Nova Game

• 176 replies
Re: Nova Game
« Reply #160 on: February 09, 2018, 09:41:19 PM »
Reality check here.  No team with 15 losses has ever received an at large bid.  I'm betting no team with an 11 game losing streak has either.  Choice is simple.  Wow the committee by winning out in the regular season and at least 2 in the BET or win the BET.  No other options, #1 SOS or not.  And getting into the NIT is going to require being at least a couple games over .500 as well.  At present the RPI/Committee record is still 11-13, Molloy doesn't count.  That means 5-1 finish and 1-1 BET to even make the NIT.

Could you possibly squeeze anymore wrong into one post? You think we need to go 5-1 and 1-1 to make the NIT!!!! Have you ever heard of RPI before? 5-1 and 1-1 is a goddamn #1 seed in the NIT if we aren't in the dance. Some of you are just clueless.

There is no way a team that went 7-13 in their conference with 2 losses to Georgetown and a loss to DePaul is even in the conversation for the NCAA Tournament. RPI is just one of like 8 things the committee will look at this year.

Agreed.  Georgia was 9-7 in the SEC in 2001 and Vandy was 10-8 last year in SEC, the
All but impossible to make it with a league record 4+ games under .500 and with 3 bad losses against non-top 100 RPI teams.

Let's stop NCAA and NIT talk.  Let's just get a few wins and hold the class together and set up for strong 2019 class.  There is hope but let's not get carried away.  If it happens fine but the NIT or NCAA is not the current short term goal.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #161 on: February 09, 2018, 10:56:09 PM »
SJU finishes over 500 they will make the NIT. If they finish with momentum they will be fun to watch, and the NIT will be inclined to have them in the tournament.

Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #162 on: February 09, 2018, 11:08:04 PM »
Nobody wants to face St Johns now at the Garden in the Big East tournament. Win the tournament

Marillac

« Reply #163 on: February 09, 2018, 11:28:19 PM »
Reality check here.  No team with 15 losses has ever received an at large bid.  I'm betting no team with an 11 game losing streak has either.  Choice is simple.  Wow the committee by winning out in the regular season and at least 2 in the BET or win the BET.  No other options, #1 SOS or not.  And getting into the NIT is going to require being at least a couple games over .500 as well.  At present the RPI/Committee record is still 11-13, Molloy doesn't count.  That means 5-1 finish and 1-1 BET to even make the NIT.

Could you possibly squeeze anymore wrong into one post? You think we need to go 5-1 and 1-1 to make the NIT!!!! Have you ever heard of RPI before? 5-1 and 1-1 is a goddamn #1 seed in the NIT if we aren't in the dance. Some of you are just clueless.

There is no way a team that went 7-13 in their conference with 2 losses to Georgetown and a loss to DePaul is even in the conversation for the NCAA Tournament. RPI is just one of like 8 things the committee will look at this year.

Agreed.  Georgia was 9-7 in the SEC in 2001 and Vandy was 10-8 last year in SEC, the
All but impossible to make it with a league record 4+ games under .500 and with 3 bad losses against non-top 100 RPI teams.

Let's stop NCAA and NIT talk.  Let's just get a few wins and hold the class together and set up for strong 2019 class.  There is hope but let's not get carried away.  If it happens fine but the NIT or NCAA is not the current short term goal.

The NCAA is not the goal? Have you ever competed in an organized sport a day in your life? I guaran-#$%^ing-tee you every member of that team and staff is only thinking about the NCAA right now. They have a path via at large bid or automatic berth despite what some uninformed posters write. What is Ahmed's two year plan? Back against the wall...one game at a time.

As for giving up on the NIT, here is last year's field: 

TCU 6-12 conference record (won the NIT) as a six seed
Clemson 7-11 conference record and 17-15 overall RPI of 71 got a two seed!
Indiana 7-12 conference record 18-15 overall and got a three seed
Ga Tech 8-10 conference record 17-15 overall
Illinois 8-10 conference record 18-14 overall

And the highest RPI out of that group was 52 by TCU and only Illinois was lower than 70 (60).
None of them had a SOS inside the top 25!

5 wins makes us a clear cut #1 seed in the NIT. Stop being nice persons.

« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2018, 12:40:45 AM »
Nobody wants to face St Johns now at the Garden in the Big East tournament. Win the tournament

I'd like to see how we fare the rest of the season before that proclamation.  I also believe this is where our lack of depth would likely show up, as we'd have to play 4 games in 4 days.  That might be a bit too much.  If we finish in the 8 or 9 spot (who plays in the 7pm game) in the conference, then that guarantees the 'noon game the following day.   If we finish last or in 7th place (9pm game), then a game the following night at 7pm is the better deal.

Maybe, we can catch up and end up in 7th.  Winning tomorrow afternoon would be a start.

paultzman

« Reply #165 on: February 10, 2018, 08:05:16 AM »
One at a time. NIT more than fine considering the crater we dug. At this point finishing well & setting tone for a solid next season is fine by me. Beating a sweating, screaming Wojo is step 1.

« Reply #166 on: February 10, 2018, 08:22:08 AM »
One at a time. NIT more than fine considering the crater we dug. At this point finishing well & setting tone for a solid next season is fine by me. Beating a sweating, screaming Wojo is step 1.
Very tired of hearing/ saying "next year is the year" but 100% agree id be very happy with nit this year considering the start we had to conference play.

« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2018, 05:22:02 PM »
Quote from: fordham96 on February 09, 2018, 09:41:19 PM

Quote from: goredmen on February 09, 2018, 07:57:44 PM

Quote from: Marillac on February 09, 2018, 07:46:45 PM

Quote from: austour on February 09, 2018, 05:32:38 PM

The NCAA is not the goal? Have you ever competed in an organized sport a day in your life? I guaran-#$%^ing-tee you every member of that team and staff is only thinking about the NCAA right now. They have a path via at large bid or automatic berth despite what some uninformed posters write. What is Ahmed's two year plan? Back against the wall...one game at a time.

As for giving up on the NIT, here is last year's field:

TCU 6-12 conference record (won the NIT) as a six seed
Clemson 7-11 conference record and 17-15 overall RPI of 71 got a two seed!
Indiana 7-12 conference record 18-15 overall and got a three seed
Ga Tech 8-10 conference record 17-15 overall
Illinois 8-10 conference record 18-14 overall

And the highest RPI out of that group was 52 by TCU and only Illinois was lower than 70 (60).
None of them had a SOS inside the top 25!

5 wins makes us a clear cut #1 seed in the NIT. Stop being nice persons.

Re my original post I was talking about the crazy talk about the dance. TO get there you have to agree that 19 wins (win out and 3 in BET) or winning the BET is the only path to being a bubble team.

Re the rest of my post, 5-1, 1-1 would make them 17-15 (not counting Molloy).  Not a chance at the dance even with 2 marquee wins.  I did say that record likely gets them into the NIT, though I doubt they will be a #1, those are traditionally bubble teams, but one less win or one more loss and even the NIT is doubtful.

Also, re 15 losses it must have been Vanderbilt starting the conversation last year that made me think there were none, but you're right there was one.  They did have 19 wins though.

Sorry for the weird looking post, if it is weird looking, in these times of reduced functionality I can't seem to get the quote button to work.

Marillac

« Reply #168 on: February 12, 2018, 08:04:57 PM »
I want to be clear:  I don't think we will go 5-0 or 4-1 to finish the year. However, there has never been a team with the resume we would have if we did. The committtee has implemented a new way to classify wins and losses this year, seemingly opwning the door for the first 16 loss team if they played a hard schedule and away from home. It classifies wins and losses into one of four quadrants with one being best and four being worst. Nearly all of our losses are quadrant 1. We have no quadrant 4 losses -- although dePaul is close.

We have the most neutral court games in the country. We will finish with the strongest SOS in the country if we win 5-6 more games (we are currently at #3). The committee would be full of sh*t to deny St. John's is they didn't let us in at 18-14 or 19-15with the #1 SOS and at top 45 RPI after talking about how important playing away from home and playing a tough schedule was going to be beginning this year. Also, conference record is not specifically listed on their criteria. 7-11 usually means teams are out because the RPI isn't good and they didn't go 11-3 in the OOC. We've improved our RPI 40 spots in a week to #68. Wins at Depaul and Marquette would put us in the high 40's with three games left against good RPI opponents.

QuanMan

« Reply #169 on: February 12, 2018, 08:27:23 PM »
I think the formula for a bubble discussion would be anywhere from 4-5 wins over this final stretch + a BET run of atleast 2 wins.
Section 3
Section 116

TONYD3

« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2018, 08:43:29 PM »
I was most negative. Very positive now . Let’s beat depaull

Marillac

« Reply #171 on: February 12, 2018, 09:23:30 PM »
I think the formula for a bubble discussion would be anywhere from 4-5 wins over this final stretch + a BET run of atleast 2 wins.

Reasonable position.

« Reply #172 on: February 14, 2018, 08:32:06 AM »
I've been having trouble with the forum. Trouble shooting but we're able to quick reply now. There is an issue with starting new threads. Please be patient.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Tha Kid

« Reply #173 on: February 14, 2018, 11:58:32 AM »

Bingo.  Forget this NIT talk.  We just beat Duke and Nova, almost beat Xavier, and then didn't show a let down and beat Marquette.  Keep the streak alive - not because of some miracle that will get us in as an at large - so that we're rolling when the BET starts.  A strong St John's team playing at home has an advantage --- let's just win the damn tourney and force them to take us to the dance.
"I drink and I know things"

ras

« Reply #174 on: February 14, 2018, 12:01:17 PM »
Right know all I am hoping is they beat Depaul tonight. They have to take 1 game at a time.

goredmen

« Reply #175 on: February 14, 2018, 12:05:48 PM »

Bingo.  Forget this NIT talk.  We just beat Duke and Nova, almost beat Xavier, and then didn't show a let down and beat Marquette.  Keep the streak alive - not because of some miracle that will get us in as an at large - so that we're rolling when the BET starts.  A strong St John's team playing at home has an advantage --- let's just win the damn tourney and force them to take us to the dance.

Hope you're right and hope Ponds goes all Kemba in the BET but going to be extremely tough to play 160 minutes of great basketball over 4 days with 6 players against at least 3 really good teams

« Reply #176 on: February 14, 2018, 04:49:26 PM »
I've been having trouble with the forum. Trouble shooting but we're able to quick reply now. There is an issue with starting new threads. Please be patient.

Dave,  thank you so much for all your efforts in providing the world's premier St. John's basketball fan site.  It always is much appreciated!

CA