Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies

Moose

Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #760 on: January 29, 2015, 09:45:33 PM »
I hope we Fire Monasch (the only one who will miss him is the Softball Coach) and bring in Tim Pernetti.

Too late.  Tim got a new job today.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #761 on: January 29, 2015, 09:48:08 PM »
I think we're paying Gene Keady about what Richard Pitino is making at Minnesota.

As Fun pointed out not true.

But Keady might be making more than someone like Massielo.

Remember we tried to get Slice to leave a HC job at Manhattan to be an SJU asst where he would get paid more.

« Reply #762 on: January 29, 2015, 10:02:10 PM »
I hope we Fire Monasch (the only one who will miss him is the Softball Coach) and bring in Tim Pernetti.
I saw that in the Post with IMG, I could see him jumping if our position was open.

Moose

« Reply #763 on: January 29, 2015, 11:10:58 PM »
I saw that in the Post with IMG, I could see him jumping if our position was open.

No way.  President of IMG is ridiculously big job.  He's pretty much controlling 90 schools businesses.

« Reply #764 on: February 01, 2015, 12:24:58 AM »
Think like one of his mentors John Wooden, Lavin fancies himself a teacher more than a coach. Difference is unlike Wooden I don't think Steve has a burning desire to win. Oh yeah, another difference is the winning. Monasch will probably want to leave too as recent budget cuts have terminated his tanning expense account.

« Reply #765 on: February 01, 2015, 03:23:30 AM »
While pondering around old UCLA articles of Lavin, I stumbled on the SB nation fan forum for the UCLA Bruins and an article called "Why We Hate Steve Lavin." This was written in 2011 when Lavin was making his return to Westwood. Its quite funny how what we see now truly parallels what happened at UCLA. From the terrible in-game coaching to his "we're headed in the right direction" press conferences. Not a bad article.

Link Here: http://www.bruinsnation.com/2011/2/4/1973417/why-we-hate-steve-lavin

« Reply #766 on: February 01, 2015, 11:58:03 AM »
While pondering around old UCLA articles of Lavin, I stumbled on the SB nation fan forum for the UCLA Bruins and an article called "Why We Hate Steve Lavin." This was written in 2011 when Lavin was making his return to Westwood. Its quite funny how what we see now truly parallels what happened at UCLA. From the terrible in-game coaching to his "we're headed in the right direction" press conferences. Not a bad article.

Link Here: http://www.bruinsnation.com/2011/2/4/1973417/why-we-hate-steve-lavin
A few things were fairly accurate, but when I tried to write a factual comment in response to some perceptions I felt were inaccurate, I was threatened with being banned. 

Lavin's tougher than that board - bunch of thin skinned weaklings who whine all the time.  Our players are in a fight for their tourney lives. I am only worried about this season.  Carpe Diem...

« Reply #767 on: February 03, 2015, 10:26:21 PM »
A couple of more weeks

Marillac

« Reply #768 on: February 03, 2015, 10:33:57 PM »
A couple of more weeks

Can you give it a rest?
You've been wrong about everything for years.
It's so odd how you stood behind Norm Roberts without ever wavering when he was clearly an awful head coach.
You've been after Lavin since the beginning. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:35:41 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #769 on: February 03, 2015, 10:36:22 PM »
A couple of more weeks

Can you give it a rest?
It's so odd how you stood behind Norm Roberts without ever wavering when he was clearly an awful head coach.
+1

« Reply #770 on: February 03, 2015, 10:37:28 PM »
A couple of more weeks

Can you give it a rest?

I liked the Lavin hire. But I also think Norm could've made the NCAA with his seniors, something the current coach won't be able to do

I've been spot on for years. Some just don't open their eyes

goredmen

« Reply #771 on: February 03, 2015, 10:39:49 PM »
If anybody thinks that Lavin should be the coach of this program after this season they should be checked into Creedmoor
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:40:11 PM by goredmen »

Marillac

« Reply #772 on: February 03, 2015, 11:14:54 PM »
A couple of more weeks

Can you give it a rest?

Norm could've made the NCAA with his seniors, something the current coach won't be able to do

If you really believe that, than you don't remember the Norm years that well.   It was the darkest and lowest point in the history of St. John's. There is no way Norm would have won with those kids. He was a loser.  15-65 in conference at Queens College and 32-70 at St. John's. They started out 2-8 in the Big East that year and finished 6-12!!!!!

Norm did nothing with them as juniors.  He had also had the highest ranked recruit of his tenure, Anthony Mason, as a 5th year senior.  He didn't even see the value of his two best players, Hardy and Brownlee.

