Marcus Lovett leaves St. John's

• 44 replies

Foad

Re: Marcus Lovett leaves St. John's
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2018, 04:16:07 PM »
To Poison's point, the issue is that it seems this is not a "garden variety" injury situation.  There has been drama surrounding this kid since HS.

History repeats

"Marcus LoVett Jr., one of the most highly touted sophomore boys' basketball players in the country, has left Providence High, head of school Joe Sciuto said Friday in a statement. Earlier this month, LoVett, the reigning All-Area Boys' Basketball Player of the Year and Burbank Leader Male Athlete of the Year, left the team and didn't compete for the Pioneers in Wednesday's 72-66 loss to Lancaster Desert Christian in the first round of the CIF Southern Section Division V-AA playoffs." (2013)

And the apple falls not far from the tree

"before coming to Oklahoma City, LoVett (Sr) hads omehow picked up an associate of arts degree from the College of Southern Idaho, a junior college in Twin Falls, and 83 credit hours from Southern Idaho and three other schools." (1997)

Lovett Sr. has ADD and an IQ of 90. Perhaps he's not the best person to choose to manage your future.

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 04:30:29 PM »

paultzman

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2018, 04:42:42 PM »
Saga not worth talking about

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2018, 04:45:19 PM »
This was from Duke game...

https://mobile.twitter.com/WeWinWest/status/960598664568758273

Posted during but not from the game. They wore the white hooded warmups vs Duke.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2018, 07:26:14 PM »
Seems like a great kid, despite the drama; wish him best of luck.

To Poison's point, the issue is that it seems this is not a "garden variety" injury situation.  There has been drama surrounding this kid since HS.  Is this a minor-nick that kids play through all the time?  Or something more?  The staff and others connected to the program seem to think the former, but that Dad doesn't want to risk injury under any circumstances so he made the kid leave.  Problem is that basketball is inherently risky; you can sustain a career-ending injury at any point.  Players with prof'l aspirations who go the college route tolerate a certain level of risk because they want to compete, they want to win, and they want to develop as a player and person.  It seems Lovett was willing to tolerate none.  If that were the case, I personally wish he would have just turned pro last summer and allowed us to fill the slot with a grad transfer or incoming recruit.  If that was even needed, because guys like Ellison or Mussini are probably here if Lovett wasn't coming back, and they would help. 

Great post. Most basketball players play all year round and as you said you can injure yourself working out alone in a gym. May as well hermetically seal yourself in a bottle to prevent injury as soon as you think you are good enough to play in Europe.

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2018, 07:50:44 PM »
Well per Zach at least

Was told Marcus LoVett didn't enroll for the spring semester, so he won't negatively impact the APR. #sjubb

If LoVett didn’t enroll why was Zach reporting that he was questionable before every game?

He was questionable during the fall semester. He didn't enroll for the Spring semester which
 starts in January.  He was basically on campus without taking classes and using the athletic facilities.  That's not how a scholarship works.
according to Classof72 on redmen, parting wasn’t so amicable. Mullin told him to leave once he found out he had not enrolled and was playing SJ.

And, by saying that he hadn’t made a decision on returning next year - he was playing them.

If this is all true, good riddance.

Foad

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2018, 08:37:11 PM »
according to Classof72

Yah. That's like saying according to Kitty Kelly's maid's cousin's fish mongerer's sister's uncle's brother's buddy he overheard a guy on the subway say his friend heard a guy say that he heard a guy say his sister heard a guy say his cousin dreamed that his uncle heard a guy a say that he heard a guy say he had a dream that a guy heard a guy heard a guy heard a guy had a dream that he dreamed that a guy dreamed some fake news that he made up entirely. If Stephen Glass and Baron Muchhausen had a dishonest baby the baby'd make Class of 72 look like the boy who cried wolf who cried wolf who cried wolf. I've taken shits that are more credible than that cunt.

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2018, 08:42:52 PM »
according to Classof72

Yah. That's like saying according to Kitty Kelly's maid's cousin's fish mongerer's sister's uncle's brother's buddy he overheard a guy on the subway say his friend heard a guy say that he heard a guy say his sister heard a guy say his cousin dreamed that his uncle heard a guy a say that he heard a guy say he had a dream that a guy heard a guy heard a guy heard a guy had a dream that he dreamed that a guy dreamed some fake news that he made up entirely. If Stephen Glass and Baron Muchhausen had a dishonest baby the baby'd make Class of 72 look like the boy who cried wolf who cried wolf who cried wolf. I've taken shits that are more credible than that cunt.
Maybe you just don't recall writing it first.  :-\

Foad

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2018, 08:54:09 PM »
according to Classof72

Maybe you just don't recall writing it first.  :-\

I recall everything I write. So does he. That's the problem. Emoticon.

Poison

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2018, 11:09:39 PM »
Well per Zach at least

Was told Marcus LoVett didn't enroll for the spring semester, so he won't negatively impact the APR. #sjubb

If LoVett didn’t enroll why was Zach reporting that he was questionable before every game?

