LoVett
« on: March 09, 2017, 02:43:19 PM »
Per Zach B

Asked Marcus LoVett Jr. about returning to St. John's: "I don't know." #sjubb

paultzman

Re: LoVett
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 02:47:54 PM »
Per Zach B
Sources believe it can go either way with Marcus LoVett Jr returning. Will meet with family to figure it out. #sjubb Could go pro.

goredmen

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 02:50:39 PM »
Never short on drama around here

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 02:52:47 PM »
If he leaves will need to pick up a grad transfer PG in addition to a big.

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 02:55:54 PM »
Per Zach B

Asked Marcus LoVett Jr. about returning to St. John's: "I don't know." #sjubb

If this kid really wants to leave so bad, then we are better off long term if he just leaves now. The key is Ponds. We won't miss a beat with Ponds, Simon, Mussini, Ellison, and a JUCO/last
minute PG recruit.

We should compete for the tournament next year with or without him, but we might be able to do something big in two and three years.

paultzman

Re: LoVett Future
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 02:56:27 PM »
Apparently they have prepared for that if he splits.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 02:58:36 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 02:58:34 PM »
Lovett and another rotation player already out the door. An Assistant coach  actively looking for a power 5 job.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 03:05:15 PM »
Thanks, good to hear.

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 03:14:19 PM »

I hope we're also scouring the JUCO ranks, too.  There are some high-scoring D-1 JUCO guards who haven't committed anywhere, yet.  Just do their due diligence.

Wods317

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 03:15:58 PM »
This shouldn't come as shock because we have been hearing it for a while. If the kid wants to make money playing overseas then good luck to him but hopefully he comes back. This is the way of college basketball now.

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 03:17:29 PM »
Music to your ears. You said Lovett was staying a few days ago?

Lovett and another rotation player already out the door. An Assistant coach  actively looking for a power 5 job.

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 03:20:45 PM »

Yup. Only post what I hear. You guys like to shoot the messenger. Might be better off waiting for what lil Braziller tweets weeks later

ras

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 03:21:43 PM »
Who is the other player?

paultzman

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 03:23:08 PM »

I hope we're also scouring the JUCO ranks, too.  There are some high-scoring D-1 JUCO guards who haven't committed anywhere, yet.  Just do their due diligence.

Don't think they are, but we'll see. Have heard talk of a third transfer, "sit a year" type, on radar as well
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 03:25:27 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 03:26:53 PM »
Appreciate you posting what you hear. Always. But you've been calling this so music to your ears

Yup. Only post what I hear. You guys like to shoot the messenger. Might be better off waiting for what lil Braziller tweets weeks later

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 03:29:31 PM »
Appreciate you posting what you hear. Always. But you've been calling this so music to your ears

Not music, But we knew what we had with Lovett. Want to see him back, but at the same time, we can not make the tournament with or without him.  The transfers are an unknown.

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 03:37:00 PM »
He changes by the hour.

Unless a current committed/signed major recruit re-opens that SJU can land they are likely to be in the transfer market for both grad transfer and regular 1 year sit transfer.

Wods317

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 03:41:53 PM »
He changes by the hour.

Unless a current committed/signed major recruit re-opens that SJU can land they are likely to be in the transfer market for both grad transfer and regular 1 year sit transfer.

Thanks for filling us in, appreciate everyone passing along what they know.

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 04:29:17 PM »
He changes by the hour.

I think a quality sign and sit guard transfer with Lovett going pro now is a big net positive for this program. I have no tolerance for pro ambitions from undraftable underclassmen. I'm ready to move on.

We'll need an immediate low post scoring grad transfer, though. Who wouldn't want to come here to play 30 MPG  next to Owens and catch lobs from Ponds?

QuanMan

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 04:35:42 PM »
Anyone who reads these boards everyday shouldn't be surprised by this vague answer when asked directly after his final game of the season. It probably was Zach who was smart enough to ask him too.

Mullin has decades of NBA front office experience. He's as connected as you can be to the league. In the end I believe he'll trust his and Mitch's guidance.

If he wants to test the draft this year, go undrafted, and come back for July SessionII, the revised NBA collective bargaining agreement lets that now happen.

If he wants to compete with grown men overseas, so be it. Much like Jakaar, he's a very old rising sophomore, he doesn't want to be in class with kids 3 years younger than him knowing he won't graduate anyways. This is a means to an end for him, but he wears the jersey proud and was great this year. Either way I like him and hope the best for him. Gun to my head he stays.
Section 3
Section 116