Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
In The Jungle... / Re: Big East Game 1- Xavier
« Last post by Foad on February 21, 2024, 04:10:44 PM »
Pathologies?  As a practicing psycho, I can only imagine that your relationship with your father, a well respected  SJ professor, influenced your love of the program. 

My father - and about pathologies let's just say he and I did not get along - was more than well respected: he made SJ a destination, at least for a while, until it became something less than that. In that respect he resembled Louie: apres moi le deluge.

As for my "love" for the program, I have the same love for it that I have for my myriad former girl-fiends, which is to say I wish upon them horrors beyond their comprehension. I had an ex for example who subsequent to our relationship got knocked up by some dope and lost the baby when it strangled on the umbilical chord when it dropped in the eighth month: she delivered a dead thing and thereafter succumbed to pancreatic cancer after a protracted illness. The thought of her fate still makes me smile. In the same way that will a SJ loss tonight.
« Last post by Johnny Rotten on February 16, 2024, 03:32:43 PM »
I didn't attend SJU. My hatred for the program arises from other pathologies.

Pathologies? 
As a practicing psycho, I can only imagine that your relationship with your father, a well respected  SJ professor, influenced your love of the program. 
If anyone should write a tongue and cheek book about our storied program (said story having ended in the late 80's) it would be you.
Glad to see you posting again.
« Last post by Foad on February 14, 2024, 04:09:21 PM »
The character thing is a fair point. I get that- the marital thing is inexcusable and perhaps an intentional blind eye to his prior program issues. But I do think this school needed some type of injection of talented coaching and he is a Hall of Famer so I think he can build it back up with some time.

SJ had no choice but to hire Pitino: he'd had success in their backyard and obviously he wanted the job and Cragg having bolluxed things up so stupendously last time around had no choice, despite the obvious fact that Pitino - again, one of the great coaches of his generation - is a arrogant narcissistic tortured little dwarf.

I'm not even talking about the public sex - who hasn't banged a subordinate's wife in a public place in front of a cheering crowd and anyway I don't doubt that Pitino and his wife have an understanding. I'm talking about his lack of character related to allegedly the great love of his life: basketball. He cheated at Hawaii, worked for Boeheim (another great coach who was a serial cheater, as are most college HOFers except maybe Bobby Knight), had success in the cesspool that is the NBA, and after catching lightning in a bottle at Providence went to Kentucky - the most corrupt program in the history of sports - and thereafter was fired from Louisville - a close second - for at best turning a blind eye to massive, pervasive and revolting institutional corruption, which when which malfeasance was exposed he compared the exposure to the murder of 3000 people on 9-11. As a human being Pitino's a reprehensible piece of shit, and that's me being kind.

The persecution rests.

The thing is, this team didn't have to suck. Which it does. Take away the half dozen island of misfit toys Pitino recruited and replace them with Posh, Storrs, Wusu, David Jones (21 and 7 at Memphis), Kolby King (12 and 4 at Tulane) and Omar Stanley (13 and 6 at Boise) and this would have been a team that might have made a run in the NCAA, as opposed to one that might get a favorable seed in the NIT. And don't give me BS about the character of the disappeared, every player who leaves SJ is addition by subtraction and every player who replaces them the second coming of Walter Berry until they morph into Alpha Bangura, or if you're a connoisseur, Curtis Redding. (Look him up.) And on the third hand we've already established that Pitino wouldn't recognize character if a character dressed as a character furrowed his way into his colon and etched the word character onto to one of his myriad polyps, the presence of polyps being characteristic of the colons of Mediterranean males. (Look it up.)

It crosses my mind that the game might have passed Pitino by (like at the end it did Lou C) reducing him to now complaining about the influence of money in college basketball, which I don't recall him complaining about the influence of money when he was at Kentucky. Which passing him by is odd, because Pitino helped create the modern game, where under the new rules the athletic superiority of talented African Americans is thwarted by the muscle memory of short white guys like Billy Donovan and Steph Curry. Obviously I hope that's the case, because every time Saint John's wins I die a little inside.
« Last post by friendofjohnnie on February 14, 2024, 10:03:53 AM »

Rick Pitino is a great coach. He's also a self-serving POS who's been cheating - as a coach since he was at Hawaii - and on his wife - since probably before he got married and otherwise he's been deflecting questions about his character flaws since forever. He's an awful human being. His recent complaining about the untoward influence of money in sports is peak Pitino. On the bright side if Rick can get through nine eleven he can get thorough my opinion of him.

