Lessons from the Duke Game

• 72 replies

TONYD3

Re: Lessons from the Duke Game
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2018, 08:48:05 PM »
Foady- u need to earn free throws. Not always the referee.

Yah, dook never gets the benefit of the doubt. They made more FT's than SJ attempted. Ponds took 23 shots, 15 in traffic and moving toward the basket: he shot 7 FTs. Simon took 11 shots, shot 2 FTs. Carter took six shots, shot eight FTs. Allen took 7 shots, shot six FTs. Come on now.

Idle question: what do you have to do to earn a goal tending?
Hate duke . Watched the 99 game on YouTube last year. Still mad about the calls. Like 4 of our players fouled out that day. We earned no fouls vs nova last year. Almost happened again this year.
Agree with the goal tending. Plenty of benefits to playing duke . Calls are going to be even worse at Cameron next year.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2018, 10:50:43 PM »
2 Duke fans sitting behind me were convinced that Grayson Allen is a lottery pick. I wouldn’t take that scrub in the NBDL lottery.

So, by comparison maybe some of the fans here aren’t so nuts?

LOL--how drunk were they??

These were college-aged kids from Great Neck. They, like every Duke fan I’ve ever met don’t understand what they are looking at.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 10:52:03 PM by Poison »

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2018, 10:59:21 PM »
1. MSG was awesome. Plus our fans were great . Outnumbered by a lot but plenty loud.

2. Trust the process is non sense. Great game coach. One game doesn’t change the entire season. We play .500 the rest of the season. That will quiet some people.

3. This team has talent. We won yesterday. This wasn’t an incredible upset. Our good players played well. They played hard and smart. Coaches and players deserve credit. It’s nit bad luck when we lose certainly not good luck that we won. That was an earned victory.

4. Yakwe- I think we need to give him more minutes. Guys are going to need a break.

5. Still think coaches suck- hope I can be proven wrong. Only went yesterday because we didn’t sell our tickets. Was not going to go to any more games. Hopeful we play ok vs nova. Looking forward to Saturday’s game. I will be there
when we haven't won 1 conference game or won a game since last year and you play Duke if this wasn't an incredible upset I dont know what is

This was one of the best and most satisfying games for SJU I've ever been to. Top 3 for sure. I literally thought we had no chance of winning
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 10:59:55 PM by mjmaherjr »

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 02:53:57 AM »
We had em talkin.  Heard about this game unsolicited from 5 unlikely sources. And I'm a loner.

Really wish I went to this one.

pmg911

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 08:43:11 AM »
I think the biggest thing this shows is that we are much better then 0 - 10 in conference play....

Season was done as soon as Lovett went down, the team could never afford to lose 14.9PPG

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2018, 09:13:29 AM »
SJU SOS rank is #5 in the country.  And they have the #2 RPI team this week Villanova.

In fact in a week span they will play (current rankings) the #3 RPI team (Xavier), the #8 team (Duke) and the #2 team (Nova).

And ironically Duke's RPI dropped several spots BECAUSE THEY LOST to SJU...or else their ranking would be higher.

cjfish

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2018, 10:14:53 AM »
You are what your record says you are....Parcells.  However, this team is very capable when they play decently for a full 40 as they did in this game.  Great performance.  Amazing what you can do if you avoid poorly played long stretches.

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2018, 11:31:23 AM »
If we can somehow go 4-3 the rest of the way going into BET we finish 15-16 4-14. BE record obviously disappointing but I predicted 18 wins which was around what most people thought. Considering Lovett thing 15 wins is not that far off where we would have liked to have been.

As far as takeaways, win only verified that Tony, Dinkins and Celtics are the worst "fans" in ST john's history.  Pretty big accomplishment beating out Baldi, Realfan and hard charging Poison.

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2018, 12:34:41 PM »
If we can somehow go 4-3 the rest of the way going into BET we finish 15-16 4-14. BE record obviously disappointing but I predicted 18 wins which was around what most people thought. Considering Lovett thing 15 wins is not that far off where we would have liked to have been.

As far as takeaways, win only verified that Tony, Dinkins and Celtics are the worst "fans" in ST john's history.  Pretty big accomplishment beating out Baldi, Realfan and hard charging Poison.

