BET Game 1: Georgetown

• 116 replies

goredmen

Re: BET Game 1: Georgetown
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2017, 11:00:22 PM »
Steve Lavin at Halftime of the X/DePaul game talking about St. John's - "They can win this whole thing". I vehemently disagree but interesting quote from him nonetheless

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2017, 11:06:34 PM »
If only they rested their starters against Prividence like I said, their legs would be fresher!
(Tongue still in cheek)

To get a little snarkier....Lavin should know, these are the guys he recruited.

Here's hoping Lavin is right!
Cougar O' Malley

desco80

« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2017, 11:06:57 PM »
Maybe I had one too many beers, but at no point did I think Ellison was playing like Dom Pointer.

On the other hand I thought it was obvious we played much better with Owens on the floor.  Thought Mullin shoudlve used him more.

He didn't look a thing like Pointer, but  he played his best half at SJU. He went after
defensive rebounds hard and he even crashed the offensive glass a few times.

I think that's fair.  I can get on board with that assesment.
Ellison played well tonight I won't take that away from him.

But let's not forget Dom was a finalist for BE Player of the Year.  He was doing Russel Westbrook type things.  And not turning the ball over.

« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2017, 11:08:49 PM »

« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2017, 11:14:11 PM »
Great W, and absolutely great atmosphere for what some folks mocked as a meaningless game.  That place had more juice tonight than the semis or finals in most other conference tournaments. 

Two other things I found interesting.  Sat close to the SJU bench tonight.  First, for those monitoring the Lovett body language of late, the kid was about as great a teammate as you could be on the bench tonight.  Constantly pumping up his teammates, despite the subpar game and foul trouble. 

Second, Matt A looked like he was in heaven after the win.  Was high fiving the students behind the basket and a bunch of other people close by.

« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2017, 11:29:26 PM »
Great W, and absolutely great atmosphere for what some folks mocked as a meaningless game.  That place had more juice tonight than the semis or finals in most other conference tournaments. 

Two other things I found interesting.  Sat close to the SJU bench tonight.  First, for those monitoring the Lovett body language of late, the kid was about as great a teammate as you could be on the bench tonight.  Constantly pumping up his teammates, despite the subpar game and foul trouble. 

Second, Matt A looked like he was in heaven after the win.  Was high fiving the students behind the basket and a bunch of other people close by.
Honestly don't remember one person "mocking" this game as unimportant. Maybe some responses to those saying the Providence game was meaningless? Note to 212-we don't win this game without Ellison tonight. But to say you don't understand the "hate"- I hate when people label criticism of a player as "hate".  As Marillac stated we all see the potential that is why the poor play is so maddening. look all players make mistakes it is the mindless lazy ones where he just flips a pass to a teammate on the perimeter that gets intercepted for a lay-up that draws the criticism along with hoisting up bad 3s when he tries to do to much. If you remember how much flak AliB took earlier in the season for the same thing and he has cut way back on that the second half of the season hence receiving much less criticism. We all root for us to win and we would all love Ellison to become all world if he could.

« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2017, 11:37:53 PM »
That last 6 seconds took an eternity.  Great game by Ellison...overall good defensive effort and despite foul trouble pulled out a gritty win.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2017, 12:09:51 AM »
The Williams dodge on last play is sneaky underrated. He hip bumps there and it's 1 and 1 at the line
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2017, 12:46:51 AM »

« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2017, 12:49:12 AM »

« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2017, 01:30:14 AM »
Amazing to finally be at a big time feeling Big East Tournament game. Awesome time! Let's be competitive tomorrow!

« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2017, 02:07:32 AM »
He led the team in rebounds, assists, steals, had a 3 -1 assist/to ratio, a block, went 5 for 6 from the line and finished with 11 points.

All this in our most important game of the season.

He is only a sophmore that chose to come to Sj's in their darkest hour.

What say ye that have slammed this kid unmercifully all season long?

We are not Kansas, Kentucky or Ucla.  We don't get perfect players with complete, well-rounded games that come in ready to compete at an elite level from day one.

MalikIV, and others, deserve better than the crap they get around here.

MCNPA

« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2017, 07:43:24 AM »

« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2017, 07:55:24 AM »
He led the team in rebounds, assists, steals, had a 3 -1 assist/to ratio, a block, went 5 for 6 from the line and finished with 11 points.

All this in our most important game of the season.

He is only a sophmore that chose to come to Sj's in their darkest hour.

What say ye that have slammed this kid unmercifully all season long?

We are not Kansas, Kentucky or Ucla.  We don't get perfect players with complete, well-rounded games that come in ready to compete at an elite level from day one.

MalikIV, and others, deserve better than the crap they get around here.

So true. Just looking at the highlight video alone, he was involved in almost every play.

« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2017, 02:31:29 PM »
after St Johns beats Georgetown by double figures tonight, maybe JT3 gets canned and Ewing takes over

On point Baldi

« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2017, 05:35:23 PM »
after St Johns beats Georgetown by double figures tonight, maybe JT3 gets canned and Ewing takes over

On point Baldi

You should go post on Georgetown's board, you finally got something right!!!!

Just joking buddy. 😂