17-18 Starting 5

• 150 replies
Re: 17-18 Starting 5
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2017, 08:00:18 AM »
Geez , really? RF was 17 and in a foreign country. He has shown basketball smarts and his shot isnt falling - yet. But I forget who said it but " best thing about freshman is they become sophmores." The kids gonna be a good player when all is said and done. What you see in Ponds/Lovett as freshman is an  rare and not usual.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 08:00:48 AM by valgoth »

TONYD3

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2017, 08:35:27 AM »
Assuming we get Walker, I would  RS freud if he were willing. Think staff always wants a kid sitting out via transfer or other means and rf would be a player who could gain a lot by it.
Agreed. RF needs to red shirt or transfer in my opinion . Don't think he will play at all next year. He has plenty of work to play at this level. As for amar, if decision is up to him. Where is he going ? Who will want him ? He will be a senior, what school will give him a scholarship for 2 years only to play 1? We should have let him leave last year.

If RF transfers it's a horrible reflection on the staff. Also, their record is a horrible reflection, but Freudenberg needs at least a summer to grow up. If he returns to Germany and spends his time playing with the same garbage he did last summer, he will probably be wasting time. Let's see how serious he is, and how aware he is of what he needs to do. He's European so we have to consider that this is unlikely.
Agreed it would make the staff look bad. All of you can make as many excuses for this kid as possible. Yes he is a freshman . Yes he is new to this country. Yes he can't guard anyone. Yes he is not athletic. Yes he is not physical . This kid was a 4 star recruit . He should not be such a project. I made these same arguments against max hopper and Amar.

TONYD3

« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2017, 08:40:28 AM »
Geez , really? RF was 17 and in a foreign country. He has shown basketball smarts and his shot isnt falling - yet. But I forget who said it but " best thing about freshman is they become sophmores." The kids gonna be a good player when all is said and done. What you see in Ponds/Lovett as freshman is an  rare and not usual.
Not expecting him to be ponds or Lovett . As a freshman he should be able to contribute. I don't know why he plays. Nothing he does in the game shows he deserves any minutes. How much quicker will he be next year ? What have you seen with you own eyes that tell you he will be a good player?

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2017, 08:42:32 AM »
AA will go if we need the scholarship. Is McMurray still looking at us? Any other transfers or known grad transfers we are considering?

Wods317

« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2017, 09:07:46 AM »
AA will go if we need the scholarship. Is McMurray still looking at us? Any other transfers or known grad transfers we are considering?

Committed to SMU

Wods317

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2017, 09:11:06 AM »
Assuming we get Walker, I would  RS freud if he were willing. Think staff always wants a kid sitting out via transfer or other means and rf would be a player who could gain a lot by it.
Agreed. RF needs to red shirt or transfer in my opinion . Don't think he will play at all next year. He has plenty of work to play at this level. As for amar, if decision is up to him. Where is he going ? Who will want him ? He will be a senior, what school will give him a scholarship for 2 years only to play 1? We should have let him leave last year.

If RF transfers it's a horrible reflection on the staff. Also, their record is a horrible reflection, but Freudenberg needs at least a summer to grow up. If he returns to Germany and spends his time playing with the same garbage he did last summer, he will probably be wasting time. Let's see how serious he is, and how aware he is of what he needs to do. He's European so we have to consider that this is unlikely.
Agreed it would make the staff look bad. All of you can make as many excuses for this kid as possible. Yes he is a freshman . Yes he is new to this country. Yes he can't guard anyone. Yes he is not athletic. Yes he is not physical . This kid was a 4 star recruit . He should not be such a project. I made these same arguments against max hopper and Amar.

Yes, he should be contributing a bit more this season probably because we were told he could shot and his shot has looked terrible but if you look at his form all of his shots are rushed. I don't think what people said about him being young and adjusting to a new country are excuses they are facts. I am not ready to give up on him after hardly playing in year one. Some players look terrible as freshman have great careers others look terrible and stay terrible. I think with his size and potential to shoot 3's and smart play he is worth holding on too.

derk

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2017, 09:41:30 AM »

So now we want RF to transfer. Kid is a freshman who barely played this year. He was one of the top European recruits last year and I don't think we should be even close to giving up on him. His first year in a new country and playing a new style of basketball. He never found his game this year but giving up on kids after one year and having them leave is no how you build a team. Also you are not going to have 13 superstars if RF ends up just being a deep bench guy which I don't think anyone can say he would be just yet that's not the worst thing in the world.

It's up to the kid. He's been spotted several times this year and not shown a thing. It doesn't look like he'd get much PT next year with all the guys we have coming in. So what do we do with him. Kid has to show something in the remaining games to justify a spot next year unless he doesn't mind riding the pines again.

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2017, 10:33:11 AM »
This is a longshot, but I wonder if Matt A has looked into Austin Nichols. He would be a great PF for us. Still have no idea why UVA cut ties, but we could give him another chance.

QuanMan

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2017, 10:43:13 AM »
The USF kid is visiting because he is an extremely talented player and scorer who has done it vs a high level of competition and bad teams such as SJU are  in no position to say no to the addition of talent irrespective of position.
As for Lovett yes their are 100% rumblings that he plans on leaving as soon as the season ends. This is just a fact and those around the program know it. Now.....this kid is a decent kid with a TON of people in his ear(please notice I avoided the P word....dont want to upset Lebron and Maverick) so I think the staff believes they can convince him to stay and the alternatives are not attractive or beneficial. We shall see....