You're the stupidest and can't comprehend jack.  Congrats! 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 12:34:54 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 01:04:11 PM »

As usual your contribution to the board is useless. You can't even insult people in a comprehensive manner.
If not for Tony you would be worst poster on either board. Keep trying though you are closing the gap.

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2018, 01:07:00 PM »

As usual your contribution to the board is useless. You can't even insult people in a comprehensive manner.
If not for Tony you would be worst poster on either board. Keep trying though you are closing the gap.

You don't ever contribute anything other than corny ass jokes and a heap of fallacies.  I wouldn't expect you to understand anything.
  Stupid ass.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 01:07:55 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2018, 01:10:14 PM »
Biggest lesson is to be under control in crunch time. I was impressed that we worked the clock. Didn’t take any wild shots and drove to the hoop

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2018, 01:29:36 PM »

You don't ever contribute anything other than corny ass jokes and a heap of fallacies.  I wouldn't expect you to understand anything.
  Stupid ass.

You know if you really think everyone that thinks you are an idiot is a "Stupid ass", I am pretty sure you are surrounded by "Stupid asses" all day long.
As far as my jokes, I will try to dumb them down for you so you can follow along. Maybe throw in some knock knock  and fart jokes for you.

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2018, 01:36:36 PM »

Stupid ass.

You know if you really think everyone that thinks you are an idiot is a "Stupid ass", I am pretty sure you are surrounded by "Stupid asses" all day long.
As far as my jokes, I will try to dumb them down for you so you can follow along. Maybe throw in some knock knock  and fart jokes for you.

I don't care what a few insignificant people think of me because they can't handle my personality.  Those are the ones who don't matter to me.  Kinda like you.  Speaking of stupidity, I'm "surrounded" by your ditzy ass daily on here.  Thanks for admitting your stupidity. 

Nah, no reason to dumb 'em down.  They're just unfunny.  Thanks anyway. 

I don't wanna take up too much of the forum time with this.  If you have anything personal or beef with me, then you're (and, any others you claim who think I'm an "idiot") welcome to say it to me personally. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 01:40:28 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2018, 01:41:58 PM »

Stupid ass.

I don't care what a few insignificant people think of me because they can't handle my personality.  Those are the ones who don't matter to me.  Kinda like you.  Speaking of stupidity, I'm "surrounded" by your ditzy ass daily on here.  Thanks for admitting your stupidity. 

Nah, no reason to dumb 'em down.  They're just unfunny.  Thanks anyway. 

I don't wanna take up too much of the forum time with this.  If you have anything personal or beef with me, then you're (and, any others you claim who think I'm an "idiot") welcome to say it to me personally. 

Ok I will send you a picture of my mailbox and we can meet there.

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2018, 01:50:15 PM »
1. Do not take joy in anything, even in St john's beating Dook at MSG on national television.

2. If you see someone else taking joy in something, remind them how bad things are and point out how much worse they might become. For example, if you see an excited and happy fan leaviing MSG after St John's beats dwek on national television, remind him that there were no basketball teams in Treblinka and that even if there were the SS would be prohibitive favorites, since most prisoners weighed less than Tariq Owens.

3. Pegging is gay. However, having a prostate exam is not, unless you pay extra for it. On a related note Marco Baldi is a closeted St John's fan.

4. Other than the MAAC, the BE is the best conference in college basketball.

5, When St John's looses [sic] it's because Chris Mullin is garbage. When St John's wins, it's despite that.

6. Mike Schrwshrenki is a bad winner and a sore loser.

7. Lots of jive ass, turkeys, who are tough guys, when they're hiding behind, their computers, wouldn't dare say that to a posters, face, would you, you punks.

8. If Tonyd3 tells you he's going to meet you for drinks by the men's room, he isn't. So bring your own flask.

9. Marvin Bagley is soft. Wendell Carter is not.

10. Howard Garfinkel is still dead.

11. WASJU still cannot hit the curve ball.

12. A photo of a naked woman being crucified generates less web traffic than one of Kelly Cuoco in a teddy.

Number 7 sounds awfully like Huggy Bear of the famed Starsky and Hutch ... do i win a prize?

