Year 3...

• 32 replies
Year 3...
« on: March 05, 2017, 12:28:30 PM »
...is critical for Coach and the program.

Finish up this week hopefully beat a Georgetown team that seems to have all but quit and then give a decent performance against Nova.

Then everything turns to next year.  Year 3 can be a telling year with a rebuilding program. I think this is the year even ardent supporters will stop giving Coach a free pass and demand significant improvement.   He has his entire core coming back, add the 2 transfers who are now eligible and a very soft middle of the conference that can be pierced pretty easily.

Also critical is the 2018 recruiting class that we all know the staff is putting in a lot of work to land top players in that class to then set their sets on challenging Villanova in 2019 and beyond.

I am not be discouraged by some of the losses as I do believe Coach has plan and is executing it but I do believe that starting this summer and next year this staff starts to get held to a much higher standard.

goredmen

Re: Year 3...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 12:39:32 PM »
Mostly agree. Last year was a complete free pass. This year has shown improvement but still clear there's a ways to go. Obviously the next 12 months will be huge for this program and staff with the major questions being:

- Will Lovett come back?
- Will a grad transfer big be added?
- Will there be a shakeup on the coaching staff to add another X's and O's guy and a guy to help Matt with recruiting?
- Will this staff show they can develop players after Sima and Yakwe seemed to have regressed from last year to this year and Ellison didn't get much better
- Will we land multiple 2018 studs

Should be an interesting offseason. Speaking of which, does anybody know if this year is our turn to take an international trip just before the season? That would be big for us to get extra practice time in early and some games in before the NCAA basketball year starts. That could also be helpful in convincing a grad transfer to come

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 12:43:52 PM »

Finish up this week hopefully beat a Georgetown team that seems to have all but quit and then give a decent performance against Nova.

Then everything turns to next year.  Year 3 can be a telling year with a rebuilding program. I think this is the year even ardent supporters will stop giving Coach a free pass and demand significant improvement.   He has his entire core coming back, add the 2 transfers who are now eligible and a very soft middle of the conference that can be pierced pretty easily.

Also critical is the 2018 recruiting class that we all know the staff is putting in a lot of work to land top players in that class to then set their sets on challenging Villanova in 2019 and beyond.

I am not be discouraged by some of the losses as I do believe Coach has plan and is executing it but I do believe that starting this summer and next year this staff starts to get held to a much higher standard.

+1

Johnny23

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 12:50:02 PM »
There's no doubt that next season the CS and players are going to be held to a higher standard and rightfully so. I agree.

No more of the rookie or being green excuses. It's time for them to elevate their individual play as well as their cohesion on both ends of the floor.

If this team isn't executing crisper and quicker overall then there's some coaching questions that need to be had because the pieces are there.

Let's get a big man recruit for next year and with the 2 transfers I'm hoping for a ticket to the big dance.

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 12:55:04 PM »
Mostly agree. Last year was a complete free pass. This year has shown improvement but still clear there's a ways to go. Obviously the next 12 months will be huge for this program and staff with the major questions being:

- Will Lovett come back?
- Will a grad transfer big be added?
- Will there be a shakeup on the coaching staff to add another X's and O's guy and a guy to help Matt with recruiting?
- Will this staff show they can develop players after Sima and Yakwe seemed to have regressed from last year to this year and Ellison didn't get much better
- Will we land multiple 2018 studs

Should be an interesting offseason. Speaking of which, does anybody know if this year is our turn to take an international trip just before the season? That would be big for us to get extra practice time in early and some games in before the NCAA basketball year starts. That could also be helpful in convincing a grad transfer to come

Last trip was ryssheed's fresh year so yes we are eligible. Think we probably would have heard about it tho. Perhaps staff is saving it as a recruiting pitch for the 18 class. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 01:16:57 PM »
Agreed on all accounts. Lovett coming back is huge for the program.

I expect a leap next year, not sure to what degree yet but I expect one.  Just as i expected a moderate leap this year and it happened.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 01:59:51 PM »
Personally I don't think losing Lovett breaks us for next year. I've been disappointed by his game. Statistically he's got his numbers, but his decision making at PG leaves a lot to be desired. This isn't a 18 year old freshmen. He's 21 and was around the program last year. At some point you got to say is he worth all the drama?

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 02:19:55 PM »
Even with a transfer out, the continuity from this season to next will be something we have only experienced a few times in the 2000's.

Ponds has to be a frontrunner for conference P.O.Y.

goredmen

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 02:25:28 PM »
Even with a transfer out, the continuity from this season to next will be something we have only experienced a few times in the 2000's.

Not with Martin, Brunson, Delgado, Carrington, Foster and Bluiett all most likely coming back

TONYD3

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 02:52:33 PM »
if everyone comes back their will be plenty of talent next year. We need to add a defensive coach.

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 02:59:53 PM »
Think we are in good shape. Word on the street Lovett leaning towards coming back

TONYD3

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 03:00:29 PM »
Think we are in good shape. Word on the street Lovett leaning towards coming back
Where would he go?

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 03:03:43 PM »
Where would he go?

Pro somewhere I guess. He hasn't stayed in 1 spot for more than a year

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 03:43:28 PM »
that would be great news

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 04:01:19 PM »
Great news...fingers crossed...thanks for the update

Wods317

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 04:27:36 PM »
Next year is huge. Lovett leaving wouldn't be a death blow i don't think but it would certainly hurt us. He was overall very good this year and with another offseason of training and improving he could be special with Ponds and a couple more weapons around him.

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 04:40:58 PM »

This is Harrison 2.0. Harrison was publicly tweeting he was a one and done. Year two there were whispers whispers and then reality set in. We are lucky that kids can now test the draft waters and get honest evaluation from the NBA and still return to school. Lovett is too short and too frail to have a shot at this point.

Foad

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 04:48:37 PM »

No question that next year is the year. Last year was a step forward: Lavin got fired. This year was a step forward: better talent, better basketball, better coaching, better results. Next year cannot be a step back: they need to be at minimum a bubble team. Norm stalled in his (real) third year when he went from 16 to 11 wins. Lavin stalled in his (real) year three when they lost to Robert Morris in the NIT with tournament talent. Next year is Mullin's real year two but being an NIT lock is the logical next step. It doesn't matter what he does - because they'll never fire him - but if they don't show further improvement and if the recruiting momentum doesn't continue the knives will come out and probably they should. 

Poison

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 06:03:01 PM »

Not with Martin, Brunson, Delgado, Carrington, Foster and Bluiett all most likely coming back

If Shamorie comes back stronger and ready to play defense, he could definitely be the player of the year. He was as good as any of those guys as a freshman.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 06:05:10 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 06:09:16 PM »

No question that next year is the year. Last year was a step forward: Lavin got fired. This year was a step forward: better talent, better basketball, better coaching, better results. Next year cannot be a step back: they need to be at minimum a bubble team. Norm stalled in his (real) third year when he went from 16 to 11 wins. Lavin stalled in his (real) year three when they lost to Robert Morris in the NIT with tournament talent. Next year is Mullin's real year two but being an NIT lock is the logical next step. It doesn't matter what he does - because they'll never fire him - but if they don't show further improvement and if the recruiting momentum doesn't continue the knives will come out and probably they should. 

Um, real 3rd year? Come on. Norm inherited some talent that first year. He could have come up with some way to beat St.Francis on Carnesecca Court dedication night. But no.