AD position

• 30 replies
AD position
« on: January 29, 2015, 09:30:59 PM »
Little birdie told me that Big East might be putting the pressure on ST Johns to make a move in that position, basically forcing him out.  New president will be making changes.

The league needs St Johns to be good for the Big East to compete. They don't have the UConns and Syracuse's anymore to carry the load. If the Big East loses MSG  to a better conference for the tourny, the league is finished.

Party is over,, time to make some moves
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:31:19 PM by Marco Baldi »

Re: AD position
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 09:44:25 PM »
If true I will be happy. I am one to admit I was a fan of Lavin. Brought in good recruits, and helped us become relevant again nationally.  It was miserable watching Norms teams.  Teams stunk and fan attendance was brutal.  Oh and he is a horrible Hc.  However I have grown tired of this west coast mentality of run up and down the court 1 on 1 bs with no team chemistry.  His style is not suited for big east.  The conf has always strived on tough, smart players.  Yeah Nova has always been guard heavy but they always seemed to have some bigs who banged. Yes, they are normally undersized which hurt them come NCAA tourny time,  but look how they evolved.  Still guard heavy but smart and physical kids.

The rest of the league seemed to figure it out on how to become succesful. Gtown, butler, creighton, providence, Xavier and moving in right direction, the hall.

Being talk of the town in the offseason means little to me anymore. Zero results when it counts from Nov-March.

I am hoping we get back to basics. Hire a guy who understands how to win in conf. 

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 09:46:17 PM »
If lavin goes, it makes sense to bring in a new ad too

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 09:48:09 PM »
If lavin goes, it makes sense to bring in a new ad too

AD goes first

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 09:50:36 PM »
Makes sense for Monasch to go first. And he most certainly should be let go.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 09:54:52 PM »
Little birdie told me that Big East might be putting the pressure on ST Johns to make a move in that position, basically forcing him out.  New president will be making changes.

The league needs St Johns to be good for the Big East to compete. They don't have the UConns and Syracuse's anymore to carry the load. If the Big East loses MSG  to a better conference for the tourny, the league is finished.

Does administration really seem this determined to make St. John's a good/consistent program or is this your view? Have no idea but it seems like they fear (reasonably so) that if the hometown team isn't relevant, other conferences will fight for our postseason MSG tourney. I hope they feel backed into a corner and realize they need to make major moves and fight their way back to some level of national attention. If not, the ACC will eventually take MSG as theirs.

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 09:58:22 PM »
Tim Pernetti

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 10:08:20 PM »

Does administration really seem this determined to make St. John's a good/consistent program or is this your view? Have no idea but it seems like they fear (reasonably so) that if the hometown team isn't relevant, other conferences will fight for our postseason MSG tourney. I hope they feel backed into a corner and realize they need to make major moves and fight their way back to some level of national attention. If not, the ACC will eventually take MSG as theirs.

Exactly the point. We can't expect teams like Providence to carry the torch

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 10:11:17 PM »

How is your new AD working out?  Perhaps we'll take a look at him.  He's a St. John's guy.

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 10:13:31 PM »

How is your new AD working out?  Perhaps we'll take a look at him.  He's a St. John's guy.

Still waiting on new facilities. Seton Hall  stole the last AD and both men and women's coaches

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 10:16:50 PM »
Any post started by Baldi needs to be taken with a grain of salt, the discerning eye of a maven, a high level of skepticism.  In other words, while the premise sounds great, it's not true.

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 10:17:00 PM »

Still waiting on new facilities. Seton Hall  stole the last AD and both men and women's coaches

Don't know if it's on the table for you but building new facilities is his forte.  I'm aware.  I'm friendly with the women's coach.

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 10:18:23 PM »
Any post started by Baldi needs to be taken with a grain of salt, the discerning eye of a maven, a high level of skepticism.  In other words, while the premise sounds great, it's not true.

Welcome Chris

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 10:19:21 PM »

Don't know if it's on the table for you but building new facilities is his forte.  I'm aware.  I'm friendly with the women's coach.

Thanks Carmine. I think it's in the works, but takes time

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 10:42:51 PM »
No offense to Baldi but I have a lot of trouble believing this one. Since when do conferences get involved in telling a school to fire an AD. I'd assume Monasch had some part in helping in even a small way the transition to the new conference. We are good in pretty much every other sport or have at least had somewhat recent success.

Only sport we stink is men's hoops and I'm not even sure how much influence he had in the hire and honestly at the time who of us thought it was a bad hire ? Certainly not that 1st year which will go down as one of my all time favorite as a fan of this snakebite team and his recruiting until he got cancer was off the charts good. ( Ok yeah academic problems ) but not many were complaining except maybe Baldi and that's mainly because Baldi was upset Norm wasn't here anymore :)

I'm not arguing the last 2 years because I'm just as angry as anyone because we should have made the ncaa's this year and last. I don't know the inner workings of the AD but I just find it hard to believe the conference is trying to get rid of an AD

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 10:52:12 PM »
No offense to Baldi but I have a lot of trouble believing this one. Since when do conferences get involved in telling a school to fire an AD. I'd assume Monasch had some part in helping in even a small way the transition to the new conference. We are good in pretty much every other sport or have at least had somewhat recent success.

Only sport we stink is men's hoops and I'm not even sure how much influence he had in the hire and honestly at the time who of us thought it was a bad hire ? Certainly not that 1st year which will go down as one of my all time favorite as a fan of this snakebite team and his recruiting until he got cancer was off the charts good. ( Ok yeah academic problems ) but not many were complaining except maybe Baldi and that's mainly because Baldi was upset Norm wasn't here anymore :)

I'm not arguing the last 2 years because I'm just as angry as anyone because we should have made the ncaa's this year and last. I don't know the inner workings of the AD but I just find it hard to believe the conference is trying to get rid of an AD

While the hire seemed good at first, it clearly hasn't panned out for Lavin, not to mention the multiple eligibility issues these past four years. It also seems that Monasch and Lavin are conent with being an NIT team year in and out which is a disgrace. He is responsible for the Lavin hire since he is the AD and should have checked the academics of the recruits Lavin brought in. Monasch should be the first to go. PERIOD

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 10:55:59 PM »

being good in every other sport except mens BB to is like being an accounting major and gettings A's in everything else but failing math. Mens BB is the engine that drives the train money wise and exposure wise. Its really the main thing you have to get right.

Moose

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 10:56:07 PM »
Tim Pernetti

As I mentioned in another thread he got a new job today.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 12:13:07 AM »
Thank you

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 12:20:34 AM »
I can see that Monarch is on the hot seat. The new President was brought in to balance the books and clean up what Harrington left behind. There is a sense around SJU that major changes are going to happen Over the sunmmer and If Men's BB keep going down the path that we all fear, it is completely plausible that the AD can go as well.

-The President didn't hire him so there is no loyalty there (The same with Lavin).
-Even if the BE is not putting pressure, I hope the big donors are.
-I was a Lavin fan and i wanted to hold judgment until after the end of the season, but at this point even if he Forrest Gump's himself into the dance, I would still want him to move on. Just too much drama.
Cougar O' Malley