Matt A

• 695 replies

paultzman

Matt A
« on: February 16, 2017, 07:12:30 PM »
Just thinking out loud, Matt A is close with Will Wade, VCU HC and other coaches who could be up for high major jobs this coming spring. I assume Chris and SJU Administration will make sure to keep him here. He is the only AC with recruiting relationships and transfer prowess. Hopefully someone else on staff will be out there soon to give him a hand. One guy can't do it all IMO.

We would be in some serious trouble if he moved on, considering he has already recruited the entire team and has the short term future of the program directly tied to him. Maybe I worry too much. :)

Re: Matt A
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 08:37:31 PM »
Matt is a home grown loyal alum who loves St. John's and worships Chris Mullin.  He left a very successful Iowa State program to last year be part of a team that went 1 and 17 in the BE.  He wanted to come home, and this is still home.  As long as CM is here, Matt's not going anywhere. 

As much or more than any of our players, he wants to be here to return St. John's to national prominence.

goredmen

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 08:58:22 PM »
Matt is a home grown loyal alum who loves St. John's and worships Chris Mullin.  He left a very successful Iowa State program to last year be part of a team that went 1 and 17 in the BE.  He wanted to come home, and this is still home.  As long as CM is here, Matt's not going anywhere. 

As much or more than any of our players, he wants to be here to return St. John's to national prominence.

If Paultzman's bringing it up I'm guessing it's a little more than just pure speculation but he could correct me if I'm wrong. If there is indeed something to it hopefully he is just bluffing and looking for more money.

Unfair to say Matt A left Iowa St for St. John's without mentioning that the head coach he worked for there left Iowa St for the Chicago Bulls. Matt may have come here anyway but there is little to no loyalty in this business and money talks

paultzman

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 10:04:22 PM »

If Paultzman's bringing it up I'm guessing it's a little more than just pure speculation but he could correct me if I'm wrong. If there is indeed something to it hopefully he is just bluffing and looking for more money.

Unfair to say Matt A left Iowa St for St. John's without mentioning that the head coach he worked for there left Iowa St for the Chicago Bulls. Matt may have come here anyway but there is little to no loyalty in this business and money talks

No, Wade's name being mentioned for NC State job possibility just got me thinking.

goredmen

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 10:17:07 PM »

No, Wade's name being mentioned for NC State job possibility just got me thinking.

Fair enough, thanks for the clarity. Matt might be the single most important person in the entire program right now. Him leaving would be a knife to the heart

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 10:21:17 PM »
Those dots are connectable. Will is one of the fastest risers in the biz and he'd definitely court Matt. Those two are always sitting next to each other at recruiting events. Other SEC and ACC schools are also poking around.

If someone offers him a better deal loyalty or not he'd be a fool not to listen/entertain/consider. Same can be said for anyone in any profession.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 10:30:49 PM »
Just thinking out loud, Matt A is close with Will Wade, VCU HC and other coaches who could be up for high major jobs this coming spring. I assume Chris and SJU Administration will make sure to keep him here. He is the only AC with recruiting relationships and transfer prowess. Hopefully someone else on staff will be out there soon to give him a hand. One guy can't do it all IMO.

We would be in some serious trouble if he moved on, considering he has already recruited the entire team and has the short term future of the program directly tied to him. Maybe I worry too much. :)

The fellow fan whom I spoke with last night mentioned the same thing, in regard to Matt A basically being the only coach out there recruiting.  Nearly verbatim. 

It does make one wonder, once you think about it. 

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 10:36:51 PM »
If/ and/ when Matt A moves on whenever that may be look for Grasso to be next up.

TheVig

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 08:18:46 AM »
The whole Matt A allure is going to fade over time once every kid realizes he has nothing to do with the actual coaching of basketball. In 2 years I don't think I've seen this guy off the bench aside from huddles. Even then, he stands at the periphery and says nothing to anyone. It would be nice to have assistants who could recruit and coach but guess not possible at SJU. It appears Richmond does neither, which is wonderful. I like St Jean but something tells me parents are not going to be excited to entertain handing their son over to a 26 year old.

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 08:50:47 AM »
The whole Matt A allure is going to fade over time once every kid realizes he has nothing to do with the actual coaching of basketball. In 2 years I don't think I've seen this guy off the bench aside from huddles. Even then, he stands at the periphery and says nothing to anyone. It would be nice to have assistants who could recruit and coach but guess not possible at SJU. It appears Richmond does neither, which is wonderful. I like St Jean but something tells me parents are not going to be excited to entertain handing their son over to a 26 year old.

There is so much ignorance in this post I don't know where to begin.

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 09:10:12 AM »

Agree wholeheartedly (the ignorance part).

derk

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 09:33:26 AM »

Agree wholeheartedly (the ignorance part).

Matt seems like a loyal alum in a dream situation for him. But we should add another recruiter to assist and enable Matt to go after bigger fish. Don't know that he has any HC aspirations . Somehow I see CM coaching as long as he wants and then turning the reigns over to St Jean, who by that time will be a 30 something  experienced AC. You know how bad we do in transitioning coaches, so St. Jean would be the leading candidate. Similar to Louie and Mahoney. Hopefully with better results.

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 10:22:45 AM »

He came here before Hoiberg took the Bulls job.  Mullin hired him right off, while the NBA season was still going on.  Hoiberg didn't bolt for another six weeks, or so.

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 10:30:40 AM »

He came here before Hoiberg took the Bulls job.  Mullin hired him right off, while the NBA season was still going on.  Hoiberg didn't bolt for another six weeks, or so.

It was pretty evident that Hoiberg was taking the Bulls job after how GarPax treated Thibs.

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 10:33:59 AM »
This is not a knock against Mullin, but in my opinion Matt is the most valuable person on the staff.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 10:51:44 AM »
Matt A is doing all the heavy lifting and unfudging all the recruitment classes so there will be no more 20 players graduating at the same time....Once he brings balance back to the force, SJU continues to win more and make the tournament, hopefully overall recruiting becomes easier where the staff can help him out, and Coach Mullin is not as dependent on him as he is now...In general I don't like one organization being too dependent on one person, nothing against Matt A.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 10:54:11 AM »

I don't think I'm going too far on a limb to say he was aware of the possibility. Wasn't a done deal but there was a certain level of probability.

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 10:57:38 AM »
Matt A is doing all the heavy lifting and unfudging all the recruitment classes so there will be no more 20 players graduating at the same time....Once he brings balance back to the force, SJU continues to win more and make the tournament, hopefully overall recruiting becomes easier where the staff can help him out, and Coach Mullin is not as dependent on him as he is now...In general I don't like one organization being too dependent on one person, nothing against Matt A.

Would prefer the same but I am slightly nervous about Matt booking. Not sure where program would be without his recruiting acumen.

A lot of coaches were ringing Lovett in offseason and SJU would be foolish to think they're not doing same to Matt.

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 11:20:15 AM »

Would prefer the same but I am slightly nervous about Matt booking. Not sure where program would be without his recruiting acumen.

A lot of coaches were ringing Lovett in offseason and SJU would be foolish to think they're not doing same to Matt.

12-15

derk

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 01:06:51 PM »

If we lose him this program would be irreprobly harmed. While other schools might poach we should make sure he is handsomely compensated.