• 191 replies

wpc77

Re: LoVett
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2017, 08:23:19 PM »
Baldi is right.   He's gone

« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2017, 08:27:55 PM »
Not surprising
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Johnny23

« Reply #102 on: March 14, 2017, 08:29:52 PM »
Some others will take his minutes but still a tough loss.

Marillac

« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2017, 09:03:38 PM »
Ha you've been waiting to send that one

Nah. But at the same time we can not make the C tournaments without him too. Maybe the transfer is better than him

Yeah losing our best players and having constant turnover is a good way to build a stable program and make the NCAA Tournament  :idiot2:

Can't have 2 5'8 guards who dont play defense.

Time is not on Lovetts side. He's going for the money now.

I will never fault a kid for leaving school and chasing the money when they can. But to suggest that him leaving is anything but bad for the program is nuts

Kids that think this way are cancerous to programs like SJU. It would be better to lose him now than after next  season. At least we can get a sign and sit transfer like Simon to step in with two or three years of college under his belt.

This isn't "addition by subtraction" and we likely won't be a better team without him next year but he's not Marcus Hatten either. We were a 14-win team. 

MCNPA

« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2017, 09:04:34 PM »
It sucks to lose him, but we can replace him with Ponds and more likely Simon.  Simon is still a 5-star transfer who was a PG, with slick handle and passing ability.  Boy trying to make light of it, but we will survive as long as we grab the talent I think we can. 

goredmen

« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2017, 09:16:59 PM »

Nah. But at the same time we can not make the C tournaments without him too. Maybe the transfer is better than him

Yeah losing our best players and having constant turnover is a good way to build a stable program and make the NCAA Tournament  :idiot2:

I will never fault a kid for leaving school and chasing the money when they can. But to suggest that him leaving is anything but bad for the program is nuts

Kids that think this way are cancerous to programs like SJU. It would be better to lose him now than after next  season. At least we can get a sign and sit transfer like Simon to step in with two or three years of college under his belt.

This isn't "addition by subtraction" and we likely won't be a better team without him next year but he's not Marcus Hatten either. We were a 14-win team. 

There is absolutely no way losing him now is better than losing him after next year. Lovett staying would not stop us from getting a sit-out transfer seeing how Lovett would leave after next season anyway and would be gone by the time that transfer was able to play. It's also far from a lock we'd get a sit-out PG transfer that's any good anyway

« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2017, 09:32:39 PM »
we likely won't be a better team without him next year but he's not Marcus Hatten either. We were a 14-win team.

Well, we need to be a better team with or without LoVett or we could easily find ourselves in predicament, if we don't land a solid, 2018 class.  We can't afford three straight crappy seasons.  We're going to need to be a beast on the grad transfers.

I know Paultzman doesn't believe we'll seriously scour the JUCO level, but I think we need to so.  There are some high-scoring D-1 JUCO's still available.  I'm sure there will be a few, 2017 kids who'll renege once the head coach of the respective schools have been either fired or took another gig. 

The 2017-2018 season is extremely imperative.

Poison

« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2017, 09:51:25 PM »
At the end of the day, a player who leaves early isn't something any coach can stop. Walter Berry made his bed. Lou didn't try and stop him. LoVett has made it clear that he thinks he's a pro, and he is. In Turkey or Iraq or China. If that's enough for him, and that's all he aspires to then he should go.

Marillac

« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2017, 11:26:36 PM »

There is absolutely no way losing him now is better than losing him after next year. Lovett staying would not stop us from getting a sit-out transfer seeing how Lovett would leave after next season anyway and would be gone by the time that transfer was able to play. It's also far from a lock we'd get a sit-out PG transfer that's any good anyway

How can you say that absolutely with Ponds and Simon on the roster? We were 4-1 when Lovett played 25 or less minutes and 2-1 when he didn't played at all. That was almost half of our wins.

Ponds will easily be one of the ten best PGs nationally next year IMO and Simon was ranked #35 (ahead of Lovett) overall in 2015. It's almost like you are assuming he'll be a bust because
of our luck. What if he's an animal like Owens? How many pts would a defensive stopper that hits the glass, didn't fall after every layup, got back on D, and could handle his own getting caught dow low with a wing or big on a switch makeup from this past squad? We couldn't stop anyone this year. The dual mighty mouse backcourt (which I do love) only works if they can be physical and play above average D.  That will never be Lovett's game. Simon is 35 lbs heavier and 7 inches taller.  How many minutes do you think Lovett would have played at Arizona as a 160 lb true freshman with Jackson-Cartwright, Alonzo Trier, Gabe York, and Kadeem Allen? We're talking about the highest rated kid we've had here (tied with Dom) in 20 years!

Any transfer that came here with Ponds, Lovett, and Simon each having three years left would  have needed their head checked. It will still be a hard sell without Lovett, but it opens
the door a bit--especially for a "pure" point.

« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2017, 11:35:02 PM »
Did some research on Simon and watched some of his tape. He seems to have the potential to be a slightly shorter version of Pointer with a better handle and jumper. If that's true, Ponds stays and we get stronger in the frontcourt, we will be just fine without Marcus.

« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2017, 11:36:50 PM »
Now we need Mussini to to come back

Marillac

« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2017, 11:36:56 PM »
we likely won't be a better team without him next year but he's not Marcus Hatten either. We were a 14-win team.

Well, we need to be a better team with or without LoVett or we could easily find ourselves in predicament, if we don't land a solid, 2018 class.  We can't afford three straight crappy seasons.  We're going to need to be a beast on the grad transfers.

I know Paultzman doesn't believe we'll seriously scour the JUCO level, but I think we need to so.  There are some high-scoring D-1 JUCO's still available.  I'm sure there will be a few, 2017 kids who'll renege once the head coach of the respective schools have been either fired or took another gig. 

If Lovett bolts, I honestly don't see a need for a JUCO or high school knee-jerk signing if the staff can get pledges from Ellison and Mussini to buy in to bigger roles. Simon will slide into the starting lineup, Mussini proved he can be a very solid 20 mpg scorer off the bench and Ellison can handle both spots. We also have Ahmed and Clark to add perimeter skills in smaller lineups  or even play SG in a pinch. Ahmed particularly provides a lot of insurance for the position. Providence did just fine with much less.

The priority has to be a grad transfer big man.

« Reply #112 on: March 14, 2017, 11:40:03 PM »

How can you say that absolutely with Ponds and Simon on the roster? We were 4-1 when Lovett played 25 or less minutes and 2-1 when he didn't played at all. That was almost half of our wins.

Ponds will easily be one of the ten best PGs nationally next year IMO and Simon was ranked #35 (ahead of Lovett) overall in 2015. It's almost like you are assuming he'll be a bust because
of our luck. What if he's an animal like Owens? How many pts would a defensive stopper that hits the glass, didn't fall after every layup, got back on D, and could handle his own getting caught dow low with a wing or big on a switch makeup from this past squad? We couldn't stop anyone this year. The dual mighty mouse backcourt (which I do love) only works if they can be physical and play above average D.  That will never be Lovett's game. Simon is 35 lbs heavier and 7 inches taller.  How many minutes do you think Lovett would have played at Arizona as a 160 lb true freshman with Jackson-Cartwright, Alonzo Trier, Gabe York, and Kadeem Allen? We're talking about the highest rated kid we've had here (tied with Dom) in 20 years!

Any transfer that came here with Ponds, Lovett, and Simon each having three years left would  have needed their head checked. It will still be a hard sell without Lovett, but it opens
the door a bit--especially for a "pure" point.

Transfer would be in front court.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2017, 11:40:59 PM »

I don't think he's going anywhere.

Marillac

« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2017, 11:42:55 PM »

Developing Mussini and Ellison are now big priorities. I dont think it's an overstatement to say that next season's success rests on Simon showing he was worthy of his #35 ranking.

Poison

« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2017, 11:46:37 PM »

If Lovett bolts, I honestly don't see a need for a JUCO or high school knee-jerk signing if the staff can get pledges from Ellison and Mussini to buy in to bigger roles. Simon will slide into the starting lineup, Mussini proved he can be a very solid 20 mpg scorer off the bench and Ellison can handle both spots. We also have Ahmed and Clark to add perimeter skills in smaller lineups  or even play SG in a pinch. Ahmed particularly provides a lot of insurance for the position. Providence did just fine with much less.

Ellison may improve if he decides to put in an incredible amount of work, but Mussini should know by now that this level is too much for his fragile frame and lack of talent.

« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2017, 11:48:26 PM »

I don't think he's going anywhere.

Hope so. Now we need someone to set up some plays to get him open, and a body to screen

« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2017, 11:48:36 PM »
Did some research on Simon and watched some of his tape. He seems to have the potential to be a slightly shorter version of Pointer with a better handle and jumper. If that's true, Ponds stays and we get stronger in the frontcourt, we will be just fine without Marcus.

Simon isn't a good shooter. He's built kind of like Rondo in a sense that he's freakishly long. 7' wingspan on 6'5 frame.

Has good court vision and feel. Wish his handle was tighter (maybe it's gotten better).

Ultimately he'd be better with Lovett

« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2017, 11:49:01 PM »

Ellison may improve if he decides to put in an incredible amount of work, but Mussini should know by now that this level is too much for his fragile frame and lack of talent.

Both Ellison and Ahmed need to come off the bench

Poison

« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2017, 11:55:25 PM »

Both Ellison and Ahmed need to come off the bench

So then who starts?