Nova Game

• 176 replies

ras

Re: Nova Game
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2018, 11:23:56 PM »
Great win. Let's enjoy it. But let's also cool it with NCAA Tournament talk. It is not happening. Even if we win out during the regular season we'd still have work to do in the BET to get in. Going 4-2 over the last 6 and we have to win BET to get in. 4-2 plus a loss in the BET championship game puts us at an 8-14 overall conference record. That doesn't even put us in the conversation

Stop peeing in our Wheaties.

This was an incredible and franky, astonishing win. If you can win at Nova why shouldn’t you believe you can beat anyone? Isn’t that what we want our guys to think?

I didn't say anything about who we can or can't beat. All I said was being 1-11 and talking about getting an at large bid to the NCAA Tournament is insane
I’m not saying we will make the tourney. But if a poster said we would have lost a nail biter to Xavier, than beat Nova and Duke, he would have been considered delusional.

Marillac

« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2018, 11:41:04 PM »
Great win. Let's enjoy it. But let's also cool it with NCAA Tournament talk. It is not happening. Even if we win out during the regular season we'd still have work to do in the BET to get in. Going 4-2 over the last 6 and we have to win BET to get in. 4-2 plus a loss in the BET championship game puts us at an 8-14 overall conference record. That doesn't even put us in the conversation

You have no idea what you're talking about. We are going to finish with the #1 SOS. 5 wins means a top 45 RPI and a strong finish. Let me know the last time a high major was left out with a top 50 RPI. We have two of the biggest resume wins you can ask for. We also lost a bunch of close games adjusting to losing our second leading scorer. We'd check every box the committee looks for.

Now whether we can go 5-2 or 6-2 is another story. 

Dan

« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2018, 12:27:27 AM »
You'd have to win the BET, 0-11 is far too big of a hole to dig out of.  Now if you kept this up and fell just short of the BE title, you could make an NIT argument, which would be beyond my wildest expectations of where I thought they'd be after 0-11.  These were great wins...this one even better than Duke since it was #1 on the road, Big East play.  Let's see if it keeps up or if they let down/revert back before we start talking about the postseason in earnest, however.  Still it's nice to see great wins after such a poor showing. 

Marillac

« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2018, 12:44:29 AM »
You'd have to win the BET, 0-11 is far too big of a hole to dig out of.  Now if you kept this up and fell just short of the BE title, you could make an NIT argument, which would be beyond my wildest expectations of where I thought they'd be after 0-11.  These were great wins...this one even better than Duke since it was #1 on the road, Big East play.  Let's see if it keeps up or if they let down/revert back before we start talking about the postseason in earnest, however.  Still it's nice to see great wins after such a poor showing. 

False. Anything over .500 and we're NIT bound. We have the #3 SOS in the country and we will likely have the #1 with a few more wins (so losses to us don't kill our former opponents).

Georgia made it to the dance with a 16-14 record in like 2001 because they had a top 5 SOS.  Vanderbilt made it last year with 15 losses because they had a top 50 RPI and strong SOS.

5-1 to finish and 1-1 in the BET likely gets us in the dance. 5-1 and 2-1 guarantees it.

That kind of finish seems incredibly unlikely, but a little positivity after an 0-11 start won't kill anyone.

« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2018, 01:17:29 AM »
Great win hearing from people have not talk in years.

goredmen

« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2018, 01:51:09 AM »

You have no idea what you're talking about. We are going to finish with the #1 SOS. 5 wins means a top 45 RPI and a strong finish. Let me know the last time a high major was left out with a top 50 RPI. We have two of the biggest resume wins you can ask for. We also lost a bunch of close games adjusting to losing our second leading scorer. We'd check every box the committee looks for.

Ok, let's say for the sake argument we go 4-2 in the last 6 regular season games with the losses @ Marquette and @Providence. That puts us at 5-13. That means we play Wednesday against Georgetown or DePaul. Win that, play Thursday vs Nova or Xavier. Let's say we win that too because why not. Friday night the fatigue from a short rotation shows and we lose to Butler. That puts us at 7-14 in conference and 18-15 overall. That doesn't get us in the conversation.

Last year Providence was 20-12 overall, 10-9 in conference. Barely got them in.

Yes, good wins count for a lot by the committee. But so do bad losses. We have 3 of those right now too.

Marillac

« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2018, 03:00:53 AM »

Ok, let's say for the sake argument we go 4-2 in the last 6 regular season games with the losses @ Marquette and @Providence. That puts us at 5-13. That means we play Wednesday against Georgetown or DePaul. Win that, play Thursday vs Nova or Xavier. Let's say we win that too because why not. Friday night the fatigue from a short rotation shows and we lose to Butler. That puts us at 7-14 in conference and 18-15 overall. That doesn't get us in the conversation.

