LoVett

• 191 replies
Re: LoVett
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2017, 10:48:23 PM »
If Lovett returns, Mussini leaving should not be a shock to anyone with Simon coming on board.  Where does Mussini get consistent minutes with Ponds, Lovett, Simon and Ellison.  Would love for him to stay, but with the ability to play in Italy and the potential for severely diminished minutes, I get it.

I think Mussini has really carved out a nice role as an energy guy and shooter off the bench the second half of this season and only projects to get better as an upperclassman. Simon is known as a defender and slasher, but his shot is well below average. Mussini figures to be an excellent complement to him and Ponds,  and he could really help space the floor for them to get to the basket. He's also a great teammate. I'd be very disappointed to see him go.

Echo this.

A solution for some minutes would be redshirt Ellison. I don't know if thats been entertained at all.

I'd redshirt him and Yakwe. Yakwe first.

Yakwe was supposed to redshirt last year. Him becoming eligible was a surprise.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2017, 08:46:19 AM »
Lovett 's father's basketball training program posted this earlier today. Can't blame kid if trying to hook up NBA. 

Just hope the money is enough and sustainable more than a year or two.

WE WIN WEST

@WeWinWest

@NBADraft will make it's decision on @Marcus_LoVett...not our opinions of him as a student athlete...#sjubbpic.twitter.com/vZO5ETlVR2

12:03 PM - 9 Mar 2017

To be blunt, this  just shows how uninformed parents steering the ship can mess things up for a kid.  No doubt Lovett can play, but I'm not even sure he's s shoe-in for Europe right away.  Obviously his father in his ear to get his undraftable freshman son to the NBA as soon as possible, when truth is it's not on the table at all for Lovett with his size and incomplete skill set.  If he's smart, he will not let his father force him into a bad decision, instead of mailing his college career away to play in the Philippines.  I have no doubt he will make money overseas, but NBA isn't happening any time soon.

He's actually a shoe-in not to make top European leagues at this point. They are allowed 2-3 Americans per team and there are former first round picks like Johnny Flynn and Shane Larkin well ahead of him. Mussini has a MUCH better chance as a citizen.

Yup. Guards are a dime a dozen. My wife's cousin has been playing overseas for years, he's 6'9. They usually use the 2 Spots on bigs
what country is he playing in now ?

Buenos Aires

NOT a Country. ;).

Leave him alone he is on a roll

Foad

« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2017, 09:48:36 AM »
On the other board your boy Monte was totally cool with no Lovett but went mysteriously radio silent at the thought of Mussini transferring. I think he is making an Italian mix tape for him.

You should be happy about the Mussini lovefest. Here are the season statistics of the Italian assassin who is evidently an above average (letter grade B) college basketball player who hopefully will be a huge part of St John's program moving forward:

7.9 ppg / 1.7 reb / .8 ast / .9 to / .41 FG / .42 3 pt / .85 FT in 18 minutes a game as a sophomore

And here is WASJU fave Larry Wright

9.1 ppg / 1.3 reb / .5 ast / .6 to / .43 FG / .40 3 pt / .75 FT  on 18 minutes a game as a sophomore

Uncanny isn't it: they're almost exactly the same player. Well with one obvious difference. (Wright was taller.) It's just a shame his parents didn't think to name him Lorenzo, his jersey would be hanging in the rafters at the Lou.

« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2017, 10:59:18 PM »
Maybe Braziller should ask Mussini if he's leaving. Wonder why he asked Lovett? Hmm

Because no one cares what Mussini is doing

Speak for yourself

« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2017, 10:41:55 AM »
On the other board your boy Monte was totally cool with no Lovett but went mysteriously radio silent at the thought of Mussini transferring. I think he is making an Italian mix tape for him.

You should be happy about the Mussini lovefest. Here are the season statistics of the Italian assassin who is evidently an above average (letter grade B) college basketball player who hopefully will be a huge part of St John's program moving forward:

7.9 ppg / 1.7 reb / .8 ast / .9 to / .41 FG / .42 3 pt / .85 FT in 18 minutes a game as a sophomore

And here is WASJU fave Larry Wright

9.1 ppg / 1.3 reb / .5 ast / .6 to / .43 FG / .40 3 pt / .75 FT  on 18 minutes a game as a sophomore

Uncanny isn't it: they're almost exactly the same player. Well with one obvious difference. (Wright was taller.) It's just a shame his parents didn't think to name him Lorenzo, his jersey would be hanging in the rafters at the Lou.

He was taller, better looking with a beautiful looking jumper.
In fairness to Mussini if he was on those Norm teams he might have been my 2nd favorite player.

« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2017, 11:26:39 PM »
Maybe Braziller should ask Mussini if he's leaving. Wonder why he asked Lovett? Hmm

Because no one cares what Mussini is doing

Speak for yourself
I can't imagine a better first post from Monte :)

« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2017, 03:13:03 PM »
Good luck to Lovett

« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2017, 03:36:19 PM »
Ha you've been waiting to send that one

« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2017, 03:50:33 PM »

Nah. But at the same time we can not make the C tournaments without him too. Maybe the transfer is better than him

goredmen

« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2017, 04:07:03 PM »

Nah. But at the same time we can not make the C tournaments without him too. Maybe the transfer is better than him

Yeah losing our best players and having constant turnover is a good way to build a stable program and make the NCAA Tournament  :idiot2:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 04:07:49 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2017, 04:19:59 PM »

Yeah losing our best players and having constant turnover is a good way to build a stable program and make the NCAA Tournament  :idiot2:

Can't have 2 5'8 guards who dont play defense.

Time is not on Lovetts side. He's going for the money now.

« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2017, 04:21:34 PM »

Constant turnover seems to work in New Ro

Foad

« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2017, 04:23:28 PM »

Constant turnover seems to work in New Ro

Things are different for mid majors.

ras

« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2017, 04:41:22 PM »

What transfer?

« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2017, 04:46:34 PM »

What transfer?

Simon

ras

« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2017, 05:48:26 PM »
He certainly provides more size.

goredmen

« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2017, 06:37:15 PM »

Can't have 2 5'8 guards who dont play defense.

Time is not on Lovetts side. He's going for the money now.

I will never fault a kid for leaving school and chasing the money when they can. But to suggest that him leaving is anything but bad for the program is nuts

« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2017, 07:23:36 PM »
kid was a positive "face" of SJUBB and part of batman and robin to the press/TV commentators. Nothing good comes with him leaving, but you can never fault them for going. 21 and looking at the prospects of trying to make the NBA at that height is tough. Europe will be his tickets even if he stays.

Wods317

« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2017, 07:26:00 PM »
Seems to love the program and his teammates. I think this is a tough decision. The life span of a professional ball player can be short and if he wants to start cashing in now then can't fault him. Hope he comes back for one more run.

Johnny23

« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2017, 08:06:36 PM »
Let's all hope Lovett stays as he's a dynamic weapon for us.