Matt A

• 695 replies
Re: Matt A
« Reply #340 on: March 24, 2017, 02:42:39 PM »
Isn't Rowsey from Marquette a transfer for a mid-tier D-I school?  He is a pretty good player - no?  I believe you are a big fan.

I have no idea if the kid from Green Bay is any good.  But I don't want to write off anyone, especially senior grad transfers, because older more experienced/developed kids from mid-level schools have shown they can be contributors in bigger conferences.

You missed my point. Goredmen blasted Slice for Durand  Johnson.

Well considering thats all he added what else could you blast him for? His suits?

"But it was year 1 of a rebuild".

Actually, Durand was the leading scorer on that team

With Slice: 8-24 (1-17)
Without Slice: 14-19 (7-11)

Apparently Slice has a -6 win differential on the team

0-32 without Slice

goredmen

« Reply #341 on: March 24, 2017, 02:44:45 PM »
Isn't Rowsey from Marquette a transfer for a mid-tier D-I school?  He is a pretty good player - no?  I believe you are a big fan.

I have no idea if the kid from Green Bay is any good.  But I don't want to write off anyone, especially senior grad transfers, because older more experienced/developed kids from mid-level schools have shown they can be contributors in bigger conferences.

Well considering thats all he added what else could you blast him for? His suits?

0-32 without Slice

Apology accepted

« Reply #342 on: March 24, 2017, 02:49:16 PM »

0-32 without Slice

Apology accepted

Do I get a raise too?

goredmen

« Reply #343 on: March 24, 2017, 02:59:23 PM »

0-32 without Slice

Apology accepted

Do I get a raise too?

The free market is a beautiful thing

« Reply #344 on: March 24, 2017, 03:00:39 PM »

0-32 without Slice

Apology accepted

Do I get a raise too?

The free market is a beautiful thing

Apparently

« Reply #345 on: March 24, 2017, 04:13:21 PM »
Matt could bring in Michael Porter and Baldi would call it a bad move "because one and done guys are toxic".
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 04:14:50 PM by Howie71 »

« Reply #346 on: March 24, 2017, 04:32:12 PM »
Knowing nothing about the details, Slice looks pretty weak for leaving after a year.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Moose

« Reply #347 on: March 24, 2017, 04:38:50 PM »
Knowing nothing about the details, Slice looks pretty weak for leaving after a year.

If he left he wouldn't still be getting paid. He was forced out
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #348 on: March 24, 2017, 04:50:13 PM »
Terrance Ferguson is in China somewhere
Thon Maker is on the Bucks
Rawle Alkins is on Arizona
Mustapha Heron is on Auburn

but hey we got a year of Durand Johnson.
SLICE BABY

« Reply #349 on: March 24, 2017, 05:27:43 PM »

SLICE BABY

But we got Ahmed! Final 4 bound next year baby

goredmen

« Reply #350 on: March 24, 2017, 05:30:31 PM »

SLICE BABY

Just for the record, let's say Matt never left Iowa State and Slice joined Mullin from the start and was still here. What would our record have been this season in year 2? What do you think the ceiling would have been for next season, year 3?

sju89tr

« Reply #351 on: March 24, 2017, 06:06:04 PM »

SLICE BABY

Just for the record, let's say Matt never left Iowa State and Slice joined Mullin from the start and was still here. What would our record have been this season in year 2? What do you think the ceiling would have been for next season, year 3?

On the court, probably the same

On the recruiting trail, I don't think Slice would hustle as much as Matt.

« Reply #352 on: March 24, 2017, 06:17:57 PM »
I like Ahmed.  And I like Owens, Ponds and Lovett too.  Pretty sure Matt was the guy who recruited all of those guys, but maybe I'm wrong.  Jury is still out on Freudenberg. 

SLICE BABY

« Reply #353 on: March 24, 2017, 06:25:27 PM »
I'm a fan of whoever got ponds and Lovett here. Whoever that guy is, be it mullin, slice, Matt, whoever, should have a job for this team. Those kids got 7 wins in a solid big east with little help as freshman. Durand Johnson definitely not inpresssive, not sure why people keep bringing him up. But he was never meant to be more than a bridge to this year and he did an admirable job.  I think jury is still out on Ahmed. Clearly he's not an efficient player, but hopefully he can get coached up and come in under control next year.

Definitely need a big man next year,but I don't see a Delgado or Patton walking through the door. Also need some sort of identity on defense.

Was mike rice good when he was coaching Rutgers? Putting aside the whole abuse thing, I remember those teams being pretty bad. Was he recruiting well or coaching them up?

LoganK

« Reply #354 on: March 24, 2017, 06:40:45 PM »
Why do folks keep taking the bait when Baldi goes into troll mode?  And in re: to Matt he is always in troll mode.

Troll mode? Do we have any recruits? Did we finish in 8th with his guys? Did he waste time and money recruiting a crossdressing thief that no one else would touch? Did he bring the drama to the staff causing a well respected recruiter to be jettisoned? And than have the balls to ask for a raise? You guys have some seriously low expectations. But hey, he's an alumn
We were better than Iona in year two of starting from scratch.  That's not too shabby.

goredmen

« Reply #355 on: March 24, 2017, 06:41:42 PM »

SLICE BABY

On the court, probably the same

On the recruiting trail, I don't think Slice would hustle as much as Matt.

I think that's fair and what most reasonable people would say. But Baldi likes to bash Matt and how we didn't make the tournament this year and won't be a final 4 team next year as if Slice would have been doing better, which he wouldn't have been
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:41:59 PM by goredmen »

Poison

« Reply #356 on: March 24, 2017, 07:00:23 PM »
I'm a fan of whoever got ponds and Lovett here. Whoever that guy is, be it mullin, slice, Matt, whoever, should have a job for this team. Those kids got 7 wins in a solid big east with little help as freshman. Durand Johnson definitely not inpresssive, not sure why people keep bringing him up. But he was never meant to be more than a bridge to this year and he did an admirable job.  I think jury is still out on Ahmed. Clearly he's not an efficient player, but hopefully he can get coached up and come in under control next year.

Definitely need a big man next year,but I don't see a Delgado or Patton walking through the door. Also need some sort of identity on defense.

Was mike rice good when he was coaching Rutgers? Putting aside the whole abuse thing, I remember those teams being pretty bad. Was he recruiting well or coaching them up?

They didn't score the ball, but they played defense against everyone. Including us. Not an easy game in 2010/2011 when we played Rutgers.

« Reply #357 on: March 24, 2017, 07:05:25 PM »
People keep bringing up Durand Johnson because thats the ONLY player in Slice's short time with us that he was able to land us.

How do we know? Because Matt A made it a point to tell Brazillier to credit him for every commitment we got.

wpc77

« Reply #358 on: March 24, 2017, 07:28:48 PM »
People keep bringing up Durand Johnson because thats the ONLY player in Slice's short time with us that he was able to land us.

How do we know? Because Matt A made it a point to tell Brazillier to credit him for every commitment we got.

Bingo

sju89tr

« Reply #359 on: March 24, 2017, 07:36:20 PM »

A little harsh but that's the word on the street.

Slice is an older vet coach, Matt is the Ben Howland Slice, That Slice was really good, lets see if Matt can be at that level one of these days. I don't think Slice would be on the road as much as Matt is now if he were the primary recruiter.