LoVett

• 191 replies
Re: LoVett
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2017, 12:15:14 PM »
The NBA isn't even in the discussion for Lovett after this season. If he's leaving he's going straight to Europe. He won't even be invited to the combine.

People who want him to leave now if he will leave after next year anyway are nuts. Him staying would be a huge boost short term and long term. Aside from him being a really good player to have next year, If he stays one more year that gives the staff a chance to pick up a sit-out transfer PG or a PG in the 2018 class. If he leaves now they have to find a PG immediately unless the staff is comfortable with Simon being the full-time PG.

I doubt anyone want or hoping LoVett leaves, but what can you do if he does leave?  Nothing, other than find another viable option.  I hope he stays as most posters.

He represented the school well.  It's fool's gold to think some JUCO can replace him.  See Bashir...good but not Lovett.  I hope he stays.

I doubt anyone believes a JUCO can actually replace him, but it's an option.  Besides, you never know whether the JUCO can adequately replace him or not.  I also wouldn't base Ahmed's play on other JUCO's.

Again, I'm sure most would like for LoVett to stay, but you have no choice other than to move on if he does bolt.

Of course, we'd move on.  I'm just saying we'd be way better off with him.  Without him, we're another sub 20 win irrelevancy guaranteed.  There's no one out there who's better.

I never said we wouldn't be better off with him.  I hope he returns.  I'm just saying, you don't know who is out there that could adequately fill his role from the JUCO ranks or grad transfer.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 12:19:03 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2017, 12:17:55 PM »
We would have a top HS recruit w a year of exp and redshirt year under his belt replacing him w Simon.

WE ARE ST JOHN'S, where  a team that has won 22 games combined the last 2 years and just lost a game by 75 points losing  1 of its two best players can be spun as a good thing

They are better with him. Losing him would be progress lost.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Wods317

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2017, 12:29:45 PM »
We would have a top HS recruit w a year of exp and redshirt year under his belt replacing him w Simon.

WE ARE ST JOHN'S, where  a team that has won 22 games combined the last 2 years and just lost a game by 75 points losing  1 of its two best players can be spun as a good thing

Agreed. Losing Lovett would probably makes us an NIT team next year and the growth would be minimalized from this season unless Simon is that good and we find a grad transfer.

« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2017, 12:31:37 PM »

Agreed. Losing Lovett would probably makes us an NIT team next year and the growth would be minimalized from this season unless Simon is that good and we find a grad transfer.

NIT is progress

Foad

« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2017, 12:37:30 PM »

Who'd we have to lose to make the NCAA tournament?

« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2017, 12:42:00 PM »

Maybe Amar or Ellison.

« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2017, 12:42:19 PM »

Wow that's a softball to hit out of the park

Marillac

« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2017, 01:00:21 PM »
Hearing Baldi is going to test the draft waters. His brother tweeted that they'll be seeking evaluations on him becoming a professional troll. What scares me about this is he might go pro even if it's clear that there is no future for him in America since he is infatuated with Europeans and would be as happy as Zach Brown in dressed as a tranny for Halloween if he could make a living as a professional troll in a place like Italy. Rumors coming out out of the SFP 25 year CHSAA championship reunion corroborate this.

MCNPA

« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2017, 01:01:22 PM »
Lovett 's father's basketball training program posted this earlier today. Can't blame kid if trying to hook up NBA. 

Just hope the money is enough and sustainable more than a year or two.

WE WIN WEST

@WeWinWest

@NBADraft will make it's decision on @Marcus_LoVett...not our opinions of him as a student athlete...#sjubbpic.twitter.com/vZO5ETlVR2

12:03 PM - 9 Mar 2017

To be blunt, this  just shows how uninformed parents steering the ship can mess things up for a kid.  No doubt Lovett can play, but I'm not even sure he's s shoe-in for Europe right away.  Obviously his father in his ear to get his undraftable freshman son to the NBA as soon as possible, when truth is it's not on the table at all for Lovett with his size and incomplete skill set.  If he's smart, he will not let his father force him into a bad decision, instead of mailing his college career away to play in the Philippines.  I have no doubt he will make money overseas, but NBA isn't happening any time soon.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 01:02:36 PM by MCNPA »

Poison

« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2017, 01:05:07 PM »
If Lovett returns, Mussini leaving should not be a shock to anyone with Simon coming on board.  Where does Mussini get consistent minutes with Ponds, Lovett, Simon and Ellison.  Would love for him to stay, but with the ability to play in Italy and the potential for severely diminished minutes, I get it.