You can say Lavin did the "same thing with juniors" last year, but it isn't true.  First, he went 10-8 in conference.  Next,  he started a freshman POINT GUARD, his second-leading scorer was a sophomore, and his only center was a sophomore.  Norm had 10 juniors and a 5th year senior that started for four seasons and they sucked. 

« Reply #773 on: February 03, 2015, 11:17:36 PM »
A couple of more weeks

Can you give it a rest?

Norm could've made the NCAA with his seniors, something the current coach won't be able to do

If you really believe that, than you don't remember the Norm years that well.   It was the darkest and lowest point in the history of St. John's. There is no way Norm would have won with those kids. He was a loser.  15-65 in conference at Queens College and 32-70 at St. John's. They started out 2-8 in the Big East that year and finished 6-12!!!!!

Norm did nothing with them as juniors.  He had also had the highest ranked recruit of his tenure, Anthony Mason, as a 5th year senior.  He didn't even see the value of his two best players, Hardy and Brownlee.

You can say Lavin did the "same thing with juniors" last year, but it isn't true.  First, he went 10-8 in conference.  Next,  he started a freshman POINT GUARD, his second-leading scorer was a sophomore, and his only center was a sophomore.  Norm had 10 juniors and a 5th year senior that started for four seasons and they sucked. 

That is the bar now, Norm? Lavin is way better than Norm, but if this year progresses at the same rate, I have lavin behind Jarvis and Fran and really hasn't got much on Mahoney.

goredmen

« Reply #774 on: February 03, 2015, 11:21:43 PM »
A couple of more weeks

Can you give it a rest?

Norm = NITs
Lavin = NITs

The program is not in a much better spot now than it was when Norm was the head man

Wods317

« Reply #775 on: February 04, 2015, 12:11:39 AM »
Can we not bring up the Norm years in this debate please, that's over and done with and it was horrible. This game was an absolute disaster. These kids are just so undisciplined and whether it's the way they are coached or jsut there personalities Lavin is still at fault because he recruited them. We are on year 5 and we still have no offensive sets and are only 6 deep, that's a huge issue. I really liked the Lavin hire and I think although he has been a big disappointment that he has helped grow the brand and run a pretty clean program. If that's enough for you then fine but expectations are consistent ncaa appearances and consistently top 3 in the conference. I think it's time for a change, want a coach and not just a salesman this time around.

goredmen

« Reply #776 on: February 04, 2015, 12:24:22 AM »
Can we not bring up the Norm years in this debate please, that's over and done with and it was horrible. This game was an absolute disaster. These kids are just so undisciplined and whether it's the way they are coached or jsut there personalities Lavin is still at fault because he recruited them. We are on year 5 and we still have no offensive sets and are only 6 deep, that's a huge issue. I really liked the Lavin hire and I think although he has been a big disappointment that he has helped grow the brand and run a pretty clean program. If that's enough for you then fine but expectations are consistent ncaa appearances and consistently top 3 in the conference. I think it's time for a change, want a coach and not just a salesman this time around.

The program hasn't been entirely clean during the Lavin error

Poison

« Reply #777 on: February 04, 2015, 12:53:29 AM »
A couple of more weeks

Can you give it a rest?

I liked the Lavin hire. But I also think Norm could've made the NCAA with his seniors, something the current coach won't be able to do

I've been spot on for years. Some just don't open their eyes

Norm never showed anything that should lead us to believe that he could have done that. He actually added talented players his last season at St.John's. He was just unable to recognize it.
Lavin, barring a miracle run, he failed as well, but no coach at St.John's has been as clueless as Norm Roberts.

« Reply #778 on: February 04, 2015, 03:56:08 AM »
A couple of more weeks

Can you give it a rest?

Darkest and lowest  in St Johns history?  That would go to Jarvis, not Norm. Roberts brought us out of hell  with  steady improvement  and kids we could actually enjoy rooting for.  Lavin won with Norms players, than  threw the team back into purgatory where we remain. I feel like I need a shower after watching his teams play, disgusted

pmg911

« Reply #779 on: February 04, 2015, 06:24:46 AM »

Darkest and lowest  in St Johns history?  That would go to Jarvis, not Norm. Roberts brought us out of hell  with  steady improvement  and kids we could actually enjoy rooting for.  Lavin won with Norms players, than  threw the team back into purgatory where we remain. I feel like I need a shower after watching his teams play, disgusted

what was the "darkest & lowest moment" under Jarvis..?