• 137 replies

Marillac

Re: BET Game 2: Villanova
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2017, 01:38:31 PM »
Why is RF not playing? Silly.

« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2017, 01:40:18 PM »
Ponds last back on d. A liteam jog back

did shamorie piss in your cheerios?  You really like to criticize him...

Great offensive player. No effort on d

I don't particularly agree with a lot of things Baldi has to say, but he's on point here.  Ponds, as well as LoVett, are dynamite on the offensive end, but there are too many times they don't bring effort on defense.

Not evaluating his statement, but we have a young team who has lots of problems, and a big shining bright spot in the backcourt...odd that the only time I read baldi posting about ponds it is to criticize.  That's my point.  If he was the only guy playing lackadaisical D, that would be a different story.

Fair point.

« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2017, 01:40:31 PM »
Because it is not garbage time yet. Must wait until we are down 50 with under 2 min to play.

« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2017, 01:41:05 PM »

Yup. Said that 25 mins ago

Wods317

« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2017, 01:42:09 PM »
Nova playing an unreal game. A lot of it has to do with out poor defense but geez we caught them on the wrong day, they cant miss.

« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2017, 01:42:14 PM »
Ponds last guy back on d. Rinse repeat

The kid is the biggest gift this program has received this millennium and you want to put his game under a microscope?

Maybe if his name was "Sam" instead of Shamorie...

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2017, 01:42:24 PM »
They better remember this when they play Nova next year. Complete embarrassment.
Yes remember about the last 18 games against them. Maybe we have been deluding ourselves on how much we have improved.

We should have a shot next year to break the streak with them losing Hart, Jenkins, Reynolds etc. They'll still be really good, but we should also be improved. As embarrassing as this game is we are playing probably a top 3 title contender and defending national champs. Winning 8 conference games this year after winning 1 last year is a huge jump. If we can get up to 10 conference wins next season and take care of business in the non conference we should be in the tournament discussion (wishful thinking).

goredmen

« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2017, 01:42:36 PM »
Again it will be a bit of a strange occurrence.  SJU would have won all 8 BE games they were competitive in including last night but their 12 losses were essentially blowouts for the most part.  For the most part they had little to no chance to win the 12 games they ultimately would lose.
I see this as a huge negative. You don't seem to agree. Why?

Not sure what you mean.  I noted this under the Providence game thread as something I expect to see change next year.  Meaning not only do I expect more wins I expect to see them play better and be more competitive in their losses.

Close wins and blowout losses means that we were a couple bounces away from being a 5-13 team instead of a 7-11 team. Had it been reversed and our wins were blowouts and the losses were close, we were a couple bounces away from being 9-9 instead of 7-11
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 01:44:50 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2017, 01:42:42 PM »
Wright should get his guys out

« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2017, 01:45:01 PM »
Again it will be a bit of a strange occurrence.  SJU would have won all 8 BE games they were competitive in including last night but their 12 losses were essentially blowouts for the most part.  For the most part they had little to no chance to win the 12 games they ultimately would lose.

Not sure what you mean.  I noted this under the Providence game thread as something I expect to see change next year.  Meaning not only do I expect more wins I expect to see them play better and be more competitive in their losses.
This the 14th time that we have not been competive at all. What makes you think we will be better next year?

Because they will be a year older, a year wiser, a year better and will have some help from two key transfers.  Why wouldn't you expect a fairly young team to improve significantly the following year?  With that improvement should come more wins and just generally more competitive play.

That's not a ground shaking notion.

That's why this staff gets paid and why I expect them to get the team to significantly improve.

« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2017, 01:47:25 PM »
Running up the score-does Mo start pummeling Jay on the hand shake line after the game?

« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2017, 01:50:29 PM »
Running up the score-does Mo start pummeling Jay on the hand shake line after the game?

Yup they don't like Mullin

TONYD3

« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2017, 01:51:41 PM »

This the 14th time that we have not been competive at all. What makes you think we will be better next year?

Because they will be a year older, a year wiser, a year better and will have some help from two key transfers.  Why wouldn't you expect a fairly young team to improve significantly the following year?  With that improvement should come more wins and just generally more competitive play.

That's why this staff gets paid and why I expect them to get the team to significantly improve.
I disagree completely . We have played a handful of good games . Most games we get killed.
Another game giving up 100 points. Pathetic !

« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2017, 01:52:27 PM »
Why does nova still,have the dogs in?

« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2017, 01:57:31 PM »

I disagree completely . We have played a handful of good games . Most games we get killed.

I don't understand I am talking about next year not this year.

Keep in mind next year will be the first time in 3 years (since Lavin's last year) that SJU will essentially bring back the core of the team.  There has been little continuity in CM's first two years.  His first year he essentially had to put together a complete makeshift roster.  Then many of those kids, Mvouika, Jones, Durand Johnson moved on as well.  And so this year was essentially another rebuilt roster year.  The difference is the kids he brought in this past year are kids that should be here for a few years. 

The continuity itself is bound to make this team better and guys like RF should improve and be key contributors next year.

« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2017, 01:57:33 PM »
Why does nova still,have the dogs in?

Wright does that all the time

« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2017, 01:57:40 PM »
Why aren't the refs checking the moitor to see who the ball went off of?

« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2017, 01:57:54 PM »
Glad to see the walking get a hoop

goredmen

« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2017, 02:00:08 PM »

I don't understand I am talking about next year not this year.

Keep in mind next year will be the first time in 3 years (since Lavin's last year) that SJU will essentially bring back the core of the team.  There has been little continuity in CM's first two years.  His first year he essentially had to put together a complete makeshift roster.  Then many of those kids, Mvouika, Jones, Durand Johnson moved on as well.  And so this year was essentially another rebuilt roster year.  The difference is the kids he brought in this past year are kids that should be here for a few years. 

The continuity itself is bound to make this team better and guys like RF should improve and be key contributors next year.

After Sima and Yakwe went almost 180 degrees backwards from last year to this year, are you confident in this staff to make players better from one year to the next? I'm not until they show they can

Marillac

« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2017, 02:02:36 PM »

Close wins and blowout losses means that we were a couple bounces away from being a 5-13 team instead of a 7-11 team. Had it been reversed and our wins were blowouts and the losses were close, we were a couple bounces away from being 9-9 instead of 7-11

It means very little for next year. We had no big that could score down low, command a double team or even aggressive help, run the offense through, or defend the paint. Those are entire aspects of the college game we couldn't utilize.  Marvin Clark, a grad transfer, and 25 lbs on Owens changes that.