I think Mussini has really carved out a nice role as an energy guy and shooter off the bench the second half of this season and only projects to get better as an upperclassman. Simon is known as a defender and slasher, but his shot is well below average. Mussini figures to be an excellent complement to him and Ponds,  and he could really help space the floor for them to get to the basket. He's also a great teammate. I'd be very disappointed to see him go.

Echo this.

A solution for some minutes would be redshirt Ellison. I don't know if thats been entertained at all.

I'd redshirt him and Yakwe. Yakwe first.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 01:05:23 PM by Poison »

« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2017, 01:07:48 PM »

On the other board your boy Monte was totally cool with no Lovett but went mysteriously radio silent at the thought of Mussini transferring. I think he is making an Italian mix tape for him.

« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2017, 01:32:34 PM »
Only pro team that will take him is the Tijuana Bomberos of CIBCOPA. My cousin had Anquille Carr in for a tryout last Wednesday.

redslope

« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2017, 01:45:05 PM »

On the other board your boy Monte was totally cool with no Lovett but went mysteriously radio silent at the thought of Mussini transferring. I think he is making an Italian mix tape for him.
I hope Mussini stays.  As I have said before, he was not used correctly as a frosh.  Being the PG and playing as many minutes as he did hurt his game.  This year his FG and 3PT percentages were both up (3PT went from 30% to 43%).  While his points/game dropped, he was more efficient in points per minute.  His t/o's dropped significantly.   Next season if used in a similar manner, I would expect him to average 10-12 PPG off the bench which ain't shabby.  His defense also improved as the season went on. 

Ellison also showed improvement across his stat line (except for FT %), including going from a negative assist to t/o ratio to a positive ratio in the current year.  He obviously has worked on his game and if he continues he will be a good 4 year player who could be a 1,000 PT SCORER at the end of his career which is not bad for someone getting 20 to 25 minutes/game.  He has the size which can't be taught.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 01:46:52 PM by redslope »

Marillac

« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2017, 01:48:03 PM »
Lovett 's father's basketball training program posted this earlier today. Can't blame kid if trying to hook up NBA. 

WE WIN WEST

@WeWinWest

@NBADraft will make it's decision on @Marcus_LoVett...not our opinions of him as a student athlete...#sjubbpic.twitter.com/vZO5ETlVR2

To be blunt, this  just shows how uninformed parents steering the ship can mess things up for a kid.  No doubt Lovett can play, but I'm not even sure he's s shoe-in for Europe right away.  Obviously his father in his ear to get his undraftable freshman son to the NBA as soon as possible, when truth is it's not on the table at all for Lovett with his size and incomplete skill set.  If he's smart, he will not let his father force him into a bad decision, instead of mailing his college career away to play in the Philippines.  I have no doubt he will make money overseas, but NBA isn't happening any time soon.

He's actually a shoe-in not to make top European leagues at this point. They are allowed 2-3 Americans per team and there are former first round picks like Johnny Flynn and Shane Larkin well ahead of him. Mussini has a MUCH better chance as a citizen.

« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2017, 01:59:21 PM »

WE WIN WEST

@WeWinWest

He's actually a shoe-in not to make top European leagues at this point. They are allowed 2-3 Americans per team and there are former first round picks like Johnny Flynn and Shane Larkin well ahead of him. Mussini has a MUCH better chance as a citizen.

Yup. Guards are a dime a dozen. My wife's cousin has been playing overseas for years, he's 6'9. They usually use the 2 Spots on bigs

« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2017, 02:57:14 PM »
Hearing Baldi is going to test the draft waters. His brother tweeted that they'll be seeking evaluations on him becoming a professional troll. What scares me about this is he might go pro even if it's clear that there is no future for him in America since he is infatuated with Europeans and would be as happy as Zach Brown in dressed as a tranny for Halloween if he could make a living as a professional troll in a place like Italy. Rumors coming out out of the SFP 25 year CHSAA championship reunion corroborate this.

LOL! March is prime trolling season. Cheers!

« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2017, 07:10:57 PM »

WE WIN WEST

@WeWinWest

Yup. Guards are a dime a dozen. My wife's cousin has been playing overseas for years, he's 6'9. They usually use the 2 Spots on bigs
what country is he playing in now ?

« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2017, 07:14:31 PM »

WE WIN WEST

@WeWinWest

Buenos Aires

redslope

« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2017, 07:50:30 PM »

WE WIN WEST

@WeWinWest

Buenos Aires

NOT a Country. ;).

« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2017, 09:54:18 PM »

WE WIN WEST

@WeWinWest

Buenos Aires
Very cool. Love that city