This makes perfect sense. Much like JaKarr, he's much older than his grade level and wants to get paid, I don't blame him. However I'm confident that Mullin/Mitch will be able to convince him to stay this offseason and test the NBA waters without signing a agent next May with a fantastic sophomore year underneath his belt. Bolting to live in Russia this Summer is not better than doing something special in Queens in 2018 and 2019, just ask D'Ang or any of the 2015 guys if they would kill to be back in college right now.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:58:58 AM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

goredmen

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2017, 10:51:40 AM »
This is a longshot, but I wonder if Matt A has looked into Austin Nichols. He would be a great PF for us. Still have no idea why UVA cut ties, but we could give him another chance.

He doesn't have any eligibility left

Wods317

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2017, 11:08:11 AM »
The USF kid is visiting because he is an extremely talented player and scorer who has done it vs a high level of competition and bad teams such as SJU are  in no position to say no to the addition of talent irrespective of position.
As for Lovett yes their are 100% rumblings that he plans on leaving as soon as the season ends. This is just a fact and those around the program know it. Now.....this kid is a decent kid with a TON of people in his ear(please notice I avoided the P word....dont want to upset Lebron and Maverick) so I think the staff believes they can convince him to stay and the alternatives are not attractive or beneficial. We shall see....

This makes perfect sense. Much like JaKarr, he's much older than his grade level and wants to get paid, I don't blame him. However I'm confident that Mullin/Mitch will be able to convince him to stay this offseason and test the NBA waters without signing a agent next May with a fantastic sophomore year underneath his belt. Bolting to live in Russia this Summer is not better than doing something special in Queens in 2018 and 2019, just ask D'Ang or any of the 2015 guys if they would kill to be back in college right now.

I think that is a big thing for him. Grass is always greener but does he really want to leave NYC to play in another country and give up 3 years of college playing? If he sticks around for another couple years hes gona become a popular player as the team improves and gets more national attention with his skill set and flashy plays. Sticking around another couple years might not only be more fun and rewarding for it might actually land him a higher pay day. That all being said if he wants to leave and get paid right you can't really blame him.

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2017, 11:12:13 AM »
Starters:
PG- Lovett
SG- Ponds
SF- Bashir
PF- Clark
C- Hopeful Grad Transfer

Bench:
Ellison, Simon, Owens, Williams,Walker

Leaving- Amar, Mussini

50/50- Yawke

Redshirt- Freud

Wods317

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2017, 12:24:55 PM »
Starters:
PG- Lovett
SG- Ponds
SF- Bashir
PF- Clark
C- Hopeful Grad Transfer

Bench:

Leaving- Amar, Mussini

50/50- Yawke

Redshirt- Freud

If I have to choose Bash or Ellison to start I think I go Ellison every time. He is more efficient and a willing passer. He improved a lot over last year and would be surprised if he doesn't take a big leap again. They may both start but Ellison is the type of four year guy that by senior year he is All Big East performer I think.

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2017, 12:33:59 PM »
Starters:
PG- Lovett
SG- Ponds
SF- Bashir
PF- Clark
C- Hopeful Grad Transfer

Bench:

Leaving- Amar, Mussini

50/50- Yawke

Redshirt- Freud

Agree with most of this, although I hope Ahmed is coming off the bench

Poison

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2017, 01:17:16 PM »

I think this happens often w 4 star kids. Some need to adjust, learn what it takes at this level. I think Europe hurts him because he's not getting succeeding with the same game here. He's not skilled enough now put it on floor 15 feet from the basket. He has to put the work in. He's not so unathetic, although he needs muscle. He has some talent. That's clear. I'm hoping that is learning and he will figure how he can best contribute in the 2-12 minutes he gets. Marquette isn't so quick and strong. He may get some burn tonight.

goredmen

« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2017, 01:19:45 PM »

I think this happens often w 4 star kids. Some need to adjust, learn what it takes at this level. I think Europe hurts him because he's not getting succeeding with the same game here. He's not skilled enough now put it on floor 15 feet from the basket. He has to put the work in. He's not so unathetic, although he needs muscle. He has some talent. That's clear. I'm hoping that is learning and he will figure how he can best contribute in the 2-12 minutes he gets. Marquette isn't so quick and strong. He may get some burn tonight.

Aside from probably Creighton, Marquette is the quickest team in the BE

Poison

« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2017, 01:20:22 PM »
Starters:
PG- Lovett
SG- Ponds
SF- Bashir
PF- Clark
C- Hopeful Grad Transfer

Bench:

Leaving- Amar, Mussini

50/50- Yawke

Redshirt- Freud

Agree with most of this, although I hope Ahmed is coming off the bench

We need a great senior year from him. Cut down on those Alpha Bangura drives into traffic. He's a good player and for a first season in D1, he's showed some signs. He's at 12 now, and he could go up to 15 or 16 next year.

« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2017, 01:49:21 PM »

Aside from probably Creighton, Marquette is the quickest team in the BE

Aside from sju
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2017, 01:51:50 PM »
As for RF:

Another 4 star 6'8 freshman who we also recruited currently at Kansas is playing much like RF. Sometimes you just gotta watch, work and learn your freshman year.

QuanMan

« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2017, 01:53:41 PM »
As for RF:

Another 4 star 6'8 freshman who we also recruited currently at Kansas is playing much like RF. Sometimes you just gotta watch, work and learn your freshman year.

Lightfoot
Section 3
Section 116