He was questionable during the fall semester. He didn't enroll for the Spring semester which
 starts in January.  He was basically on campus without taking classes and using the athletic facilities.  That's not how a scholarship works.
according to Classof72 on redmen, parting wasn’t so amicable. Mullin told him to leave once he found out he had not enrolled and was playing SJ.

And, by saying that he hadn’t made a decision on returning next year - he was playing them.

If Mullin told LoVett to leave then he hasn’t been honest with St.John’s fans. I thought he was supposed to be a straight shooter. I guess this is an oversight.

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2018, 11:25:23 PM »
Well per Zach at least

If Mullin told LoVett to leave then he hasn’t been honest with St.John’s fans. I thought he was supposed to be a straight shooter. I guess this is an oversight.
What?

If they just found out that he was not going to class, how is this not straight shooting. He isn’t going to bad mouth the kid on the way out the door. You just seem to look for stuff. Part of the resistance?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 11:26:50 PM by section3 »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2018, 12:19:49 AM »
Well per Zach at least

What?

If they just found out that he was not going to class, how is this not straight shooting. He isn’t going to bad mouth the kid on the way out the door. You just seem to look for stuff. Part of the resistance?

I heard there was going to be punch and pie. Viva la resistance!
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2018, 12:38:55 AM »
It all makes sense now.  He signed with St Johns, during Mullins 1st year with the expectation he d be a 1 and done.  Remember how terrible that team was, with Durant and .... i forget his name. 

Then he was inelligible, so he had to wait a year.  But by then the team was better and had Ponds.  Mullin convinced him to come back this season and he got scared when he sprained his knee. So he left to go pro.  Cant blame him. 

Only thing is he screwed himself by not being eligible in 2016. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:41:18 AM by Towerofshred »

TONYD3

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2018, 01:14:51 AM »
It all makes sense now.  He signed with St Johns, during Mullins 1st year with the expectation he d be a 1 and done.  Remember how terrible that team was, with Durant and .... i forget his name. 

Then he was inelligible, so he had to wait a year.  But by then the team was better and had Ponds.  Mullin convinced him to come back this season and he got scared when he sprained his knee. So he left to go pro.  Cant blame him. 

Lovett was and is a really good basketball player. He also has something wrong with him. That’s why Jordan, I mean Lovett came to St. John’s. He as was Jordan were worth the risk. I don’t blame our current coach for this. I also don’t blame our former for Jordan.
We are not going to get 5 star or high 4 star guys often. I am fine taking risks.

Poison

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2018, 03:14:49 AM »
Well per Zach at least

What?

Sorry, I don’t understand your resistance comment. Is there something wrong with you?

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2018, 05:31:15 AM »
Yea Jordan is a criminal.  Lovett isn't.  Huge difference right there.  And Lovett attended classes for two and a half years, maintaining his eligibility, while Jordan regularly skipped classes, practices and made himself ineligible if he would have returned.  Lovett clearly knew once he hurt his knee at the end of last year he was gone, so he stopped going.  Very different.

Lovett was and is a really good basketball player. He also has something wrong with him. That’s why Jordan, I mean Lovett came to St. John’s. He as was Jordan were worth the risk. I don’t blame our current coach for this. I also don’t blame our former for Jordan.
We are not going to get 5 star or high 4 star guys often. I am fine taking risks.

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2018, 07:52:05 AM »
Well per Zach at least

What?

Sorry, I don’t understand your resistance comment. Is there something wrong with you?
Nothing wrong with me. It’s a joke. Your resistance to anything Mullin. Critiques on coaching or recruiting are one thing. Now he’s not a straight shooter?

TONYD3

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2018, 10:09:08 AM »
Yea Jordan is a criminal.  Lovett isn't.  Huge difference right there.  And Lovett attended classes for two and a half years, maintaining his eligibility, while Jordan regularly skipped classes, practices and made himself ineligible if he would have returned.  Lovett clearly knew once he hurt his knee at the end of last year he was gone, so he stopped going.  Very different.

Same thing, or should I say similar thing happened. Just spun different. If you are a Basketball player not hard staying eligible. Can you think of one player besides Jordan who played football or basketball who wasn’t eligible because of grades? Maybe at Notre Dame or navy, but St. John’s? I am sure Walter berry was a scholar

Poison

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2018, 11:53:22 AM »
Well per Zach at least

What?

Nothing wrong with me. It’s a joke. Your resistance to anything Mullin. Critiques on coaching or recruiting are one thing. Now he’s not a straight shooter?

He wasn’t a straight shooter in this case. He told us in January that he expected LoVett to play. The kid isn’t enrolled in class. He can’t play. You think that’s a straight shooter? Mullin speaks simply and directly. That doesn’t make him or anyone a straight shooter. They pushed Lavin out because he didn’t have control over his program. Is there a subtle difference now?

redslope

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2018, 11:59:19 AM »
The one blessing in the "Lovett Affair" is the timing of his departure.  He did it early enough for the staff to recruit a decent player with a newly open scholarship and the related potential playing time.  Had he did this after the late signing period, we would be looking at left overs.  Since he was probably going to leave, at least he gave us time to find someone for next year.