I'm looking forward to SJ choking its way to a loss tonight in RI. I might even watch a bit. (I'm 7-1 since you challenged me to.) And OTOH if they win it'll give suckers like you hope moving forward. Which it seems to me I can't lose.

haha got it- a man with pathologies.

The character thing is a fair point. I get that- the marital thing is inexcusable and perhaps an intentional blind eye to his prior program issues. But I do think this school needed some type of injection of talented coaching and he is a Hall of Famer so I think he can build it back up with some time.

Well- you got your wish. They took the L (I actually also predicted this). I think they are bound for NIT, which is not the worst thing considering a team was patched together from scratch except a couple players in a short period of time. Once the Grads are out, I think the program can be built properly.  Get Brady and Simeon experience of post-season in NIT. If we make a Big East Tourney run of some kind that would be the only way to NCAAs now.
« Last post by Foad on February 13, 2024, 04:18:01 PM »
What is the root of the hate for your alma mater basketball program

(I get the school itself with its newer direction, but at least have mercy on the basketball program)? haha . Even if there were coaching stuff in the past you did not like and teams that did not play well, I would have thought you would have come back on board with Pitino.

Rick Pitino is a great coach. He's also a self-serving POS who's been cheating - as a coach since he was at Hawaii - and on his wife - since probably before he got married and otherwise he's been deflecting questions about his character flaws since forever. He's an awful human being. His recent complaining about the untoward influence of money in sports is peak Pitino. On the bright side if Rick can get through nine eleven he can get thorough my opinion of him.

I'm looking forward to SJ choking its way to a loss tonight in RI. I might even watch a bit. (I'm 7-1 since you challenged me to.) And OTOH if they win it'll give suckers like you hope moving forward. Which it seems to me I can't lose.
« Last post by friendofjohnnie on February 02, 2024, 12:56:44 PM »
Hope is for suckers.

Eight thirty EST is six hours past happy hour here but I managed to stay awake long enough to watch Villanova somewhere in the first half be incapable of inbounding the ball after which I retired to finish rereading True Grit (that's a book btw) knowing that Jay Wright was spinning in his grave watching his alleged predecessor destroy his legacy.

F SJU. Go Loins.

What is the root of the hate for your alma mater basketball program (I get the school itself with its newer direction, but at least have mercy on the basketball program)? haha . Even if there were coaching stuff in the past you did not like and teams that did not play well, I would have thought you would have come back on board with Pitino.
« Last post by Foad on January 26, 2024, 04:07:31 PM »
I hope you watched the game last night.

Hope is for suckers.

Eight thirty EST is six hours past happy hour here but I managed to stay awake long enough to watch Villanova somewhere in the first half be incapable of inbounding the ball after which I retired to finish rereading True Grit (that's a book btw) knowing that Jay Wright was spinning in his grave watching his alleged predecessor destroy his legacy.

F SJU. Go Loins.
« Last post by friendofjohnnie on January 25, 2024, 12:42:09 PM »
Redmen seems to be more active? Posts on there must outnumber posts on here 5,000 to one so I agree it seems to be more active.

Yes- its interesting that one has been around for a while but this forum got me into the program more. I am guessing not as much to complain about this year plus website issues a couple months back led to this. I post on both.
« Last post by friendofjohnnie on January 25, 2024, 12:39:15 PM »
You shamed me into watching the game today, although it didn't hurt that AQU cancelled. I gave Jenkins the evil eye causing him to miss his FT and was thrilled when SJU clanked one at the buzzer. Looking forward to the next loss. F SJU.

I hope you watched the game last night. We feasted on Villanova wildcat- cooked well done. Great that we swept the brats this year.
« Last post by Celtics11 on January 21, 2024, 08:27:06 PM »
Fair point well at least you missed the 28 pt run by SHU. Felt like a scene from a horror movie. I will give you that I have said that since day 1 of this season- Storr not here hurts and would come back to haunt us but I know Rick tried to keep him. Too bad.

Rick clearly made a mistake by doing that those years ago with the sex scandal. Hopefully he has grown from it. But with Wasu if you read Redmen.com they broke the story that he was forced out of here for shoving a manager in the locker room last year. We don't need that fat ass back here. He had a lucky revenge game last night during our clunker. They will shut him down next time.

Rick not coaching hurt us hope he recovers from COVID and yes it does make a difference. Lavin not coaching the prostate year was also unfortunate.

Always good to have more engagement on the board. Redmen seems more active but this board was pretty active in recent years. 

Redmen seems to be more active? Posts on there must outnumber posts on here 5,000 to one so I agree it seems to be more active.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10