, as good as yesterday was.  Just being realistic. But, hoping for the best. The recruits at the game did witness an awesome experience, but it is only 1 game.

redslope

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 01:50:30 PM »
2 Duke fans sitting behind me were convinced that Grayson Allen is a lottery pick. I wouldn’t take that scrub in the NBDL lottery.

So, by comparison maybe some of the fans here aren’t so nuts?

LOL--how drunk were they??

Loved the game and saw a lot of blue in my section--too many folks sold out on the Redmen.  We were loving it and totally spent/hoarse/elated at end of game.  Was extremely happy for the kids--they have never quit--that is what I take out of this.  Now let's get a few more wins

SJUFAN

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 03:40:05 PM »
Players need to execute, period. Duke is a terrible man v man team, and we gave them a heavy dose of pick and rolls. Coach rat face refuses to play zone. They tried and in two possessions, Ahmed hit a wide open corner three and Clark made a wide open jumper from the elbow. He went back to man v man. It's not his system, probably doesn't waste practice time on it. So was coach K out coached? or did our players execute? 

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 03:44:17 PM »
1. MSG was awesome. Plus our fans were great . Outnumbered by a lot but plenty loud.

2. Trust the process is non sense. Great game coach. One game doesn’t change the entire season. We play .500 the rest of the season. That will quiet some people.

3. This team has talent. We won yesterday. This wasn’t an incredible upset. Our good players played well. They played hard and smart. Coaches and players deserve credit. It’s nit bad luck when we lose certainly not good luck that we won. That was an earned victory.

4. Yakwe- I think we need to give him more minutes. Guys are going to need a break.

5. Still think coaches suck- hope I can be proven wrong. Only went yesterday because we didn’t sell our tickets. Was not going to go to any more games. Hopeful we play ok vs nova. Looking forward to Saturday’s game. I will be there

How could you say it wasn't an incredible upset? St John's lost 11 straight, Duke was #4 in the country with 2 lottery picks and 2 more potential first rounders. No need to downplay a very good win and the biggest upset we've had in 7 years.

Foad

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 04:19:03 PM »
1. Do not take joy in anything, even in St john's beating Dook at MSG on national television.

2. If you see someone else taking joy in something, remind them how bad things are and point out how much worse they might become. For example, if you see an excited and happy fan leaviing MSG after St John's beats dwek on national television, remind him that there were no basketball teams in Treblinka and that even if there were the SS would be prohibitive favorites, since most prisoners weighed less than Tariq Owens.

3. Pegging is gay. However, having a prostate exam is not, unless you pay extra for it. On a related note Marco Baldi is a closeted St John's fan.

4. Other than the MAAC, the BE is the best conference in college basketball.

5, When St John's looses [sic] it's because Chris Mullin is garbage. When St John's wins, it's despite that.

6. Mike Schrwshrenki is a bad winner and a sore loser.

7. Lots of jive ass, turkeys, who are tough guys, when they're hiding behind, their computers, wouldn't dare say that to a posters, face, would you, you punks.

8. If Tonyd3 tells you he's going to meet you for drinks by the men's room, he isn't. So bring your own flask.

9. Marvin Bagley is soft. Wendell Carter is not.

10. Howard Garfinkel is still dead.

11. WASJU still cannot hit the curve ball.

12. A photo of a naked woman being crucified generates less web traffic than one of Kelly Cuoco in a teddy.

TONYD3

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 04:58:03 PM »

How could you say it wasn't an incredible upset? St John's lost 11 straight, Duke was #4 in the country with 2 lottery picks and 2 more potential first rounders. No need to downplay a very good win and the biggest upset we've had in 7 years.

This isn’t the miracle on ice. Our players played well. All of them. Ponds was the best player on the court. Ahmed and Owens played great. They played hard they played smart. Our role players didn’t play much but they didn’t lose us this game. Remember when Amar missed those 3 pointers? No because that didn’t happen. How many bad shots did we take yesterday? Not that many
Did we get killed on the boards? No! Did we play defense? Yes
That isn’t magic. The team played well. They deserve respect and congratulations. Was it an upset ? Of course . But our players have talent. They weren’t lucky. They kicked duke’s ass.

hnk

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 05:02:27 PM »
In fairness, we did take a few bad shots yesterday....(though not as many as usual) NBA threes etc., but a bunch of them went in.

Foad

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 05:27:55 PM »
This isn’t the miracle on ice. Our players played well. All of them. Ponds was the best player on the court. Ahmed and Owens played great. They played hard they played smart. Our role players didn’t play much but they didn’t lose us this game. Remember when Amar missed those 3 pointers? No because that didn’t happen. How many bad shots did we take yesterday? Not that many
That isn’t magic. The team played well. They deserve respect and congratulations. Was it an upset ? Of course . But our players have talent. They weren’t lucky. They kicked duke’s ass.

I agree with you somewhat in theory. That is, that St John's was not lucky: they deserved to win because they outplayed dook - and but for the FT differential and odd officiating the score might have have been quite different, because dook got the benefit of a bunch of dubious calls. (As an odd happenstance I saw the miracle on ice in person and those guys weren't "lucky" either.) But the thing is, had they lost yesterday all the doom sayers would have been out in force positing the loss as further proof that Mullin stinks and the staff stinks and the players stink and all of it that we've heard ad nauseum for a month. Maybe Mullin does stink and Richmond need to be fired and maybe St Jean is a clown. Or maybe some other things are in play. What's passing strange is how emotionally invested some fans - not you particularly, although "This wasn’t an incredible upset" is an odd take - are in their narrative being correct, as opposed to being happy when the team they allegedly root for wins a game that they were sure they were going to lose, quite emphatically.

TONYD3

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2018, 06:30:26 PM »

I agree with you somewhat in theory. That is, that St John's was not lucky: they deserved to win because they outplayed dook - and but for the FT differential and odd officiating the score might have have been quite different, because dook got the benefit of a bunch of dubious calls. (As an odd happenstance I saw the miracle on ice in person and those guys weren't "lucky" either.) But the thing is, had they lost yesterday all the doom sayers would have been out in force positing the loss as further proof that Mullin stinks and the staff stinks and the players stink and all of it that we've heard ad nauseum for a month. Maybe Mullin does stink and Richmond need to be fired and maybe St Jean is a clown. Or maybe some other things are in play. What's passing strange is how emotionally invested some fans - not you particularly, although "This wasn’t an incredible upset" is an odd take - are in their narrative being correct, as opposed to being happy when the team they allegedly root for wins a game that they were sure they were going to lose, quite emphatically.
Foady- u need to earn free throws. Not always the referee. We need to be more aggressive and we were as the game went on. The team played well and coached well. Plenty of mistakes, I admit I was looking for them. Coach k and staff made mistakes also.

Man tits (don’t ever want to say his name again) might still be here if he won more instead of losing close. We played well down the stretch. If we came out of a time out and turned the ball over and losted . I may have changed the bench I was close enough.

Foad

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2018, 08:19:37 PM »
Foady- u need to earn free throws. Not always the referee.

Yah, dook never gets the benefit of the doubt. They made more FT's than SJ attempted. Ponds took 23 shots, 15 in traffic and moving toward the basket: he shot 7 FTs. Simon took 11 shots, shot 2 FTs. Carter took six shots, shot eight FTs. Allen took 7 shots, shot six FTs. Come on now.

Idle question: what do you have to do to earn a goal tending?