2017 St. John's Basketball Grade

• 26 replies

Wods317

2017 St. John's Basketball Grade
« on: March 09, 2017, 02:24:54 PM »
After speaking to some friends thought this would be a good topic to start the offseason. What grade would you give the 2016-17 season?

I would give this year a C+. Improved win total in conference by 6 but had a lot of games that weren't close and some bad loses early. There was evidence of growth and cohesiveness with the team but the defense for the most part was terrible. Ponds, Ahmend, Lovett, and Owens are all valuable players with Mussini, Williams and Ellison valuable bench pieces for next season. I was expecting 15 wins or so so I would give them a C+ for this season

Re: 2017 St. John's Basketball Grade
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 02:26:14 PM »
Very reasonable Wods

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 02:48:31 PM »
I would give them a solid B. This team was actually watchable and fun unlike last year's team (for the most part). Going from 1 conference win last year to 8 is a huge accomplishment IMO. I was Mullin's biggest critic at the beginning of the year when we were losing to Delaware St. et al, but they generally played much better from late December on. We still have a long way to go, but as long as Lovett returns I think next year we should be a lot better and maybe even sniff bubble team status.

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 02:57:46 PM »
A very solid B...pushing B+. 

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 03:07:11 PM »
Wish I had you as a prof. May have made something out of myself.

ras

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 03:23:21 PM »
Wish I had you as a prof. May have made something out of myself.
+1

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 05:03:39 PM »
SJU has had a talent gap and a coaching gap which were both overall improved this year, or are both arguable?

Does the team have enough talent with this coaching staff to make a jump next to a definite NIT bid and a be a bubble team?

Or is there enough talent to overcome the coaching gap to make it to the next level?

Does anybody believe that Mullin can approve that much from this season to next. Last year was a hard year to judge anything because the team was under strength. This was a complete team this year so shouldn't the deficiencies be more obvious and easier to correct?

Why couldn't this staff improve enough to become better without hiring an experience coach?

Cougar O' Malley

Johnny23

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 05:10:16 PM »
Fair evaluation. I agree for the most part.

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 05:10:18 PM »
If they all played up to their talents and this was the absolute best they could do, they merit an A.  However, results have to account for something.  Finishing below .500 with a record setting beat down in the BET by Villanova probably merits them a poor grade.  I'll give them a D.

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 05:11:10 PM »
Nov-Dec: D. Jan - March: B+.

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 05:52:01 PM »
Korneiser just called Georgetown and ST Johns "2 sad ghost programs"

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 05:53:59 PM »

I read he said the same about a week ago.  Frankly, who gives a frack what Kornheiser has to say?

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 05:58:52 PM »

I read he said the same about a week ago.  Frankly, who gives a frack what Kornheiser has to say?

Not me. But someone does. Prime slot on Espn

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 06:18:33 PM »
B -

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 08:37:46 PM »

Unfortunately that represents the national perception despite those of us who are under the illusion that we are nationally relevant. Maybe someday but not right now coming off 8 and 14 win seasons.

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 08:38:58 PM »

Unfortunately that represents the national perception despite those of us who are under the illusion that we are nationally relevant. Maybe someday but not right now coming off 8 and 14 win seasons.

I'm not disputing what you're saying at all.  I was just referring to Kornheiser, and no one giving a damn what he says.

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 09:00:49 PM »

I'm not disputing what you're saying at all.  I was just referring to Kornheiser, and no one giving a damn what he says.
Agree with you there, ESPN has a lot of dopes in their line-up of talking heads.

derk

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 11:13:02 PM »
I would give them a solid B. This team was actually watchable and fun unlike last year's team (for the most part). Going from 1 conference win last year to 8 is a huge accomplishment IMO. I was Mullin's biggest critic at the beginning of the year when we were losing to Delaware St. et al, but they generally played much better from late December on. We still have a long way to go, but as long as Lovett returns I think next year we should be a lot better and maybe even sniff bubble team status.
[/quote

No way you can give a team that plays no defense and lost several games by 20 + points a B +.

I wish you were one of my Professors.

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 11:57:28 PM »

No way you can give a team that plays no defense and lost several games by 20 + points a B +.

I wish you were one of my Professors.

The goal for this season was to put the team in striking distance of dancing next season. We did that by winning a Big East game and improved 7 wins in conference play (and destroying Syracuse at the Dome which feels like a conference win). If we played Xavier or Creighton at home a few weeks later, we likely would have finished two games out of third in a conference that got 7 bids! We found out Ponds is a phenom and Owens and Ahmed are legit Big East starters. Mussini carved out a nice role as a shooter/scorer off the bench and rumors coming out of practice say Simon and Clark are for real.

Defense was a disaster. We couldn't stop the ball and help defense was very weak. That should get better with time/experience, and some added muscle. I think Clark and Simon alone will produce clear results there. That is 205 and 235 pounds, respectively.

Dan

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 01:35:13 AM »
C or maybe C+ if being kind.  Need to see a step forward next year.