BET Game 2: Villanova

• 137 replies
Re: BET Game 2: Villanova
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2017, 02:02:52 PM »
Glad to see the walking get a hoop
Know you meant walk ons but first thought was you meant walking dead.

« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2017, 02:05:34 PM »
Again it will be a bit of a strange occurrence.  SJU would have won all 8 BE games they were competitive in including last night but their 12 losses were essentially blowouts for the most part.  For the most part they had little to no chance to win the 12 games they ultimately would lose.
I see this as a huge negative. You don't seem to agree. Why?

Not sure what you mean.  I noted this under the Providence game thread as something I expect to see change next year.  Meaning not only do I expect more wins I expect to see them play better and be more competitive in their losses.
This the 14th time that we have not been competive at all. What makes you think we will be better next year?

Because they will be a year older, a year wiser, a year better and will have some help from two key transfers.  Why wouldn't you expect a fairly young team to improve significantly the following year?  With that improvement should come more wins and just generally more competitive play.

That's not a ground shaking notion.

That's why this staff gets paid and why I expect them to get the team to significantly improve.
I disagree completely . We have played a handful of good games . Most games we get killed.
Another game giving up 100 points. Pathetic !

I don't understand I am talking about next year not this year.

Keep in mind next year will be the first time in 3 years (since Lavin's last year) that SJU will essentially bring back the core of the team.  There has been little continuity in CM's first two years.  His first year he essentially had to put together a complete makeshift roster.  Then many of those kids, Mvouika, Jones, Durand Johnson moved on as well.  And so this year was essentially another rebuilt roster year.  The difference is the kids he brought in this past year are kids that should be here for a few years. 

The continuity itself is bound to make this team better and guys like RF should improve and be key contributors next year.

After Sima and Yakwe went almost 180 degrees backwards from last year to this year, are you confident in this staff to make players better from one year to the next? I'm not until they show they can

Yes practices should be tougher and more competitive.  And Sima was hardly here enough to judge enough anyway.

Guys the staff is not going anywhere so if you want to just pound them over things that ALREADY happened as if being negative will change some results that occurred already as opposed to looking and seeing a roster that for the most part is coming back in tact with two eligible transfers and looking to improve ten that is your choice.

But I do expect a jump next year.

« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2017, 02:10:38 PM »
At game. Actually go to our games. Today sucked. Sure the Dante lovers are happy that he drilled 9000 3's.  Last night was still awesome and happy the kids got a w in that atmosphere under their belt. On to next year.

goredmen

« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2017, 02:13:18 PM »
Again it will be a bit of a strange occurrence.  SJU would have won all 8 BE games they were competitive in including last night but their 12 losses were essentially blowouts for the most part.  For the most part they had little to no chance to win the 12 games they ultimately would lose.

Not sure what you mean.  I noted this under the Providence game thread as something I expect to see change next year.  Meaning not only do I expect more wins I expect to see them play better and be more competitive in their losses.
This the 14th time that we have not been competive at all. What makes you think we will be better next year?

Because they will be a year older, a year wiser, a year better and will have some help from two key transfers.  Why wouldn't you expect a fairly young team to improve significantly the following year?  With that improvement should come more wins and just generally more competitive play.

That's why this staff gets paid and why I expect them to get the team to significantly improve.
I disagree completely . We have played a handful of good games . Most games we get killed.
Another game giving up 100 points. Pathetic !

I don't understand I am talking about next year not this year.

Keep in mind next year will be the first time in 3 years (since Lavin's last year) that SJU will essentially bring back the core of the team.  There has been little continuity in CM's first two years.  His first year he essentially had to put together a complete makeshift roster.  Then many of those kids, Mvouika, Jones, Durand Johnson moved on as well.  And so this year was essentially another rebuilt roster year.  The difference is the kids he brought in this past year are kids that should be here for a few years. 

The continuity itself is bound to make this team better and guys like RF should improve and be key contributors next year.

After Sima and Yakwe went almost 180 degrees backwards from last year to this year, are you confident in this staff to make players better from one year to the next? I'm not until they show they can

Yes practices should be tougher and more competitive.  And Sima was hardly here enough to judge enough anyway.

Guys the staff is not going anywhere so if you want to just pound them over things that ALREADY happened as if being negative will change some results that occurred already as opposed to looking and seeing a roster that for the most part is coming back in tact with two eligible transfers and looking to improve ten that is your choice.

But I do expect a jump next year.

I don't want or expect this staff to go anywhere, but they do need to improve in all facets of the profession outside of actually convincing the talent to come here. All of the top programs in this conference seems to have a big gap over us in in-game coaching and player development. We should make a jump next year but unless the staff improves on that we still have a lower ceiling than we should. Maybe the staff will improve, time will tell

TONYD3

« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2017, 02:14:15 PM »
Mullin is not going any where. But If he makes no changes to his staff what makes anyone think the team will perform differently? Are Richmond and st. Jean going to attend a coaches clinic?

« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2017, 02:19:23 PM »
Mullin is not going any where. But If he makes no changes to his staff what makes anyone think the team will perform differently? Are Richmond and st. Jean going to attend a coaches clinic?

Mike Rice

« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2017, 02:57:54 PM »
As I have said before Mullin must hire a tough defensive coach with college experience at the major level. Mullin and Richmond never played defense at any level. "Run TMC" was all offense no D.   Louie's defense was his slow down offense.

Johnny23

« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2017, 04:10:48 PM »
The biggest move this program makes this off season may not be bringing in another impact recruit for next year. Rather it may be signing a veteran asst coach for in-game coaching, X's and O's and defense.

paultzman

« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2017, 04:17:32 PM »
The biggest move this program makes this off season may not be bringing in another impact recruit for next year. Rather it may be signing a veteran asst coach for in-game coaching, X's and O's and defense.
That will happen

« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2017, 04:20:34 PM »

That will happen
Only took Mo two years to see what most of us saw from day one. Oh well, better late than never.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 04:22:22 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2017, 04:29:59 PM »
That will happen

Hearing 2 spots on staff to open. You?

Johnny23

« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2017, 04:30:43 PM »
That will happen

Nice!

SJUFAN

« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2017, 04:30:45 PM »
That will happen

Who's leaving?

paultzman

« Reply #133 on: March 09, 2017, 05:07:17 PM »
That will happen

Who's leaving?

They have a vacant slot & can reshuffle current titles perhaps.

« Reply #134 on: March 09, 2017, 06:27:15 PM »

agree with the concept but how many teams above us get younger ? i have no idea. just asking

Foad

« Reply #135 on: March 09, 2017, 06:42:59 PM »

« Reply #136 on: March 09, 2017, 06:43:21 PM »
Only "2" if one moves to DOBO. I know you think Matt is leaving but isn't the other just reshuffling.

That will happen

Hearing 2 spots on staff to open. You?

« Reply #137 on: March 09, 2017, 08:29:47 PM »
BET recap: http://www.bigeastboards.com/
Thanks, your pictures of The Ends made the season coming to an end worthwhile.