Yes, good wins count for a lot by the committee. But so do bad losses. We have 3 of those right now too.

Comparing us to Providence last year shows that you don't understand the math. Providence had the #61 RPI and the #50 SOS last year. We would be top 45 RPI and #1 SOS with 6 more wins. The only two good comps would be 16-14 Georgia from over a decade ago and 19-15 Vanderbilt from last year. Both had top 50 RPIs and a top 5 SOS. Wed have that and two February wins over top 5 teams in a 4 day span.

4-2 won't get it done. 5-1 with a BET win or a 6-0 finish regardless of what happens in the BET would get us in.

Again, I don't expect us to win 5-6 to close things out, but you bet your arse there will be an article talking about our chances to dance if we win the next three games and have 2/3 left at home and a date with #10 Depaul in the first round of the BET.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2018, 03:03:50 AM »

We have to run the table for the rest of the year and win at least 1 game in the big east tournament to even have an shot. That would put us at 19-14 overall with wins against Duke, Villanova on the road, Seton Hall, Marquette (twice), PC on the road, and Butler.

That to me may get us in. Anything other than that I think we'd be out barring winning the Big East tournament which we simply do not have the depth to do in my opinion. You can't play 6 guys and win 4 games in 4 days against top competition. So basically we have to win out for the regular season. I have no expectation of that happening, but hey, we had a 0.3% of winning the past two games so you never know.....

Rodman

« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2018, 03:38:18 AM »

Two great wins in a row! Someone has to convince the team Marquette is ranked second or third in the nation.

+100

« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2018, 03:46:20 AM »
An incredible 5 days that one could only dream about. Gonna remember this week for a long time.

« Reply #111 on: February 08, 2018, 04:29:54 AM »
https://nypost.com/2018/02/07/st-johns-stuns-no-1-villanova/

There was no wild celebration after the victory. A few players exited the locker room with smiles, but nothing over the top. St. John’s is just getting started.

“We can’t go backwards,” Ponds said. “We have to keep going up and up.”

« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2018, 06:28:13 AM »
One game at a time, gotta take out Marquette

« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2018, 07:34:39 AM »
Clark and Simon were to this game what’ve Tariq’s and Ahmed were vs Duke. Shamorie is shamorie. Collectively rebound and keep up solid shot selection and our 5 can play with anyone.
Clark chose a hell of a time to grab some big boards. Keep it up Big fella.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2018, 07:39:41 AM »
Keeping the players’ heads up during such a challenging season is something you have to commend staff for. Mullin may not be Wooden, but he never had any quit in him as a player & that quality clearly was evident in his players during this “death march”. We’ll see how his tenure evolves, but for now kudos for holding this together.

« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2018, 07:41:36 AM »
What a game! Great game plan also attacking Spellman when he switched onto a guard.

paultzman

« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2018, 07:57:30 AM »
Clark is not perfect, but spirited guy:

https://twitter.com/b_rabold/status/961477394417713152

« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2018, 07:58:01 AM »
These wins are quite the bright spot on what had been for me the most gut wrenching season to watch for me as a fan. It's been clear all year that this team could play and had talent. That's why 0-11 hurt so bad. Winning these last two were sweet.

Regarding the tournament, how can anyone completely rule it out after we just beat Duke and Nova in a row? I want our guys to believe they can win the BET, which quite honestly, I can't even rule out after how they've played the last 2 games.

« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2018, 08:04:11 AM »
Realistically, NIT is a possibility. Which should be looked at as a successful season, especially after starting 0-11.

« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2018, 09:06:58 AM »
The biggest things you can take from this past week are:

1)The team has not quit in any way shape or form.  That is a credit to Chris and the staff.  That doesn't excuse the 0-11 start but it shows that people who actually thought he would resign or wanted to be somewhere else were wrong.  He is 100% into this.  That is big.  As Tierney tweeted last night, CM did not come back to his alma mater to be embarrassed.  His goal was to make SJU relevant again Nationally.  Has not been the smoothest ride but we may be seeing it finally turn now.  And he is not quitting until that happens.

2)The argument that they are close because of close losses has much more credibility now than before.  If you win 4-5 then you can plausibly argue that they were a play or two away in 4-5 more games,  Heck can you imagine if they made a play or two late at home against Xavier, you could have had 3 straight wins in a week over top 5 teams...

3)The 2 year plan is now not just a plan but becoming a clearer reality.  Now if they hold the class together and keep the core (Ponds, Clark, Owens, Simon etc) the significant jump they can make next year doesn't look so daunting...