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2018, 01:55:03 PM »
1. Do not take joy in anything, even in St john's beating Dook at MSG on national television.

2. If you see someone else taking joy in something, remind them how bad things are and point out how much worse they might become. For example, if you see an excited and happy fan leaviing MSG after St John's beats dwek on national television, remind him that there were no basketball teams in Treblinka and that even if there were the SS would be prohibitive favorites, since most prisoners weighed less than Tariq Owens.

3. Pegging is gay. However, having a prostate exam is not, unless you pay extra for it. On a related note Marco Baldi is a closeted St John's fan.

4. Other than the MAAC, the BE is the best conference in college basketball.

5, When St John's looses [sic] it's because Chris Mullin is garbage. When St John's wins, it's despite that.

6. Mike Schrwshrenki is a bad winner and a sore loser.

7. Lots of jive ass, turkeys, who are tough guys, when they're hiding behind, their computers, wouldn't dare say that to a posters, face, would you, you punks.

8. If Tonyd3 tells you he's going to meet you for drinks by the men's room, he isn't. So bring your own flask.

9. Marvin Bagley is soft. Wendell Carter is not.

10. Howard Garfinkel is still dead.

11. WASJU still cannot hit the curve ball.

12. A photo of a naked woman being crucified generates less web traffic than one of Kelly Cuoco in a teddy.

11. Threw them for strikes more in College that is for sure.

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2018, 02:07:30 PM »

Even before going that far to 4-3 ... and I obviously recognize this is a facetious hypothetical ... what if St John's miraculously beats # 1 Nova in Nova ... For me, I couldn't care what else happened the rest of the year ... but such a miracle may be the ultimate conundrum for NIT selectors ... me thinks ...

johnniesfilmmaker

• Aspiring filmmaker
    • Through the Viewfinder
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2018, 02:16:31 PM »
In the 2016-17 NIT, these three teams made the tournament

Indiana: 18-16 (7-11)
Clemson: 17-16 (6-12)
Colorado: 19-15 (8-12)

If we can beat Marquette twice, DePaul, Seton Hall, and Butler (Vengeance game for Ponds) we'll be 5-13 in the conference and 16-15 overall. All of those teams won a game in the conference tournaments. If we can win two, we'll be 18-15 and 7-13 in the conference. IU's SOS was 8.15 and was 51st out of 351. Our SOS is currently 9.84 and is the 5th strongest in the country according to sports-reference.com and CBS sports behind Vanderbilt, Kansas, Temple, and North Carolina.

If we finish 5-2 and win two games in the Big East Tournament, we can still make the NIT and if all things break right, we could finish in 7th. Hopefully this Duke game did a lot, and what we all hope, for this team because there's no reason they can't finish 5-2, beat Georgetown in Round 1 of Big East Tourney and try to upset Villanova. Would be amazing to watch Marquette fall apart and get us to 7th where we can beat DePaul in Round 1 then try to upset Xavier who we've played very tough losing by 6 and 5. Could even draw Seton Hall if we pulled that off and how sweet would it be to upset Seton Hall to go to the Big East Finals. I'm dreaming on that, I know.

But finish 5-2, win a game in the Big East tournament and the NIT is a possibility, win two games and we should be there. The Big East might get 7 teams into the NCAA Tournament and another into the NIT for 80% playing in a major postseason tournament.

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2018, 02:39:29 PM »

Even before going that far to 4-3 ... and I obviously recognize this is a facetious hypothetical ... what if St John's miraculously beats # 1 Nova in Nova ... For me, I couldn't care what else happened the rest of the year ... but such a miracle may be the ultimate conundrum for NIT selectors ... me thinks ...

We were due for some breaks and we caught them.  Finally hit SOME free throws down the stretch. Didn't get totally screwed by refs against Duke on a neutral court. Missed goaltending call notwithstanding. And for first time since Lovett thing got someone to play Robin to Ponds Batman. Two of them actually.  I don't think that carries over to Nova but would like to see them maybe we 2 or 3 of others. Would have them on right track for next year.