Marcus LoVett Leaving St. John’s Basketball Program

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/021718aaa.html

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
Re: Marcus Lovett leaves St. John's
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 11:09:52 AM »

Good riddance. We don't need sellouts polluting the mojo we have going now. How long before his euroleague team gets tired of his antics and he's out of basketball for good? I give it 2 years.

QuanMan

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 11:10:14 AM »
One of the oddest careers in program history, could've been one of the greats.
Section 3
Section 116

DFF6

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 11:18:18 AM »
I wonder if Lovett didn't want to play in the shadow of Ponds.  Or maybe he just wants to start making $.  Either way, it would have been a special team if he played this year.  Don't wish the kid ill will for making a decision that none of us know much, if anything, about.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 11:36:19 AM »
I liked the kid, and I liked his game.  Played terrific on-ball defense earlier this season.  It's too bad that we all didn't get to see what this team could have been with a healthy Lovett.  I wish him all the best with his future career.

That being said, can't help feeling that he quit on his teammates by not attempting to make it back from his injury and rejoin the team on the court.

paultzman

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 12:09:22 PM »
Well per Zach at least

Was told Marcus LoVett didn't enroll for the spring semester, so he won't negatively impact the APR. #sjubb

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 12:28:12 PM »
Well per Zach at least

Was told Marcus LoVett didn't enroll for the spring semester, so he won't negatively impact the APR. #sjubb

Such a bad move. He could’ve continued on the pathway towards getting his degree. Even if he succeeds in professional basketball, the connections from having that SJU degree could’ve stabilized his financial future long term. Look how Tarik Turner and Felipe Lopez are doing.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 12:29:28 PM »
I wonder if Lovett didn't want to play in the shadow of Ponds.  Or maybe he just wants to start making $.  Either way, it would have been a special team if he played this year.  Don't wish the kid ill will for making a decision that none of us know much, if anything, about.
You may be right that none of us know much if anything about his decision but I do know that I have for one am not aware of a similar one. Do wish him well and hope one day he shocks all of us by making an NBA roster as that would only help our brand.

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 01:11:49 PM »
Good.

Johnny23

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 01:16:16 PM »
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Poison

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 01:22:43 PM »

Good riddance. We don't need sellouts polluting the mojo we have going now. How long before his euroleague team gets tired of his antics and he's out of basketball for good? I give it 2 years.

What antics are you talking about? He was out with a knee injury. What specifically are we supposed to believe that he did wrong?

Poison

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 01:35:56 PM »
Well per Zach at least

If LoVett didn’t enroll why was Zach reporting that he was questionable before every game?

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 02:15:38 PM »
Well per Zach at least

If LoVett didn’t enroll why was Zach reporting that he was questionable before every game?

He was questionable during the fall semester. He didn't enroll for the Spring semester which
 starts in January.  He was basically on campus without taking classes and using the athletic facilities.  That's not how a scholarship works.

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 02:33:28 PM »
And likely free campus housing, food etc. too...

Sat on bench at Duke win and not even enrolled.

What a joke

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 02:59:31 PM »
Seems like a great kid, despite the drama; wish him best of luck.

To Poison's point, the issue is that it seems this is not a "garden variety" injury situation.  There has been drama surrounding this kid since HS.  Is this a minor-nick that kids play through all the time?  Or something more?  The staff and others connected to the program seem to think the former, but that Dad doesn't want to risk injury under any circumstances so he made the kid leave.  Problem is that basketball is inherently risky; you can sustain a career-ending injury at any point.  Players with prof'l aspirations who go the college route tolerate a certain level of risk because they want to compete, they want to win, and they want to develop as a player and person.  It seems Lovett was willing to tolerate none.  If that were the case, I personally wish he would have just turned pro last summer and allowed us to fill the slot with a grad transfer or incoming recruit.  If that was even needed, because guys like Ellison or Mussini are probably here if Lovett wasn't coming back, and they would help. 

TONYD3

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 03:21:43 PM »
I don’t think he is a great kid. Something very wrong with him. What kind of person quits and says I don’t want to play a big east schedule. Some many would kill who his opputunity. What kind of person goes through all the preseason aggravation to just quit?
 It playing in a meaningless bowl game is one thing, as is risking Millions of dollars. This kid isn’t hurt and he is not any prospect.

Dan

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 03:28:31 PM »
Too much drama with the injury and a bizarrely enmeshed relationship with dad...hope he does well in a pro league somewhere but with the way things seemed to have gone at St. John's I doubt it will.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 03:29:17 PM by Dan »

Dan

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 03:32:11 PM »

What a joke

If he wasn't enrolled he had no intentions of ever coming back, so it was a joke he was on the bench vs. Duke.  Glad this is over.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 03:32:24 PM by Dan »

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2018, 03:59:43 PM »

What a joke

If he wasn't enrolled he had no intentions of ever coming back, so it was a joke he was on the bench vs. Duke.  Glad this is over.

Not to be a stickler, but I thought he was behind the basket w/ recruits and not on the bench.